PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Lynch turns it up

shelby
12-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Nearly everyone expected Marshawn Lynch to wear down. Over the past two weeks, however, the Buffalo Bills rookie running back has only become stronger.
Lynch had one of his more impressive performances as a pro two weeks ago against Miami when he rushed for 107 yards on 23 carries. He followed that with an 82-yard effort last week in Cleveland on a field packed with snow and ice.
Among rookies, he trails only Pro Bowler Adrian Peterson in yardage for the season with 940 yards on 240 carries and ranks first in the AFC. In 11 starts, Lynch is averaging 85.5 rushing yards a game, the NFL’s fifth-highest rookie average since 2000.
“I felt it was a good situation when I first got here,” Lynch said. “I’ve got some great coaches and some great leaders, guys that can help me out and kept me on the right track.”
Lynch has been steady all season, taking over from the disgruntled Willis McGahee almost from the time training camp began. Even though the Bills started the season 1-4, Lynch ran for 373 yards and three touchdowns. And since the bye week, his production has increased.
Lynch has become a more integral part of the offense, rushing for 567 yards and three touchdowns in six games. He missed three starts because of an ankle injury. He needs 60 yards to become only the fourth Bills rookie running back to reach 1,000 yards, joining Joe Cribbs, Greg Bell and Terry Miller. Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas, the franchise’s career rushing leader, rushed for 881 during his rookie year in 1988, while O.J. Simpson had 697 yards in 1969.
Lynch needs 245 yards to break the Bills’ single-season rushing mark for a rookie set by Cribbs in 1980.
“I asked him how many yards he needs to get 1,000,” Pro Bowl tackle Jason Peters said. “He told me, ‘I think like 60.’ So I told him we’re going to get him that this game.”

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/234666.html)

:punk: i hope he can do it....i love the BEAST!

Jan Reimers
12-22-2007, 07:33 AM
I think Lynch runs with more heart and desire than any running back I have ever seen. He may not be the fastest or the shiftiest, but I've never seen anyone try harder.

What a welcome change over Willis!

shelby
12-22-2007, 07:35 AM
He is tough....he never quits. i think he will be a solid part of our offense for years to come.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Missing some time with injury certainly helped him not wear down over the stretch run of the season. Being on the bench kept him fresh, so to say. So the effects of a longer season won't effect Lynch til next year. If at all.

He should get the 60 yards he needs in this upcoming game.

Catching Cribbs might be a stretch. Definitely a challenge with only 2 games left but here's hoping he and the offensive line can get it done!

patmoran2006
12-22-2007, 08:57 AM
One of the biggest (and most pleasant) surprises this season has been Fred Jackson.

I said NUMEROUS times around the middle of the season in threads that I thought Marshawn Lynch was getting too many carries and it was going to wear and tear on his body big-time over the course of a few seasons; kind of like I think has happened to Larry Johnson in Kansas City.

Now with Jackson having showed a lot; Lynch can get a bigger blow a few times per game. Not only will it bring a new dimension to the offense (with a real coordinator hopefully next year), but it will keep Lynch fresher; which I think will make him even better.

When a defense is tired late in the game; they don't want a RB who's fresh like Lynch pounding on them.

I hope next year they find ways to get him into space via the passing game more.