X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

I actually liked Fairchild

If you heard Evans' show last night, you'll find some interesting comment from him regarding Fairchild. He mentioned Mularkey, the other OC he had in NFL, is really a "run" offense guru. The pass is setup by runs. I would guess that coming from Wisconsin, Lee should be no strangers to that type of things. Then he mentioned that Fairchild came in and he brought in completely new pass attacks that he has never seen before. "It opened my eye," as Lee put it.

I like Fairchild because I think he seemed to be fairly even heeled - not too high, not too low. And he's big on fundamentals. I'd venture to guess that he had to fix Losman's mechanics last year and the limitations in terms of throwing over the middle etc. (Martz's offense is known for forcing a defense to defend the entire field) made our offense looked so bad last year. He opened up a little bit towards the end, but still, he may not be comfortable with Losman to do all.

Edwards appeared to be gaining confidence of Fairchild much faster and he is allowing Trent to do more and more. Red zone passes is an obvious indicator that in Edwards first few games (including the Redskins game), Fairchild called very few pass plays.

It is somewhat surprising to me the PFW seems to think that the Bills wants to get an outsider for the OC. Maybe this organization thinks so highly about Edwards that they may want a system that best suits Edwards capability (WCO?).

I always thought Jauron is a conservative guy and run, run, run is his stamp on this offense. I'm afraid that Mularkey, as a OC, may look good in Jauron's eyes. But then again, hiring Fairchild in the first place, to me, means Jauron may have changed a bit.
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Re: I actually liked Fairchild

Mularkey quit because he didn't want to be in Buffalo any longer, his family couldn't take the constant criticism. It's a fear of mine too, but I don't think it will happen. I think our guys have enough self-awareness to know that's not a good idea.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Mularkey is not coming back. Ever.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Jim Fassel will be our next OC.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
          Jim Fassel will be our next OC.
          Coughlin will be fired and Dick will bring back....Gilbride.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

The QB was a more of a detriment to the OC's rep than vice-versa, I think history will end up showing.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mudflap1
              Next Question!
              • Nov 2004

Dude... I'm not the biggest Gilbride fan, but he wasn't the whole problem. Tommy D. didn't bring in offensive linemen to protect the statue at QB, and Gilbride's offense is complicated, not drop back for 5 seconds and heave the ball 50 yards to your fastest WR.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

Maybe a college OC?

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

please no kevin kildrive
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                    please no kevin kildrive
                    Why not? I think we havea DC that can actually land a clean right hook to KG's jaw.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

two people in the world id like to sock in the face

karl rove and that guy

ok three counting you. four op. five lecter. six omg did i just say that
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        Coughlin will be fired and Dick will bring back....Gilbride.
                        Justasportsfan
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                          two people in the world id like to sock in the face

karl rove and that guy

ok three counting you. four op. five lecter. six omg did i just say that

what do I have to do to be no. 1 on that list?
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

What about the former HC of Standford, who was Pitt's HC , and who was Ohio's OC? I believe Trent played under him. Wait the name is Walt Harris. What is he doing these days?

Comment

• madness
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                              What about the former HC of Standford, who was Pitt's HC , and who was Ohio's OC? I believe Trent played under him. Wait the name is Walt Harris. What is he doing these days?
                              Good question. Very good coach and might be more tolerable at the NFL level but runs a WCO. I haven't heard anything about him since he got fired from Stanford.

Bio off of Wiki...

Harris has a reputation as a good coach of quarterbacks and the passing game, with a background in the West Coast Offense. As a college coach, Harris has coached 14 quarterbacks who went on to the NFL. Harris coached two wide receivers at Pitt who won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the best receiver in the nation -- Antonio Bryant (2000) and Larry Fitzgerald (2003). Harris was the QB coach for Ohio State when Terry Glenn won the Biletnikoff Award (1995). Harris also coached Boomer Esiason to a Pro Bowl season with the New York Jets in 1993. According to Esiason, "Walt Harris is right up there with the best. There's nobody better."[citation needed]
                              While his football prowess is unquestioned, Harris has been viewed by many player to be overbearing and difficult to work with. One article about his departure from Stanford called him a "disciplinarian" and reported that a player briefly quit the team in protest of his coaching style. [1] Bryant claimed that one of the main reasons for not returning for a senior year at Pittsburgh was due to the fact that he would have to deal with Harris once again. USC Head Coach Pete Carroll's son, Brennan, played for Harris and reportedly used stories of Harris' coaching style to lure recruits away from Harris when Harris was coaching Pac-10 rival Stanford. However, when Harris left The University of Pittsburgh, quarterback Tyler Palko was one of several players very outspoken about their desire to keep Harris in their program.
                              Harris received a bachelor's degree (1968) and a master's degree (1969) from the University of the Pacific, where he played college football. Harris attended El Camino High School in South San Francisco.

Comment

Working...
                              X