X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthCarBills
    • Jan 2006

Winning Out Vs. Better Draft Pick

I've seen by a few posters that they'd prefer that we lose out to move up in the draft. Simply stated, that is the most ridiculous thought I've seen people in this forum express lately.

Going 9-7, regardless of playoff bid, would tremendously boost the mental toughness of this team, its respect around the league, and interest of FAs. This is a young team very much on the rise, and having a winning attitude and record are vital to its momentum heading into next year.

Sorry, but any intelligent Bills fan who thinks that a change in draft spots is better than having a winning record in 2007 is out of their mind.

Perhaps if I was a fan of a 3-12 team battling for nothing in the very last game of the season, and a win would bump my team out of the top pick in the draft, I'd have a slight reservation. But even then seeing my team win always feels better.
  • PromoTheRobot
    • Sep 2003

Re: Winning Out Vs. Better Draft Pick

Does it really matter where we picK? It's the Bills after all.

PTR
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

I need to correct you on something, the draft is not just one round, it's multiple rounds so it really can impact multiple picks. That said this team needs to continue to win IMHO to learn how to to win. As don't think we've done that so far. Not to mention it will help distance TE from JP, making some players who may be on the fence to get behind our new QB.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot

PTR
        Yeah, the last two drafts have sucked.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• NorthCarBills
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by The Jokeman
          I need to correct you on something, the draft is not just one round, it's multiple rounds so it really can impact multiple picks. That said this team needs to continue to win IMHO to learn how to to win. As don't think we've done that so far. Not to mention it will help distance TE from JP, making some players who may be on the fence to get behind our new QB.
          With all due respect, I'm aware the draft is more than one round. If you're referring to my example, it was simply that...an example of a team picking in the first round. If you were being funny in some way, my bad.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot

PTR
            No it doesn't. We can find starters anywhere in the first three rounds, at least.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Win as many as you can and worry about the draft in April, BTW. Winning breeds success.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by NorthCarBills
                With all due respect, I'm aware the draft is more than one round. If you're referring to my example, it was simply that...an example of a team picking in the first round. If you were being funny in some way, my bad.
                me funny? What gave you that impression. Seriously I think it's important we continue to win as don't expect much difference between a guy we could get with pick 14 or pick 19 to be that much different as that's where think we'll end up.

Comment

• BillyT92679
                  • Jul 2002

We have tons of picks, and since we'll probably trade JP, we'll get more.
                  We have plenty of wiggle room in the draft.

Winning out would be remarkably good for next season... it shows the team really has character.
                  Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by NorthCarBills

Sorry, but any intelligent Bills fan who thinks that a change in draft spots is better than having a winning record in 2007 is out of their mind.
                    No offense but, of course you would say that NOW.

If we win the Baltimore game last year, no Marshawn Lynch. Take your pick. An 8 and 8 finish, or our offensive MVP in Lynch?

Now that we're out of the race, I'm totally fine with finishing 8-8. I just want to taste a win one last time before next year, that's all.

I must be an idiot then, I'm sorry.

Comment

• NorthCarBills
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Oaf
                      No offense but, of course you would say that NOW.

If we win the Baltimore game last year, no Marshawn Lynch. Take your pick. An 8 and 8 finish, or our offensive MVP in Lynch?

Now that we're out of the race, I'm totally fine with finishing 8-8. I just want to taste a win one last time before next year, that's all.

I must be an idiot then, I'm sorry.
                      It's one thing to be content with 8-8 (which I would be if that's the case)...heck it's amazing what this team has done considering all of the obstacles this year, even if it's 7-9.

It's another thing to root against winning.

Comment

• raphael120
                        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                        • Oct 2005

I wont be rooting for them to lose, but if they happen to lose, it wont bother me as much as it normally would.

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

winning games now does very little to benefit this team. yeah there would be some feel-good dividends to beating the playoff bound giants next week but theres no way that lingers into next season. same thing with beating a bad philly team in their house

conversely getting one or two better spots in the draft order could end up paying dividends for years. yes the bills can draft well anywhere but you can never get that one spot back if the guy you were going to pick goes one or two before you could nab him. yes in the long run missing one guy to pick another could work out in your favor, but we are talking percentages and id take the higher pick and higher percentage every time

the benefit to wins now is relatively small while the potential gain in better drafting position at least has the possibility to be significant and enduring

therefore my motto the rest of the year:

just lose baby
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• poreef
                            • Sep 2007

I think this is a reasonable point. When McGahee left he basically told Buffalo to take off (if he were Canadian that's what he'd have said) and treated it like a football ghost town. Part of that is that he and his agent are *******s, but I think it reflects an attitude that is probably prevalent throughout the league.

Especially with potential coaching staff. That's the key point. We need to look like a winning organization and winning out would mean something.

Btw, I usually laugh when Jaworski starts going on about mental toughness. He thinks teams suck because they're not mentally tough, not that they've given up mentally because they suck.

Jaws also doesn't go with the Bills despite his Lackawanna roots.

[quote=NorthCarBills]Going 9-7, regardless of playoff bid, would tremendously boost the mental toughness of this team, its respect around the league, and interest of FAs. This is a young team very much on the rise, and having a winning attitude and record are vital to its momentum heading into next year.
                            /quote]

Comment

• poreef
                              • Sep 2007

P.S. I won't be sad at all if we're 7-9, but we shouldn't throw in the towel,

With our injuries it might be a moot point anyhow. If we wanted to throw the games, who would we play, the second-string practice squad?

Comment

Working...
                              X