PDA

View Full Version : I'm a realist and I'm pretty proud of this team!!

HHURRICANE
12-17-2007, 08:17 PM
The team got a bad break yesterday losing a game that was completly dictated by weather conditions that I hadn't seen since OJ ran the ball at the rock pile.

I think the Browns proved that they have big sized weapons which ultimately trumps our big hearts.

All of that aside I think this team is finally on their way. Most of us remember where we were at the end of last season trying to figure out how we were going to replace Nate, Spikes, Fletcher, and McGahee.

I'm cautiosly optimistic. I think Trent will finish strong and I think we will go into the off-season with some nice anchors in place.

Alot to be excited about in the opinion of a realist.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 08:23 PM
The team got a bad break yesterday losing a game that was completly dictated by weather conditions that I hadn't seen since OJ ran the ball at the rock pile.

I think the Browns proved that they have big sized weapons which ultimately trumps our big hearts.

All of that aside I think this team is finally on their way. Most of us remember where we were at the end of last season trying to figure out how we were going to replace Nate, Spikes, Fletcher, and McGahee.

I'm cautiosly optimistic. I think Trent will finish strong and I think we will go into the off-season with some nice anchors in place.

Alot to be excited about in the opinion of a realist.

Your so gonna get drug down with facts and stats you will wish you never posted this. Prepare to be inundated with crap so deep it will take you weeks to dig your way out!

How dare you be happy with a medicore .500 season!
How can you be happy when our coaches are obviously in need of being FIRED!
How can you sit back and just accept our performance in a almost playoff game in a losing effort in conditions that may never be seen AGAIN in these players lifetime!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN GET A GRIP BEFORE IT'S TO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justasportsfan
12-17-2007, 08:23 PM
haha! I actually feel the same way. Weird.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 08:25 PM
haha! I actually feel the same way. Weird.

QUICK! run to your medicine cabinet and grab a thermometer, your coming down with something!

That's all your gonna post? Your letting me down Justa.

justasportsfan
12-17-2007, 08:27 PM
QUICK! run to your medicine cabinet and grab a thermometer, your coming down with something!

I just don't go around acting like Trent is the next best thing since sliced bread. I am as cautiously optimistic with Trent as I was with JP. If that makes me a JP licker then so be it.

Bone
12-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I feel the exact same way Hurricane, you know the 10th year is a charm..

Billzz
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I just don't go around acting like Trent is the next best thing since sliced bread. I am as cautiously optimistic with Trent as I was with JP. If that makes me a JP licker then so be it.

Just busting ya balls Justa!

Bill Brasky
12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty realistic too... and I still see a team weak in the secondary, with no DL to stop the run, 2 overpaid DL's that couldn't sack a bag of groceries, an OL that still can't run block, and a bunch of undersized WR's that can't get open and often drop balls. Oh yeah, no TE's either.

Given all the circumstances, this season has been a HUGE surprise, because even if this franchise was 100% healthy they'd still be a .500 team at best.

And my realism leads me to believe nothing will be done in FA to address ANY of these issues... unless you're looking for depth/3rd stringer.

Replace "Trent" with "JP" and you have just rehashed everybody's statements from the past 2 seasons. Unless this Front Office makes some drastic changes on both lines we shall continue to be f'd in the a.

Billzz
12-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty realistic too... and I still see a team weak in the secondary, with no DL to stop the run, 2 overpaid DL's that couldn't sack a bag of groceries, an OL that still can't run block, and a bunch of undersized WR's that can't get open and often drop balls. Oh yeah, no TE's either.

Given all the circumstances, this season has been a HUGE surprise, because even if this franchise was 100% healthy they'd still be a .500 team at best.

And my realism leads me to believe nothing will be done in FA to address ANY of these issues... unless you're looking for depth/3rd stringer.

Replace "Trent" with "JP" and you have just rehashed everybody's statements from the past 2 seasons. Unless this Front Office makes some drastic changes on both lines we shall continue to be f'd in the a.

D-line I will give you has really played sub par since we got rid of the big boys in the middle, which mind you still play for very good defense's.

O-line I think has played fairly well over last year and will continue to improve into next year.

We need a money guy to throw the ball to. Wether it is a high draft WR or TE preferably both via FA and draft is fine with me. 3 really solid WR's coming out in the draft we will have a shot at atleast 1.

How can we not address our problem areas with great cap room and a ton of draft picks? Even if we trade down to get more picks we will still pick up quality young character guys to fit our system.

Bill Brasky
12-17-2007, 09:04 PM
How can we not address our problem areas with great cap room and a ton of draft picks?

they will through the draft, and that's walking a thin line considering you're entire draft could be full of busts (though i'll give marv levy credit has past 2 drafts have been good for this franchise). this team never does anything in free agency... i'll continue to say that til they prove me wrong. unless you count signing scrubs and depth guys as 'improvement'

the OL has played well in pass protection, but in run blocking they have sucked all season and shown no signs of improving. i think mcnally is way overrated.

OpIv37
12-17-2007, 09:06 PM

all that shows is that our no name starters are no better than our no name back ups.

We're setting the bar way too low.

How much longer before the homers allow us to expect results? This mediocrity **** is really getting old.

justasportsfan
12-17-2007, 09:08 PM
the OL has played well in pass protection, but in run blocking they have sucked all season and shown no signs of improving. i think mcnally is way overrated.

Word. Bunch of fat lard asses who can't push any DL back because they can barely carry their own weight which actually works in their favor in pass blocking. :ill:

justasportsfan
12-17-2007, 09:11 PM
How much longer before the homers allow us to expect results? This mediocrity **** is really getting old.
Apparently , I'm no longer a homer these days so don't expect any arguments from me towards your opinions.

Bill Brasky
12-17-2007, 09:13 PM
pretty much. anybody that's played the game knows that you can have all the meat you want on the line, but if they can't move their own bodies then they're worthless. sometimes bigger isn't better. the pass blocking IS a product of their size beacause their size alone cuts the rush/running lanes. run blocking you need a ton of mobility.

i didn't set the bar, this franchise did by not getting enough impact players on either side of the ball. i didn't think this would be a .500 team at the beginning of the season anyways. does that make me happy as a fan? ABSOLUTELY NOT. no playoffs since '99 is an embarassment of epic proportions, but i'm not in the FO so what can i do?

considering how many guys we had go on IR, a guy almost dying on the field in the first game, and 2 games lost on bad coaching, it could have been far worse. it wasn't that long ago we were planning on having the #1 overall pick.

HHURRICANE
12-18-2007, 08:03 AM
all that shows is that our no name starters are no better than our no name back ups.

Op, I agree that the drought has been ridiculously too long and nobody should expect or accept the current state of affairs. With that said TD screwed this team up trying to build a quick winner through FA and dramatic drafts.

I have taken over businesses in trouble and it takes a while to fix them even after you clean out the garbage employess, etc.

The proof of what this organization is made of will be this off-season. I will hold final judgement til than. This off-season will pretty much decide if we are .500 again or serious about the playoffs.

ddaryl
12-18-2007, 08:27 AM
I said during last years off season that if we went 8-8 then that was a positive sign.

Add in the fact we lost 15 players or so to IR on top of what we lost in vet experience... an 8-8 record is fantastic and pretty much over achieving IMO.

We have 30 mil in salary cap space, so we have alot to lok forward to

Oaf
12-18-2007, 03:04 PM

:yawn: Give it a rest.

Some people are satisfied with this season, others aren't.

After pouring my heart out for the last 8 years, I would of thought I'd get some sort of result.

I asked this before, would you rather have an awful team that doesn't win more than 5 games a season 4 out 5 times but makes the playoffs once, or would you rather have an mediocre team that averages 7 game 5 out of 5 times?

I'm not trying to make a point, I don't know what my answer would be.

John Doe
12-18-2007, 03:11 PM
If the Bills finished .500 with a QB that took all the snaps like last year and with a team that did not have early devastating injuries then I might be disappointed.

Considering the poor play from JP that necessitated a QB change to a rookie and all of the other young players that contributed, I can't say that I am disappointed with the season overall. There were certainly some disappointing moments, but every Bills' season has had them.

As far as the argument about the Bills not being able to beat good teams...it has been true. But, how many teams in the league have won all of the games that they were supposed to? I think that, so far, only the Patriots and the Bills can say that.

HH has been right about a lot of things this year and he is right about the title of this thread as well. Every fan should be proud of the team.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 03:56 PM
:yawn: Give it a rest.

Some people are satisfied with this season, others aren't.

After pouring my heart out for the last 8 years, I would of thought I'd get some sort of result.

I asked this before, would you rather have an awful team that doesn't win more than 5 games a season 4 out 5 times but makes the playoffs once, or would you rather have an mediocre team that averages 7 game 5 out of 5 times?

I'm not trying to make a point, I don't know what my answer would be.

Obviously you do not see the sarcasm in the post between Justa and myself but that's ok you'll catch on quick.

Thanks for the Neg Rep

HHURRICANE
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
If the Bills finished .500 with a QB that took all the snaps like last year and with a team that did not have early devastating injuries then I might be disappointed.

Bingo. Great point.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-18-2007, 06:55 PM
You are all willing to give this team a pass on not keeping itself healthy? That's pathetic! No man in their right mind would attribute that many injuries to luck. They let their first round draft pick go to waste within two weeks, for crying out loud!

Billzz
12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
You are all willing to give this team a pass on not keeping itself healthy? That's pathetic! No man in their right mind would attribute that many injuries to luck. They let their first round draft pick go to waste within two weeks, for crying out loud!

You lost me somewhere. Are you saying the injuries could of been preventable and the team screwed up by not preventing the injuries from happening? or are you being sarcastic I cannot tell.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Are you saying the injuries could of been preventable and the team screwed up by not preventing the injuries from happening?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I seriously doubt that all of this was unavoidable. I don't expect a perfectly healthy season (that would require a lot of luck) but things should not have been nearly as bad as they were this year in that department.

HAMMER
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM

"They let their first round draft pick go to waste"? OMG this is just unbeleivable. Yes, it is the trainers fault someone fell on his arm at just the right angle and broke it. This is a new low for BZ.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I seriously doubt that all of this was unavoidable. I don't expect a perfectly healthy season (that would require a lot of luck) but things should not have been nearly as bad as they were this year in that department.

I am not sure what to say bro. So I guess I will let everyone else explain my feelings as I am sure they will.

Oaf
12-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Obviously you do not see the sarcasm in the post between Justa and myself but that's ok you'll catch on quick.

Thanks for the Neg Rep
No problem. :up:

I mostly took your first post as foolish and thought your 2nd one was more of the same. Next time I'll neg the right one and leave you to your playful banter. :sorry:

FlyingDutchman
12-19-2007, 08:09 AM

You said we would absolutely suck before this year even started. We were devastated by injuries and a QB circus thanks to the regime before us. Yet through this all, this "terrible" team made a playoff run and actually kept us somewhat excited throughout the year. I know its not as exciting as making the playoffs, but we made lemonade with the lemons we were givin. This repatative "excepting mediocrity" is whats getting old. This season should/could have been A LOT worse.

OpIv37
12-19-2007, 08:50 AM
You said we would absolutely suck before this year even started. We were devastated by injuries and a QB circus thanks to the regime before us. Yet through this all, this "terrible" team made a playoff run and actually kept us somewhat excited throughout the year. I know its not as exciting as making the playoffs, but we made lemonade with the lemons we were givin. This repatative "excepting mediocrity" is whats getting old. This season should/could have been A LOT worse.

There's some truth to that but at the same time a few plays here or there could have made this season something special, and we couldn't get it done when it counted the most. I'm frustrated by the very fact that we're given lemons to start with. When people say we "overachieved" by barely beating a bunch of losing teams to get to 7-7 and missing the playoffs, the implication of that is that the playoffs were never even a realistic possibility and we can't even use it as a metric to gauge the team. That's just a sad state of affairs.

Did the team exceed my expectations? Yes, but the goal isn't to exceed my expectations. I'm just one fan. The goal is to win, make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. And we didn't even come close.

njsue
12-19-2007, 08:54 AM
I said during last years off season that if we went 8-8 then that was a positive sign.

Add in the fact we lost 15 players or so to IR on top of what we lost in vet experience... an 8-8 record is fantastic and pretty much over achieving IMO.

We have 30 mil in salary cap space, so we have alot to lok forward to

I have pegged this bills team to be a real deal playoff team in 2 years with free agency and draft picks.

Bill Brasky
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I have pegged this bills team to be a real deal playoff team in 2 years with free agency and draft picks.

thank god a viable source with rock-solid credentials believes in us!

Billzz
12-19-2007, 09:38 AM
No problem. :up:

I mostly took your first post as foolish and thought your 2nd one was more of the same. Next time I'll neg the right one and leave you to your playful banter. :sorry:

Neg em both that way you won't miss I say. I am more of a carpet bombing mentality personally. You seem more of a strategic bomber that likes to take out key structures.

:rockon:

FlyingDutchman
12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Did the team exceed my expectations? Yes, but the goal isn't to exceed my expectations. I'm just one fan. The goal is to win, make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. And we didn't even come close.

Exceeding your expectations doesnt count as a good year in your opinion? Sure it sucks we didnt make anything of it, but with the last two years, you gotta admit we are in the right direction. I know you hate the front office, and your beef is mainly whats happend in the past. You gotta give Marv and Dick SOME credit for their jobs the last two years. They are putting us close to the playoffs in the middle of rebuilding with a young team that is devastated by injuries.

PS-I agree we beat some cup cake teams, but in the past we always lost at least 2-3 games a year which were deemed totally winnable games. We are now winning those games and hopefully will turn the corner and start winning the tough ones.

justasportsfan
12-19-2007, 10:22 AM
OP was mostly wrong about a lot of things this year. The injuries even made him look worse when they stepped up and overachieved. So now he has to find something wrong with the team to complain about.

ddaryl
12-19-2007, 02:10 PM

That would be sweet... I'm so sick and tired of not being a contender.

I think Marv is doing a solid job in developing a young core. I hope they plan on being a player in FA this year. Another solid draft and a few solid FA pickups and were for real IMO