• Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Show Him The Money

From Jerry Sullivan's Blog
    Show Him the Money?

It was a nice story, seeing Jason Peters selected to the Pro Bowl. But while Jim McNally was comparing Peters with Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz on Wednesday, an obvious question popped into my mind: Now that he's the team's only Pro Bowler, how long will Peters (and his agent) be content as the third-highest paid member of the Bills' offensive line?

Lest we forget, Aaron Schobel had an existing contract when the Bills extended him last summer and gave him a new deal that averaged out to $7.1 million a year over seven years. The Bills did not want to go into the season with their Pro Bowl defensive end making less money than Chris Kelsay, who had been given a new contract by the Bills to keep him from escaping in free agency.

Peters signed a five-year extension last year for $15 million. At that price, he's well behind left guard Derrick Dockery (7 years, $49 million) and right tackle Langston Walker (5 years, $25 million). The Bills have money to spend under the cap, so it won't be a surprise if Peters gets a new deal. But a further investment in an already expensive O line will create even greater pressure next season for the offense to produce at a level commensurate with the money being paid for the line.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Show Him The Money

Knew this was coming.

Pay him now. Great left tackles don't come around everyday, and this guy is a great left tackle. Lock him up THIS offseason.

I've taken a different stance with this team than years past; because I dont think they need that much in free agency. Usually I'm down to see us sign as many new guys as possible, but I really like the "core" of this team right now a lot, thanks to Lynch, Poz and of course Edwards.

Lock up Peters. Sign Dallas Clark big-time. Find a decent LB and maybe a 1-gap NT in free agency, and draft a WR in round one and the best talent after that.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
      • Oct 2002

I can see him getting close or more then Dockery, but I agree do something before he Holds Out!!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

He IS locked up...for 5 years. That's the cool thing. They will likely offer him a better contract to keep him happy, but it's not as if he can hold out if he doesn't like it. That's an awfully long time to hold out. The Bills front office made a nice move extending him before others realized how good he is. They have all the negotiating power.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
          • Oct 2002

Wasnt saying hold out for 5 years, but he could untill given a better contract.. He seems like a team player though so cant see it happening..

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LEFTY
            He seems like a team player though so cant see it happening..
            Exactly.

Comment

• realdealryan
              realdealrex
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Knew this was coming.

Pay him now. Great left tackles don't come around everyday, and this guy is a great left tackle. Lock him up THIS offseason.

I've taken a different stance with this team than years past; because I dont think they need that much in free agency. Usually I'm down to see us sign as many new guys as possible, but I really like the "core" of this team right now a lot, thanks to Lynch, Poz and of course Edwards.

Lock up Peters. Sign Dallas Clark big-time. Find a decent LB and maybe a 1-gap NT in free agency, and draft a WR in round one and the best talent after that.

I agree, and the FO had to know this was coming as well. Jason Peters was being talked about a LOT even at the end of last year. When they inked that Dockery deal, they knew the same or better would be coming for Peters.

Also, how do the Colts possibly let Clark go? He is a TE that plays on the line, in the slot, and out wide. He also made huge catches during last year's Super Bowl run, among others. I just don't see them pulling an Edgerrin with him.

Comment

• SyraBillsLican
                • Jun 2005

this is ridiculous. when you have a player locked up for 5 years for little money, LET HIM F'IN PLAY UNDER HIS CONTRACT!

whats with all of you wanting the Bills to spend money they clearly dont have or are saving for players THEY DONT ALREADY HAVE UNDER CONTRACT FOR FIVE-5-FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! YEARS!

i dont get you all.

you whine that we dont get FA's and then say that you want to pay more money to people we already own for 5 years.

yes, Peters is a great player. he will get his money at the end of this contact, hes still only in his 3rd year. how bout we pay him when we start getting some run blocking.

sheesh. some of these replies are just ridiculous
                Lets exorcise the Music City Curse! No playoffs since so-called "miracle." LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!!

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                  The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                  • Feb 2005

SCREW HIM! He signed a contract! You know what would happen IF I went to my boss and tried to hold out for more scoots after signing a contract....

Oh, wait... I'm self employed.....

Never mind..

PAY THE MAN! KEEP HIM HAPPY!
                  In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• realdealryan
                    realdealrex
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by SyraBillsLican
                    this is ridiculous. when you have a player locked up for 5 years for little money, LET HIM F'IN PLAY UNDER HIS CONTRACT!
                    It's not 1965, and Marv isn't Tex Schram. Ignoring Peters' contract until it's up isn't realistic in today's NFL, whether we like it or not.

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

I have a confession to make...

I didn't vote for any of the Bills to go to the Probowl. Why? Lets take a look. What is in it for the player? $20,000 to $40,000 depending on if they win (I think). And, recognition. Right? What is in it for the team? Nothing positive from what I see. I'll start with the smaller reason, because it might not be
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Peters has no leverage...I'm betting that is what got him in...the players vote knowing how cheap he is.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• njsue
                          Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by realdealryan
                          I agree, and the FO had to know this was coming as well. Jason Peters was being talked about a LOT even at the end of last year. When they inked that Dockery deal, they knew the same or better would be coming for Peters.

Also, how do the Colts possibly let Clark go? He is a TE that plays on the line, in the slot, and out wide. He also made huge catches during last year's Super Bowl run, among others. I just don't see them pulling an Edgerrin with him.
                          Minimal cap money for Indy. Dallas Clark maybe heading east on I 90 in 2008.

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Although we don't "have" to do anything with Peter's contract, its the right thing to do. You award people for doing great things and making the Pro Bowl as a starting LT from the Buffalo Bills is quite an accomplishment. I say re-work his contract and get a him a couple mil more per season.

It also shows every other player on the roster and any potential FAs that Buffalo will pay you if you perform like Peter's did.

Comment

• theanswer74
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              Peters has no leverage...I'm betting that is what got him in...the players vote knowing how cheap he is.
                              No leverage? Who in the world can take his spot? Peters has great leverage. The Bills can play hardball, but they may lose their QB in the process.

There QB and LT are the few positions you cant cover up if a player decides to holdout, unless you have a good player behind them .

Comment

Working...
                              X