PDA

View Full Version : Gruden, Lynch to e-mail GIs

The_Philster
04-02-2003, 09:13 PM
TAMPA -- With hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops embroiled in the war in Iraq, Bucs safety John Lynch and coach Jon Gruden are eager to reach out to those on the front lines.

As part of a program called Jocks to GIs Direct, run by ESPN.com, Lynch and Gruden each will become online pen pals with at least one service person based in the war zone.

Lynch and Gruden are scheduled to e-mail the individuals once a week for at least the next eight weeks. Anyone can follow the exchanges through links on ESPN.com.

"This was certainly something that I got excited about," Lynch said Tuesday. "I've already been keeping in contact with some of the people I met here in Tampa and talked to them over there in Qatar. One thing I have realized, especially being here in Tampa where CentCom is based, is that we have a better view of how much these guys appreciate what we do as professional athletes. It's kind of a diversion for them when they are going through things like this....more (http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/02/Bucs/Gruden__Lynch_to_e_ma.shtml)