PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Bills QB keeps his cool

shelby
12-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Bill Walsh's "diamond in the rough" is getting lots of lovin' from the media these days.:up:

Coaches, teammates and opponents rave about Trent Edwards' unflappability. They talk about how the Bills rookie quarterback doesn't get rattled, even when confronted with third-and-long.

If they knew the young man's background, they'd understand why.

Part of it has to do with his upbringing, and the influence of his parents and two older sisters.
And part of it has to do with his brush with tragedy during his sophomore year at Stanford University. After being thrown into a 2004 game during garbage time, Edwards suffered a severe charley horse. The pain became so excruciating that he checked himself into the hospital a few hours after the game ended.
Good thing he did.

Edwards wound up losing eight pints of blood and underwent three operations.

Doctors told him if he had not come to the hospital when he did, they probably would have had to amputate his leg.
After surgery, Edwards spent time in the ICU. Some of the people he met there were not as fortunate.

"It makes you count your blessings," he said. "It helps put things in perspective."
Perspective has rarely been a problem for the native of Los Gatos, Calif. This wise-beyond-his-years 24-year-old seems to have a handle on matters in times good and bad.
After throwing four touchdown passes in last Sunday's rout of Miami, Edwards was pleased but not ecstatic. He was quick to point out that he had completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes. He said there were several things he needed to correct before the Bills played the Browns in Cleveland this afternoon in a game with playoff implications.
"I'm happy about the opportunities I've gotten, but you can never get complacent in this game," said Edwards, who is 5-1 as a starter. "I still have a lot to learn about the pro game, but my confidence is growing."
While sidelined with a severely bruised wrist four weeks ago, Edwards spent much of the New England game observing Tom Brady carve up the Bills.

"I learned a lot by watching him play," he said. "He might miss a throw, but he's right back up there the next play as if nothing happened. He performs with such confidence, and I'm learning that the quarterback position needs to be played that way at this level." Edwards' progress has been evident since he returned to the lineup three weeks ago. His 30-yard pass to Josh Reed set up the decisive field goal against Washington on Dec. 2, and last week he allayed any concerns about his arm strength or his ability to finish drives against the hapless Dolphins

full story (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071216/SPORTS0102/712160368/1021/sports03)

madness
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Wow, I didn't know he almost lost his leg.

PcA125
12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
hahah i just saw that in the paper. good story

footballhottie
12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
is he starting today?

shelby
12-16-2007, 06:36 PM

JD
12-16-2007, 08:27 PM
is he starting today?
:fishy:

Philagape
12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
He has a ways to go as far as consistency in passing, but in three straight games now he hasn't been sacked or turned the ball over. For a rookie, that's astounding.

madness
12-17-2007, 12:54 PM
If I ever see him wearing gloves again in a game, I'm going to go out there and tackle the ****er myself.