PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom Line

YardRat
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
The last two weeks have made it obvious...

Fairchild, though not as bad as some would like to believe, won't be missed next year.

The injuries have caught up to the team, and the disparity in talent between having starters on the field has shown in missed tackles, lack of plays being made, etc.

Both lines need to improve in the run game. The d-line gets pushed around too much, and the o-line isn't dominate enough to take over a game when the conditions dictate it's necessary.

Edwards needs to learn how to play into the wind.

We need receivers that can catch the ball. Pretty basic job requirement.

Hopefully we address WR, TE, and maybe C in the off season. I don't see any coaching changes except for Fairchild unless he takes some of our guys with them, but McNally and April should be on the hot seat in '08.

justasportsfan
12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Fairchild is the worst OC we've had since Marv quit.

HHURRICANE
12-23-2007, 03:26 PM

Fairchild, though not as bad as some would like to believe, won't be missed next year.

The injuries have caught up to the team, and the disparity in talent between having starters on the field has shown in missed tackles, lack of plays being made, etc.

Both lines need to improve in the run game. The d-line gets pushed around too much, and the o-line isn't dominate enough to take over a game when the conditions dictate it's necessary.

Hopefully we address WR, TE, and maybe C in the off season. I don't see any coaching changes except for Fairchild unless he takes some of our guys with them, but McNally and April should be on the hot seat in '08.

Great post.

Historian
12-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Fairchild is the wrose OC we've had since Marv quit.

Wanna feel even worse?

New York's Offensive coordinator is none other than Kevin Gilbride.

:puke:

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:15 PM
The play of our LB's and DB's was terrible.

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree with everything in your post YR.

If we can get a skilled tall WR, a smart OC, and get Trent established in throwing in wind, we'll be set for next year.

Yasgur's Farm
12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Wanna feel even worse?

:puke:LMAO... The last OC run outta town! Ironic that the Giants D... Our is it TE... Won the game. Not the O.

historypete
12-23-2007, 04:18 PM

I agree with everything, except the comment on Fairchild. The guy is a complete moron who runs the same sets, plays and packages every game. He doesn't even try to change things. His incompetance is a huge reason we are ranked 30th in offense.

justasportsfan
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Wanna feel even worse?

:puke:

wanna feel even worse, KG beat us by RUNNING :shocked: the ball :puke:

Captain gameboy
12-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I fully agree with the comment that this game really showed what happens when you dress street guys to fill in for NFL caliber injured defensive secondary players.

Regarding our departing OC, it is extremely distressing that we have to watch defensive backs creep up to within five yards of the LOS before running plays, as though they always know exactly what is going to happen.

If we're that [predictable, at least go with a quick snap count.

In our running game, we are almost always outnumbered at the point of attack, and that is a scheme thing.

I hope we are much less predictable next year, and I will not miss him.

YardRat
12-23-2007, 04:43 PM
I fully agree with the comment that this game really showed what happens when you dress street guys to fill in for NFL caliber injured defensive secondary players.

Regarding our departing OC, it is extremely distressing that we have to watch defensive backs creep up to within five yards of the LOS before running plays, as though they always know exactly what is going to happen.

If we're that [predictable, at least go with a quick snap count.

In our running game, we are almost always outnumbered at the point of attack, and that is a scheme thing.

I hope we are much less predictable next year, and I will not miss him.

There were times today where I counted nine guys in the box for the Giants.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Our rushing defense gave up 292 yards but Fairchild is at fault?

Out of curiousity, do some of you even watch the games?

YardRat
12-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Would you prefer Fewell go to Colorado and Fairchild stick around for next year?

Mr. Pink
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Would you prefer Fewell go to Colorado and Fairchild stick around for next year?

Honestly, I have no ire or ill will towards any of the coaching.

You can grant half of our roster extra years of NCAA eligibility and let them go to Colorado State.

historypete
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I watch the game and the whole time while watching the offense I was calling out the play because at this point I know what is going to happen. If I can do that, imagine what a defensive coordinator who spends 90 hours a week studying can pick up.

I'm not letting the defense off the hook. Giving up 300 yards on the ground is unaccepatble. But overall I think Fewell had done a much better job than Fairchild for the simple reason Fewell has had to deal with devestating injuries all year, whereas Fairchild has had a pretty constant lineup.

HHURRICANE
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM

I totally agree but the point that you are missing is that when I'm at home calling the plays before they happen so can the Giants defensive coordinator. I don't ever remember being able to do that with any other OC. Am I psychic??

Fairchild made him look like a genius today.

HHURRICANE
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I watch the game and the whole time while watching the offense I was calling out the play because at this point I know what is going to happen. If I can do that, imagine what a defensive coordinator who spends 90 hours a week studying can pick up.

I'm not letting the defense off the hook. Giving up 300 yards on the ground is unaccepatble. But overall I think Fewell had done a much better job than Fairchild for the simple reason Fewell has had to deal with devestating injuries all year, whereas Fairchild has had a pretty constant lineup.

Hilarious. I just wrote the same thing without reading your post. We are both psychic!!!!!!!!!! By the way you will be wealthy and live well beyond 100.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Question for everyone.

Seeing our team can't run this basic crap effectively or properly, what in the hell do you think they're gonna do with a more advanced offense?

When you finally realize the answer to that question, you will completely understand why we run one of the most basic offensive packages/sets in the NFL.

historypete
12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Hilarious. I just wrote the same thing without reading your post. We are both psychic!!!!!!!!!! By the way you will be wealthy and live well beyond 100.

I need that wealthy part to come through soon.

historypete
12-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Question for everyone.

Seeing our team can't run this basic crap effectively or properly, what in the hell do you think they're gonna do with a more advanced offense?

When you finally realize the answer to that question, you will completely understand why we run one of the most basic offensive packages/sets in the NFL.

They can't run the basic crap effectively because the defense already knows what we are going to run. We can execute the play all we want but when they put 9 in the box because they know we're running to the left it is going to get blown up.

justasportsfan
12-23-2007, 05:02 PM

his playcalling gave them the ball back to run down our throats. Both OC and Dc sucked balls today but Fairchild sucked all season long. Even worse, since he's been here.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2007, 05:04 PM
They can't run the basic crap effectively because the defense already knows what we are going to run. We can execute the play all we want but when they put 9 in the box because they know we're running to the left it is going to get blown up.

We can't execute because the line flat out can't runblock at all. Even on dives, smashes, offtackles. You think expanding the different rushes would change that? No chance.

And passing wise? That's even more laughable. One QB was an idiot and couldn't understand how to read defenses/blitz packages/etc and another who's a rookie. Rookies generally are given a limited playbook so there is less chance of screwing up.

Receivers give up on routes, QBs make wrong reads, weakside blitzers come through unscathed, receivers drop passes. Am I missing anything else that isn't executed properly?

There's a reason for why we lack things on offense and defense for that matter...A rather HUGE reason...we cannot control the LOS, on either side of the ball. Period.

HHURRICANE
12-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Question for everyone.

Marshawyn should have used his laser vision to melt the D that was stacked at the line.

Knowing the plays before they happen might be a slight disadvantage for our offense.

historypete
12-23-2007, 05:12 PM
We can't execute because the line flat out can't runblock at all. Even on dives, smashes, offtackles. You think expanding the different rushes would change that? No chance.

And passing wise? That's even more laughable. One QB was an idiot and couldn't understand how to read defenses/blitz packages/etc and another who's a rookie. Rookies generally are given a limited playbook so there is less chance of screwing up.

Receivers give up on routes, QBs make wrong reads, weakside blitzers come through unscathed, receivers drop passes. Am I missing anything else that isn't executed properly?

There's a reason for why we lack things on offense and defense for that matter...A rather HUGE reason...we cannot control the LOS, on either side of the ball. Period.

Fair enough, but I think the O-line has done well in pass blocking. The reason pass rushers come through unscathed are two fold. One, when we keep our TEs to block they are uncapable because they suck. Two, again the defense probably knows the play becuase I and HH are calling them out at home. Defensive coordinators pick out the tendencies of the offense and attack that tendency. It is very easy to find and attack ours.

Now there is no question this team needs a talent upgrade at WR and TE, and C. I think the rest of the line is okay. But what we need or needed is more creative game-plans that could create positive matchups for our few playmakers.

How do you do this??? One you spread the field. We rely on Royal and Gaines too much, and they don't provide any type of advantage to us. I'd rather have speed and quickness at WR to offset that slow, plodding style. Plus, by bringing in extra WR you force the D to make a decision: stay in the bast 4-3 or 3-4 or go Nickle. If they go Nickle that takes one LB off the field and I think that opens up our running game. If they stay base that allows us to attack them with the passing game.

Then to get the passing game going you run bunch formation with clearing routes. You run more slants and crossing routes. You put Evans in the slot. Did anyone notice on that bomb to Evans in the Miami game a couple of weeks ago Evans ran that play from the slot??? It was the first thing I noticed from my endzone seat that day. They haven't run that since.

Fairchild has no creativity. It is his job to take the talent he has and place them in a position to succeed. He fails to do that every week. He doesn't adapt, doesn't change. He runs the same formations with the same motion. It is annoying and frustrating to watch the same old crap.

Oaf
12-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah Gilbride with his 22 runs and 3 passes in the 2nd half. Seems like he learned his lesson through us at our expense.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I just don't understand people who say the team as a unit could properly execute a bigger playbook when they can't properly execute a limited playbook.

That's all.

historypete
12-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I just don't understand people who say the team as a unit could properly execute a bigger playbook when they can't properly execute a limited playbook.

That's all.

It doesn't have to a bigger playbook, it has to be a more creative and diverse playbook.

HHURRICANE
12-23-2007, 05:21 PM

That's all.

Tom Coughlin and Mr. LB, I'm moving my tight end in and having Reed shift to the left so I can run Lynch to the left. Please be ready to stop Marshawyn.

Where does execution come in?

YardRat
12-23-2007, 05:41 PM

That's all.

Every team in the league has a 'bigger' playbook, and their 'limited' playbook usually comprises the gameplan they've put together having studied the opposing defense and also their own offensive tendancies.

Better coordinators not only glean from their 'bigger' playbook specific sets of plays for their weekly gameplan based on their opponents weaknesses, but they also alter their own plays so they're running the same play (basically) out of different formations just to give the defense a different look.

In the glory days, Buffalo had one of the smallest 'bigger' playbooks in the league but the OC knew had to attack an opponent and disguise their formation so the defense couldn't key on what play was actually going to be run from any particular formation.

I've been soft on criticizing Fairchild too much because part of the equation is obviously a lack of developed talent at key positions (especially QB), but there really shouldn't be much of an argument against his lack of creativity.

Captain gameboy
12-23-2007, 06:38 PM

No he is not at fault for that.

What he is at fault for is what we are actually talking about, which is that it seemed that the Giants were in our huddle.

And we do watch the games.
That is the reason we commented on the number of times that we observed the Giants entire secondary creeping up to the LOS prior to the snap.

Tough to witness that without actually watching the game.

Tougher to make it work.

Sickening to watch it week after week.

The defense is an entirely different subject.