PDA

View Full Version : I have a confession to make.

yordad
12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
I didn't vote for any of the Bills to go to the Probowl.

Why? Lets take a look.

What is in it for the player? $20,000 to $40,000 depending on if they win (I think). And, recognition. Right?

What is in it for the team? Nothing positive from what I see.

I'll start with the smaller reason, because it might not be valid. Would making the Probowl alert opposing teams to who our play makers are? Or would the game film speak for itself? Either way, would we want the opposition game planning for our strongest player? Or, would a no-name defense catch them off guard?

Moving on to the real reason. When a player makes the Probowl, they draw bigger contracts just by having it on their resume. If a player gets snubbed year after year, he will command a smaller contract then a guy that goes, but really doesn't deserve to. Just because it is on his resume it would be a huge bargaining chip for his agent because he is validated.

A prime example is Schobel and Crowell. Schobel received a huge extension after going to the Pro-bowl. Crowell could have made it, but didn't. He wont get anything. Look at Fletcher. Schobel makes more than Fletcher ever did.

And, it can effect free agency too. Maybe a guy wants to hit the market if he is a perennial probowler. And, a bidding war is more likely, due to the wide spread recognition.

Bottom line, I don't vote for them because I don't want them to want more money, and I don't want other teams to court them as hard. I like our no-name defense. It has 11 leaders.

Is that wrong?

BADTHINGSMAN
12-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I hate the ProBowl all together, Its a pointless game.. A skills competition would be a better idea..

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-19-2007, 09:19 PM
God, Yordad you are spending too much time thinking about this stuff. Do you have all your Christmas shopping done yet? better get to it and not worry so much about the completly useless popularity contest that the probowl has become.
:whistling

BADTHINGSMAN
12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I didn't vote for any of the Bills to go to the Probowl.

Why? Lets take a look.

What is in it for the player? $20,000 to $40,000 depending on if they win (I think). And, recognition. Right?

What is in it for the team? Nothing positive from what I see.

I'll start with the smaller reason, because it might not be valid. Would making the Probowl alert opposing teams to who our play makers are? Or would the game film speak for itself? Either way, would we want the opposition game planning for our strongest player? Or, would a no-name defense catch them off guard?

Moving on to the real reason. When a player makes the Probowl, they draw bigger contracts just by having it on their resume. If a player gets snubbed year after year, he will command a smaller contract then a guy that goes, but really doesn't deserve to. Just because it is on his resume it would be a huge bargaining chip for his agent because he is validated.

A prime example is Schobel and Crowell. Schobel received a huge extension after going to the Pro-bowl. Crowell could have made it, but didn't. He wont get anything. Look at Fletcher. Schobel makes more than Fletcher ever did.

And, it can effect free agency too. Maybe a guy wants to hit the market if he is a perennial probowler. And, a bidding war is more likely, due to the wide spread recognition.

Bottom line, I don't vote for them because I don't want them to want more money, and I don't want other teams to court them as hard. I like our no-name defense. It has 11 leaders.

Is that wrong?

The only reason any of them go is because its held in Hawaii, hold the PB in The States and see how many show up then..

Making it to the PB isnt the key thing, having the Stats to get there is, If a guy gets 15 sacks and gets snubbed, those 15 sacks will still come in handy at contract time..

yordad
12-19-2007, 10:09 PM
The only reason any of them go is because its held in Hawaii, hold the PB in The States and see how many show up then..

Making it to the PB isnt the key thing, having the Stats to get there is, If a guy gets 15 sacks and gets snubbed, those 15 sacks will still come in handy at contract time..That may be the case for some positions. The positions that are know for one statistic. Like DE and sacks. Or corner and Int. But, Fletcher has had more tackles than anyone over the last 7 seasons combined (or something like that). He has never made a pro bowl. And, never made $$ like Schobel. I honestly don't think Schobel would have got all that cash if wasn't validated (or if he got snubbed).

Wouldn't you think that if we had Crowell signed until the end of the '09 season, it would be wise to sign him now. I think he would command more money if he puts up the exacts same stats next year and goes to the the probowl. He is second in the league for OLB in tackling. Did you know that?

Same as Lee for that matter. I believe he is an elite WR. And, he will be with an adaquate offensive coach. Especially after we get some more offensive weapons. He has the talent to go to the Pro Bowl next year. And, Lee is signed until the end of '09. I think we can get him a lot cheaper if we extended him now, as opposed to after '08 if he makes the probowl.

I mean, of course we want to have probowl players. Because we want to be good. But, if we can be good with good players that got snubbed, I think it would be better economically.

jamze132
12-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I still think the NFL needs to get rid of its current all-star approach. I recommend we follow suit like every other pro sport and hold it in the middle of the season. Take away the current system used to get everone a bye and make it midway through the season where the game should be played. They can still have the skills comp and the game during Pro Bowl Weekend. And you can rotate the venue through all the cities. And something needs to be done about the current voting system. The players and coaches need more of a say on who makes it than the fans. I hate popularity contests.

yordad
01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I still think the NFL needs to get rid of its current all-star approach. I recommend we follow suit like every other pro sport and hold it in the middle of the season. Take away the current system used to get everone a bye and make it midway through the season where the game should be played. They can still have the skills comp and the game during Pro Bowl Weekend. And you can rotate the venue through all the cities. And something needs to be done about the current voting system. The players and coaches need more of a say on who makes it than the fans. I hate popularity contests.If you increase the players vote, it is still a popularity contest.

Mid season would be risky. Injuries would be devestating.

jamze132
01-04-2008, 02:22 AM
If you increase the players vote, it is still a popularity contest.

Mid season would be risky. Injuries would be devestating.
Every other sport does in mid season. Why would the NFLs be any different? Its not like everyone is going to be crossing the middle and going after bonecruching hits.

Meathead
01-04-2008, 02:29 AM
a. because every other sport has the ability to be played without contact

3. contact dramatically increases the chance for injury

xvi. mcfly

mybills
01-04-2008, 06:33 AM
What I like the most about the Pro Bowl is that it helps to curb them from doing drugs if they want to go bad enough.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-04-2008, 07:19 AM
I have a confession to make, I don't think it really matters if a player makes the pro bowl as to what contract he gets from a team.

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Dont worry Yordad I have never voted for the gay probowl

yordad
01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Every other sport does in mid season. Why would the NFLs be any different? Its not like everyone is going to be crossing the middle and going after bonecruching hits.Every other sport isn't as physical.

Edit:

xvi. mcflyYeah that.

Philagape
01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
There's nothing to confess. No foul on the play.

jamze132
01-05-2008, 04:53 PM

xvi. mcfly
And 100mph fastballs flying within inches of someones head...
And 100mph pucks hitting people in the legs, hands, heads...
And big dudes running up and down a hardwood court jumping up to a level of 10ft trying ti impress everyone...

The bottom line is that every sport has their chances for injury. I agree that in football there is probably a better chance of an injury, but like I said, its not like payers are going to go out there and lay it on the line. They will know they still have 8 games to in the season...

yordad
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I have a confession to make, I don't think it really matters if a player makes the pro bowl as to what contract he gets from a team.
So, in light of recent Jason Peters rumors, has anyone changed there minds?

X-Era
05-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Youhave a confession to make?

Does this involve that guinea pig and the 3 inch diameter PVC pipe again?

J/K

I really think this year we will have a few of our youngsters become stars. Just a hunch.