PDA

View Full Version : horse collar rule

trapezeus
12-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I feel like i've seen Bills players dragged down horse collar several times since the rule came about but no penalties called. is it safe to that Roy williams is the only one who gets nabbed on it...with the exception of when he did it in the bills cowboys game this year?

and isn't that damning to his career that he continuously is making tackles from behind? Prediction, Roy Williams is out of football in 2 years.

OpIv37
12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I think the rule is only if you grab the collar at the back of the jersey- you're still allowed to drag someone down from behind if you have the lower part of the jersey or if your hand is over the top of the shoulder pads- so it's possible for a tackle to look very similar to a horse collar without actually being one.

And yes, it is damaging to Roy Williams' career. He's done an absolutely awful job of adjusting to the new rule. I hate it when the league gets overly protective but I think it's a good rule- it's too easy to blow out a knee and that's a career-ending injury for a lot of speed positions.

Billzz
12-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I feel like i've seen Bills players dragged down horse collar several times since the rule came about but no penalties called. is it safe to that Roy williams is the only one who gets nabbed on it...with the exception of when he did it in the bills cowboys game this year?

and isn't that damning to his career that he continuously is making tackles from behind? Prediction, Roy Williams is out of football in 2 years.

It is a habit and we all know habits are hard to break. He has been tackling like that for his entire career which is not illegal in anything but the NFL at this time and only within the last year. He reacts by instinct and will learn over time.

Why is he out of football in 2 years? Basing that on him being kicked out of the league, injury or just pure speculation? Guessing the later.

trapezeus
12-19-2007, 01:26 PM
speculation mostly. but its based on the fact that he's trying to catch up with people from behind. As a safety, he should be fast enough to catch up with a gimpy owens and smart enough to take the right angle on WR.

Consistantly having to have a last gasp effort to reach out as the guy is wizzing by seems like something people will say, "why is he out of position and needing to make these kind of tackles."

Just my opinion,but i agree, it is a habit and that it's hard to break. but monetary penalties usually make most people correct their habits quickly.

OpIv37
12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Consistantly having to have a last gasp effort to reach out as the guy is wizzing by seems like something people will say, "why is he out of position and needing to make these kind of tackles."

there's something to that but I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If he can consistently make horse collar tackles from a step or two behind the ball carrier, it allows him to gamble and break on the ball more. Some of those gambles will pay off, and if he does get beat, it will be for maybe a 15 yard gain instead of a touchdown. So, overall, the ability to be out of position and still make the play could help his game.

Of course, that's all irrelevant now that horse collar tackles are illegal, but that's my take on why he's become so dependent on them.

DraftBoy
12-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Well he's absolutely horrible in coverage

Bill Brasky
12-19-2007, 02:12 PM
considering the rule was put into place because of him, i doubt it's affected anyone else. he's the only dirtball i see that still does it on a regular basis. he should have been suspended longer... how many broken legs/injuries has he caused because of this? i'm sure if espn wasn't teabagging jessica simpson they could provide us with this highly unuseful information.

trapezeus
12-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Op is right that you see alot of things that look like horsecollars from players. i feel like there have been a bunch against the bills, and i know there were some that looked like it but weren't (most recently at the dolphins bills game there was one that looked like a HC but wasn't after seeing it in slow mo). But roy williams seems to be the only guy getting caught.

I also wonder what TO's take on the suspension is. he was the guy who was hurt by Williams in 2005. now they are on the same team.

Of course TO doesn't have a comment mostly because he's working on ripping on Jessica Simpson and working on a dance move for the playoffs.

DynaPaul
12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I can't remember if it was the Bills-Browns game or the Patriots-Jets game but I did see someone use the horse collar tackle near the sideline and they got called for a penalty. Someone watching the game with me asked why there was a flag on the tackle and I mentioned the "Roy Williams" rule.

chernobylwraiths
12-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I think this is a good rule. Injuries can happen from almost anything. They still allow chop blocking and that has probably ended more careers than just about any illegal tackles put together.

jamze132
12-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Op is right that you see alot of things that look like horsecollars from players. i feel like there have been a bunch against the bills, and i know there were some that looked like it but weren't (most recently at the dolphins bills game there was one that looked like a HC but wasn't after seeing it in slow mo). But roy williams seems to be the only guy getting caught.

I also wonder what TO's take on the suspension is. he was the guy who was hurt by Williams in 2005. now they are on the same team.

Of course TO doesn't have a comment mostly because he's working on ripping on Jessica Simpson and working on a dance move for the playoffs.
If you go to ESPN.com, you can read where TO and a bunch of guys on the sideline didn't like the fact that Roy did it AGAIN.

Ickybaluky
12-20-2007, 07:19 AM
There is no question that the horse tackle rule is a good one. It is a dangerous tackling technique and the league was right to outlaw it outside the box.

That said, a suspension is over the top. You can throw the flag and keep fining the guy in increasing increments, but a suspension? That seems a little over-the-top for a football play. I understand suspensions for off-field stuff, but this is a tackling technique, and there are penalties and fines to deal with that.

What is next, suspensions for chop blocks and facemasks?

DraftBoy
12-20-2007, 07:26 AM
There is no question that the horse tackle rule is a good one. It is a dangerous tackling technique and the league was right to outlaw it outside the box.

That said, a suspension is over the top. You can throw the flag and keep fining the guy in increasing increments, but a suspension? That seems a little over-the-top for a football play. I understand suspensions for off-field stuff, but this is a tackling technique, and there are penalties and fines to deal with that.

I believe George Foster got suspended for a chop block a year or two ago when he hurt a guy for the year. If you preform an illegal activity especially one that is as dangerous as this, and your a constant violator then what recourse does the NFL have? The guy has more than enough money, and whats the point of the rule if you cant make them obey it. Goodell was completely in the right on this one.

MikeInRoch
12-20-2007, 07:49 AM

For repeat offenses, yes.