PDA

View Full Version : So What's the Story Behind Bermans Love of the Bills?

raphael120
12-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I know he's a big fan but I've been looking up his bio's all over the place and it says ntohing about him ever being in Buffalo, working in Buffalo, or living there...

I've always assumed there was some reason why he likes the Bills...when he did/why did he become a fan? During the Super Bowl years..what?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I guess I'm just extremely bored with this crap football game on right now. Haha.

Devin
12-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Actually thats not a bad question at all ive always kinda been curious about this myself.

raphael120
12-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Actually thats not a bad question at all ive always kinda been curious about this myself.

Glad I'm not the only one who is clueless!

Luisito23
12-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I love Boomer!....I still remember when he use to pick us against the 9ers every year for the Superbowl..."Nobody circles the wagons.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

Slim
12-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I dont know. Second generation fan?

Mr. Miyagi
12-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Good question. I'm not sure either but I'd really like to know.

Maybe the 4 SB appearances really earned his respect? Marv gave him a good talking to?

YardRat
12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Berman and ESPN were treated very well during the early Polian/Levy era when visiting training camp at Fredonia, if I remember correctly, and they just kind of hit it off.

Didn't hurt that the 'cab driver' in the organization made info available to Boomer at appropriate times.

BillsPride12
12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Basically Jimbo always invited Boomer over to party and get hammered after big wins

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-13-2007, 09:58 PM
I met Berman years ago at the Hartford Civic Center. My buddy and I were walking in the hallway and we seen him with his two kids. We said something like Hey Mr Berman, we are from Buffalo. He stopped and talked to us for like 15 minutes about how much he loves Buffalo. He was always invited by Jim Kelly to the parties after the games and he attended. He was just about the nicest guy I have ever met, especially with any kind of celeb status. I would assume the way he was treated by the city and the early 90s Bills is a huge reason why he likes the Bills. He is also a big guy.

mybills
12-13-2007, 10:12 PM
You don't have to live in Buffalo to be a Bills fans. He went to college here in RI.

Philagape
12-13-2007, 10:18 PM
He seems like a Buffalo-type of guy. Down to earth, unpretentious, balding and chubby, not some slick, spiffed-up, model-look anchorman ... he's a regular guy, the kind you'd like to hang out in a bar with. That's his appeal.

I also like that he references hockey a lot more than the rest of ESPN.

Coach Sal
12-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Back in 1988, after the strike season and the Bills went 7-8 and were a perennial loser, Berman liked what he saw out of the team and thought they were on the verge of something special.

So, in his pre-season SB pick, he picked "Bills vs. 49ers." Everyone knew the Niners would be good, but no one else picked the Bills. So, in a city that was starved for some positive attention (the Sabres sucked, too), Bills fans loved him for doing this and treated him like royalty every time he came to town.

When the team actually did start playing like SB contenders, it became like a badge of honor for him that he was the first one to pick the Bills. So, since they were good, and since everyone knew he was the first one to "Billieve," he also formed a great relationship with the organization (being good also helped the Bills ESPN exposure, which also gave Berman more fuel for this fire). They became his "adopted" team.

The Bills lost in the AFC championship game that year to Cincy. San Fran won the SB. So he picked them both again in 1989. And again the Niners made it and the Bills did not.

He then went on to pick "Bills vs. 49ers" for about another ten straight years! It became a national "joke," but also became a rallying cry for Berman. They became "his" Bills. And the fans, the city, and the organization always loved him for starting with them, and then sticking by them.

The funny thing is, for SEVEN straight seasons he actually had one of those teams right - SF,SF,BUF,BUF,BUF,BUF,SF. But they never both made it in at the same time - which was part of the reason why he kept picking them.

As Berman said when he picked them for the last time to play each other in back in about 2001, "I'm the first one on and the last one to leave."

That's where it all comes from.

Don't Panic
12-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Back in 1988, after the strike season and the Bills went 7-8 and were a perennial loser, Berman liked what he saw out of the team and thought they were on the verge of something special.

So, in his pre-season SB pick, he picked "Bills vs. 49ers." Everyone knew the Niners would be good, but no one else picked the Bills. So, in a city that was starved for some positive attention (the Sabres sucked, too), Bills fans loved him for doing this and treated him like royalty every time he came to town.

When the team actually did start playing like SB contenders, it became like a badge of honor for him that he was the first one to pick the Bills. So, since they were good, and since everyone knew he was the first one to "Billieve," he also formed a great relationship with the organization (being good also helped the Bills ESPN exposure, which also gave Berman more fuel for this fire). They became his "adopted" team.

The Bills lost in the AFC championship game that year to Cincy. San Fran won the SB. So he picked them both again in 1989. And again the Niners made it and the Bills did not.

He then went on to pick "Bills vs. 49ers" for about another ten straight years! It became a national "joke," but also became a rallying cry for Berman. They became "his" Bills. And the fans, the city, and the organization always loved him for starting with them, and then sticking by them.

The funny thing is, for SEVEN straight seasons he actually had one of those teams right - SF,SF,BUF,BUF,BUF,BUF,SF. But they never both made it in at the same time - which was part of the reason why he kept picking them.

As Berman said when he picked them for the last time to play each other in back in about 2001, "I'm the first one on and the last one to leave."

That's where it all comes from.

Thanks for the insight, Sal. I remeber those Bills/SF preseason picks very well. Something tells me he won't have those two in the Super Bowl together anytime soon! I love Berman's devotion though... what a wonderful treat it is to have someone of such high regard (media-wise) pulling for us on the national stage year in, year out.

im4bflo
12-13-2007, 11:34 PM
He came up with the circling the wagons thing too, we even gave him an award,
I know it had a wagon on it. BOOMER thanks for BILLIEVING man!

JD
12-13-2007, 11:56 PM
WHOP!

shelby
12-14-2007, 03:48 AM
Berman has always been the most entertaining sportscaster to watch. The fact that he's a Bills fan only makes it better.

"Oh those tricky Bills..."

LtFinFan66
12-14-2007, 03:55 AM
You don't have to live in Buffalo to be a Bills fans. He went to college here in RI.No ****. That's why people are trying to find out exactly why he does seem to dig the Bills

mybills
12-14-2007, 05:34 AM
No ****. That's why people are trying to find out exactly why he does seem to dig the Bills
:coocoo:

LtFinFan66
12-14-2007, 05:39 AM
I know you are. We all know you are. No need to call yourself out mybills:idunno:

mybills
12-14-2007, 05:46 AM
What is your problem? It wasn't mentioned that he went to college here, so I posted it.

Ironically, I'm pretty sure it was Brown University.

LtFinFan66
12-14-2007, 05:56 AM
I realize what you posted. But what does the fact that he went to college in RI have to do with the fact that you said that you don't have to be from Buffalo to be a Bills fan:idunno:

Don't Panic
12-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Someone's starting to show the strain of an 0-13 season....

LtFinFan66
12-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Whatever. I am un-phased by 0-13. **** happens. I am simply pointing out something:idunno:

I have never been to Miami and am a fan. Hell, I had never even been anywhere near Florida at the age i started liking them

raphael120
12-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Great answer, Coach Sal.

I was only 6 or 7 when the Bills starting making their run so I didnt watch much ESPN, or even know what ESPN was at the time so I'm a late comer to the party about the whole Berman thing. But now I know!

Mudflap1
12-14-2007, 11:56 AM
I actually had the pleasure of meeting Wade Phillips (who was our coach at the time) and Boomer at the same party... both were very nice guys...

In addition, Tim Russert and Adam Schein (foxsports) are Bills fans...

justasportsfan
12-14-2007, 12:08 PM
He seems like a Buffalo-type of guy.......balding and chubby, .
is that what native buffalonians look like? :idunno:

The last buffalo fan
12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
You don't have to live in Buffalo to be a Bills fans. He went to college here in RI.

Are you sure about it, mybills?

Johnny Bugmenot
12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
I actually had the pleasure of meeting Wade Phillips (who was our coach at the time) and Boomer at the same party... both were very nice guys...

Did he say "you're with me, leather?"

Mr. Pink
12-14-2007, 12:35 PM
He seems like a Buffalo-type of guy. Down to earth, unpretentious, balding and chubby, not some slick, spiffed-up, model-look anchorman ... he's a regular guy, the kind you'd like to hang out in a bar with. That's his appeal.

HEY! I resemble that remark.

mybills
12-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Are you sure about it, mybills?
yep!
http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Admission/studentlife/

cocamide
12-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Another guy who always gives the Bills props is Jim Rome. I think most people like the underdog, and they know how loyal the fans of cities like Buffalo and Cleveland are. In fact, I was hoping Detroit would finally get something going this year, and I'll pull for Arizona also.

DraftBoy
12-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Whatever. I am un-phased by 0-13. **** happens. I am simply pointing out something:idunno:

I have never been to Miami and am a fan. Hell, I had never even been anywhere near Florida at the age i started liking them

You've never been to Miami? Man South Beach is where its at!

Philagape
12-14-2007, 01:35 PM
is that what native buffalonians look like? :idunno:

Not as much as Rochester.

justasportsfan
12-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Not as much as Rochester.
Mikeys not bald...yet.

HAMMER
12-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Someone's starting to show the strain of an 0-13 season....
No Kidding, that or PMS.

LtFinFan66
12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
And I showed strain or PMS how exactly:idunno:

Because I was straightening out some ******ed posts??

im4bflo
12-14-2007, 08:56 PM
And I showed strain or PMS how exactly:idunno:

Because I was straightening out some ******ed posts??

Maybe try DECAF :idunno:

LtFinFan66
12-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Maybe try DECAF :idunno:Nah, decaf just doesn't cut it

Coach Sal
12-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Another guy who always gives the Bills props is Jim Rome.

Rome once said, "The NFL is a better league when the Bills are good."

All of us agree with you, Jim. :D

HHURRICANE
12-15-2007, 02:14 PM

I also like that he references hockey a lot more than the rest of ESPN.

I lived in the same town as him. He's not having a beer with many on this board. He still has a mighty ego just like everyone in the media.

He developed an infinity for the team during our glory years and of course the famed Oiler game.