PDA

View Full Version : Hughes and Edwards

OpIv37
12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Some people on here, including myself, thought we should have taken CB Daymeion Hughes in the 3rd round instead of Edwards. The Colts selected Hughes two picks later.

Well, I'm not sold on Trent as our franchise QB just yet, and I really don't know how Hughes has played (or even if he's played) for Indy. But that's not really relevant.

Turns out our defensive backfield was just fine, even with the loss of Clements and the slew of injuries. McGee has been the only consistency- Youboty, Webster, K Thomas, Greer and Butler have all worked the opposite side, and Whitner's even played some CB in nickel and dime situations. Yet, somehow, this group of inexperienced youngsters and no-name journeymen has played surprisingly well this season (with a few notable exceptions like NE, but they were solid for the most part).

So, those of us who wanted Hughes were wrong- myself included.

This crow would taste better if I could eat it with some BBQ sauce.

HHURRICANE
12-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Don't feel too bad. I thought Edwards was a dumb pick in the third round. Who knew he would end up being our franchise QB.

patmoran2006
12-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Edwards WILL be a franchise QB.

For a rookie, this kid is smart beyond his years. Just wait til he gets a REAL O.C. and a few legit weapons on his side.

TigerJ
12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
When Edwards was drafted, I said, "Huh?" I was OK with I after a couple days. I was never sold on Daymeion Hughes. I know CBs in the cover 2 don't need as much speed as say Gregg Williams' defensive scheme in Washington, but I can't help but think Hughes' extreme lack of speed will be a liability in the NFL, far moreso than it was for him in college. What does he run, a 4.6 or slower? Heck, I worried about Poz running a 4.68. compared to Patrick Willis' 4.45.

Oaf
12-20-2007, 12:48 AM
I was pissed we didn't take Hughes too. Although Greer and McGee have done fine, we've really been missing a dependable slot guy since KT went down. I'd still like it to be addressed in the midrounds.

jamze132
12-20-2007, 03:41 AM
I too couldn't figure out why we drafted a QB who I never heard of in round 3 but after I remembered that Marv didn't draft JP, it made me ok.

LifetimeBillsFan
12-20-2007, 05:53 AM
I will 'fess up, too! I was not at all happy about the Edwards pick because, even thought I knew that the Bills would be drafting a QB at some point, there were a couple of players still on the board that I was hoping that the Bills could get, including Hughes, and I figured that the Bills could get a QB later on.

I didn't know much about Edwards and his college career numbers, especially going 0-7 as a senior, weren't very inspiring. But, after I thought about it a little, I decided that Marv Levy deserved the benefit of the doubt from me after the draft that he had the year before. But, I was definitely in "wait-and-see" mode on Edwards.

And, while I'm with OP in still wanting to see more before deciding if Edwards will develop into a "franchise" QB capable of taking the team where I want to see them go, I must also confess that I have been quite impressed by what I have seen of him so far, even when he hasn't thrown the ball particularly well. I just want to see how he develops over the next year or two.

But, as I said in a previous post, Edwards just may turn out to be Bill Walsh's parting gift to Marv Levy--and a good one at that!

(Hey, OP, if you find some good BBQ sauce for your crow, could you pass it along? Mine could use some, too!)

DraftBoy
12-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Edwards WILL be a franchise QB.

For a rookie, this kid is smart beyond his years. Just wait til he gets a REAL O.C. and a few legit weapons on his side.

:rofl:

Don't Panic
12-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Some people on here, including myself, thought we should have taken CB Daymeion Hughes in the 3rd round instead of Edwards. The Colts selected Hughes two picks later.

Well, I'm not sold on Trent as our franchise QB just yet, and I really don't know how Hughes has played (or even if he's played) for Indy. But that's not really relevant.

Turns out our defensive backfield was just fine, even with the loss of Clements and the slew of injuries. McGee has been the only consistency- Youboty, Webster, K Thomas, Greer and Butler have all worked the opposite side, and Whitner's even played some CB in nickel and dime situations. Yet, somehow, this group of inexperienced youngsters and no-name journeymen has played surprisingly well this season (with a few notable exceptions like NE, but they were solid for the most part).

So, those of us who wanted Hughes were wrong- myself included.

This must be this week's sign that the apocolypse is upon us... OP said something positive. I had to read it twice just to make sure it wasn't satire.

Jan Reimers
12-20-2007, 09:30 AM
. . . And while watching a Bills' playoff game.

trapezeus
12-20-2007, 09:51 AM
i remember not liking the pick because i really thought that JP was going to excel this year. i thought he made some huge strides in 2006 and that with this being his contract year that he was going to nail the "audition" so to speak.

I also thought that the d was going to suck and the offense was going to win us games.

I also thought that Royal was going to be a lot more effective in his second year.

I thought McGee was going to be more of a liability than he was.

I thought that Lynch was going to have at least 3 long runs that would stun fans. I'm not complaining about lynch, just that he doesn't have too many game breaking plays yet. It'll come in time.

justasportsfan
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM

streetkings01
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Hughes wears #20, just look at his coverage skills in this vid. Look at exactly 37 seconds into it....

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29357&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG12

G. Host
12-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Wys's sauce is so good on crow or any fowl you would think he spent the time making bad predictions just so he could perfect the sauce.

G. Host
12-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh on the CB Hughes a Colts fan at work whines more about that player than Op whines on this board. Every team does that draft players fans have never tried to plug into their fantasy football Madden games.

djjimkelly
12-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Mr. Pink
12-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I have to say, I still wished we took Hughes.

Then turned around in Round 4 and taken Edwards if he was still available. Basing on how the draft went down, he probably would have been there. Edwards taken at 92, Dwayne Wright who very obviously was a wasted pick was taken at 111.

Want to know when the next QB was taken? Jeff Rowe by Cincy at pick 151.

Even if it was Cincy's desire to take a QB, they wouldn't have had a chance at Edwards anyways from pick 92 to pick 111, unless they traded up. Seeing they picked in round 4 at 114.

Albany,n.y.
12-21-2007, 06:04 AM
I seriously doubt Edwards would have been there at pick 111. The reason is because after day 1 ends, the teams all look at who is left & who they might consider a steal. Just look at how many trades take place at the beginning of the 4th round. If one of the scheduled drafting teams didn't take Edwards, a team would have traded up & taken him. If you ever read the draft day article on the Bills war room about the Edwards selection, remember that the Bills were very afraid New Orleans wanted Edwards & was going to trade up to the pick before them that NE eventually traded to Oakland. Also, I have no doubt the Ravens, upon seeing Edwards still on the board on day 2 would have traded up & taken him before pick 111. The reason another QB wasn't taken until 59 picks after Edwards was because Edwards was the last good one left, not because nobody wanted a QB between those 2 picks.

Tatonka
12-21-2007, 07:50 AM
i dont think it is fair to say that wright is a wasted pick either. the bills had no idea that fred jackson was going to turn out the way he did, and wright is still young and we saw very little of him...

Mr. Pink
12-21-2007, 07:55 AM
i dont think it is fair to say that wright is a wasted pick either. the bills had no idea that fred jackson was going to turn out the way he did, and wright is still young and we saw very little of him...

And we'll continue to see very little of him. By the time his contract is up, he'll be gone, if not sooner. Hence why he was a wasted pick.

I'm just going off the fact that it took 59 picks after we took Edwards for another QB was selected to make an educated guess that he would have been available 19 picks later.

Am I right or wrong? No way to tell for sure. But the possibility was there.

And Hughes/Edwards would have been much better than Edwards/Wright. I even think Hughes/Troy Smith would have been better. Troy's looked VERY good in his two appearances in a Ravens uniform this season. Another offense that has very limited weapons and options McGahee and Heap basically.

mayotm
12-21-2007, 08:08 AM
And we'll continue to see very little of him. By the time his contract is up, he'll be gone, if not sooner. Hence why he was a wasted pick.

I'm just going off the fact that it took 59 picks after we took Edwards for another QB was selected to make an educated guess that he would have been available 19 picks later.

Am I right or wrong? No way to tell for sure. But the possibility was there.

And Hughes/Edwards would have been much better than Edwards/Wright. I even think Hughes/Troy Smith would have been better. Troy's looked VERY good in his two appearances in a Ravens uniform this season. Another offense that has very limited weapons and options McGahee and Heap basically.Just so I'm clear, are you suggesting that Troy Smith is going to be better than Edwards?

Mr. Pink
12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Just so I'm clear, are you suggesting that Troy Smith is going to be better than Edwards?

I'm suggesting that Troy Smith is gonna be a good NFL QB. Just like Trent is gonna be. Totally different style game between the two of them, so it's not cut and dry.

And Hughes would be more beneficial to us than Dwayne Wright, tenfold.