PDA

View Full Version : What free agents would you like to see marv sign in 2008?

njsue
12-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Marv has to up grade the bills secondary. The one safety I would love to see in a bills uni is Ed Reed.
Not sure who is out there up for free agency.

Your thoughts!

BADTHINGSMAN
12-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Bryant Johnson WR
Ruben Brown OL
Lance Briggs LB (wont happen)*
Boss Bailey LB
Asante Samuel CB (wont happen either)*
Marcus Trufant CB

yordad
12-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Maybe Eric Johnson the TE. I think he could be reasonable. Or, maybe Berrian.

There are several unlikely ones I would really like to have.

Briggs or Haynesworth would be awesome. Even A. Samuel or Jared Allen.

Moss would be imposible, can I dream in this thread?

BADTHINGSMAN
12-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Maybe Eric Johnson the TE. I think he could be reasonable. Or, maybe Berrian.

There are several unlikely ones I would really like to have.

Briggs or Haynesworth would be awesome. Even A. Samuel or Jared Allen.

Moss would be imposible, can I dream in this thread?

Berrian is a speed guy like Evans, need a tall WR (Bryant 6'3) for the redzone and goal line.. I think the Pats keep Moss..

yordad
12-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Berrian is a speed guy like Evans, need a tall WR (Bryant 6'3) for the redzone and goal line.. I think the Pats keep Moss..Bryant is a possiblility too. I know he is behind two good players. But, he is only two inches taller and he has half the production.

O, and yeah, Moss will be resigned by the Pats. And, either way, he wouldn't come here.

yordad
12-19-2007, 11:41 PM
E. Reed isn't a Free Agent, and I wouldn't want to spend moves on him when we have Whitner.

I thought to might like this

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDB.html

njsue
12-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Berrian is a speed guy like Evans, need a tall WR (Bryant 6'3) for the redzone and goal line.. I think the Pats keep Moss..

Randy Moss is selfish and a cancer to a team.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Randy Moss is selfish and a cancer to a team.

Didnt say I would want him.. Cant see him with any other team besides the Pats..

njsue
12-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Didnt say I would want him.. Cant see him with any other team besides the Pats..

Do you remember when Randy Moss walked off the field when he was a Viking during a playoff game versus the Redskins cause they weren't winning.

Pats like cancerous players!

njsue
12-19-2007, 11:58 PM
E. Reed isn't a Free Agent, and I wouldn't want to spend moves on him when we have Whitner.

Wish Ed Reed was a free agent he is a great safety!

Crisis
12-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Do you remember when Randy Moss walked off the field when he was a Viking during a playoff game versus the Redskins cause they weren't winning.

Pats like cancerous players!
This post was ok until I got to the last sentence.

Yeah I mean look at all the boneheaded moves the Pats make that keep them from going 14-0 and winning 3 superbowls right?

Coaching and a winning enviornment fixes any "cancerous" players.

That said I don't think Moss would ever be here, and if he was he wouldn't give 100%, we'd probably see the Oakland Moss again.

Devin
12-20-2007, 12:17 AM

Ed Reed is a Free Safety. Whitner is a Strong Safety.

Crisis
12-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Ed Reed is a pipe dream.

Love him but it will never happen.

Devin
12-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Corey Williams, DT
Bryant Johnson, WR

Are the two biggest. Perhaps a few vet/depth guys but id be happy with those two signings along witha productive draft. A guy like Johnson at TE wouldnt be bad except hes always had health issues.

jamze132
12-20-2007, 03:58 AM
Bryant is a possiblility too. I know he is behind two good players. But, he is only two inches taller and he has half the production.

O, and yeah, Moss will be resigned by the Pats. And, either way, he wouldn't come here.
After all the TDs Tom has thrown to him, he will retire a Pat.

jamze132
12-20-2007, 04:00 AM
If we came out of FA with a very good pass catching TE and a legitimate #2 receiver, I would consider it a success.

LtFinFan66
12-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Randy Moss is selfish and a cancer to a team.Yeah, the Pats are reeling in his presence

mysticsoto
12-20-2007, 06:31 AM
I don't think we need a safety. I was happy with Ko Simpson's play and his development when he got hurt. I was also happy with George Wilson's play as he too was starting to get into the flow and playing better. Next year we will have both of them back. Ed Reed would be costly and I rather spend that money on someone like Haynesworth for our Dline. I think there are plently of TEs that we could bring in, and decent WRs out there that we could also bring in. I think we will likely need to throw alot at Haynesworth to bring him here...and that we SHOULD!!! Then get a decent #2 WR and a decent TE (there are a few out there - should be very doable) and then draft BPA vs need!!!

Dr. Lecter
12-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Safety is just about last on the list of needs.

My dream pick-up is Dallas Clark.

colin
12-20-2007, 07:37 AM
briggs.

i know everyone is saying it won't happen, but the jaraun connection is there and he'd be a massive boost to our D.

there are a ton of DL in FA, i'd like to see us nab one if we don't get a day one guy in the draft.

i'd also like to see us trade the 3rd rounder i expect to get for JP (or willis failing that) to cinci for chad johnson. and/or clarck or lj shelton in FA. no matter what, we need to get the best FA recieving threat available.

bigbub2352
12-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Carlos Dansby- LB
Dallas Clark or LJ Smith TE
Albert Hansworth DT
i am not asking for much lol

njsue
12-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Carlos Dansby- LB
Dallas Clark or LJ Smith TE
Albert Hansworth DT
i am not asking for much lol

There is a ? with Albert Hansworth character!

Love Dallas Clark he is a big time play maker.

Ed
12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
DT Corey Williams
LB Lance Briggs
WR Bryant Johnson
OG Faneca, Scott, Lilja, or Womak

trapezeus
12-20-2007, 09:46 AM
the bills secondary is fine in my opinion. maybe one CB is needed...but overall, they held their own with a very light pass rush. rarely did you ever see QB's throw under duress. What we need is more LB's who can make plays. LB's who can blitz and cover the field. The secondary will look better as a result.

So if you focus on two good LB's and another DT for the rotation with Pass rushing abilities, i think you see the D get into the top 10 very quickly.

Ed
12-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Haynesworth is a great player, but I just can't see the Bills going after him. He's too much of a thug. I know some people give Marv a hard time about only wanting guys with high character, but I'm liking that approach. Especially after this season. I really like the chemistry on our team, the way they play and just the overall attitude. I don't really care to bring in anyone that could screw that up.

codabills
12-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Don't be suprised if we go after a RFA.

mysticsoto
12-20-2007, 10:15 AM

Like???

bflojohn
12-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh, say, Colin Cole, DT, Green Bay Packers! He is a restricted free agent. He would be a nice addition.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Oh, say, Colin Cole, DT, Green Bay Packers! He is a restricted free agent. He would be a nice addition.
He hasn't really done much since entering the league.... Corey Williams would be a better investment.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I know it makes the offseason boring but I dont want to go after anyone at all... we can cover our needs in the draft and avoid paying out crazy contracts to FAs. That way we can sign our own guys easily when the time comes and keep a good team together for 10 years.

Round#1: WR
Round#2: TE
Round#3a: C
Round#3b: DT
Round#4: G

Mr. Pink
12-20-2007, 01:31 PM
WR - Justin Gage
LB - Boss Bailey
QB - Josh McCown
TE - Eric Johnson
OG - Ruben Brown - call it sentimental plus he's better than Preston
DT - Corey Williams
CB - Drayton Florence

Just some guys I could see the front office realistically pursue that would help us out.

Mr. Pink
12-20-2007, 01:32 PM

Dominique Foxworth wouldn't be a bad choice as an RFA target, depending on how the Broncos tender him. He's their nickle back.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 01:32 PM
WR - Justin Gage
LB - Boss Bailey
QB - Josh McCown
TE - Eric Johnson
OG - Ruben Brown - call it sentimental plus he's better than Preston
DT - Corey Williams
CB - Drayton Florence

Just some guys I could see the front office realistically pursue that would help us out.
Eric Johnson is slow as Molasses,,, no thanks.

mysticsoto
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
I know it makes the offseason boring but I dont want to go after anyone at all... we can cover our needs in the draft and avoid paying out crazy contracts to FAs. That way we can sign our own guys easily when the time comes and keep a good team together for 10 years.

I think it is completely unrealistic for us to expect improvement without using FA. We have holes at #2 WR, TE, C and DT. DE also, but I highly doubt we are going to spend more than what we already have there. We should expect to fill 2-3 holes in the offseason allowing us to tailor the draft more toward best player available rather than draft for need position. With a shrewd GM, we can do all 4, but Levy can likely be expected to do 2-3...

Kerr
12-20-2007, 01:47 PM
A cheap plan that ralph wilson would like-

DT Corey Williams
LB Boss Bailey (great in coverage)
TE Ben Trupe (Dump royal, keep gaines, draft rucker)

Trade JP Losman to Bears for WR Mark Bradley(6-2, fast and loaded w/ talent)

Slim
12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Nobody mention T. Suggs?

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I think it is completely unrealistic for us to expect improvement without using FA. We have holes at #2 WR, TE, C and DT. DE also, but I highly doubt we are going to spend more than what we already have there. We should expect to fill 2-3 holes in the offseason allowing us to tailor the draft more toward best player available rather than draft for need position. With a shrewd GM, we can do all 4, but Levy can likely be expected to do 2-3...
You dont think adding Malcolm Kelly and Jacob Tamme in the first 2 rounds would be an upgrade over Reed and Royal? I find that FAs are just as risky as Draft picks only more expensive.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 02:10 PM
A cheap plan that ralph wilson would like-

DT Corey Williams
LB Boss Bailey (great in coverage)
TE Ben Trupe (Dump royal, keep gaines, draft rucker)

Trade JP Losman to Bears for WR Mark Bradley(6-2, fast and loaded w/ talent)
I bet Corey Williams gets 5-6 mil a season.

Kerr
12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I bet Corey Williams gets 5-6 mil a season.
He'd be worth it. This team hasn't had a force in the middle since Big Ted and Pat.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 02:18 PM
He'd be worth it. This team hasn't had a force in the middle since Big Ted and Pat.
Corey Williams is nothing like Ted and Pat. This guy is more like Sapp. Decent against the run, very good pass rusher though.

Kerr
12-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Corey Williams is nothing like Ted and Pat. This guy is more like Sapp. Decent against the run, very good pass rusher though.

I know I wasn't comparing him to those guys. All I said is he's probably the best DT available after haynesworth. This team doesn't usually go for the top guy in FA.
Williams is actually pretty balanced as a player.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 02:25 PM
I know I wasn't comparing him to those guys. All I said is he's probably the best DT available after haynesworth. This team doesn't usually go for the top guy in FA.
Williams is actually pretty balanced as a player.
I agree.... just dont see it happening with Tripps, McCargo and K.Williams. I would be all for replacing Tripps with Corey but that aint happening either.

Kerr
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree.... just dont see it happening with Tripps, McCargo and K.Williams. I would be all for replacing Tripps with Corey but that aint happening either.

I actually think Tripps is better coming off the bench even though they're in a rotation. Corey Williams and McCargo could start with Williams and Tripps behind them. If this team does not make an upgrade at this position they are going to struggle again next season. I don't think Tripps, McCargo and Williams are enough.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I actually think Tripps is better coming off the bench even though they're in a rotation. Corey Williams and McCargo could start with Williams and Tripps behind them. If this team does not make an upgrade at this position they are going to struggle again next season. I don't think Tripps, McCargo and Williams are enough.
I agree with that.... Tripps would be much better coming off the bench... I just get this feeling that the coaches have committed to Larry as a starter. Having Corey would definitely help out our DL though.

OpIv37
12-20-2007, 02:35 PM

I say throw big bucks at Dallas Clarke and handle everything else through the draft.

Mahdi
12-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I say throw big bucks at Dallas Clarke and handle everything else through the draft.
I really like Dallas Clark but he's not very big or tall. He seems very well suited for Indi's offense but I would rather have a bigger target.

PECKERWOOD
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Haynesworth and the offseason has been a success in my opinion.

OpIv37
12-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I really like Dallas Clark but he's not very big or tall. He seems very well suited for Indi's offense but I would rather have a bigger target.

he's 6'3- 252. That's about average for a TE_ it's only an inch shorter than Royal.

njsue
12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Nobody mention T. Suggs?

Oh Yeah Terrill Suggs big time defensive player. He and other members of the RAvens d who are able to jump ship will.

IN MARV LEVY I DO TRUST!

PECKERWOOD
12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow Suggs is a free agent? There is alot of bigtime players available this offseason.

mysticsoto
12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
You dont think adding Malcolm Kelly and Jacob Tamme in the first 2 rounds would be an upgrade over Reed and Royal? I find that FAs are just as risky as Draft picks only more expensive.

Yes, that would be an upgrade but so would getting Bernard Berrian, Dallas Clark and maybe a tall prospect like Limas Sweed or another in the 2nd rd...leaving our 1st rd for BPA...

One of the problems with relying on just the draft is...what happens if Kelly is gone by our pick? Now we have to resort to a reach to pick the next tall receiver or abandon our tall receiver wish and grab another WR. If we address through FA as much as possible (mind you, without overpaying), we allow ourselves to become more flexible in the draft.

njsue
12-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Wow Suggs is a free agent? There is alot of bigtime players available this offseason.

RAy lewis and Co. are jumping ship in 2008.

IN MARV LEVY I DO TRUST!

Kerr
12-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Another worthy signing- DE Darion Scott.

He'd provide depth or give Kelsay a run for his money.

njsue
12-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Terrill Suggs could be Brady's worst nightmare in 2008. :snicker:

tampabay25690
12-21-2007, 04:18 AM
Ed Reed is a Free Safety. Whitner is a Strong Safety.

Still with KO SImpson coming back we will be fine. REED is very expensive and I would rather see a DT, or OLB

X-Era
12-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Marv has to up grade the bills secondary. The one safety I would love to see in a bills uni is Ed Reed.
Not sure who is out there up for free agency.

Your thoughts!

Based on my list of top needs:

#2 WR with #1 potential is Evans isnt resigned
OLB
DT
G
TE

ID like to see us get

Terrell Suggs or Lance Briggs
Floyd Womack

Draft:

Martellus Bennett
Malcolm Kelly
Andre Fluellen

Mahdi
12-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Yes, that would be an upgrade but so would getting Bernard Berrian, Dallas Clark and maybe a tall prospect like Limas Sweed or another in the 2nd rd...leaving our 1st rd for BPA...

One of the problems with relying on just the draft is...what happens if Kelly is gone by our pick? Now we have to resort to a reach to pick the next tall receiver or abandon our tall receiver wish and grab another WR. If we address through FA as much as possible (mind you, without overpaying), we allow ourselves to become more flexible in the draft.
It does allow you to be more flexible with your draft of course but it takes away flexibility when it comes to extending and re-signing your own guys. Even if Malcolm Kelly is gone there are several big WRs coming out this year that are worthy of a first round pick. Bowman, Hardy, Sweed. I doubt all would be gone before the Bills pick. Besides Marv and Ralph have already said that they are going to be very selective in FA. I see one big signing for the Bills this year and maybe 1 or 2 role players.

mysticsoto
12-21-2007, 07:40 AM
It does allow you to be more flexible with your draft of course but it takes away flexibility when it comes to extending and re-signing your own guys. Even if Malcolm Kelly is gone there are several big WRs coming out this year that are worthy of a first round pick. Bowman, Hardy, Sweed. I doubt all would be gone before the Bills pick. Besides Marv and Ralph have already said that they are going to be very selective in FA. I see one big signing for the Bills this year and maybe 1 or 2 role players.

Yes, but depending where we end up in the draft (currently we're in the middle), many of those would be a reach at that point...it's not only about picking a tall WR which is a need for us - but also about balancing out need vs value.

Mahdi
12-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Yes, but depending where we end up in the draft (currently we're in the middle), many of those would be a reach at that point...it's not only about picking a tall WR which is a need for us - but also about balancing out need vs value.
I think its very difficult to mark certain players a reach.... Whitner and McCargo were considered reaches, Mike Williams was considered a lock. I think you just have to evaluate talent, production and football smarts and go from there. If they feel that any of those receivers have those things they wont hesitate to reach for them despite what Kiper says.

Now that Peters has made the ProBowl its only a matter of time before he takes a longer look at Dockery's contract. We need to avoid FA because we have some major extensions coming up... Peters will cost about 8 mil a season, Evans about 6.