• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Had we known...

As great as Marshawn Lynch looks to become, had this team played Fred Jackson last year and known what they had in him; how do you think this team would look had it taken Patrick Willis in the first round; who even the FO admitted SF shopped that one pick before Buffalo where Willis went.

Despite the fact the 49ers suck, Willis is a total animal, as evidenced by him making the Pro Bowl as a ROOKIE. How would Willis/Poz/Crowell trio look?

Not trying to second guess Marv, just discussing how this team may look different if Willis was a Bill. For the record, I love Lynch.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • mayotm
    • Jul 2003

Re: Had we known...

Originally posted by patmoran2006
    As great as Marshawn Lynch looks to become, had this team played Fred Jackson last year and known what they had in him; how do you think this team would look had it taken Patrick Willis in the first round; who even the FO admitted SF shopped that one pick before Buffalo where Willis went.

Despite the fact the 49ers suck, Willis is a total animal, as evidenced by him making the Pro Bowl as a ROOKIE. How would Willis/Poz/Crowell trio look?

Not trying to second guess Marv, just discussing how this team may look different if Willis was a Bill. For the record, I love Lynch.
    The Bills claimed they weren't that interested in Willis. In fact, they claim they had Poz rated higher. Whether that's true or not could certainly be argued. Also, as good as Jackson has looked, I'm not sure he's a true #1 back. He's a great compliment to Marshawn. All that being stated, it's difficult to find anything the Bills did wrong with their first three picks last year. Three guys that may be the foundation of this team for years to come.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

As you stated we would have had to leap frog San Francisco or traded with them to get Willis. Therefore we probably wouldn't have been able to obtain Poz too. Hindsight being what is is the better plan would have been take Lynch and Edwards as we did, not traded up and taken David Harris to man the middle and taken WR James Jones with the 3rd we dealt to Detroit.

Comment

• streetkings01
        • Jul 2006

If we would've drafted Willis in the 1st rd, why would we trade up in the 2nd for Poz? Thats like the Lions drafting Calvin Johnson and then trading back into the 2nd rd and taking Sidney Rice!
        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

I was saying throughout draft season that productive running backs can come out of nowhere. Besides Jackson, some of the other RBs who've done well this year include Earnest Graham, Justin Fargas, Ryan Grant, Derrick Ward, Selvin Young, Aaron Stecker, Kolby Smith, Jesse Chatman, DeShawn Wynn. Dime a dozen.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

A team needs two good running backs. A-Train was not the long term answer and is far from great. I feel the Bills are set at RB for years to come.
            Now if we can get some WRs for Edwards to throw to the offense may really take off next year.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

SF drafted Willis before Buffalo picked....pointless thread.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• streetkings01
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Philagape
                I was saying throughout draft season that productive running backs can come out of nowhere. Besides Jackson, some of the other RBs who've done well this year include Earnest Graham, Justin Fargas, Ryan Grant, Derrick Ward, Selvin Young, Aaron Stecker, Kolby Smith, Jesse Chatman, DeShawn Wynn. Dime a dozen.
                Out of the top 10 RB in the NFL according to rushing yards for the 2007 season, 7 are 1st rd picks, 1 is a 2nd rd pick, 1 is a 3rd rd pick, and the other is an UFA! They seem to be a dime a dozen if you draft them on the 1st day!

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBills06
                  Out of the top 10 RB in the NFL according to rushing yards for the 2007 season, 7 are 1st rd picks, 1 is a 2nd rd pick, 1 is a 3rd rd pick, and the other is an UFA! They seem to be a dime a dozen if you draft them on the 1st day!
                  I bet that for most of them, you could plug in their backup and he'd get good numbers too. The leading rushers are the ones who stay healthy.

I wasn't talking about who the best are; I was talking about the quantity of backs that can be productive. RB is the position that depends the most on other positions, and therefore it has the greatest likelihood that a large pool of players can come in and do well. It's not that hard.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• streetkings01
                    • Jul 2006

I bet that for most of them, you could plug in their backup and he'd get good numbers too. The leading rushers are the ones who stay healthy.

I wasn't talking about who the best are; I was talking about the quantity of backs that can be productive. RB is the position that depends the most on other positions, and therefore it has the greatest likelihood that a large pool of players can come in and do well. It's not that hard.
                    Never said it was, but you cant just plug any RB in there and expect positive results...see A-Train.

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Never said it was, but you cant just plug any RB in there and expect positive results...see A-Train.
                      I didn't say ANY back. But for example, the Colts didn't miss a beat when Kenton Keith came in for Addai. Ladell Betts did better than Portis last year. And, of course, Fred Jackson for us.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• streetkings01
                        • Jul 2006

I didn't say ANY back. But for example, the Colts didn't miss a beat when Kenton Keith came in for Addai. Ladell Betts did better than Portis last year. And, of course, Fred Jackson for us.
                        Thats a bad example since Betts was a 2nd rd pick (56th overall) pick in the 2002 draft.

Comment

• Bone
                          Bone
                          • Oct 2006

Fred Jackson is not a #1 back at all.. SF picked before us.
                          BILLIEVE

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Thats a bad example since Betts was a 2nd rd pick (56th overall) pick in the 2002 draft.
                            Since the thread is about what we did with our first-round pick, so what? I didn't say just late-round picks.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

I am NOT cricitizing the Lynch choice (I love it).

I am just contemplating how our team might be DIFFERENT had we taken Patrick Willis instead one spot earlier.

For those who dont remember, and it was in Bills Digest; supposedly SF offered to switch spots with us (in the article it said Bills brass "chuckled" when SF took Willis). We would have given up the third rounder we used to trade up for Poz. Willis was also widely considered a strong consideration for Buffalo.

The thread is no indictment against Lynch, but an endorsement of Willis. I dont know the numbers offhand, but I can guarentee not many rookie LB's make the Pro Bowl, on a horrible team nonetheless.

I am in fantasy land right now with this thread. How about Buffalo drafted Willis, then stood pat in round 2 and let David Harris fall to us (he was there in the original Bills spot in round 2). how f'n SICK would Willis/Harris/Crowell be? That's like 85' Bears potential right there.

Again, I love Lynch and loved the pick. The POINT of the thread was to discuss if you think this team would be in different shape, better or worse, if we had Willis instead.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X