PDA

View Full Version : Tight Ends

patmoran2006
12-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Who are the best TE's coming out in this draft and where would they be currently projected.

I dont know of any right now (havent studied up my college yet)

The Jokeman
12-20-2007, 09:39 PM
From http//www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/te.html
1. John Carlson Notre Dame 6-6 259 4.70
2. Fred Davis USC 6-4 245 4.75
3. Martin Rucker Missouri 6-6 255 4.70
4. Dustin Keller Purdue 6-4 240 4.85
5. Jacob Tamme Kentucky 6-5 240 4.60
6. Craig Stevens California 6-5 258 4.75
7. Kellen Davis Michigan St. 6-6 253 4.85
8. Brad Cottam Tennessee 6-8 270 4.75
9. Gary Barnidge Louisville 6-6 230 4.75
10. Adam Bishop Nevada 6-4 245 4.75

From http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=19&yr=2008
TE 1 Fred Davis SR 6-4/245/- USC Toledo, OH
TE 2 Dustin Keller SR 6-4/240/- Purdue Lafayette, IN
TE 3 John Carlson SR 6-6/255/- Notre Dame Litchfield, MN
TE 4 Martin Rucker SR 6-6/255/- Missouri St Joseph, MO
TE 5 Jacob Tamme SR 6-5/240/- Kentucky Danville, KY
TE 6 Tom Santi SR 6-5/250/- Virginia Nashville, TN
TE 7 Brad Cottam SR 6-8/270/- Tennessee Cordova, TN
TE 8 Craig Stevens SR 6-5/258/- California Rolling Hills, CA
TE 9 Joe John Finley SR 6-6/261/- Oklahoma Arlington, TX
TE 10 Adam Bishop SR 6-4/245/- Nevada Rohnert Park, CA

and from http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/tight_ends.htm

1. John Carlson, 6' 5" 255, Notre Dame
2. Martellus Bennett, 6' 6" 252, Texas A&M*
3. Martin Rucker, 6' 4" 246, Missouri
4. Travis Beckum, 6' 5" 228, Wisconsin*
5. Chase Coffman, 6' 5" 233, Missouri*
6. Anthony Hill, 6' 5" 275, NC State (INJURED)
7. Dustin Keller, 6' 3" 242, Purdue
8. Fred Davis, 6' 4" 258, USC
9. Kory Sperry, 6' 5" 250, Colorado State
10. Jacob Tamme, 6' 4" 243, Kentucky

Finally from http://football.about.com/cs/positionalranking/a/nfldraftterank.htm

1. Fred Davis, USC
2. Martin Rucker, Missouri
3. Kellen Davis, Michigan State
4. Brad Cottam, Tennessee
5. Joey Haynos, Maryland
6. John Carlson, Notre Dame
7. Craig Stevens, California
8. Jacob Tamme, Kentucky
9. Mike Peterson, Northwest Missouri State
10. Dustin Keller, Purdue

None really carry Round 1 grades but that should change after the combine when someone will emerge. I think we could get a quality guy in Round 2.

TigerJ
12-20-2007, 11:05 PM
There are drafts when no tight ends go in round one. It would not surprise me if that happens in 2008. Cottam is pretty quick for his size, but there aren't any guys with really freakish (sub 4.5) speed who can run around like a WR at 250 lbs. At this point there's no one I'd pick in round one.

DraftBoy
12-21-2007, 07:02 AM
To be determined really we still need to see if Coffman and Bennett jump or not, till them we wont know, with Beckum staying in school that eliminates one good TE right there. The top TE in this draft though is Martin Rucker, though he wont be the first one off the board.

PECKERWOOD
12-21-2007, 10:57 AM
To be determined really we still need to see if Coffman and Bennett jump or not, till them we wont know, with Beckum staying in school that eliminates one good TE right there. The top TE in this draft though is Martin Rucker, though he wont be the first one off the board.

That's what I say as well, Rucker would be a great fit for us.

patmoran2006
12-22-2007, 08:49 AM
If Carlson is the best TE, then I hope our next TE comes via Free agency. I haven't watched nearly as much college ball in the past 1.5 years as I have in the past; but I am a huge NOtre Dame guy.

So I've seen plenty of Carlson; and he doesn't strike me as an impact TE in the NFL.

DraftBoy
12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
If Carlson is the best TE, then I hope our next TE comes via Free agency. I haven't watched nearly as much college ball in the past 1.5 years as I have in the past; but I am a huge NOtre Dame guy.

So I've seen plenty of Carlson; and he doesn't strike me as an impact TE in the NFL.

He's to prototypical NFL TE at this stage and I dont see him getting much better, Id like him to a smaller version of Jay Rimersma, consistent and solid but not spectacular. He will not stretch the field vertically or create huge mismatch issues, but he will get open and can catch nearly every ball. He has blocking issues and need s to really work on that aspect of his game. He had a down year due in part to Clausen being a Freshman and also because he had to stay in a lot of help protect. In no way is he the #1 TE he's a 3rd-4th Rd guy.

Night Train
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't care who we draft at TE but we need one with good hands. I don't wish to read about good measurables and potential, if he can't catch the ball. After watching Royal bobble or drop 2 out of 3 receptions, I want a sure hands guy. Edwards would thrive with a dependable TE.

Don't forget, we still have Schouman as a receiving TE/backup but we need a frontline guy with size. Royal & Gaines don't cut it.

X-Era
12-23-2007, 09:39 AM
He's to prototypical NFL TE at this stage and I dont see him getting much better, Id like him to a smaller version of Jay Rimersma, consistent and solid but not spectacular. He will not stretch the field vertically or create huge mismatch issues, but he will get open and can catch nearly every ball. He has blocking issues and need s to really work on that aspect of his game. He had a down year due in part to Clausen being a Freshman and also because he had to stay in a lot of help protect. In no way is he the #1 TE he's a 3rd-4th Rd guy.

My pick is Bennett at 6' 7" 240-250, and an unbelieveable athlete? DAMN!

DraftBoy
12-23-2007, 11:19 AM
My pick is Bennett at 6' 7" 240-250, and an unbelieveable athlete? DAMN!

Not declared as of now, and there isnt alot of reports thinking he will declare

We need to start putting our pipe dreams to rest and dealing with what is available. As of now Bennett, and Coffman are not options.

The Jokeman
12-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Rucker had a great senior season and his size makes him a definite stand out. Me I'd prefer a guy like Dustin Keller who's been a little more consistent and seems to have better speed. Of course so much is going to depend on our OC next year and what type of offense he favors and/or asks his TEs to do.

Bmax
12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Keller had a good bowl game against Central Mich. ...He also showed some of his down field ability against Ohio st earlier in the season.

Bmax

RedEyE
12-27-2007, 10:36 PM
This has to be one the biggest needs for Buffalo this year. There should be some decent WRs that might compliment Evans via FA. But nothing opens up the Bills downfield like a young gruff TE with decent hands.

Hard Nose Football
12-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Keller had a good bowl game against Central Mich. ...He also showed some of his down field ability against Ohio st earlier in the season.

Bmax
Keller would be perfect for us. He's a great receiver that takes more than one guy to bring him down, plus he has speed. Let's get him with one of our thirds.

Let the other schmoes block.

Night Train
12-28-2007, 04:10 PM

This kid just caught the first TD of the game vs. Boston College. Not only tall but his arms are a mile long. Looks like a basketball power forward.

We like.

DraftBoy
12-28-2007, 05:17 PM

This kid just caught the first TD of the game vs. Boston College. Not only tall but his arms are a mile long. Looks like a basketball power forward.

We like.

He's a very intriguing prospect, and I hope his 40 time improves to the 4.6-4.7 range at the combine.

Devin
12-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Martin Rucker baby. 6-6, 255 with 4.6-4.7 speed.

Ive had the chance to see a lot of him this season and really like this kid. One of the things I always look for in seniors is a steady improvement each year. Rucker has played better ever year in college. And considering his production while splitting time with Chase Coffman you cant help but be impressed.

Hes got great size (although id like to see him add a few more pounds) and ability. Certainly a pass catching threat. Rucker has phenomenal hands and catches basically everything thrown his way. His athleticism and size often causes matchup problems for safeties and LB's and hes a great route runner almost always creating seperation. Most reports ive seen almost all comment on his potential as a big, tall, sure-handed redzone target. Sound like something we might need?

He is very much the type of weapon we need to win some jump balls over the middle and in the redzone. We desperatley need to add talent but probably equally or moreso size at wr/te.

His weakness is blocking and ironically to some degree his size, certainly could be corrected with good coaching/training. He needs to add weight at the next level but its more technique then anything, and he has the frame to add the pounds without losing ability. He may never be an all-in-one TE and his strength is most certainly his receiving ability.

Id put Rucker above Zach Miller last year but below Vernon Davis/Olson. Not quite elite but certainly has elite potential.

When its all said and done I think he elevates his stock to the late second round.

DraftBoy
12-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Martin Rucker baby. 6-6, 255 with 4.6-4.7 speed.

Ive had the chance to see a lot of him this season and really like this kid. One of the things I always look for in seniors is a steady improvement each year. Rucker has played better ever year in college. And considering his production while splitting time with Chase Coffman you cant help but be impressed.

Hes got great size (although id like to see him add a few more pounds) and ability. Certainly a pass catching threat. Rucker has phenomenal hands and catches basically everything thrown his way. His athleticism and size often causes matchup problems for safeties and LB's and hes a great route runner almost always creating seperation. Most reports ive seen almost all comment on his potential as a big, tall, sure-handed redzone target. Sound like something we might need?

He is very much the type of weapon we need to win some jump balls over the middle and in the redzone. We desperatley need to add talent but probably equally or moreso size at wr/te.

His weakness is blocking and ironically to some degree his size, certainly could be corrected with good coaching/training. He needs to add weight at the next level but its more technique then anything, and he has the frame to add the pounds without losing ability. He may never be an all-in-one TE and his strength is most certainly his receiving ability.

Id put Rucker above Zach Miller last year but below Vernon Davis/Olson. Not quite elite but certainly has elite potential.

When its all said and done I think he elevates his stock to the late second round.

:jawdrop:

Choosing between man crushes now?

Devin
12-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I know I know. But hey even in that crappy offense Miller has had a solid year!

DraftBoy
12-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I know I know. But hey even in that crappy offense Miller has had a solid year!

36 rec for 360 and 3 TD, yea thats not too bad

when Russell gets in there his numbers should double

Btw compare him with our starting TE;

22 rec for 217 yards, and 3 TD's

Just Saying....

Devin
12-29-2007, 01:28 PM
You are preaching to the choir my friend, course I remember someone liking Miller a lot before last draft.

I cant give you crap for him though cause I think you liked him to, you just liked to torment me about it :snicker:

DraftBoy
12-29-2007, 02:34 PM
You are preaching to the choir my friend, course I remember someone liking Miller a lot before last draft.

I cant give you crap for him though cause I think you liked him to, you just liked to torment me about it :snicker:

Ohh I thought Miller would be a smart pick if he was available in the second and he is proving me correct. However the oppurtunity to give you a hard time was too much to pass up on, and if remember correctly you were among those that gave me hell about Siler.

Devin
12-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Indeed!

bflojohn
12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Kellen Davis even lined up at DE in the B.C. game!! Pretty good pressure on the play I saw! One heck of an athlete if you ask me! Davis, to me, passes the eyeball test in a second. Oh, by the way, Fred Davis out of U.S.C. is quite a player too. I think that it is a pretty sound year for TE. Nothing earth shattering, but you can get a solid, maybe even a star player out of these guys.

LifetimeBillsFan
12-30-2007, 05:11 AM
With their needs at other positions, I would be shocked if the Bills were to end up with Fred Davis from USC or Martin Rucker from Mizzou--both of whom have impressed me a great deal this season--but I would be delighted if they were to end up with either one of those two or Keller from Purdue.

It can take awhile for a rookie TE to adapt to the NFL--especially the blocking assignments--but I think that any one of those three could really help the Bills next season. Given the fact that the Bills tend to want their TEs to be good blockers first, I'm not sure how highly they would rate Rucker, who has excellent size and hands, or Keller, who has nice speed and hands, but Davis is a good blocker who looks NFL ready now, even if he isn't as tall or fast.

Mike13
12-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Fins could use a solid TE.

DraftBoy
12-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Alot will depend on combine speeds at this moment, Davis running a 4.8 will hurt his stock, but if he gets down into the 4.65-4.7 range he'll shoot up his stock.

TigerJ
01-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Here's a new and intriguing name in the TE draft picture. Cornelius Ingram from the University of Florida has reportedly decided to enter the draft as per the Great Blue North Draft Report:

http://www.gbnreport.com/

He's a little underweight at 235 lbs, but he's far and away faster than anyone else in this bunch having reportedly run a sub-4.5 40. Great Blue also reports that he has great versatility, capable of playing WR, TE, and H-back. This may turn out to be a guy I lobby for.

DraftBoy
01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
He used to be a WR at Florida, he could have great upside but I need to see him put on another 20-30 pounds of mostly muscle.

Bmax
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Evan Moore from Stanford is a guy to keep your eye on . He played WR at Stanford At 6-7 and 235 he will be a TE at the next level. Timed at 4.65 in the 40

He could be a player....Not all TE superstars are drafted in round 1 ... or even 2 for that matter...

Bmax

Romes
01-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Now that Bennet has declared, where does he project? Is he worth #11?

jdbillsfan
01-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Now that Bennet has declared, where does he project? Is he worth #11?

Good question. I haven't seen him play.... anyone?

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 01:34 PM
top 15 pick depending on combine and pro day, he needs some bulk but he has the most upside

jdbillsfan
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
top 15 pick depending on combine and pro day, he needs some bulk but he has the most upside

Cool. Thanks

Is he a freak of any sort? Compare to any pro players?

DraftBoy
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Cool. Thanks

Is he a freak of any sort? Compare to any pro players?

6'7, 256, 4.6 speed, mid 30's vertical

He may be the next Vernon Davis type

TigerJ
01-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Reportedly Ingrahm is going to stay in school, so he's off the radar screen for a year. Another one who has popped up is Jermichael Finley. He's another receiving tight end. He played at Texas but is coming out with 2 years of eligibility left. He is 6'5" and 240 lbs. Yet another former WR who has also played basketball. Do we see a trend here? Two multi round mocks now have Buffalo taking him in the third round, Walter's Football and Consensus Draft Services.

http://condraft.com/mocks/round-3.html

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008_3.php

Yasgur's Farm
01-16-2008, 06:20 AM
You guys are gonna make me change my siggy... Looks to me like Bennett would be a great choice at #11.

1- TE Martellus Bennett
2- WR Adarious Bowman
3a- DT Red Bryant
3b- CB Charles Godfrey
4- TE Dustin Keller
5a- DE Chris Harrington
5b- C Jamey Richard (UB boy)
6- ILB Ben Moffitt
7a- OG Shannon Tevage
7b- OT Breno Giacomini