So What's the Story Behind Bermans Love of the Bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

So What's the Story Behind Bermans Love of the Bills?

I know he's a big fan but I've been looking up his bio's all over the place and it says ntohing about him ever being in Buffalo, working in Buffalo, or living there...

I've always assumed there was some reason why he likes the Bills...when he did/why did he become a fan? During the Super Bowl years..what?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I guess I'm just extremely bored with this crap football game on right now. Haha.
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Re: So What's the Story Behind Bermans Love of the Bills?

Actually thats not a bad question at all ive always kinda been curious about this myself.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• raphael120
      Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Devin
      Actually thats not a bad question at all ive always kinda been curious about this myself.
      Glad I'm not the only one who is clueless!

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

I love Boomer!....I still remember when he use to pick us against the 9ers every year for the Superbowl..."Nobody circles the wagons.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Slim
          • Apr 2004

I dont know. Second generation fan?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Good question. I'm not sure either but I'd really like to know.

Maybe the 4 SB appearances really earned his respect? Marv gave him a good talking to?

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Berman and ESPN were treated very well during the early Polian/Levy era when visiting training camp at Fredonia, if I remember correctly, and they just kind of hit it off.

Didn't hurt that the 'cab driver' in the organization made info available to Boomer at appropriate times.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsPride12
                • Dec 2004

Basically Jimbo always invited Boomer over to party and get hammered after big wins

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

I met Berman years ago at the Hartford Civic Center. My buddy and I were walking in the hallway and we seen him with his two kids. We said something like Hey Mr Berman, we are from Buffalo. He stopped and talked to us for like 15 minutes about how much he loves Buffalo. He was always invited by Jim Kelly to the parties after the games and he attended. He was just about the nicest guy I have ever met, especially with any kind of celeb status. I would assume the way he was treated by the city and the early 90s Bills is a huge reason why he likes the Bills. He is also a big guy.

Comment

• mybills
                    81 st zoner
                    • Jul 2002

You don't have to live in Buffalo to be a Bills fans. He went to college here in RI.
                    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

He seems like a Buffalo-type of guy. Down to earth, unpretentious, balding and chubby, not some slick, spiffed-up, model-look anchorman ... he's a regular guy, the kind you'd like to hang out in a bar with. That's his appeal.

I also like that he references hockey a lot more than the rest of ESPN.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Coach Sal
                        • Aug 2006

Back in 1988, after the strike season and the Bills went 7-8 and were a perennial loser, Berman liked what he saw out of the team and thought they were on the verge of something special.

So, in his pre-season SB pick, he picked "Bills vs. 49ers." Everyone knew the Niners would be good, but no one else picked the Bills. So, in a city that was starved for some positive attention (the Sabres sucked, too), Bills fans loved him for doing this and treated him like royalty every time he came to town.

When the team actually did start playing like SB contenders, it became like a badge of honor for him that he was the first one to pick the Bills. So, since they were good, and since everyone knew he was the first one to "Billieve," he also formed a great relationship with the organization (being good also helped the Bills ESPN exposure, which also gave Berman more fuel for this fire). They became his "adopted" team.

The Bills lost in the AFC championship game that year to Cincy. San Fran won the SB. So he picked them both again in 1989. And again the Niners made it and the Bills did not.

He then went on to pick "Bills vs. 49ers" for about another ten straight years! It became a national "joke," but also became a rallying cry for Berman. They became "his" Bills. And the fans, the city, and the organization always loved him for starting with them, and then sticking by them.

The funny thing is, for SEVEN straight seasons he actually had one of those teams right - SF,SF,BUF,BUF,BUF,BUF,SF. But they never both made it in at the same time - which was part of the reason why he kept picking them.

As Berman said when he picked them for the last time to play each other in back in about 2001, "I'm the first one on and the last one to leave."

That's where it all comes from.
                        Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                        And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                          Back in 1988, after the strike season and the Bills went 7-8 and were a perennial loser, Berman liked what he saw out of the team and thought they were on the verge of something special.

So, in his pre-season SB pick, he picked "Bills vs. 49ers." Everyone knew the Niners would be good, but no one else picked the Bills. So, in a city that was starved for some positive attention (the Sabres sucked, too), Bills fans loved him for doing this and treated him like royalty every time he came to town.

When the team actually did start playing like SB contenders, it became like a badge of honor for him that he was the first one to pick the Bills. So, since they were good, and since everyone knew he was the first one to "Billieve," he also formed a great relationship with the organization (being good also helped the Bills ESPN exposure, which also gave Berman more fuel for this fire). They became his "adopted" team.

The Bills lost in the AFC championship game that year to Cincy. San Fran won the SB. So he picked them both again in 1989. And again the Niners made it and the Bills did not.

He then went on to pick "Bills vs. 49ers" for about another ten straight years! It became a national "joke," but also became a rallying cry for Berman. They became "his" Bills. And the fans, the city, and the organization always loved him for starting with them, and then sticking by them.

The funny thing is, for SEVEN straight seasons he actually had one of those teams right - SF,SF,BUF,BUF,BUF,BUF,SF. But they never both made it in at the same time - which was part of the reason why he kept picking them.

As Berman said when he picked them for the last time to play each other in back in about 2001, "I'm the first one on and the last one to leave."

That's where it all comes from.
                          Thanks for the insight, Sal. I remeber those Bills/SF preseason picks very well. Something tells me he won't have those two in the Super Bowl together anytime soon! I love Berman's devotion though... what a wonderful treat it is to have someone of such high regard (media-wise) pulling for us on the national stage year in, year out.

Comment

• im4bflo
                            the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                            • Sep 2003

He came up with the circling the wagons thing too, we even gave him an award,
                            I know it had a wagon on it. BOOMER thanks for BILLIEVING man!

Comment

• JD
                              Sabres Zone
                              • Sep 2003

WHOP!
                              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                              X