X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Ralph Wilson speaks

"I'm very, very impressed with Dick Jauron," Wilson said in a phone interview with the Associated Press late Wednesday. "And I've never seen a team with so many injuries -- we signed guys off the street who were playing the next weekend -- compete the way they have. It's amazing."
    not that dj was going anywhere anyway this offseason.

on JP and Edwards

The future might still include Losman, the fourth-year player who lost his starting job to rookie quarterback Trent Edwards this season. Losman has one year left on his contract, and there have been questions of whether the Bills will try to trade him this offseason now that they're moving forward with Edwards.

Not so fast, said Wilson, noting the number of starters who have been injured this season, including in Carolina, where the Panthers were forced to start aging veteran Vinny Testaverde. The Bills were even forced to go back to Losman, who secured three wins in five appearances midway through the season after Edwards sprained his throwing hand.

"A team needs two quarterbacks the way they're getting injured," Wilson said. "We'll have to think long and hard on that one."

If Losman returns, he'll remain the backup, because Wilson said Jauron is "very, very high" on Edwards, the third-round draft pick who has contributed to four victories in eight appearances this season.
    yes a team needs two QB's but if there is value for JP they should trade him. I think there will be...we will see.

on FA:

Wilson said the Bills will be "very selective" in free agency this offseason, extending a trend that began two years ago when Marv Levy took over as general manager
    probably similar to last year 1-2 good sized contracts (ie. dockery/walker) and then roster fillers.

on draft:

Wilson isn't a big believer in free agency, noting that most of this year's group of Pro Bowl selections were players developed by their respective teams. It's a group that includes Buffalo's lone Pro Bowl player, tackle Jason Peters, signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2004.

"You build a team from the draft," Wilson said. "It takes a little longer that way, but you have, for example, one team that has signed a lot of players but has never been a Super Bowl team."
    obviously refering to the redskins. but no different then the last two years with marv as gm.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Re: Ralph Wilson speaks

Get Haynesworth, 5yr/35 million dollar deal.

Man, I need to lay down the bong. Getting a player like Haynesworth would be a dream.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes
      yes a team needs two QB's but if there is value for JP they should trade him. I think there will be...we will see.

I agree. Plus , I doubt we keep a back up whose more expensive than the starter.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Wilson speaks?

Wow, so I guess there isn't any truth to the rumor that he actually died 3 years ago and Marv and Jauron have been animating him through a system of hidden ropes and pulleys a la Weekend at Bernie's.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Romes
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Wilson speaks?

Wow, so I guess there isn't any truth to the rumor that he actually died 3 years ago and Marv and Jauron have been animating him through a system of hidden ropes and pulleys a la Weekend at Bernie's.
          i mean it was a phone interview...as far as i know maybe the midget trainer can do a really good wilson impersonation and it was him at the end of the line.
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

as cheap as ralph is, you have to appreciate that he opened the checkbook in 2000-2003 as donahoe said, and he got nothing. now Levy is saying, "there are a couple guys we won't find in the drast, let's sign them, but the rest we can grow ourselves."

I can understand the methodology and i think it's working.

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
              Wilson speaks?

Mad Bomber should photo shop that image
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

I agree with Ralph concerning the draft. I think you build the core of your team on draft day, and use FA to get an experienced player or two to supplement those draft picks.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                  as cheap as ralph is, you have to appreciate that he opened the checkbook in 2000-2003 as donahoe said, and he got nothing. now Levy is saying, "there are a couple guys we won't find in the drast, let's sign them, but the rest we can grow ourselves."

I can understand the methodology and i think it's working.
                  I'll agree if one thing happens: assuming this team drafts well, in a year or two we should be ready to make a run. The young guys will be in their prime and we should be in good cap shape because of what's going on now. At that point, Ralph has to open the vault and bring in the missing pieces.

If the team builds exclusively through the draft, positions that are fine now will become problematic over time due to age/injury/FA, etc. So, we have to get as far as we can through the draft, pick the right moment, and make a 2-3 year run by bringing in FA's to fill the remaining holes.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mayotm
                    • Jul 2003

Wow Op! You almost sound optimistic about the team's future. I'm stunned, but also agree. I feel very good about the direction the team is heading. Better than I've felt in a long time.

Comment

• njsue
                      Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                      Get Haynesworth, 5yr/35 million dollar deal.

Man, I need to lay down the bong. Getting a player like Haynesworth would be a dream.
                      Haynesworth has character issues!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by njsue
                        Haynesworth has character issues!
                        I'd hardly call one incident character issues! Plus, we need a D-Lineman with some power and a meanstreak!

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                          • Oct 2002

Won't the Titans franchise Haynesworth?

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

Haynesworth isn't going anywhere, and he's had character issues ever since his college days.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

YOu can forget Haynesworth. The lock of this offseason is he's signing a long term deal or getting franchised.

For the Bills, if they get a REAL #2 WR and a REAL Tight end to surround Edwards, that can play and start from week ONE; whether it be the draft or free agency; anything else we do will be gravy to me.

The defense needs a little bit more, no doubt. But with Poz and Simpson back, it's good enough to keep us in most games. Far and away, the top priority is to get a few skilled "playmakers" on this offense.

To me personally, whether it be FA or the draft, I look at like this.

Absolute CRITICAL Needs:
                              #2 WR
                              TE

Boy, we could sure use some help here
                              OLB upgrade over Ellison (he becomes depth)
                              DT upgrade over K. Williams (he becomes depth)
                              C upgrade over Melvin Fowler (I think an upgrade would help the run game)

Lastly, I can live with these guys, but if we get a chance to improve, great.
                              CB- I'd like to have McGee or Grier start, not both; with the other being the nickel back.

I think we need a lot LESS than originally anticpated; because this team if done right this offseason will be FULL of good role players: Fred Jackson, Josh Reed, John McCargo, John DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison, George Wilson.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X