PDA

View Full Version : What Type System are you hoping the new OC would bring in

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't think bringing in an OC from the outside is a bad thing. What did Fairchild teach Trent? IMO, Nothing complicated. I don't think Trent has been molded by Fairchild to be a certain type of qb yet. He's too dumb anyways. Conservative stuff which needs to continuity.

I would love to bring in an OC like Minny has. Someone who can make use of Lynch+ Jackson.Someone who can build a team around Lynch. SMASHMOUTH.

Our rb's are a devloping qb's best friend.

User Manuel
12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
One that leads to touchdowns. I could give a damn the style they play as long as they score and win.

On the smashmouth note I wouldn't call Minny smashmouth in its truest sense. They run a lot of draws, outside counters, screens etc to utilize Taylor and Peterson's abilities.

NorthCarBills
12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Great question.

Oddly enough, I was thinking when Fairchild came in, he'd show more of that St. Louis style offense. I was excited about that. But it's obvious now that their success and approach was all Martz.

So to answer the question...yes, I'd love to see that diverse Minny style of offense here, where the strengths of our two RBs are utilized to the fullest. That includes a lot more pass catching...maybe more H Back sets, etc.

Also agree taking someone from outside of our system is probably more of a plus than a negative. Maybe take a chance on a RB or WR coach from an existing, high powered offensive team (e.g. Dallas, New England, Indy).

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Also agree taking someone from outside of our system is probably more of a plus than a negative. Maybe take a chance on a RB or WR coach from an existing, high powered offensive team (e.g. Dallas, New England, Indy).
IMO, they will grab someone from any of the teams that make playoffs.

User Manuel
12-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Brian Billick will probably be available.

Mahdi
12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I would like to see a West Coast offense. Bring someone in from the Holmgren, Reid, Gruden tree. I think it would suit our QB and the abilities of our RBs.

Kerr
12-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I would like to see a West Coast offense. Bring someone in from the Holmgren, Reid, Gruden tree. I think it would suit our QB and the abilities of our RBs.

I think it would be a good idea. Trent has been exposed to this coming out of stanford and it is said he is very accurate on 3 step drops.

THATHURMANATOR
12-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think bringing in an OC from the outside is a bad thing. What did Fairchild teach Trent? IMO, Nothing complicated. I don't think Trent has been molded by Fairchild to be a certain type of qb yet. He's too dumb anyways. Conservative stuff which needs to continuity.

I would love to bring in an OC like Minny has. Someone who can make use of Lynch+ Jackson.Someone who can build a team around Lynch. SMASHMOUTH.

IMO we build around the QB. One tailored to Edwards strengths.

djjimkelly
12-18-2007, 11:00 AM
i would bring in a system that has our base set as 3 wr 1 TE 1 RB

forcing teams to play nickel nearly full time vs us.

the problem with this however is we are 2 wrs and 1 TE short for this style of play

Billzz
12-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Another ass hat with a 790 page play book? West coast, power I, who really cares.

If the Steelers/Jags/Bears/Pats/Bucs or any other playoff contenders have tought us over the last few years is a solid D and GREAT LINE PLAY is crucial. How many times have you seen these teams line up on 3rd and 2 KNOWING they will run the ball and just get it done? We can run the Wing-T for all I care as long as it's effective.

What do all these teams have in common year after year? Great lines. We made a attempt at fixing them this off season, half hearted and possibly in the wrong direction for our D-line but lets see what they do this year. Without kick ass lines we might as well not even bother worrying about anything else.

I mean in the last game we only sent out 2 recievers in patterns because of mass protect needed to keep TE safe because they blitzed. How many free blitzers came thru during the Browns game? How many times in short yardage when we needed a stop and get off the field did our D-line get pushed back? In the Jags game we got man-handled, in the browns game I don't even want to talk how many yards back we got pushed back by their O-line. If it wasn't for great LB play in the first half he would of broke 200 yards on us.

So to stay on target with the thread the OC and particular system they run needs to be based on the talent and strengths of this team. From what people are saying we need to BULK up our O-line to have a strong running game. Being a Northern team a awesome running game is critical because of weather conditions, time management, putting teams away and goal line instances. A OC that can bring in a great line in his back pocket?

OpIv37
12-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I think it needs to be a "run first" offense. This team has two solid running backs in Lynch and Jackson, some potential in Wright and a vet in Anthony Thomas. Meanwhile, we're hurting at WR.

on top of that, we have a "bend but don't break" D. Granted, for much of this season the D has surpassed expectations, but they still break, and they tend to break more often when they've been on the field too long (duh). A ball control offense will help the D by keeping them rested.

I just don't want to see anything that's predicated on a spread formation or a pass-happy offense cuz we just don't have the personnel for it at the moment. It'll be another attempt at putting the proverbial round peg in the square hole.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I think it needs to be a "run first" offense. This team has two solid running backs in Lynch and Jackson, some potential in Wright and a vet in Anthony Thomas. Meanwhile, we're hurting at WR.

on top of that, we have a "bend but don't break" D. Granted, for much of this season the D has surpassed expectations, but they still break, and they tend to break more often when they've been on the field too long (duh). A ball control offense will help the D by keeping them rested.

I just don't want to see anything that's predicated on a spread formation or a pass-happy offense cuz we just don't have the personnel for it at the moment. It'll be another attempt at putting the proverbial round peg in the square hole.

We have been run first pretty much all year and have had success to a certain degree with it. I do not expect that to go away with a new OC.

Elminster
12-18-2007, 11:37 AM
We have been run first pretty much all year and have had success to a certain degree with it. I do not expect that to go away with a new OC.
That is a good point. From a passing stand-point, our personnel is extremely lacking, and I feel that our offensive line is underachieving. I think it's time to kick McNally out the door and slam it on his ass. There haven't been as many holes as I feel there ought to be, and, let's face it...who in the NFL, aside from the Phish and the Bungles, has anything to fear from our passing attack? No one. We need guys who can routinely catch a football and do something with it(I'm looking at you, Royal and Gaines) and we need to better utilize our personnel.

That said, I think a good part of our struggles is the fact that even the announcers know what we're going to do on a given play. If the announcers know, you better believe the defense does. And that makes it a lot harder. Getting some unpredictability back in our O will help out a lot even without improvements in coaching and personnel.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 11:47 AM
That is a good point. From a passing stand-point, our personnel is extremely lacking, and I feel that our offensive line is underachieving. I think it's time to kick McNally out the door and slam it on his ass. There haven't been as many holes as I feel there ought to be, and, let's face it...who in the NFL, aside from the Phish and the Bungles, has anything to fear from our passing attack? No one. We need guys who can routinely catch a football and do something with it(I'm looking at you, Royal and Gaines) and we need to better utilize our personnel.

That said, I think a good part of our struggles is the fact that even the announcers know what we're going to do on a given play. If the announcers know, you better believe the defense does. And that makes it a lot harder. Getting some unpredictability back in our O will help out a lot even without improvements in coaching and personnel.

It's not even so much the unpredictability as the other team having to respect the fact we can throw the ball down the field or make long plays. 8 in the box pretty much all year against us and we still force the issue by running the ball.

Even in the post game report from TE he stated they Browns where overloaded on the side of the screen and they still ran the play, why? This is where changing the play at the line and experience will help us and if he continues to be the starter at QB.

TigerJ
12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't have any particular problem with Fairchild's system. I think sometimes he went too conservative because Buffalo had young inexperienced QBs. Thus it was the play calling and game planning that came up short sometimes. Fairchild has the plays that can work. Whatever the Bills do, I hope they don't bring in a guy revamps everything including blocking schemes and terminology. Some things should stay the same to allow the Bills to build on what they have rather than start from scratch on everything.

RockStar36
12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
An offense that utilizes the RB the correct way. An offense that isn't scared.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 12:29 PM
IMO we build around the QB. One tailored to Edwards strengths.
He's unproven. He may still bust. It isn't clear what his strengths and weaknesses are. If we are to build a team around his strengths, from the info we have so far, we might as well go WCO.

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Brian Billick will probably be available.
My left foot knows as much about offense as Brian Billick.

User Manuel
12-18-2007, 12:34 PM

You significantly underrate your left foot.....

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 12:38 PM
He would be an instant upgrade over Fairchild.

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2007, 12:40 PM
He would be an instant upgrade over Fairchild.
That isn't saying much.

When has Brian Billick ever shown any of his "offensive genius" since he left Minnesota?

colin
12-18-2007, 12:42 PM
a west coat type of look would work well IMO.

moving evans around to exploit his speed and route running, our guards and C can pull pretty well and our tackles are good holding up on an island.

marshawn and jackson can both come out the backfield catching the ball and hurting people.

if we get one or even two big WRs/TEs and one interior lineman with trent as our qb we could be a very effective WCO, or at least some variation.

it allows for ball control, running and passing to backs, and works to our strengths at qb and on the line.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 12:46 PM
That isn't saying much.

When has Brian Billick ever shown any of his "offensive genius" since he left Minnesota?
He does know how to run the ball. Lynch should benefit from it.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 12:47 PM
our guards and C can pull pretty well

.Huh?

Mahdi
12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Huh?
Thats an accurate statement.... Both Dockery and Butler pull well and so does Fowler. Fowler is weak when it comes to blocking straight ahead because he's not powerful enough.

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2007, 12:51 PM
He does know how to run the ball. Lynch should benefit from it.
You saying you'd rather have Baltimore's offense? When they were good, it was DESPITE their offense. That's why Billick is getting canned. No thanks.

Kerr
12-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Jeff Faine has done a fine job in New Orleans for Drew Brees and their running game. If you were looking to upgrade at C...

Billzz
12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
You saying you'd rather have Baltimore's offense? When they were good, it was DESPITE their offense. That's why Billick is getting canned. No thanks.

They won the SB with Dilfer at the helm, nuff said. It was their RUNNING game and DEFENSE that won them the title. Dilfer just protected the ball and it worked for them.

Billick has done some REALLY stupid things since he took over the play calling and even the defensive players where questioning it this year. No way in hell I want him anywhere near our orginization. He threw how many times on 3-4th down short yardage situations to give us the win this year? He is a big part of why we won that game.

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2007, 12:59 PM
If we hire Billick, it is for a janitorial assistant position.

madness
12-18-2007, 01:04 PM

100% agree and think it would be a nice fit in Buffalo. Edwards fits the mold of a WC QB all the way and could really thrive in the WCO. I also think it's the perfect compliment to our Tampa 2 defense.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 01:06 PM
You saying you'd rather have Baltimore's offense? When they were good, it was DESPITE their offense. That's why Billick is getting canned. No thanks.never said that. Just that he's an upgrade over what we have. I know it isn't saying much but maybe he can get Lynch/Jackson to run for over 2000 yards.

I doubt we get him anyways.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
100% agree and think it would be a nice fit in Buffalo. Edwards fits the mold of a WC QB all the way and could really thrive in the WCO. I also think it's the perfect compliment to our Tampa 2 defense.

How is Edwards a fit with our Defense in your opinion? Ball control type offense that has long sustained short throw running type offense? Not busting that is a question.

West Coast offense is a run first pass second offense, good for us.

Uses alot of screens which would put Lynch in space with GOOD BLOCKING and pulling guards, good for us.

Lastely its main purpose is to open up DOWNFIELD passing lanes, we have to actually throw the ball more then 20 yards to utilize that.

We don't even need the West Coast most teams already start stopping the run we just need to pass it and take advantage of man coverage. Problem being our recievers or OC or QB, maybe a combination of all? One thing JP did do well and sometimes had success with is the long ball, we have to take our shots.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 01:18 PM
when was the last time the WCO won the sb? Farve? I don't think we have Farve on our team. Pass on the WCO, Unless you have Flutie as the qb.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Anwser to all your questions reside here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense

Wolverines I guess are the last one to win with it.

EDS
12-18-2007, 01:43 PM

I want a winning system. I don't think the Bills have a good enough offensive line to play like the Vikings.

madness
12-18-2007, 01:46 PM
How is Edwards a fit with our Defense in your opinion? Ball control type offense that has long sustained short throw running type offense? Not busting that is a question.

West Coast offense is a run first pass second offense, good for us.

Uses alot of screens which would put Lynch in space with GOOD BLOCKING and pulling guards, good for us.

Lastely its main purpose is to open up DOWNFIELD passing lanes, we have to actually throw the ball more then 20 yards to utilize that.

We don't even need the West Coast most teams already start stopping the run we just need to pass it and take advantage of man coverage. Problem being our recievers or OC or QB, maybe a combination of all? One thing JP did do well and sometimes had success with is the long ball, we have to take our shots.

You're describing more a traditional WCO. I'm looking more toward bringing in Bill Walsh's design.

This WCO is based on a short, horizontal passing attack that sets up the run and opens up deep passing lanes. It also gets your backs more involved in the passing game through screens and short routes. The main benefit is that if run successfully, it keeps the defense from loading the box and makes them play "honest" since the formations does not give away run or pass.

Walsh's design needs a smart QB with a strong arm that makes quick reads and even quicker decisions. Edwards is already showing that he possesses all these tools, they just need to be refined at this point.

As far as complimenting our D... The West Coast is all about ball control and using TOP as an advantage by keeping the other team's offense off the field. The more fresh our fast, attacking D is; the higher the level they can play at.

madness
12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
when was the last time the WCO won the sb? Farve? I don't think we have Farve on our team. Pass on the WCO, Unless you have Flutie as the qb.

Just going off memory, in the past 10 years if it wasn't the Rams or the Patriots, I believe it was a WCO that won the SB.

As much as people bust on the Raven's offense, there's no denying what Billick did back in Minny. He's 3rd generation on the Walsh's coaching tree and I think he's a better coordinator then a head coach. If he's available, he's definitely worth looking at.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 01:51 PM
You're describing more a tradtional WCO. I'm looking more toward bringing in Bill Walsh's design.

This WCO is based on a short, horizontal passing attack that sets up the run and opens up deep passing lanes. It also gets your backs more involved in the passing game through screens and short routes. The main benefit is that if run succesfully, it keeps the defense from loading the box and makes them play "honest" since the formations does not give away run or pass.

Walsh's design needs a smart QB with a strong arm that makes quick reads and even quicker decisions. Edwards is already showing that possesses all these tools, they just need to be refined at this point.

As far as complimenting our D... The West Coast is all about ball control and using TOP as an advantage by keeping the other team's offense off the field. The more fresh our fast, attacking D is; the higher the level they can play at.

I hope your correct because you just painted a very nice picture of next year. Hopefully they will address it this off season and let us know what the plans are when the new OC is named.

Sold!

madness
12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I hope your correct because you just painted a very nice picture of next year. Hopefully they will address it this off season and let us know what the plans are when the new OC is named.

Sold!

Me too! The key, though, all comes down to the coach running it since it's not just an offense any coach can pick up just from reading a playbook. It's pretty much more of a philosphy then anything. (just like Fewell's defense)

I also really believe our offense fits right in the mold of a WCO minus a big possession receiver and maybe a receiving threat at TE. Our O-line excells in pass blocking, Edwards has the tools, Reed and Parrish are excellent 3rd and 4th options for the system and the Lynch-Jackson combo is the perfect fit since the WC playbook is filled with two-back formations.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Me too! The key, though, all comes down to the coach running it since it's not just an offense any coach can pick up just from reading a playbook. It's pretty much more of a philosphy then anything. (just like Fewell's defense)

I also really believe our offense fits right in the mold of a WCO minus a big possession receiver and maybe a receiving threat at TE. Our O-line excells in pass blocking, Edwards has the tools, Reed and Parrish are excellent 3rd and 4th options for the system and the Lynch-Jackson combo is the perfect fit since the WC playbook is filled with two-back formations.

So we need to go find Jerry Rice and a Bill Walsh prototype.

You are correct with the philosophy and not a cooking manual regarding the WCO. Having a smart QB who can call plays at the line after the defense sets up though is a critical part and hopefully something TE or whoever can be for this offense no matter what we run. A field general with the ability to understand everything on the field, might be a few years but I am excited to see how it pans out.

Mahdi
12-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Tampa Bay won it with the WC offense as well.... Gruden was coaching and he is WC all the way.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Tampa Bay won it with the WC offense as well.... Gruden was coaching and he is WC all the way.

It was his first year though and honestly I do not think his expansive play book was totally in place. I hate to say it but the defense was a HUGE part of them winning along with advanced knowledge of the Raiders and plays/calls. That was Tony Dungy's team which has been discussed to death here in Tampa.

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 02:37 PM
I forgot about that. Their WCO was very well coplimented by the awsome D as did The ravens sb team. So is you have an awsome dominating D, to go with that WCO, I guess it's not such a bad offense.

Ever since Mike Sheppard and his WCO, I never wanted it near buffalo.

Billzz
12-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Add in the fact it took Gruden after losing some key players a couple years to get his team straight the way he wanted it.

His biggest problem was............... wait for it......................... GETTING A QB!

He has done well thru the draft picking personnel to fit his system and battling thru injuries. Yes we have had our share but so have they and in the playoff hunt this year by winning their crappy division. WCO and Cover2 going to the playoffs to support the philosophy.

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Bring back Mike Mularkey!

Billzz
12-18-2007, 05:23 PM
:chair:

justasportsfan
12-18-2007, 06:04 PM

Seriously, he would be an upgrade over Fairchild.