• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

do you let go royal next year?

do we keep gaines and let go royal?

Seems like gaines is much cheaper and makes the same key drops and has decent coverage. but if the bills do try and get a TE in the draft, is Royal an expense that the bills can do without?
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: do you let go royal next year?

I think we can do without Royal, but if we cut him I hope it's because we draft a TE or sign someone in FA.

I'm really hoping we throw piles of cash at Dallas Clarke, but I doubt we'll ever have a realistic shot at him.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
      do we keep gaines and let go royal?

Seems like gaines is much cheaper and makes the same key drops and has decent coverage. but if the bills do try and get a TE in the draft, is Royal an expense that the bills can do without?
      I think Royal would be a good complimetary TE to a good, fast, receiving TE. He can make plays in the passing game but he cant be relied on as a primary target. However with the attention a receiving TE would get lining up Royal on the other side of the formation would make for a good secondary receiving option that wont get much coverage. It would also allow us to run to Royal's side more freely since defenses will have to respect the receiving TE's side more, combined with Royal's good blocking it would be an advantage.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

am i crazy to think that gaines is just as productive and useful as Royal? i understand what you guys are saying about a 2nd TE to get open with a real TE taking a lot of the focus.

Comment

• Kerr
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Dump Royal. Sign Ben Troupe. More of an upgrade.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Kerr
            Dump Royal. Sign Ben Troupe. More of an upgrade.
            Sure Troupe would be an upgrade but there are better prospects coming out in the draft IMO.

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
              Sure Troupe would be an upgrade but there are better prospects coming out in the draft IMO.
              They can still draft a TE. They need 3 on the roster. Draft pick, Troupe and Gaines.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                am i crazy to think that gaines is just as productive and useful as Royal? i understand what you guys are saying about a 2nd TE to get open with a real TE taking a lot of the focus.
                I think Gaines is just as good as Royal- or pretty close- for cheaper. Cutting Royal won't be a huge loss, especially if we get Schouman back. But my point is that we need to upgrade the position one way or the other.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

They can still draft a TE. They need 3 on the roster. Draft pick, Troupe and Gaines.
                  Right but you only need 1 receiving TE and one blocking TE... why pay Troupe?

Comment

• Kerr
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Right but you only need 1 receiving TE and one blocking TE... why pay Troupe?
                    I think you need 2 good receiving TE's and at least a good blocker. If one of them goes down with an injury, then what?

Troupe hasn't established himself as elite yet, but he's good solid hands and can run after the catch. Gaines is a better blocker than receiver. A draft pick is insurance for Troupe while they develop.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

I think you need 2 good receiving TE's and at least a good blocker. If one of them goes down with an injury, then what?

Troupe hasn't established himself as elite yet, but he's good solid hands and can run after the catch. Gaines is a better blocker than receiver. A draft pick is insurance for Troupe while they develop.
                      Yeah but in the cap era you cant double up on every position. Sure it would be great to have to receiving TEs but if you think about it how much playing time would Troupe get in that situation? Maybe in 3 TE sets which rarely occurs. Otherwise it would be the draft pick and Royal most of the time. You cant pay guys to play in 5 plays a game.

Comment

• Kerr
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Yeah but in the cap era you cant double up on every position. Sure it would be great to have to receiving TEs but if you think about it how much playing time would Troupe get in that situation? Maybe in 3 TE sets which rarely occurs. Otherwise it would be the draft pick and Royal most of the time. You cant pay guys to play in 5 plays a game.

Troupe would start with Gaines behind him and the draft pick. IFor exampke, Indy doesn't run a 3 TE set very often, but all their TE's get significant playing time.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Troupe would start with Gaines behind him and the draft pick. IFor exampke, Indy doesn't run a 3 TE set very often, but all their TE's get significant playing time.
                          Thats true but they drafted all those guys,,, they're not paying them much and im certain that once they're FA Indi wont re-sign them.

Comment

• njsue
                            Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                            • Sep 2003

Royal made too many stupid plays IMO for him to remain a Bill next season.

Comment

• Kerr
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Thats true but they drafted all those guys,,, they're not paying them much and im certain that once they're FA Indi wont re-sign them.

The bears have Greg Olson and Desmond Clark-2 receiving TE's. I don't think it really matters as long as you can upgrade the position w/o paying too much. The bills didn't sign the top guard and tackle in FA last season for their offense. They signed Dockery and Walker. They were middle of the pack, but they've repsonded. This is why I don't think the Bills will go after the top tier FA's this year either. They don't like to spend too much. You can probably forget about Dallas Clark and LJ Smith.

Comment

Working...
                              X