X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

What Type System are you hoping the new OC would bring in

I don't think bringing in an OC from the outside is a bad thing. What did Fairchild teach Trent? IMO, Nothing complicated. I don't think Trent has been molded by Fairchild to be a certain type of qb yet. He's too dumb anyways. Conservative stuff which needs to continuity.

I would love to bring in an OC like Minny has. Someone who can make use of Lynch+ Jackson.Someone who can build a team around Lynch. SMASHMOUTH.

Our rb's are a devloping qb's best friend.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • User Manuel
    The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
    • Nov 2003

Re: What Type System are you hoping the new OC would bring in

One that leads to touchdowns. I could give a damn the style they play as long as they score and win.

On the smashmouth note I wouldn't call Minny smashmouth in its truest sense. They run a lot of draws, outside counters, screens etc to utilize Taylor and Peterson's abilities.

Comment

• NorthCarBills
      • Jan 2006

Great question.

Oddly enough, I was thinking when Fairchild came in, he'd show more of that St. Louis style offense. I was excited about that. But it's obvious now that their success and approach was all Martz.

So to answer the question...yes, I'd love to see that diverse Minny style of offense here, where the strengths of our two RBs are utilized to the fullest. That includes a lot more pass catching...maybe more H Back sets, etc.

Also agree taking someone from outside of our system is probably more of a plus than a negative. Maybe take a chance on a RB or WR coach from an existing, high powered offensive team (e.g. Dallas, New England, Indy).

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NorthCarBills
        Also agree taking someone from outside of our system is probably more of a plus than a negative. Maybe take a chance on a RB or WR coach from an existing, high powered offensive team (e.g. Dallas, New England, Indy).
        IMO, they will grab someone from any of the teams that make playoffs.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• User Manuel
          The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
          • Nov 2003

Brian Billick will probably be available.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

I would like to see a West Coast offense. Bring someone in from the Holmgren, Reid, Gruden tree. I think it would suit our QB and the abilities of our RBs.

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
              I would like to see a West Coast offense. Bring someone in from the Holmgren, Reid, Gruden tree. I think it would suit our QB and the abilities of our RBs.

I think it would be a good idea. Trent has been exposed to this coming out of stanford and it is said he is very accurate on 3 step drops.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                I don't think bringing in an OC from the outside is a bad thing. What did Fairchild teach Trent? IMO, Nothing complicated. I don't think Trent has been molded by Fairchild to be a certain type of qb yet. He's too dumb anyways. Conservative stuff which needs to continuity.

I would love to bring in an OC like Minny has. Someone who can make use of Lynch+ Jackson.Someone who can build a team around Lynch. SMASHMOUTH.

Our rb's are a devloping qb's best friend.
                IMO we build around the QB. One tailored to Edwards strengths.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

i would bring in a system that has our base set as 3 wr 1 TE 1 RB

forcing teams to play nickel nearly full time vs us.

the problem with this however is we are 2 wrs and 1 TE short for this style of play

Comment

• Billzz
                    • Sep 2003

Another ass hat with a 790 page play book? West coast, power I, who really cares.

If the Steelers/Jags/Bears/Pats/Bucs or any other playoff contenders have tought us over the last few years is a solid D and GREAT LINE PLAY is crucial. How many times have you seen these teams line up on 3rd and 2 KNOWING they will run the ball and just get it done? We can run the Wing-T for all I care as long as it's effective.

What do all these teams have in common year after year? Great lines. We made a attempt at fixing them this off season, half hearted and possibly in the wrong direction for our D-line but lets see what they do this year. Without kick ass lines we might as well not even bother worrying about anything else.

I mean in the last game we only sent out 2 recievers in patterns because of mass protect needed to keep TE safe because they blitzed. How many free blitzers came thru during the Browns game? How many times in short yardage when we needed a stop and get off the field did our D-line get pushed back? In the Jags game we got man-handled, in the browns game I don't even want to talk how many yards back we got pushed back by their O-line. If it wasn't for great LB play in the first half he would of broke 200 yards on us.

So to stay on target with the thread the OC and particular system they run needs to be based on the talent and strengths of this team. From what people are saying we need to BULK up our O-line to have a strong running game. Being a Northern team a awesome running game is critical because of weather conditions, time management, putting teams away and goal line instances. A OC that can bring in a great line in his back pocket?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I think it needs to be a "run first" offense. This team has two solid running backs in Lynch and Jackson, some potential in Wright and a vet in Anthony Thomas. Meanwhile, we're hurting at WR.

on top of that, we have a "bend but don't break" D. Granted, for much of this season the D has surpassed expectations, but they still break, and they tend to break more often when they've been on the field too long (duh). A ball control offense will help the D by keeping them rested.

I just don't want to see anything that's predicated on a spread formation or a pass-happy offense cuz we just don't have the personnel for it at the moment. It'll be another attempt at putting the proverbial round peg in the square hole.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Billzz
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        I think it needs to be a "run first" offense. This team has two solid running backs in Lynch and Jackson, some potential in Wright and a vet in Anthony Thomas. Meanwhile, we're hurting at WR.

on top of that, we have a "bend but don't break" D. Granted, for much of this season the D has surpassed expectations, but they still break, and they tend to break more often when they've been on the field too long (duh). A ball control offense will help the D by keeping them rested.

I just don't want to see anything that's predicated on a spread formation or a pass-happy offense cuz we just don't have the personnel for it at the moment. It'll be another attempt at putting the proverbial round peg in the square hole.
                        We have been run first pretty much all year and have had success to a certain degree with it. I do not expect that to go away with a new OC.

Comment

• Elminster
                          #1 Kelsay Fan
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Billzz
                          We have been run first pretty much all year and have had success to a certain degree with it. I do not expect that to go away with a new OC.
                          That is a good point. From a passing stand-point, our personnel is extremely lacking, and I feel that our offensive line is underachieving. I think it's time to kick McNally out the door and slam it on his ass. There haven't been as many holes as I feel there ought to be, and, let's face it...who in the NFL, aside from the Phish and the Bungles, has anything to fear from our passing attack? No one. We need guys who can routinely catch a football and do something with it(I'm looking at you, Royal and Gaines) and we need to better utilize our personnel.

That said, I think a good part of our struggles is the fact that even the announcers know what we're going to do on a given play. If the announcers know, you better believe the defense does. And that makes it a lot harder. Getting some unpredictability back in our O will help out a lot even without improvements in coaching and personnel.
                          Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Billzz
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Elminster
                            That is a good point. From a passing stand-point, our personnel is extremely lacking, and I feel that our offensive line is underachieving. I think it's time to kick McNally out the door and slam it on his ass. There haven't been as many holes as I feel there ought to be, and, let's face it...who in the NFL, aside from the Phish and the Bungles, has anything to fear from our passing attack? No one. We need guys who can routinely catch a football and do something with it(I'm looking at you, Royal and Gaines) and we need to better utilize our personnel.

That said, I think a good part of our struggles is the fact that even the announcers know what we're going to do on a given play. If the announcers know, you better believe the defense does. And that makes it a lot harder. Getting some unpredictability back in our O will help out a lot even without improvements in coaching and personnel.
                            It's not even so much the unpredictability as the other team having to respect the fact we can throw the ball down the field or make long plays. 8 in the box pretty much all year against us and we still force the issue by running the ball.

Even in the post game report from TE he stated they Browns where overloaded on the side of the screen and they still ran the play, why? This is where changing the play at the line and experience will help us and if he continues to be the starter at QB.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

I don't have any particular problem with Fairchild's system. I think sometimes he went too conservative because Buffalo had young inexperienced QBs. Thus it was the play calling and game planning that came up short sometimes. Fairchild has the plays that can work. Whatever the Bills do, I hope they don't bring in a guy revamps everything including blocking schemes and terminology. Some things should stay the same to allow the Bills to build on what they have rather than start from scratch on everything.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X