PDA

View Full Version : New York Times article on Jason Peters

Philagape
12-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Peters Is Making a Name for Himself

By MATT HIGGINS
Published: December 22, 2007

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — At 6 feet 4 inches and 340 pounds, Jason Peters would seem to be a hard guy not to notice, particularly for N.F.L. coaches. After all, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.94 seconds, blazing fast for a man his size.

But all 32 N.F.L. teams passed on Peters in the 2004 draft. Then 31 teams ignored him a second time as a free agent.

Peters’s peers know him now. Earlier this week Peters, a left tackle for the Buffalo Bills, was selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl. With the honor has come praise in proportion to Peters’s size.

“For the next two to three years, he could be as good a lineman as there is in the league,” the Bills’ offensive line coach, Jim McNally, said.

Gil Brandt, an analyst for NFL.com and the former vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys, said: “I would say this is the first year of many Pro Bowl appearances. I just think this is a player who’s only going to get better.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/22/sports/football/22bills.html

patmoran2006
12-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Not everyone knows this; but Jason Peters is a very "high quality" guy off the field.

He's very well spoken and polite. I've had a few opportunities to speak to him before. He's very impressive.

And of course, on the field he's emerged as one of the best tackles in football. There's only a handful of linemen in the league I'd rather have over him.

MikeInRoch
12-22-2007, 08:52 AM
For as much as people here rip on McNally, you have to give him some of the credit for Peters' development as well.

patmoran2006
12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
I think McNally has done a good job this year. The weakness of the Bills line is being able to run up the middle, and I think that's more because of a lack of talent there (Fowler, and Butler's still learning) than anything else.

I do think Butler has improved a lot since early in the year; and McNally deserves some credit for that too. Hasn't been three weeks since Edwards has been sacked?

Goobylal
12-22-2007, 09:06 AM
The center spot needs to be upgraded, but likely won't as there are other need areas. Butler's shoulder wasn't healed most of last season and off-season, and is probably just getting to 100%. With a full off-season healthy, he should be able to add the necessary strength he's lack, and that should help a lot.

As for Peters, what does McNally mean by "next 2-3 years?" He could be a Pro Bowler for the next 5 years.

Luisito23
12-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Great article thanks for posting it....I :heart: Peters!!!....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!