PDA

View Full Version : So Who Still Thinks We had a Tough Schedule?

Wys Guy
12-15-2007, 07:07 AM
At the beginning of the season everyone ooed and awed at how tough our schedule was. Naturally my take is that we never really know until it's been played out, which drew fire this year as just about everything else that comes off my keyboard.

But the aggregate record of teams we've beaten, unless I'm mistaken, is 21-70.

We have played four top-10 teams in NE (twice), Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Jax for five other losses and with our odd game having been a loss to 6-8 and not good Denver.

So of the 13 games already played, 8 have clearly been against the league's worst (bottom half for sure, most bottom 10, Jets/Fins in 4 games bottom 5), while only 5 have been against good teams.

Does anyone still think that our schedule was difficult?

Mitchy moo
12-15-2007, 07:12 AM
At the beginning of the season everyone ooed and awed at how tough our schedule was. Naturally my take is that we never really know until it's been played out, which drew fire this year as just about everything else that comes off my keyboard.

We have played four top-10 teams in NE (twice), Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Jax for five other losses and with our odd game having been a loss to 6-8 and not good Denver.

So of the 13 games already played, 8 have clearly been against the league's worst (bottom half for sure, most bottom 10, Jets/Fins in 4 games bottom 5), while only 5 have been against good teams.

Your in the NFL, nothing is easy or for sure. Games have to be played and won or lost. As per easy, I would say that we have a better team than most this year and some things went our way and some things didn't.

Night Train
12-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Nope.

We beat the teams we should ( combined record of 18-47 ) amd lost to the quality teams. We are what we are. A below average to average team riddled with injuries and trying to fill obvious holes.

All the same, people predict a bad record for the Bills based on the overrating of other teams. Many become so hypercritical of their own squad that they blindly assume every other team does it better and has fewer holes. Surprise !

Welcome to the cap age where 20 + teams experience major ups and downs throughout the season. I realize the 7-6 record is not indicative of a good squad.

You can count the actual good NFL teams on one hand. But I still think the Bills are going in the right direction, long term.

Jan Reimers
12-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Don't forget, we still have good Cleveland (on the road) and Giants teams to play. And I would say that we're all surprised that the Ravens, Redskins, Bengals, Eagles and Broncos have not been better - and that the Jets and Dolphins have been so downright putrid.

I think with NE twice, Dallas, Pittsburgh (away), Jacksonville (away), Cleveland (away) and the Giants - plus other tough road games in Washington and Philadelphia - that our schedule probably ranks somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Patrick76777
12-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Someone is getting ready for a possible Bills loss. He smells the blood in the water.

Dude was nowhere to be found for 2 weeks, but the day before we play a really talented team he shows up.

So here's how it will play out:

Bills win by a decent amount, he will sneak back to deep waters
Bills pull out a close game, he'll make an excuse
Bills pull out a win because of a fluke, ie weather, cleveland playing poorly, he'll say we should have lost.
Bills lose in any fashion, he'll laugh, tell us that he knew it would happen, and didn't even bother watching the game and tell us how dumb we are for getting out hopes up.

Can't wait until Monday.

RedEyE
12-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Someone is getting ready for a possible Bills loss. He smells the blood in the water.

Dude was nowhere to be found for 2 weeks, but the day before we play a really talented team he shows up.

Bills pull out a win because of a fluke, ie weather, cleveland playing poorly, he'll say we should have lost.
Bills lose in any fashion, he'll laugh, tell us that he knew it would happen, and didn't even bother watching the game and tell us how dumb we are for getting out hopes up.

Can't wait until Monday.

Agreed. I'm tired of his See, I told you so's. He crawls back into the BZ woodwork if Buffalo beats the Browns tomorrow.

LtBillsFan66
12-15-2007, 10:25 AM

Can't wait until Monday.

This guy you're describing sounds like a real a-hole.

don137
12-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Didn't Wys proclaim that we would have an absolute terrible record as well? He once again rather rain on the Bills fans parade instead of enjoy the season.

The problem with his assessment is the league is filled with a four powerhouses, a few middle of the road teams and some terrible teams. The four powerhouses have beat up on everybody and has skewed Wys's statistics to make everyone else appear very weak.
Look at Dallas, Indy, Green Bay and New England. They are a combined 47-5. With three of those losses coming against one of the other powerhouses. That means if you take out the games against each other they are 44-2 against the rest of the league. This makes every elses record appear very bad. Throw in the fact that the Bills had two games against a Division III school in the Dolphins and this skews the Bills numbers even more. I guess they should of just lost the game.

I am sure all the other teams in the league that are in playoff contention have a similar record as the Bills against teams they have beaten vs teams the record of teams they lost too.
I guess unless you are one of the four top teams you just suck as implied by Wys and we mine as well throw in the towel. Why enjoy the game?

HAMMER
12-15-2007, 10:30 AM
This guy you're describing sounds like a real a-hole.
BINGO!

LtBillsFan66
12-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Didn't Wys proclaim that we would have an absolute terrible record as well? He once again rather rain on the Bills fans parade instead of enjoy the season.

The problem with his assessment is the league is filled with a four powerhouses, a few middle of the road teams and some terrible teams. The four powerhouses have beat up on everybody and has skewed Wys's statistics to make everyone else appear very weak.
Look at Dallas, Indy, Green Bay and New England. They are a combined 47-5. With three of those losses coming against one of the other powerhouses. That means if you take out the games against each other they are 44-2 against the rest of the league. This makes every elses record appear very bad. Throw in the fact that the Bills had two games against a Division III school in the Dolphins and this skews the Bills numbers even more. I guess they should of just lost the game.

I am sure all the other teams in the league that are in playoff contention have a similar record as the Bills against teams they have beaten vs teams the record of teams they lost too.
I guess unless you are one of the four top teams you just suck as implied by Wys and we mine as well throw in the towel. Why enjoy the game?

Exactly! Only an idiot wouldn't understand that.

streetkings01
12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
At the beginning of the season everyone ooed and awed at how tough the schedule was. Naturally my take is that the Bills never really know until it's been played out, which drew fire this year as just about everything else that comes off my keyboard.

But the aggregate record of teams the Bills beaten, unless I'm mistaken, is 21-70.

The Bills have played four top-10 teams in NE (twice), Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Jax for five other losses and with the Bills odd game having been a loss to 6-8 and not good Denver.

Does anyone still think that the Bills schedule was difficult?Fixed this for you! Unlike you and maybe a few others we are fans of this team.

patmoran2006
12-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, seeing how you had the Bills pegged for 5-6 wins this year (I had them for four) that means one of two things.

1- They've already surpassed you're prediction, which means they're a better team than you ever give them credit for.

or

2- You along with all the people you're talking about regarding the schedule were wrong; since you based your prediction on what was perceived pre-season as a tough schedule.

Pretty simple. Either you got the schedule wrong along with all the people you're talking about, or they're a better team.

raphael120
12-15-2007, 12:46 PM
The Bills are definitly a better team than I thought, and they're playing their asses off with 2nd & 3rd stringers, rookies, undrafted guys.

Out of all the teams in the league, we could be doing a HELL of a lot worse and we could be among the jokes in the league like the Ravens, Jets, Miami, Cincy, Atlanta, Bears...I could go on and on.

If you're not suprised, and you're not happy with the way this season has gone, then you're just plain skeptical of everything that happened. While we may not have won based on how good we are, but on how crappy the other team was, we still weren't as bad as the other team. I'll take being the dumb guy who capitalizes on the other dumber guys mistake. Better than bein the dumb guy who just got outplayed.

Goobylal
12-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Wys predicted the Bills would win fewer than 5 games. I tried to bet him before the season but he never responded even after I PM'd him like he asked, which turned out to be a smart move on his part. I know someone here DID bet with him, and won that bet over a month ago. I wonder what the terms were?

In any case, the schedule didn't turn out to be as hard as was predicted (2nd hardest in the NFL according to last year's records), but you can only play the schedule you're given. I knew the Bills would sweep the Dols and Jets and win at least one other game, which is why I wanted to bet Wys. The funny thing is, he still has "The Bills Suck" under his name.

But even I am surprised at their 7-6 record, even against bad teams, given their injuries.

Devin
12-15-2007, 01:23 PM

Difficult.....yes. As hard as initially thought? Of course not.

Course weve won all the games we were supposed to except maybe Denver. So I cant complain. Thats what we are supposed to do. A play or two more and we beat Denver and Dallas.

Either way with 13-14 players on IR, the QB issues....etc I am happy with what weve done so far.

justasportsfan
12-15-2007, 01:27 PM

Everyone playing us thought they had an easy schedule. Now they're saying "crap, we have to play the bills.OUr schedule is tough " BY the start of next year teams will be saying "we had a tough schedule because we faced the bills" :D

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2007, 01:30 PM

Whats a matter WYS are you upset your predictions didn't come through.... :(

BillsOverDolphins
12-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I've said it a million times before but I'll say it again...the Bills are a mediocre team. They beat bad teams and lose to good ones. I'm still pleasantly surprised though, cause I thought we we're going to be one of the bad teams

Devin
12-15-2007, 01:41 PM

Can't wait until Monday.

:bf1:

Great post.

Captain gameboy
12-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Too funny.

That wasn't your "take" on July 20th.

Here it was.

From Wys:
"[B]Our schedule, due to the fact that we're gonna have a defense capable of being pushed all over the field, coupled with an offense possessing only one proven weapon, a QB lacking a solid short game, and a mystery-meat RB running behind a very questionable OL after LT and LG, has us playing 8 teams up front all better than we are."/B]

You were the one who brought it up, and now you say your position is that:
"we never know until its played out?"

Okeedokey.

I've won my bet, and so did others.
We would have had just as easy a time admitting that we were wrong instead of claiming otherwise.
It is just pro sports. It is not a thing that can be "analyzed" or predicted from a non involved person's perspective, and believe me, we are not "involved."
None of us.

SquishDaFish
12-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Every team is a team in the NFL where anyone can win on any given sunday. Nothing is EASY. Get over yourself. EGOTISTIC **** We are doing damn good and are in the playoff HUNT so stop with the negative crap

Goobylal
12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
BTW, Langston Walker was a GREAT addition (while trading Darwin Walker looks like a masterstroke, as the Bears are disappointed with him) and McCargo has been a beast. I hope Butler adds more strength over the off-season and they find a better center than Fowler. They also need another threat at WR and a real TE.

YardRat
12-15-2007, 03:10 PM

And your prediction for overall wins was........?

hydro
12-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Wys still hasn't posted in this thread since his original post. I guess he can't take the heat.... :idunno:

jamze132
12-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Wys has a case of the "Kipers".

Oaf
12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
:couch: Wys :ontome:

:club:

YardRat
12-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Wys still hasn't posted in this thread since his original post. I guess he can't take the heat.... :idunno:

Hiding in the bushes, laying low, waiting for the result of tomorrows game.

Don't worry...If the Bills don't win he'll pop up with all guns blazing.

TigerJ
12-15-2007, 08:36 PM
My view is pretty much the same. Based on win-loss records in 2006, we had a tough schedule, but teams never stay the same. A few teams on Buffalo's scheldule got stronger (New England). Quite a few got weaker.

YardRat
12-15-2007, 08:43 PM
My view is pretty much the same. Based on win-loss records in 2006, we had a tough schedule, but teams never stay the same. A few teams on Buffalo's scheldule got stronger (New England). Quite a few got weaker.

That happens every year...That's why 'strength of schedule' doesn't mean squat for pre-season prognostications.

TigerJ
12-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree.