PDA

View Full Version : We need a quality veteran backup QB, and if so,who?

blackonyx89
12-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm a Trent fan and I know he's a rookie and he's going to have some growing pains. I think he's going to be a decent QB in the long run. But I have a feeling we need a good backup that can play in cold weather. Any suggestions?

Billzz
12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
We have about 8 months to discuss this.

blackonyx89
12-17-2007, 11:40 AM
We have about 8 months to discuss this.

Might as well get a head start!!!!
:clump:

Billzz
12-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Might as well get a head start!!!!
:clump:

HaHa yea I hear ya. No clue at this point........................

Kerr
12-17-2007, 11:54 AM
There aren't many good FA qb's out there. I heard McCown wants to stay in Oakland. I would love mcnabb but that's a pipe dream because he wan't to start and wouldn't backup anywhere.

One veteran I would consider is Mark Brunell. I don't know how he got to 3rd on washington's depth chart. He's probably still servicable as a backup.

THATHURMANATOR
12-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Just keep JP.

blackonyx89
12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Just keep JP.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Take a breath) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

justasportsfan
12-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Just keep JP.

If we do, hire Flutie as qb coach. He'll tell his qb's to stick it up the OC's arse if he ends up being as stupid as Sheppard, Moolarkey and Fairchild .

The locker room would look like a HOspital ER with all the cancers, but at least we'd make playoffs this decade.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-17-2007, 01:01 PM
We need a quality veteran <s>backup</s> starting QB... preferably one who knows how to play in December.

The King
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm a Trent fan and I know he's a rookie and he's going to have some growing pains. I think he's going to be a decent QB in the long run. But I have a feeling we need a good backup that can play in cold weather. Any suggestions?

We cant revolve the QB door on Trent. Get a backup who knows the ropes and can tutor a young player, similar to Kitnas role in Cincy. But Trents the guy. And the coaching staff needs to support him.

njsue
12-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Chad Pennington.

Mr. Miyagi
12-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Trent Green

njsue
12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Trent Green

His career is done.

acehole
12-17-2007, 04:40 PM

Anyone who is an adult will be a great contrast to Trent.
Sombody who can play in the cold without hot chocolate.
Who has a strong enough arm to hold the Mug up.

bills&sabresmvf
12-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Chad Pennington.

Chad Pennington is exactly right. Would be great here...

LtBillsFan66
12-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Drew Bledsoe

justasportsfan
12-17-2007, 04:43 PM
We cant revolve the QB door on Trent. Get a backup who knows the ropes and can tutor a young player, similar to Kitnas role in Cincy. But Trents the guy. And the coaching staff needs to support him.
I would build a team around Lynch first. Trent is still an unkown. No way should he be handed the keys to our future .

RingofFire
12-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Billy Volek!

Luisito23
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Chad Pennington.

I was just about to say the same thing....I love his fire and his dedication for his team even when he's on the bench....Perfect guy for Trent to learn from....I've always liked Chad, and I really hope we go with him....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!

The King
12-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I would build a team around Lynch first. Trent is still an unkown. No way should he be handed the keys to our future .

With Jackson and Lynch we need to build around the running game

Billzz
12-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Sorry he would not fit Acehole's description of what a quality QB should be in Buffalo.

Philagape
12-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Drew Bledsoe

Strong-armed and proven in Buffalo weather!

justasportsfan
12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Strong-armed and proven in Buffalo weather!

JP is gone. MOve on.

YardRat
12-17-2007, 06:56 PM
There isn't a whole lot out there yet. The team's best bet may be waiting to see if anyone gets cut that is still under contract.

PECKERWOOD
12-17-2007, 07:00 PM
And with the 9th overall pick in the 2007 draft the Miami Dolfins select: Ted Ginn Jr., Wr, Ohio St.!!!!

****... Wrong thread.

Don't Panic
12-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Anyone who is an adult will be a great contrast to Trent.
Sombody who can play in the cold without hot chocolate.
Who has a strong enough arm to hold the Mug up.

I'd say it was more accuracy than arm strength that was the problem yesterday.

The Jokeman
12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Mark Brunell was the only UFA I've seen that draws my interest. I'd also look at a guy like Jaime Martin. I'd even consider Todd Collins with as bad as the UFA class is. I'd also trade for Kelly Holcomb, Brian Griese and Tim Rattay. I also like Steve McNair but doubt Baltimore deal him.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Mark Brunell was the only UFA I've seen that draws my interest. I'd also look at a guy like Jaime Martin. I'd even consider Todd Collins with as bad as the UFA class is. I'd also trade for Kelly Holcomb, Brian Griese and Tim Rattay. I also like Steve McNair but doubt Baltimore deal him.

Since your throwing out names that low on the tier Chris Simms may be available.

TigerJ
12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
My prediction is that the Bills will try to trade JP Losman in the offseason and will try to sign a veteran to serve as the #2 QB in the offseason. I know that is not an amazing revelation to most. In fact it probably seems blatantly obvious to many. I have no idea who that will be however. I haven't been looking at any lists of expected veteran free agents.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Vick gets out of jail soon on good behavior

TigerJ
12-17-2007, 09:55 PM
I just looked up a list of guys who might be available: They include the guy who just beat Buffalo on Sunday, Derek Anderson. I suspect the team that signs him (assuming Cleveland opts for Brady Quinn in 2008) will be signing him to start. I think he might carry the price tag of a starter. Others include Daunte Culpepper (no thanks), Josh McCown (maybe), Cleo Lemon (maybe), Rex Grossman (if Chicago doesn't re-sign him). He's a viable option. I'm sure there will be others. They all have good arms and some starting experience.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-17-2007, 11:19 PM
All of those make me sick.

Where are the big names? When do they hit the market?

Oh, wait, the owners jerryrigged the salary cap so they get to keep the good QBs for life.

TigerJ
12-17-2007, 11:21 PM
All of those make me sick.

Where are the big names? When do they hit the market?

Oh, wait, the owners jerryrigged the salary cap so they get to keep the good QBs for life.
If you're looking for a big name, you're probably looking for a starter.

djjimkelly
12-18-2007, 12:42 AM

what year do u think we are going into 1998

Luisito23
12-18-2007, 12:55 AM
what year do u think we are going into 1998

:rofl:....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Pink
12-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Why don't we bring in Jeff George? Then the JP lovers could get behind another guy just like him!

Seriously though...

If McNair was available, I'd take a looksee at him for the backup role. Josh McCown if the Raiders let him go. Ken Dorsey, if the Browns let him go. Leftwich, if the Falcons let him go. AND BRING IN TIMMY COUCH!

Dont drink the water
12-18-2007, 03:53 AM
Bills need a physical QB who can help with the plowing on goalline situations even if he does other work most of the rest of the time. Maybe a TE who also played QB. Seems to be a number of them in college who can not be a QB full time.

Night Train
12-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Basically someone with experience who plays within himself and can keep the chains moving. We'll find someone.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-18-2007, 08:40 AM
If you're looking for a big name, you're probably looking for a starter.

Yes, I already stated that earlier in the thread.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Bills need a physical QB who can help with the plowing on goalline situations even if he does other work most of the rest of the time. Maybe a TE who also played QB. Seems to be a number of them in college who can not be a QB full time.

You don't need a big QB for that, plenty of QB's do that all the time it's about the surge your line gets, hell Flutie used to sneak it in.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't want to bring in a back up. I want someone who has the ability to start and compete with Trent for the starting job.

billsfaninGB
12-18-2007, 10:08 AM
we had the perfect veteran back up in holcomb and we sent him on his way..... oops.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 11:29 AM
we had the perfect veteran back up in holcomb and we sent him on his way..... oops.

Holcomb sucked, that has been proven, time and time again even after leaving the Bills.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't want to bring in a back up. I want someone who has the ability to start and compete with Trent for the starting job.

Nothing like a good competition to not only bring out the best in players but add that little extra push. But there is a point where it becomes a distraction which is what we have had for the last few years without a doubt. Wether or not that is related to the fact the QB's we have started suck or not remains to be seen.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Nothing like a good competition to not only bring out the best in players but add that little extra push. But there is a point where it becomes a distraction which is what we have had for the last few years without a doubt. Wether or not that is related to the fact the QB's we have started suck or not remains to be seen.
Nobody's job is safe. This is why I am not ready to annoint him the qb. If we are wrong about Trent and we bring in a back up, should Trent fail, we just set this franchise a few more years of rebuilding.

Lone Stranger
12-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I would like to keep JP if the price is right.

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2007, 12:41 PM
I would like to keep JP if the price is right.
I'm with you. I hope JP stays, as long as he doesn't become a distraction.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm with you. I hope JP stays, as long as he doesn't become a distraction.

He really hasn't shown to be one at this point. From what we know he has been honest in his PC's and obviously isn't happy to lose the starting job. He has shown good signs coming in off the bench to win games, who knows.

I think he is too young to accept being a perinnal back up and a decision to test the waters else where is something he will have to make. He has stated many times you sit back and wait for your turn so all this talk about finding a back up might be moot since he is already on the roster.

Albany,n.y.
12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Doug Flutie played in blizzards in Canada & one in Buffalo. He's about the only proven cold weather backup if you define last wek's game in Cleveland as cold weather. So lets sign Flutie to a Blizzard Only contract & call him in if the weather gets bad.
Most NFL QBs see one or 2 games like this past Sunday IN THEIR ENTIRE FRIGGIN CAREER! Instead of worrying about a QB's ability to play in a blizzard, just sign the best available guy. They can all play in cold weather and almost none of them can play efficiently in conditions like last Sunday.