• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Hughes and Edwards

Some people on here, including myself, thought we should have taken CB Daymeion Hughes in the 3rd round instead of Edwards. The Colts selected Hughes two picks later.

Well, I'm not sold on Trent as our franchise QB just yet, and I really don't know how Hughes has played (or even if he's played) for Indy. But that's not really relevant.

Turns out our defensive backfield was just fine, even with the loss of Clements and the slew of injuries. McGee has been the only consistency- Youboty, Webster, K Thomas, Greer and Butler have all worked the opposite side, and Whitner's even played some CB in nickel and dime situations. Yet, somehow, this group of inexperienced youngsters and no-name journeymen has played surprisingly well this season (with a few notable exceptions like NE, but they were solid for the most part).

So, those of us who wanted Hughes were wrong- myself included.

This crow would taste better if I could eat it with some BBQ sauce.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Hughes and Edwards

Don't feel too bad. I thought Edwards was a dumb pick in the third round. Who knew he would end up being our franchise QB.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Edwards WILL be a franchise QB.

For a rookie, this kid is smart beyond his years. Just wait til he gets a REAL O.C. and a few legit weapons on his side.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

When Edwards was drafted, I said, "Huh?" I was OK with I after a couple days. I was never sold on Daymeion Hughes. I know CBs in the cover 2 don't need as much speed as say Gregg Williams' defensive scheme in Washington, but I can't help but think Hughes' extreme lack of speed will be a liability in the NFL, far moreso than it was for him in college. What does he run, a 4.6 or slower? Heck, I worried about Poz running a 4.68. compared to Patrick Willis' 4.45.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Oaf
          Do you read what you write?
          • Jun 2007

I was pissed we didn't take Hughes too. Although Greer and McGee have done fine, we've really been missing a dependable slot guy since KT went down. I'd still like it to be addressed in the midrounds.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

I too couldn't figure out why we drafted a QB who I never heard of in round 3 but after I remembered that Marv didn't draft JP, it made me ok.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Aug 2004

I will 'fess up, too! I was not at all happy about the Edwards pick because, even thought I knew that the Bills would be drafting a QB at some point, there were a couple of players still on the board that I was hoping that the Bills could get, including Hughes, and I figured that the Bills could get a QB later on.

I didn't know much about Edwards and his college career numbers, especially going 0-7 as a senior, weren't very inspiring. But, after I thought about it a little, I decided that Marv Levy deserved the benefit of the doubt from me after the draft that he had the year before. But, I was definitely in "wait-and-see" mode on Edwards.

And, while I'm with OP in still wanting to see more before deciding if Edwards will develop into a "franchise" QB capable of taking the team where I want to see them go, I must also confess that I have been quite impressed by what I have seen of him so far, even when he hasn't thrown the ball particularly well. I just want to see how he develops over the next year or two.

But, as I said in a previous post, Edwards just may turn out to be Bill Walsh's parting gift to Marv Levy--and a good one at that!

(Hey, OP, if you find some good BBQ sauce for your crow, could you pass it along? Mine could use some, too!)
              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Edwards WILL be a franchise QB.

For a rookie, this kid is smart beyond his years. Just wait til he gets a REAL O.C. and a few legit weapons on his side.

COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  Some people on here, including myself, thought we should have taken CB Daymeion Hughes in the 3rd round instead of Edwards. The Colts selected Hughes two picks later.

Well, I'm not sold on Trent as our franchise QB just yet, and I really don't know how Hughes has played (or even if he's played) for Indy. But that's not really relevant.

Turns out our defensive backfield was just fine, even with the loss of Clements and the slew of injuries. McGee has been the only consistency- Youboty, Webster, K Thomas, Greer and Butler have all worked the opposite side, and Whitner's even played some CB in nickel and dime situations. Yet, somehow, this group of inexperienced youngsters and no-name journeymen has played surprisingly well this season (with a few notable exceptions like NE, but they were solid for the most part).

So, those of us who wanted Hughes were wrong- myself included.

This must be this week's sign that the apocolypse is upon us... OP said something positive. I had to read it twice just to make sure it wasn't satire.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

. . . And while watching a Bills' playoff game.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

i remember not liking the pick because i really thought that JP was going to excel this year. i thought he made some huge strides in 2006 and that with this being his contract year that he was going to nail the "audition" so to speak.

I also thought that the d was going to suck and the offense was going to win us games.

I also thought that Royal was going to be a lot more effective in his second year.

I thought McGee was going to be more of a liability than he was.

I thought that Lynch was going to have at least 3 long runs that would stun fans. I'm not complaining about lynch, just that he doesn't have too many game breaking plays yet. It'll come in time.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• streetkings01
                          • Jul 2006

Hughes wears #20, just look at his coverage skills in this vid. Look at exactly 37 seconds into it....

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
                          You can call me streetkings

Comment

• G. Host
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2002

Wys's sauce is so good on crow or any fowl you would think he spent the time making bad predictions just so he could perfect the sauce.

Comment

• G. Host
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2002

Oh on the CB Hughes a Colts fan at work whines more about that player than Op whines on this board. Every team does that draft players fans have never tried to plug into their fantasy football Madden games.

Comment

Working...
                              X