• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

This season is FAR from "lost"

Yes, we're out of the playoffs. But C'mon, who realistically thought we were a playoff team anyway this season?

These last two games still mean a ton to this franchise.

* For starters, a 9-7 showing may go a long way to show this team is definitely on the rise. Unlike the past few seasons, when it seemed we were going in the ****ter annually with letting "names" go and signing projects and cast-offs, it may be different this offseason. Better talent may now WANT to come Buffalo to be part of a rising team; and we may not have to grossly overpay to make it happen.

* EVery game Edwards gets more experience in is better for his future. We play two tough defenses coming up. It's good experience for the kid.

* It's an audition of sorts (I feel) for some players. Off the top of my head I think Josh Reed, Jabrari Greer, Brad Butler and John McCargo. For the record, when I say McCargo I mean is he good enough that we can leave DT alone, or do we need to make it a priority?

So there's still plenty to play for.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: This season is FAR from "lost"

15 players on injured reserve.

Let that sink in for a minute.

What might have been.....

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

once we're out of the playoffs, the season is lost. That's it- it's over.

And the injuries are just excuses anyway. Who do we have on IR that would make this team significantly better? All of the corners have been basically interchangeable. Price did nothing when he was healthy. The only guy who's out that would instantly improve this team is Poz.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Billzz
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        Yes, we're out of the playoffs. But C'mon, who realistically thought we were a playoff team anyway this season?

* For starters, a 9-7 showing may go a long way to show this team is definitely on the rise. Unlike the past few seasons, when it seemed we were going in the ****ter annually with letting "names" go and signing projects and cast-offs, it may be different this offseason. Better talent may now WANT to come Buffalo to be part of a rising team; and we may not have to grossly overpay to make it happen.

* EVery game Edwards gets more experience in is better for his future. We play two tough defenses coming up. It's good experience for the kid.

* It's an audition of sorts (I feel) for some players. Off the top of my head I think Josh Reed, Jabrari Greer, Brad Butler and John McCargo. For the record, when I say McCargo I mean is he good enough that we can leave DT alone, or do we need to make it a priority?

The team will also show that no quit attitude that we all know they have, but is nice to watch at the end of season when they are out of the playoffs. I personally will enjoy this last 2 games and take in a team on the rise for years to come. Edwards play, Lynch running and the defense picking off Manning for hopefully 10 times to make him cry. I hope we make the Giants look so bad they bench him during our game or Coughlin does his best tomato head impression.

As for Philly it may be the last time you see McNabb play in a Green uniform before he goes to Atlanta or some other NFC team. I also would like to see what we can do with Westbrook who is an outstanding all around player who runs screens with the best of em. Hope Lynch watches him play to pick up a few pointers.

Comment

• Billzz
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37

And the injuries are just excuses anyway. Who do we have on IR that would make this team significantly better? All of the corners have been basically interchangeable. Price did nothing when he was healthy. The only guy who's out that would instantly improve this team is Poz.
          That is one way of looking at it, depressing way but a way nonetheless.

I prefer to put on my rose color glasses and dream of what next year has in store.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

It's not over. This is now a very YOUNG team. Every game against quality opposition is experience that could pay off in the following years. As I stated earlier, this is also a chance to show potential Free AGents that this team is on the rise; and it's also an audition of sorts over the last few weeks for some guys that may or may not be replaced next year in the lineup.

I never cited injuries in this post. But for the record, you're also forgeting Ko Simpson, who is a big upgrade over Jim Leonard and a very atheltic but raw George Wilson. And though the injuries sucked for us this year, it will pay dividends down the line because guys like Wilson and DiGorgio will become solid role players/depth.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Billzz
              That is one way of looking at it, depressing way but a way nonetheless.

I prefer to put on my rose color glasses and dream of what next year has in store.
              well, as I've said I do see some reason for optimism for next season.

but for me, the definition of a "lost" season is when you're officially eliminated from the playoffs and the games are meaningless. We win and we get to say we won, but it doesn't get us anywhere.

I'll still be watching the last two games and I'll still be cheering for the team, but a win just doesn't have the same meaning once the playoffs are out of the question.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Experience for the youngins. That has meaning.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

It's not over. This is now a very YOUNG team. Every game against quality opposition is experience that could pay off in the following years. As I stated earlier, this is also a chance to show potential Free AGents that this team is on the rise; and it's also an audition of sorts over the last few weeks for some guys that may or may not be replaced next year in the lineup.
                  it IS over. Experience is nice but how can a game being played for experience be nearly as exciting or meaningful as a game being played with playoff implications?

as far as Simpson- you hit on it. Experience. Ko showed some promise but was out of position a LOT. He's not quite as raw as Wilson but he's still raw and while he'd make the team a little better, I don't think he'd make it that much better.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

well, as I've said I do see some reason for optimism for next season.

but for me, the definition of a "lost" season is when you're officially eliminated from the playoffs and the games are meaningless. We win and we get to say we won, but it doesn't get us anywhere.

I'll still be watching the last two games and I'll still be cheering for the team, but a win just doesn't have the same meaning once the playoffs are out of the question.
                    Next year, ANYTHING short of the playoffs would be a "lost season", I'm in total agreement on that.

This year, we were led LITERALLY by rookies (Edwards, Lynch, Poz before the injury) and a bunch of young guys that barely played before (DiGorgio, Wilson). Guys like Greer and Brad Butler showed that they can play in this league given a chance.

Another offseason with tons of cap room, and another useful draft and this team no longer has ANY excuses to not make the playoffs next year.

I agree that 2008 is playoffs or bust; but this despite falling short at Cleveland was a very telling season for this team. For the first time in several years, they have a lot to grow with and look forward to.

Comment

• John Doe
                      Florida Man
                      • Jul 2002

I have to agree.

Every Bills game has meaning to me, even if they are eliminated from the playoffs.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Next year, ANYTHING short of the playoffs would be a "lost season", I'm in total agreement on that.

This year, we were led LITERALLY by rookies (Edwards, Lynch, Poz before the injury) and a bunch of young guys that barely played before (DiGorgio, Wilson). Guys like Greer and Brad Butler showed that they can play in this league given a chance.

Another offseason with tons of cap room, and another useful draft and this team no longer has ANY excuses to not make the playoffs next year.

I agree that 2008 is playoffs or bust; but this despite falling short at Cleveland was a very telling season for this team. For the first time in several years, they have a lot to grow with and look forward to.
                        I really wished this team could have won ONE big game- that would have been great experience. Dallas, NE, Jacksonville, Cleveland- pick any one of them. The confidence they would get from beating a superior opponent with so much on the line would be huge.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

I really wished this team could have won ONE big game- that would have been great experience. Dallas, NE, Jacksonville, Cleveland- pick any one of them. The confidence they would get from beating a superior opponent with so much on the line would be huge.
                          Beating Washington was a BIG game, because it officially marked the end of the inconsistent JP Losman era; and the team can move forward with a quarterback front and center who's ridiculously more consistent.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Beating Washington was a BIG game, because it officially marked the end of the inconsistent JP Losman era; and the team can move forward with a quarterback front and center who's ridiculously more consistent.
                            it was big in the sense of the comeback and the last second drive and the emotion.

It wasn't big in the sense that the Skins are just as big of a cluster**** as we are, if not more so, plus they were dealing with the Taylor thing.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by shelby
                              15 players on injured reserve.

Let that sink in for a minute.

What might have been.....
                              One has to think that Ko Simpson would have helped a lot this year.

I would have liked to see Aaron Merz compete for the right guard spot or even center.

Derek Schouman was just starting to get acclimated when he went down.

Losing Poz was a big blow.

All the early games missed at defensive end...

A play here or there could have made a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X