PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: STEVE FAIRCHILD Fairchild Threads merged

OpIv37
12-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Jauron should have told him to take a hike after he took that college job. I can't wait for him to leave town.

3 timeouts and 1:20 left and we do 3 straight runs and don't even try to score. Gutless and pathetic.

oh, and that reverse to Josh Reed was an awful call that killed the drive.

This guy can't leave soon enough.

Lexwhat
12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Looks like Steve Fairchild has mailed it in. He doesn't want to call an offense that could possibly win us this game.

A win today might get us into the playoffs -- that means Fairchild's trip to Colorado State will be delayed...

OpIv37
12-16-2007, 01:31 PM
He didn't mail it in- he's always been this gutless and useless.

historypete
12-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Please pull your head out of your ***, and try to give your offense a chance to do something.

I wish this guy had left for Colorado St this week. I think there were 4 play calls all I half that were decent. The two playaction passes, one complete one not, the screen and Marshawn's big run because they actually spread the field.

Other than that I can't tell you how frustrating it is to watch Run, Run, Pass, Punt. Don't give me the weather crap either, because Cleveland is moving the ball through the air and are using spread formations. We should at least attempt to do the same. As usual, no creativity from our Offensive genius.

hammerbillsfan
12-16-2007, 01:33 PM
**** you Fairchild, way to mail it in

Kerr
12-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree. Hopefully he pulls his head out and delivers a better gameplan.

Kerr
12-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I agree. Hopefully he pulls his head out and delivers a better gameplan.

Novacane
12-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Thank you Colorado state. Suckers

Nighthawk
12-16-2007, 01:39 PM
OP, these coaches are awful and will be until they leave town. The majority of the time they are afraid to be aggressive and it is very aggravating to watch.

Philagape
12-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Another draw on third and long. :down:

Illmatic15
12-16-2007, 01:45 PM
why did fairdchild accept the job in the middle of a playoff race?? does he even care???

djjimkelly
12-16-2007, 01:50 PM
OP, these coaches are awful and will be until they leave town. The majority of the time they are afraid to be aggressive and it is very aggravating to watch.

these coaches took a dynamic player in JP then square pegged him in their **** SCHEME.

they got rid of most of the talent in LB core although fletcher sucked

the coaches here suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billsburgh
12-16-2007, 01:53 PM
he's scared ****less. the playcalling is so predicatalbe. WTF was that reverse call when they finally had something going. Dont even let him come back to Buffalo

billsburgh
12-16-2007, 02:18 PM
run run pass punt. repeat over and over.

Philagape
12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
ANOTHER run on 3rd and 8!! :mad:

djjimkelly
12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
FAIRCHILD WAS RUNNING CLOCK FOR THE BROWNS IN THE 3RD QUARTER lmao

Novacane
12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
these coaches took a dynamic player in JP

:lmao:

justasportsfan
12-16-2007, 03:02 PM
NOw I know. JP wasn't the problem .Our coaches were, especially Fairchild.

BidsJr
12-16-2007, 03:02 PM
he's scared ****less. the playcalling is so predicatalbe. WTF was that reverse call when they finally had something going. Dont even let him come back to Buffalo

Worst Offensive game plan ever.

chernobylwraiths
12-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Tell him we will send his things!

Illmatic15
12-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Bobby Petrino>Fairchild when it comes to being a man...

Mad Bomber
12-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Even the announcers were commenting on how predictable their running plays were.

historypete
12-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Who the **** calls a screen pass on 4th and 5 with 15 seconds left, on a field that does not allow slow developing plays to succeed. This guy is an absolute joke. Have fun in Colorado, jackass.

Jayhawk
12-16-2007, 03:07 PM
who the hell calls a dive on 3-8 ?

Captain gameboy

Absolutely.
I have never once complained about a coordinator's plan or game calls until this.

This should be laid at the hands of Steve Fairchild.

Get your uncomfortable qb into the shotgun and let him get the ball into Marshawn or Freddie's hands with about three yards between your best runner and a lb that cannot cut.
Remember the best play in the first half?
That was it.
A little screen that did just that.

It was so damned obvious.

Fitting end that he runs an idiotic lateral movement screen on the last play, insisting that the receiver look back for the catch, then run through an entire defense.

Horrible.

Thurmal
Great gameplan today, Steve. Don't let Edwards throw one pass over five yards the entire game. They should tell him to go to Colorado St. right now. Un-*****-believable.

billsburgh
Even the announcers were commenting on how predictable their running plays were.
up until that last drive, I dont thing they ever threw it on 1st down

jamze132
12-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm ****ing sorry but that was the worst game I think I have seen from the offense in years. Yes I know it was snowing and both offenses had problems today. Edwards didn't exactly have the game of his life but the play calling was rediculous.

The Browns had AT LEAST 8 guys in the box all day and hardly blitzed and we did NOTHING except run up the middle. We didn't try to pass until we needed to near the end of the game. I know the wind was blowing and it was a blizard out there but there is no excuse for such a "vanilla" ****ty offense.

Get the **** out of Buffalo!!! LEAVE ASS!!!!!!!!!! YOu should have been gone many games ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The entire season, most Bills faithful have wanted you the **** out of Buffalo, its time... get the **** out!!!!! See ya!
!

Slim
12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Ageed.

Here's to hoping that the next oc actually has some balls. :beer:

SquishDaFish
12-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Agreed

SquishDaFish
12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Agreed

Novacane
12-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Just be thankful for C State or we'd be stuck with him for another year.

Oaf
12-16-2007, 03:28 PM
I like the reverse to Reed. Had it been excecuted better could have been a big gainer which we obviously hadn't been getting very often. Of course everyone blasts the call if it doesn't work.

If the Moorman fake fails, there'd be no end to the *****ing here.

jamze132
12-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Look at what we did today. Cleveland stacked the box and knew we wouldn't pass the ball. We ran, and ran, and ran right into the heart of their defense. Our offense was so bland we didn't even attempt very many cutbacks or draws. We just ran straight forward. It was ****ing reduclous.

Run, run, pass is way to predictable when the weather is ****ty. That was the kind of game we should have owned.

We made their defense look amazing.

historypete
12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm so sick and tired of *****ing about this guy, but every week he never ceases to amaze me at his horrible gameplans and playcalling. Today was the culmination of all the crap he has done all year. I still can't get over running a screen pass with 15 seconds left on 4th down. What a cowardly call. But I honestly don't expect anything different from this tool. He refuses to adjust, he keeps running the same sets. His playcalling is frightening predictable. I'm so happy he is gone. I just hope he leaves tomorrow. Give Van Pelt the job for the rest of the year.

mchurchfie
12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
these coaches took a dynamic player in JP :rofl::roflmao:

Philagape
12-16-2007, 03:48 PM
NOw I know. JP wasn't the problem .Our coaches were, especially Fairchild.

Why does it have to be one or the other? They all suck.

Turf
12-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm so glad Fairchild is leaving. He sucks. I feel everyones pain here.

HHURRICANE
12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
The Browns came in wanting to win. We came in trying not to lose.

Fairchild can't leave soon enough.

Crisis
12-16-2007, 03:51 PM
you know before this week i was kind of mad that fairchild was leaving

but holy **** this game convinced me he needed to go either way!

gtfo of buffalo fairchild.

justasportsfan
12-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Why does it have to be one or the other? They all suck.

well , maybe we're letting go of a good qb who was mishandled by bad playcalling. Maybe JP should pulled a Flutie and said, "screw this, this OC blows . I'm scrambling if I have to. It's my biggest weapon. Screw this staying in the pocket. I'm using my strengths:.

Mayb Flutie should've been our qb coach. He would've told Fairchild gp go F himself. .

historypete
12-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Excellent point HH. Our offensive gameplan and playcalling has always been "not to lose" rather than "to win".

Unfortunately, I think some of that comes from Jauron who would prefer a caretaker at QB rather than a playmaker. They always talk about someone who can manage a game, rather than win you a game. I hope our next Offensive Coordinator (Van Pelt for me) will change that mentality because I think Trent can be a playmaker, not just a caretaker.

HHURRICANE
12-16-2007, 03:56 PM
well , maybe we're letting go of a good qb who was mishandled by bad playcalling. Maybe JP should pulled a Flutie and said, "screw this, this OC blows . I'm scrambling if I have to. It's my biggest weapon. Screw this staying in the pocket. I'm using my strengths:.

Mayb Flutie should've been our qb coach. He would've told Fairchild gp go F himself. .

Dude, this just goes to prove want a giant hypocrit you have been. Calling for JP to come in during this game was hilarious. Was Gaines not going to drop the same pass form JP?

JP lost his job all on his own but keep playing that you are 100% behind Trent.

djjimkelly
12-16-2007, 03:57 PM
im making call both qbs on this roster next year and new OC will let them battle it out

Elminster
12-16-2007, 03:58 PM
The one good thing that comes out of losing is that there cannot be any excuses. It is clear that our offense is just not good enough to win consistently, and that's with changes at QB and three different running backs. It's still the same problem: our offense struggles to move the football, let alone score. I didn't get to watch the game....but...anyone care to tell me why we passed 33 times? I saw the conditions on the pre-game show, and I think you almost have to run it a lot more than we did. Did Steve Fairchild look outside his box?

Soooo...Fairchild accepted that college job? I couldn't be happier, though I almost wish he hadn't so Jauron would have to man up and fire one of his assistants. I suppose he still has a chance there on McNally...

Typ0
12-16-2007, 04:03 PM
There were a couple bad passes along with some big dropped balls that would have dicated a different outcome to this game.

historypete
12-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Elminster

All first half we ran the ball and got nowhere. It was literally Run, Run, Pass, Punt. Most of those throws were in the 4th Quarter. Steve Fairchild stayed inside his box to a fault, but that is nothing new.

Historian
12-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I agree OP.

Good riddence.

Elminster
12-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Elminster

All first half we ran the ball and got nowhere. It was literally Run, Run, Pass, Punt. Most of those throws were in the 4th Quarter. Steve Fairchild stayed inside his box to a fault, but that is nothing new.
Ah, alright then. You didn't need to tell me how the play-calling went, it's been the same for 14 games now. That I can correctly guess my offense's play-calling for an entire game consistently without seeing a second of actual game footage is truly frightening.

YardRat
12-16-2007, 04:08 PM
I liked the call on the reverse. Actually, immediately prior to the play being run, I thought it would be a good time to pull one out of the playbook.

Give the Cleveland defender credit for staying home like he was supposed to.

Lexwhat
12-16-2007, 04:09 PM
im making call both qbs on this roster next year and new OC will let them battle it out

Wow, here we go again.

When JP showed his true colors against Jacksonville, you felt the need to bring the whole team down with him.

JP is nothing but an afterthought as a Buffalo Bill. Get over it.

ParanoidAndroid
12-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Op, your first post is offensive to monkeys everywhere.

They actually called a play action pass on 3rd and 8 after runs on 1st and 2nd and 10. Who is going to bite on that?
We were getting beat at the LOS but the predictability of this offense surely attributed to that.
Butler pulled very nicely on that big Lynch run around LT. That was the last time I saw them try that play. Why wouldn't you go back to that?
I have to say that this game showcased the lack of imagination in the offensive staff.
Go get Marchibroda from that stupid NFL network job and put him to real work!

OpIv37
12-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I liked the call on the reverse. Actually, immediately prior to the play being run, I thought it would be a good time to pull one out of the playbook.

Give the Cleveland defender credit for staying home like he was supposed to.

if the conditions were better you might have a point- but how the hell was Reed supposed to make that cut on such a slick field? It was a stupid call for that reason alone.

HHURRICANE
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Some of you need to watch more football.

Criticizing the QB play is about as stupid as it gets. You realize the winning QB had worse numbers? They were playing in a freakin blizzard with gale force winds.

The conditions dictated the game and brought it down to who had better personnel. The Browns have more talent and that ultimately was the difference.

The fact that QB play is being brought up is comical. The Bills aren't a playoff team so some of us aren't as disappointed because we recognize the difference.

Oaf
12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
if the conditions were better you might have a point- but how the hell was Reed supposed to make that cut on such a slick field? It was a stupid call for that reason alone.
Reed wouldn't have made a cut, the defenders would have had to. The point of the play is that Reed can hit the corner before the the defenders can cut back and get to him. It would have worked to but LB made a good play in the backfield.

Akhippo
12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
The browns played us perfectly. They knew we were scared of the big bad snowflakes and would turn ultra conservative and hope for a Browns mistake.

Their defenders all stayed in their gaps and stayed home. They knew trickery was not going to work. And Buffalo didnt do anything but fall into their trap.
I was frustrated watching run run pass, while cleveland actually had the balls to throw it around.
Cleveland is better than us because they were aggressive. Same with the Pats. Those that sit back and take it are well.... you know.

jamze132
12-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Get the **** out Steve! Go to Aspen while the skiing is great!

jamze132
12-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Leave now, Steve!

colin
12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
trent was bad today, very little production. only good thing is he had no negative plays.

that said, DA was pretty bad overall too. the scoring drive that didn't come off of the safety kick into the damn wind (our special teams sucked and played in bad conditions, horrible) was on the back of a couple fluke ass plays, where the ball bounced up and 8 foot jeravicious picked it up and went like 25 yards.

if we had a real wr, one with size and some hands, we would have had a solid shot at winning that game.

we suck on o, fairchild is crap, but having reed, gains, royal, evans and sometimes parish out there doesn't scare anyone. evans is the only one really fit to start in the nfl as a WR threat and he's really just a deep threat guy.

njsue
12-16-2007, 04:55 PM
these coaches took a dynamic player in JP then square pegged him in their **** SCHEME.

they got rid of most of the talent in LB core although fletcher sucked

the coaches here suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JP is not Dynamic in any situation! IMO of course

Nighthawk
12-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Can we all please get past the JP era and get over it. He's a bust, he had plenty of chances and has nobody to blame for his poor play but himself. Period...end of story.

njsue
12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Can we all please get past the JP era and get over it. He's a bust, he had plenty of chances and has nobody to blame for his poor play but himself. Period...end of story.

30 + chances is enough IMO.

njsue
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM

2 more games to put up with. Next year should be a gem of a year.

OpIv37
12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Reed wouldn't have made a cut, the defenders would have had to. The point of the play is that Reed can hit the corner before the the defenders can cut back and get to him. It would have worked to but LB made a good play in the backfield.
what the hell are you talking about? When Reed was taking the handoff, he was running sideline to sideline- that's how a reverse works. At some point, he'd have to turn upfield to get positive yards- hence, make a cut. So it's a bad play under the field conditions.

Illmatic15
12-16-2007, 05:30 PM
kick him out the door

justasportsfan
12-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Dude, this just goes to prove want a giant hypocrit you have been. Calling for JP to come in during this game was hilarious. Was Gaines not going to drop the same pass form JP?

JP lost his job all on his own but keep playing that you are 100% behind Trent.
blah,blah,blah.

You're the hypocrite. If you are gonna blame this game on Fairchild, you must do the same for every game regardless of qb or regardless of w-l.

billsburgh
12-16-2007, 06:08 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Colorado State Athletic Director changes his mind and calls Fairchild to tell him he made a mistake.

Akhippo
12-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Blaming the QB's from either side is prett funny. The conditions were horrible for passing. Its a game that really falls on the OC. Come up with plays that fit the conditions. Playing against a defense that was going to stay at home and make you either overpower them or outthink them. We did neither.

Fairchild slept through this game with the built in snow excuse.

Special teams could have helped out a little bit with better field position, but hey.

BidsJr
12-16-2007, 07:10 PM
How much do you think he had to dish out for Colorado St. to take Fairchild???

Holy cow what a terribly called game.

:posrep:

Philagape
12-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Colo. State will open the Ralph Wilson School of Personnel Management

colin
12-16-2007, 07:44 PM
It is no real surprise that on bad 4th down screen pass we run Jackson to the right hand side.

Our best linemen are clearly on the left. Our best back is clearly Marshawn, who has shown a good ability to break tackles, is a maniac when near the end zone, and is fast. So what does our entire season rest on? Our back up going to the poor side of our line, with our not so good TE.

I've been down on Evans, but he didn't even get a shot at that. A screen pass might have a read before hand, but with the C pulling you really have only one way to go. So Evans at best was given a quick glance and was a decoy.

And that's it, that's Fairchild. He took a bad O and dragged it down to about the worst O over the past two years in the NFL. He never had much in terms of top flight talent, but it's clear from today's playcalling with the entire game on the line he just wouldn't use the correctly anyway.

G Wolly
12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I was hoping for a fade to Gaines in the corner to catch up but Steve failed us again for hopefully the last time.

Hard Nose Football
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
That screen was the worst call since Mullarkey was coach.

historypete
12-16-2007, 08:37 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Colorado State Athletic Director changes his mind and calls Fairchild to tell him he made a mistake.

Wouldn't that suck if it really happened.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Oaf
12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
A fade to Gaines?? :eek:

Typ0
12-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I thought we ran the plays that gave us the best chance to gain yards just about every time today. We missed some big plays that's for sure.

raphael120
12-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Wouldn't that suck if it really happened.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

One more reason to be very optimistic about next year.

Fairchild won't be here.

G Wolly
12-16-2007, 09:02 PM
A fade to Gaines?? :eek:

Some sort of shot at the endzone preferably to a TE and I would rather have it be Gaines than Royal.

Mitchy moo
12-16-2007, 09:10 PM
We have nothing further to gain from him being here now, no possible playoff scenario's. We need to just cut bait by asking him to leave and give one of his assistants, QB coach Turk Schonert or even Bobby April the duties of OC. We can see if any internal people can fit the bill and give them a few game run to see how they handle the play calling duties.

No hard feelings, no debate but the guy is leaving and we need to start moving on to see which way is best to go. It's just best that Fairchild go as well.

Typ0
12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
The playcalling was solid today. No one made any plays and the opportunities were there. When the opportunities are gone then start *****ing about the coaching but they aren't responsible today. The biggest play in the game was that one Jurivicious caught and they ended up getting a field goal. We played a good game we just didn't make any plays on offense.

djjimkelly
12-16-2007, 09:29 PM
It is no real surprise that on bad 4th down screen pass we run Jackson to the right hand side.

Our best linemen are clearly on the left. Our best back is clearly Marshawn, who has shown a good ability to break tackles, is a maniac when near the end zone, and is fast. So what does our entire season rest on? Our back up going to the poor side of our line, with our not so good TE.

I've been down on Evans, but he didn't even get a shot at that. A screen pass might have a read before hand, but with the C pulling you really have only one way to go. So Evans at best was given a quick glance and was a decoy.

And that's it, that's Fairchild. He took a bad O and dragged it down to about the worst O over the past two years in the NFL. He never had much in terms of top flight talent, but it's clear from today's playcalling with the entire game on the line he just wouldn't use the correctly anyway.

LMAO you forgot our best qb wasnt on field today either lol thanks steve

im4bflo
12-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Good riddance college boy, this is the BIG TIME!
Your last call of the game, was the last straw for me,
let the door hit you in the ass, if it'll get you out of town quicker!

OpIv37
12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I thought we ran the plays that gave us the best chance to gain yards just about every time today. We missed some big plays that's for sure.

what about the reverse to Reed that required him to turn upfield in extremely slick conditions? That was just stupid.

What about before halftime, when we had 1:20 and all 3 timeouts, and ran 3 straight draws without stopping the clock? What a waste.

What about all the draws on 3rd and long after the draws on 1st and 10 and 2nd and 10 just got shut down? How does the play that JUST FAILED give us the best chance to get yards? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm glad Fairchild's gone and wish Jauron had given him the boot before this game.

trapezeus
12-16-2007, 11:09 PM
totally agree. i thought that after the 4th down screen. there is zero purpose for him to be here. he had his offense playing clueless. running on every single 1st down was unacceptable. there were a couple poorly thrown trent passes, but overall, even with those, there was no chance for the bills to win.

I just hope colorado doesn't watch this film and reconsider.

jamze132
12-17-2007, 02:35 AM
I like the reverse to Reed. Had it been excecuted better could have been a big gainer which we obviously hadn't been getting very often. Of course everyone blasts the call if it doesn't work.

If the Moorman fake fails, there'd be no end to the *****ing here.
For one, what was Reed doing running a reverse? He should have been blocking downfield for Parrish who should have been running. Reed is a much better blocker.

And even if Moorman's fake failed, it wouldn't have been Fairchild's fault since he didn't call that play. And for the record, I will never get mad a failed fake unless we are winning and trying to be cute.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2007, 07:11 AM
After watching that game, which I must admit was great - reminded me of being a little kid and going out back and playing some ball...neither team was very effecient with the passing game, and the running game for both teams was hit and miss.

A big play here, stuffed there on the ground. It went that way mainly for both teams from what I saw of the game. I believe Lewis had like 7 yards on his first 6 carries.

I've seen people say they wanted to see more deeper throws. Cleveland tried one true "deep" play. The first throw of the game. In nice weather, that throw to Braylon is a TD. He had a step on Greer, the wind knocked it down, and then Greer made a nice play to knock it down. After that attempt, DA who has good arm strength, never threw another "deep" play all game.

The play-calling was actually good in my opinion. Cleveland's gameplan wasn't much different. And the runs by Lewis was mainly the same play over and over. Trying to run outside in bad weather is a risky proposition, north to south running in the conditions is what's supposed to be called. Yet, I've seen the draws, dives, blasts criticized all over this board. Right play call, poor execution.

Fairchild called 33 pass plays, so it's not like he tried to play in a shell and not to lose. In those conditions 33 pass plays isn't condusive to conservative play calling. Then I've seen criticism of the screen to Jackson, why? Nothing wrong with that play call. Earlier on the same drive a screen to Jackson went for 20 yards. And with Cleveland's defense, they generally allow short underneath balls to be complete.

The only questionable call in this game was the 4th and 4 after a draw play...and the decision to punt. I have no problem with trying to run on 3rd and 8 in the weather conditions. None whatsoever, but why not go for it after it?

So, since I've seen a bunch of complaining/*****ing about fairchild and the gameplan. What would you have done differently?

Buffatexas
12-17-2007, 07:48 AM
I think that given the fact that the Browns had our running game keyed in since the big run by Lynch, I would have opened the book to allow more short to medium pass routes just to keep the dl honest. I know if was difficult for WR's to cut but I think TE had more then enough time to get them the ball, providing they could catch it of course, which was another aspect of the game that was lacking.

Stewie
12-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Scored at least 9 points.

jdbillsfan
12-17-2007, 08:10 AM
The run on 3 and 8 is a terrible call, unless you are planning to go for it on 4th.

The past 3 or 4 runs were getting 2-3 yards a carry. With the season on the line, you think you are going to all of the sudden get 8?

I would have called more screen passes. They were working, but not at the goal line with no time left.

Most teams don't call screens around the goal line. It is too crowded.

Kerr
12-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Most teams don't call screens around the goal line. It is too crowded.

:up:

SabreEleven
12-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Trent Edwards couldn't pass is those conditions was the excuse, right? Was it 80 degrees in Buffalo all week? I live in California right now so I honestly don't know. I did live there for 18 years and I remember December being just a little bit cold. Did Trent pass indoors at the practice facility all week? Did he step outside and throw with a cold, hard ball at all? Just asking some questions.

DraftBoy
12-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Nothing really could be done differently play calling wise, execution just plain sucked

trapezeus
12-17-2007, 08:42 AM
- i'm not sure going for it on 4th and 11 at the beginning of the game was the right call. especially since dawson nailed a 49er. i understand that winds were constantly changing. but 11 yards in that condition is nearly impossible witha QB who's struggling with those elements.

-i'm not sure why with 3 timeouts at the end of the first half we ran 3 plays and headed to the lockerroom.

-I'm not sure why we had to run up the middle on 1st down every play.

- the bootlegs and misdirections seemed to work early on...we never went back after the failed reverse.

- play action could have helped. specifically with their LB's in our backfield the whole time. Even a flea flicker could have freed up coverage to let a WR adjust to a poorly thrown ball.

-TE seemed to play better in a 2 minute hurryup. So i don't know why he didn't get to do that earlier in the game.

-practice more than 3 basic sets so that the defense has to actually wonder what play is coming.

that's the difference i would have made.

mybills
12-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Trent Edwards couldn't pass is those conditions was the excuse, right?
right

SabreEleven
12-17-2007, 09:06 AM
right

and we knew that there was a chance it was bad weather, right?

OpIv37
12-17-2007, 09:09 AM
After watching that game, which I must admit was great - reminded me of being a little kid and going out back and playing some ball...neither team was very effecient with the passing game, and the running game for both teams was hit and miss.

A big play here, stuffed there on the ground. It went that way mainly for both teams from what I saw of the game. I believe Lewis had like 7 yards on his first 6 carries.

I've seen people say they wanted to see more deeper throws. Cleveland tried one true "deep" play. The first throw of the game. In nice weather, that throw to Braylon is a TD. He had a step on Greer, the wind knocked it down, and then Greer made a nice play to knock it down. After that attempt, DA who has good arm strength, never threw another "deep" play all game.

The play-calling was actually good in my opinion. Cleveland's gameplan wasn't much different. And the runs by Lewis was mainly the same play over and over. Trying to run outside in bad weather is a risky proposition, north to south running in the conditions is what's supposed to be called. Yet, I've seen the draws, dives, blasts criticized all over this board. Right play call, poor execution.

Fairchild called 33 pass plays, so it's not like he tried to play in a shell and not to lose. In those conditions 33 pass plays isn't condusive to conservative play calling. Then I've seen criticism of the screen to Jackson, why? Nothing wrong with that play call. Earlier on the same drive a screen to Jackson went for 20 yards. And with Cleveland's defense, they generally allow short underneath balls to be complete.

The only questionable call in this game was the 4th and 4 after a draw play...and the decision to punt. I have no problem with trying to run on 3rd and 8 in the weather conditions. None whatsoever, but why not go for it after it?

So, since I've seen a bunch of complaining/*****ing about fairchild and the gameplan. What would you have done differently?

Let's start with the reverse to Reed. When Reed took the hand off, he was running sideline to sideline, so the play required him to make a cut to turn up field in slick conditions. That was a braindead call right there.

Second, the draw plays on 3rd and 8 after the draw plays on first and second netted a total of 2 yards. How is that play supposed to be the best way to get 8 yards?

Third, there were at least two times (including the screen to Jackson) when they threw short of the sticks on 3rd down. there is NEVER an excuse for that.

Fourth, what was up with the play calling before the half? We had 1:20 and 3 timeouts, and ran 3 consecutive draws without even trying to stop the clock. Gutless. Truly gutless.

Fifth, Cleveland didn't attempt many long plays but they were throwing some passes in the 8-15 yard range- ie, enough that the D had to respect their pass. But we didn't do that- Cleveland was playing run the whole game and we never made them pay or at least made them back out of it. They were able to do it to us but we weren't able to do it to them. No excuse for that either.

Philagape
12-17-2007, 09:17 AM
More crossing routes and hitches where the QB can see where the receiver is laterally when he throws it. Too many of the passes were on vertical routes that depended on timing, which is exactly what's hurt the most when the receivers can't run as fast as they usually do, and when you have 40 mph gusts.

More sweeps and cutbacks. Make the defense go slipping and sliding as they chase the back. A lot was said about how receivers had an advantage in the snow because corners can't make quick cuts to react. Apply that to the running game. When I played sandlot ball in the snow, I knew that one juke would make at least one guy fall.

And yes, try to score with a minute and a half left and three timeouts. And when you need eight yards, pass the ball.

historypete
12-17-2007, 12:00 PM
How about removing Gaines and Royal from the field because they offer you nothing in the way of attacking a defense. Spread them out with Roscoe and Jenkins to give Lynch and Jackson more room to run. Those lanes will be there with extra DBs on the field instead of LBs.

Please don't forget that the 33 passes we threw is a misleading stat. Most of those throws came in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. I heard a stat today that on 19 possessions we ran on 1st down 16 times. That includes the last drive, when we had no choice but to throw.

You don't have to chuck the ball 40 yards to be aggressive in that weather. Cleveland was putting 8 and 9 in the box. To bang your head against a wall on 2 of your 3 plays is stupid. There were ways to attack the field and Fairchild failed to do it.

Now some will point to Clevelands 36 carries to 24 passes, but if you look at that Cleveland was throwing early and they got some points. Admitted they got lucky on some throws, but they at least took the chance and were rewarded. Then they ran the ball heavily in the 3rd and 4th quarters, and that is why they have more runs than passes. Also, keep in mind, that the Browns spread the field to attack us for a good portion of the day and that was effective.

We on the other hand continue to run that wonderfully inept 2 TE offense that sputtered in every game, except two, regardless of weather.

OpIv37
12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
How about removing Gaines and Royal from the field because they offer you nothing in the way of attacking a defense. Spread them out with Roscoe and Jenkins to give Lynch and Jackson more room to run. Those lanes will be there with extra DBs on the field instead of LBs.

Please don't forget that the 33 passes we threw is a misleading stat. Most of those throws came in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. I heard a stat today that on 19 possessions we ran on 1st down 16 times. That includes the last drive, when we had no choice but to throw.

You don't have to chuck the ball 40 yards to be aggressive in that weather. Cleveland was putting 8 and 9 in the box. To bang your head against a wall on 2 of your 3 plays is stupid. There were ways to attack the field and Fairchild failed to do it.

Now some will point to Clevelands 36 carries to 24 passes, but if you look at that Cleveland was throwing early and they got some points. Admitted they got lucky on some throws, but they at least took the chance and were rewarded. Then they ran the ball heavily in the 3rd and 4th quarters, and that is why they have more runs than passes. Also, keep in mind, that the Browns spread the field to attack us for a good portion of the day and that was effective.

We on the other hand continue to run that wonderfully inept 2 TE offense that sputtered in every game, except two, regardless of weather.

wait- you mean we should get two decent TE's before we run two TE sets? That's just crazy talk!

Billzz
12-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Last play was 15 seconds left. 4th down 5 yards for the 1st, 10 for a TD.

Take a shot at the end zone game over even though everyone was covered or throw something short toward the sideline and hopefully get the first, stop the clock and have possible 2 more attempts with 10 seconds left. He threw that pass to Jackson with 12 seconds on the clock.

2 missed blocks on that screen which leads me to believe that was not the intended play or just piss poor execution.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 12:15 PM
wait- you mean we should get two decent TE's before we run two TE sets? That's just crazy talk!

How has Vernon Davis worked out for SF so far? He was the last highest picked TE that I remember. Not busting balls just curious because I really liked him as a Bill.

mchurchfie
12-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Our running plays are totally predictable and uncreative. It is a guarantee everytime that we run to the left side on first down. I would have designed some plays for some dumpoffs or screens to Roscoe and Lynch, these two guys are a terror in open space and could have had a big day with the way the footing was.

dannyek71
12-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I dont understand why more teams just dont run the hurry up offense more.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Our running plays are totally predictable and uncreative. It is a guarantee everytime that we run to the left side on first down. I would have designed some plays for some dumpoffs or screens to Roscoe and Lynch, these two guys are a terror in open space and could have had a big day with the way the footing was.

Very hard pass's to throw though, not considering the conditions. Guess we will never know but that is why I think they didn't try them.

OpIv37
12-17-2007, 12:19 PM
How has Vernon Davis worked out for SF so far? He was the last highest picked TE that I remember. Not busting balls just curious because I really liked him as a Bill.

according to this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7755

47 catches for 459 yards and 3 TD's. That's decent for a TE but not dominant and not really worth the 4th overall pick. Of course, SF's offense is terrible, and I haven't watched any of their games this year so I don't know if he's part of the problem or not.

We don't necessarily need to go spend our first round pick on a TE, but we do need to add some quality and consistency in the form of a receiving TE. That could also potentially reduce the need for a WR, although we do need a true #2 WR or at least someone tall.

Oaf
12-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Aiken?

:couch:

Talk about a waste.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
according to this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7755

47 catches for 459 yards and 3 TD's. That's decent for a TE but not dominant and not really worth the 4th overall pick. Of course, SF's offense is terrible, and I haven't watched any of their games this year so I don't know if he's part of the problem or not.

We don't necessarily need to go spend our first round pick on a TE, but we do need to add some quality and consistency in the form of a receiving TE. That could also potentially reduce the need for a WR, although we do need a true #2 WR or at least someone tall.

According to that the league average for TE's is 187 yards for the year, why is that? The leader has over 1k.

Side note though it shows he has picked up 27 first downs which seems pretty good to me.

Just go get Schobels brother so we can have em both on the same team, to bad he's locked up.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=7728

Good article that also talks about 2 TE sets.

Ebenezer
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
guys...all of the Fairchild threads have been merged...creating more threads will only get them merged here.

mchurchfie
12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
guys...all of the Fairchild threads have been merged...creating more threads will only get them merged here.
You're going to merge my Fairchild thread in the No-TOS also, right?:snicker:

Billzz
12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
:horsecrap

You just created a big steaming, heaping pile of :horsecrap:

Ebenezer
12-17-2007, 12:54 PM
You're going to merge my Fairchild thread in the No-TOS also, right?:snicker:
no...that one stays there...

Ebenezer
12-17-2007, 12:54 PM
:horsecrap

You just created a big steaming, heaping pile of :horsecrap:
I didn't create anything...

Billzz
12-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I didn't create anything...

You are correct you just took smaller piles and made a bigger one, my bad Eb.

Ebenezer
12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
You are correct you just took smaller piles and made a bigger one, my bad Eb.
exactly