PDA

View Full Version : Winning Out Vs. Better Draft Pick

NorthCarBills
12-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I've seen by a few posters that they'd prefer that we lose out to move up in the draft. Simply stated, that is the most ridiculous thought I've seen people in this forum express lately.

Going 9-7, regardless of playoff bid, would tremendously boost the mental toughness of this team, its respect around the league, and interest of FAs. This is a young team very much on the rise, and having a winning attitude and record are vital to its momentum heading into next year.

Sorry, but any intelligent Bills fan who thinks that a change in draft spots is better than having a winning record in 2007 is out of their mind.

Perhaps if I was a fan of a 3-12 team battling for nothing in the very last game of the season, and a win would bump my team out of the top pick in the draft, I'd have a slight reservation. But even then seeing my team win always feels better.

PromoTheRobot
12-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Does it really matter where we picK? It's the Bills after all.

PTR

The Jokeman
12-16-2007, 06:02 PM
I need to correct you on something, the draft is not just one round, it's multiple rounds so it really can impact multiple picks. That said this team needs to continue to win IMHO to learn how to to win. As don't think we've done that so far. Not to mention it will help distance TE from JP, making some players who may be on the fence to get behind our new QB.

Dr. Lecter
12-16-2007, 06:03 PM

PTR

Yeah, the last two drafts have sucked. :rolleyes:

NorthCarBills
12-16-2007, 06:07 PM
I need to correct you on something, the draft is not just one round, it's multiple rounds so it really can impact multiple picks. That said this team needs to continue to win IMHO to learn how to to win. As don't think we've done that so far. Not to mention it will help distance TE from JP, making some players who may be on the fence to get behind our new QB.

With all due respect, I'm aware the draft is more than one round. If you're referring to my example, it was simply that...an example of a team picking in the first round. If you were being funny in some way, my bad.

YardRat
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM

PTR

No it doesn't. We can find starters anywhere in the first three rounds, at least.

YardRat
12-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Win as many as you can and worry about the draft in April, BTW. Winning breeds success.

The Jokeman
12-16-2007, 06:12 PM
With all due respect, I'm aware the draft is more than one round. If you're referring to my example, it was simply that...an example of a team picking in the first round. If you were being funny in some way, my bad.
me funny? What gave you that impression. Seriously I think it's important we continue to win as don't expect much difference between a guy we could get with pick 14 or pick 19 to be that much different as that's where think we'll end up.

BillyT92679
12-16-2007, 06:17 PM
We have tons of picks, and since we'll probably trade JP, we'll get more.
We have plenty of wiggle room in the draft.

Winning out would be remarkably good for next season... it shows the team really has character.

Oaf
12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Sorry, but any intelligent Bills fan who thinks that a change in draft spots is better than having a winning record in 2007 is out of their mind.

No offense but, of course you would say that NOW.

If we win the Baltimore game last year, no Marshawn Lynch. Take your pick. An 8 and 8 finish, or our offensive MVP in Lynch?

Now that we're out of the race, I'm totally fine with finishing 8-8. I just want to taste a win one last time before next year, that's all.

I must be an idiot then, I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

NorthCarBills
12-16-2007, 07:01 PM
No offense but, of course you would say that NOW.

If we win the Baltimore game last year, no Marshawn Lynch. Take your pick. An 8 and 8 finish, or our offensive MVP in Lynch?

Now that we're out of the race, I'm totally fine with finishing 8-8. I just want to taste a win one last time before next year, that's all.

I must be an idiot then, I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

It's one thing to be content with 8-8 (which I would be if that's the case)...heck it's amazing what this team has done considering all of the obstacles this year, even if it's 7-9.

It's another thing to root against winning.

raphael120
12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I wont be rooting for them to lose, but if they happen to lose, it wont bother me as much as it normally would.

Meathead
12-16-2007, 11:13 PM
winning games now does very little to benefit this team. yeah there would be some feel-good dividends to beating the playoff bound giants next week but theres no way that lingers into next season. same thing with beating a bad philly team in their house

conversely getting one or two better spots in the draft order could end up paying dividends for years. yes the bills can draft well anywhere but you can never get that one spot back if the guy you were going to pick goes one or two before you could nab him. yes in the long run missing one guy to pick another could work out in your favor, but we are talking percentages and id take the higher pick and higher percentage every time

the benefit to wins now is relatively small while the potential gain in better drafting position at least has the possibility to be significant and enduring

therefore my motto the rest of the year:

just lose baby

poreef
12-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I think this is a reasonable point. When McGahee left he basically told Buffalo to take off (if he were Canadian that's what he'd have said) and treated it like a football ghost town. Part of that is that he and his agent are *******s, but I think it reflects an attitude that is probably prevalent throughout the league.

Especially with potential coaching staff. That's the key point. We need to look like a winning organization and winning out would mean something.

Btw, I usually laugh when Jaworski starts going on about mental toughness. He thinks teams suck because they're not mentally tough, not that they've given up mentally because they suck.

Jaws also doesn't go with the Bills despite his Lackawanna roots.

[quote=NorthCarBills]Going 9-7, regardless of playoff bid, would tremendously boost the mental toughness of this team, its respect around the league, and interest of FAs. This is a young team very much on the rise, and having a winning attitude and record are vital to its momentum heading into next year.
/quote]

poreef
12-16-2007, 11:33 PM
P.S. I won't be sad at all if we're 7-9, but we shouldn't throw in the towel,

With our injuries it might be a moot point anyhow. If we wanted to throw the games, who would we play, the second-string practice squad?

Devin
12-16-2007, 11:40 PM
I will always root for a victory no matter how it affects the draft. I would love to see this team win out.

G. Host
12-16-2007, 11:46 PM
No matter who we have on roster and what position we are in pecking order for draft I will root for Bills to try to win every game they can and damn the draft position.

Invest the money saved on draft picks in scouting players.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2007, 04:40 AM
Anyone who wishes for any team that they "root" for to lose out, ever...is an idiot.

Winning breeds confidence.

Young teams require confidence before advancing to that next level.

I'd love to see a 9-7 season and then build upon that success next year.

There's no way at the beginning of the year that anyone realistically thought we'd be where we're at today especially with all the injuries.