PDA

View Full Version : What do all these workout numbers mean?

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-01-2003, 10:57 PM
arch 31, 2003) -- If you have been following all the workouts that potential draft picks have gone through, then you have heard about every kind of measurable drill. Nowadays, the moment a player finishes a workout, his results are on the Internet for all to read.

I get asked every day what the numbers all mean and how much credence do the clubs put into them. I thought it would be a good time to explain the significance of some of those scores and what the relationship between scores and positions are. I broke down some results into three areas:

A red flag
How a test relates to a position performance
How to separate pure speed from quickness
A red flag is when a player's performance can alter the final thinking about a young man. Keep in mind, the higher a player is projected to be taken, the more the scrutiny can be placed on a result. For example, if a defensive end is considered a sixth-round prospect and he runs a 4.8 in the 40-yard dash, it can be a good thing to improve his status. If a defensive end is considered to be a high first-round selection, the same 40-yard dash time can be an issue.

The higher the pick, the more under the microscope the player is. When a player drops two or three spots in the first round, he could lose millions of dollars. If a sixth-round talent drops a whole round, he will lose less than $100,000. Clubs save results for years and do correlation studies between on-field success and test scores.

As I went through lists of workout results, here are some red flag numbers for some of the top 100 draft candidates that could affect their ultimate selection position:

http://nfl.com/draft/story/6287986