PDA

View Full Version : Colts Improve to 12-0 When Jim Sorgi Plays

Gunzlingr
12-18-2007, 02:20 PM
INDIANAPOLIS--Is there a quarterback controversy brewing in Indianapolis? Probably not, but more than one person has noticed that the Colts are now 12-0 in games in which backup Jim Sorgi plays.

Sorgi played Sunday night in the team’s 44-20 rout of the Baltimore Ravens.
“He just knows how to win out there,” said receiver Reggie Wayne. “Every time he’s behind center, we feel so relaxed and confident, like we’re in complete control of the game. And the statistics don’t lie, either. We don’t lose football games when he’s in there. Not to be disrespectful, but if Peyton died or lost his arm or something, I wouldn’t give a ****.”
Wayne called the combination of Manning and Sorgi “an embarrassment of riches.”
“It’s amazing that we could have two greats quarterbacks on the same roster,” he said. “Jim would definitely be a starter on most other teams. I mean, the guy is undefeated. That’s got to count for something. Okay, so he hasn’t played that many games. So what? He's as automatic as they get. I’m not the GM, but I think you ride this guy until someone can stop him.”
Sorgi has thrown only one interception in his entire career. That kind of accuracy inspires confidence among his teammates and frustration among his opponents. On Sunday, the Ravens got a taste of that frustration, as Sorgi went 3-5 for 26 yards.
“It seems like every time they put that guy in there, they end up winning the game.” said Ravens linebacker Bart Scott. “I don’t know what is, but you know if you see ‘Just Win’ Jim out there the scoreboard is probably going to be a bit lopsided. And man, was this lopsided. It’s nothing like that time that we came within three points of beating the New England Patriots. Have I talked to you about that yet? Oh.”
After the game, coach Tony Dungy awarded the game ball to Sorgi and commended his QB for always finding a way to win. However, Dungy was quick to point out to the media that Manning was still his starting quarterback.
“Obviously Jim is a guy who knows how to go out there and win a game for you,” said Dungy. “His record speaks for itself. But don’t think we’re having some kind of quarterback controversy here. Jim is very happy to be his backup. Who could blame him? Being a backup quarterback is the best job in the world. You don’t have to do dick and you still get paid for it - kind of like the special teams coach.”
Sorgi is indeed happy with his backup role, but admitted that he sometimes daydreams about taking over the reigns for good.
“Oh, sure I could definitely imagine myself doing that,” he said. “It would be a lot of fun to have a whole season behind center. I might even do pretty well. I certainly have a solid track record as far as wins and losses. Then again, that could be because I only come in when the games are already well in hand. Hmmm…I wonder if that as anything to do with it. Somebody should call those Football Outsiders guys to research that.”

Link (http://www.thebrushback.com/sorgi_full.htm)