X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Remembering Bills-Browns ’89 Playoff

Come the fourth quarter Buffalo was down 10 points and Marv Levy had a decision to make.

"I said at the beginning of the quarter that we were going to go into our two-minute drill and we took it down and scored and got the ball back and got a field goal," said Levy. "We got the ball back and went right down a second time and scored again. It was the genesis of our no huddle."

"We were forced to run no huddle because our defense could not stop Bernie Kosar," said Tasker. "Both teams were running up and down the field, and that's when Jim (Kelly) said, 'Screw it we're going no huddle.' That's the first time when they realized our line could hold up."

"As we were walking off the field in Cleveland I looked at Ted Marchibroda and Ted said, 'Marv maybe that's our offense.' And I said to him, 'Let's talk about it.' And that offseason we decided that we would begin the next season and start the first game in the no huddle approach.

"We went out against Indianapolis in the opener and went right down the field and scored. And got it the next time and scored again. And after the game was over it was official. That was our offense."

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Remembering Bills-Browns ’89 Playoff

raise your glass to better times
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
      we're slowing getting there. I'm sure that MArv and Dick want someone who can bring out the best in their offensive players. Someone who can make them over achieve.

Coming into this season it was supposed of the strength on this team. The opposite happened, the D is the one carrying this team with supposedly less talent.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

nice article. i remember specific moments of that game, i was only 11. i remember the harmon drop and then the matthews interception. everyone was pissed at that throw.

this article makes you wonder if they could have sorted their issues out earlier and played well during the season if we could have gone to 5 superbowls in a row and one 1 of them.

What if????

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

I was at this game and also have it on VHS, my mother taped it for me.

I remember the Metcalf KR TD, Reed burning the Browns secondary, Beebe bouncing off his head and Felix Wright catching the ball before it hit the ground - ruled incomplete on the field too, how? I don't know, Matthews interception at the goal line...

And the next week Cleveland getting trounced by the Broncos.

Comment

• historypete
            • Feb 2005

I wanted to kill Ronnie Harmon after that game. I couldn't believe he dropped that pass.

I remember so much from that game. Don Beebe getting bounced off his head. Thurman coming into his own as a recieving threat. The beginning of the no huddle offense. That was a great game to watch.

Comment

• G Wolly
              • Mar 2004

I think we need to pull out some no-huddles and trick plays to keep em on their feet.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

the beebe head incident was so horrible, because i remember they kept showing it over and over again to see if it was intercepted. and it was obvious it was intercepted. it was just naseuating to see that while he layed on the ground.

and yes, losing in the end sucked pretty badly.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Immortal Corruptor
                  I think we need to pull out some no-huddles and trick plays to keep em on their feet.
                  we want to slow down the game for the Browns or it will turn into a shootout which we don't want. Keep their O freezing on the bench.
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• G Wolly
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    we want to slow down the game for the Browns or it will turn into a shootout which we don't want. Keep their O freezing on the bench.
                    Yea makes sense, but if we're on 3rd and longs and need the first down to keep the clock on our side, why not throw up a flea-flicker or an end-around to Roscoe?

And on 4th and short, we know Moorman can run, fake a punt once in awhile

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                      • Jul 2002

As an Iowa alumnus, I have painful memories of Ronnie Harmon...

The 4 turnovers in the Rose Bowl....

The DROP...

I hate him with the fire of 1000 suns...

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        we're slowing getting there. I'm sure that MArv and Dick want someone who can bring out the best in their offensive players. Someone who can make them over achieve.

Coming into this season it was supposed of the strength on this team. The opposite happened, the D is the one carrying this team with supposedly less talent.
                        one would think an intelligent football fan like yourself could see the obvious...that JP drove this team into the ground this year with his crappy play at QB.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

All I remember about that game is the ball going through Ronnie Harmon's hands in the end zone. And him not being there the next year.

Comment

• billsburgh
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            ah the good old days.

Originally posted by Typ0
                            one would think an intelligent football fan like yourself could see the obvious...that JP drove this team into the ground this year with his crappy play at QB.
                            sad but true

Comment

Working...
                            X