PDA

View Full Version : 2 things that bother me about Trent..

mybills
12-23-2007, 03:35 PM
and I hope it's just a rookie thing that he'll get past.

1. He tends to laser from 5-10 yds away, and it bounces off his intendeds chests or hands every time.
2. He throws too low, and it gets deflected. Then he realizes it, and over throws the next pass.

I've been watching for improvements on both of these in every game, but I've yet to see corrections. I gave it a pass against Miami, cuz they just suck, and against Cleveland, due to the crappy weather, but after today it's still happening. Big deal, it was raining for most of the game, and neither kinds of passes have anything to do with the weather anyway, so I won't accept any excuses for them. I just hope the coaches pick up on it and help him improve on both.

mybills
12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
re: 1, he eased ONE pass that was between 5-10 yards, and the receiver caught it.
I think he knows that he does it, but he gets too excited and forgets about it the next time. :(

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2007, 03:49 PM
How can he laser the passes, he has a weak arm, and his throws fluttered today?

Novacane
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with #1. I've also noticed he guns it when he does not need to on short passes.

I have not noticed a problem with tipped passes anymore than other QBs

mybills
12-23-2007, 03:52 PM
How can he laser the passes, he has a weak arm, and his throws fluttered today?
he does not have a weak arm. that's ******ed.

BillyT92679
12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
He does have an odd throwing motion, but QBs should throw hard from 5-10 yards. LBs are so fast that a lightly thrown ball would get picked easily.

I think his balls do get tipped more often than I'd like, and I think THAT is due to his "dart-like" throwing style. He admittedly doesn't get a lot of trajectory on a lot of passes.

mybills
12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I agree with #1. I've also noticed he guns it when he does not need to on short passes.

I have not noticed a problem with tipped passes anymore than other QBs
It was the biggest reason for the last minute interception against Dallas. He skims the defender's helmet way too often. :ill:

YardRat
12-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I agree with both points. He does need to work on his touch on shorter passes and even though he didn't have too many today I've noticed he usually gets a few batted down at the line every game.

Fortunately, he's shown he has the physical tools and the brain to improve any part of his game that is lacking at this point.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't care if the ball is fired out of a cannon. If it hits a WR in the hands, or chest, it has to be caught. It's your job as a WR to catch footballs, not whine about how hard they are thrown. As Sterling Sharpe about breaking every finger on both hands in his career because of having to catch Favre's passes every game.

mybills
12-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't care if the ball is fired out of a cannon. If it hits a WR in the hands, or chest, it has to be caught. It's your job as a WR to catch footballs, not whine about how hard they are thrown. As Sterling Sharpe about breaking every finger on both hands in his career because of having to catch Favre's passes every game.
Obviously you're not a strong believer in finesse.

SquishDaFish
12-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree MyBills

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 04:20 PM

I guess the receivers shouldn't learn how to catch pillows then. For crying out loud people, if it hits you in the hands, it should be caught. He isn't throwing it THAT hard.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Someone should have told number 1 to John Elway back in 84...He might have ended up being in the HOF.

Oops, nevermind, he did.

Next up let Favre get this memo too...maybe he'll be a better player later in his career too! Oops.

Number 1 is an outright ******ed point that just excuses receivers for dropping passes.

Number 2 though is definitely an issue, overcompensation. Through time hopefully that will be fixed.

Akhippo
12-23-2007, 04:42 PM
I hate to be a WR catching slant from Cutler. That dude burns the skin off your palms running slants. But they get caught.

I think he will get the finesse down with a full training camp. Its probably hard to work on the little areas of your game when you are busy trying to get in a game plan for the next week.
Let the game slow down a bit for him and i think he will be alot better.

His throwing motion is pretty good. He keeps the ball up by his ear to throw, just like your suppose to. JP has a funky motion also. So as long as it doesnt turn out to be like V Youngs bad accuracy throws im not to worried.

HHURRICANE
12-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not worried.

I saw him make some throws under pressure today that very few vets could make. Because of our wonderful run D we basically lost our wind advatage in the 3rd quarter and forced a rookie to play catch up into a 30 mph wind.The drops didn't help either.

As somebody pointed out earlier today the injuries look like they have finally caught up to our D.

I am just as confident with Trent now as I was a few weeks ago.

Akhippo
12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
As far as injuries, this is our team except for Poz and Simpson. Nobody on the line is hurt and those on IR arent exactly game breakers. We just flat out suck on D. Except curiously at the goal line.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2007, 07:56 PM
The best thing about message boards is idiotic threads like this. Three weeks ago, Edwards was being compared to Pennington/Holcomb because he had no arm. Now, when WRs are dropping balls left and right, it's Trent's fault because HE THROWS TO HARD!!! :rofl: This is laughable.

yordad
12-23-2007, 09:29 PM
The best thing about message boards is idiotic threads like this. Three weeks ago, Edwards was being compared to Pennington/Holcomb because he had no arm. Now, when WRs are dropping balls left and right, it's Trent's fault because HE THROWS TO HARD!!! :rofl: This is laughable.I think it is funny you find that so funny. It isn't rocket science. Some passes need zip. Some need touch. You can wrongfully zip the touch passes, and still not have enough zip for the zip passes. Get it?

I too see he sometimes throws the short passes too fast. One to Royal in the Miami game. This week to Gaines. I was shocked Gaines caught it.

I too have doubts about Trent's arm strength. Especially in the whirling winds.

Honestly, I haven't seen enough to make me believe Trent should even be the starter. He looks good, for a rookie. But, in my book, you don't start unless you are the best at your position. And by "best", I mean you give the Bills the best chance to win. Two weeks in a row now, I feel JP was that best chance. Actually, every week in a row now, but especially in high winds.

But, I will add, the receivers didn't seem to do Trent any favors today. Well, outside of Roscoe stretching out for the 40 yarder.

BillsFever21
12-24-2007, 03:50 AM
I'm not worried.

I saw him make some throws under pressure today that very few vets could make. Because of our wonderful run D we basically lost our wind advatage in the 3rd quarter and forced a rookie to play catch up into a 30 mph wind.The drops didn't help either.

As somebody pointed out earlier today the injuries look like they have finally caught up to our D.

I am just as confident with Trent now as I was a few weeks ago.

So it was the defenses fault for going 2-19, 29 yards and 3 INT's after the 1st quarter? Damn them guys.

Ebenezer
12-24-2007, 04:06 AM
So it was the defenses fault for going 2-19, 29 yards and 3 INT's after the 1st quarter? Damn them guys.
you missed his point.....

TE was terrible in the last 3 quarters but so was the rest of the team - especially the defense.

mybills
12-24-2007, 05:23 AM
I think it is funny you find that so funny. It isn't rocket science. Some passes need zip. Some need touch. You can wrongfully zip the touch passes, and still not have enough zip for the zip passes. Get it?

Exactly!

YardRat
12-24-2007, 06:13 AM
I don't know how anybody can label either point as invalid or '******ed'.

Yes, WR's get paid to catch the ball, but it's the QB's responsibility to deliver the pass in the best manner to allow it to be catchable and speed, trajectory, etc are important factors.

He'll get it, and probably quicker than many others have played in this league.

IMO both issues are indicative of the perception that the game hasn't slowed down enough for Trent yet, and he isn't used to the speed of the flow. He's zipping passes to avoid oncoming defenders, trying to get the ball to his receiver before the defender does. As he adjusts to the speed, the touch will come.

SquishDaFish
12-24-2007, 06:42 AM
But he is just a rookie. Hopefully he makes the corrections with experience.

I was prepared to come on here if he played the full game like that first corner and say he IS the Savior. But he couldnt put it together. Hopefully he will with the experience.

SquishDaFish
12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
We do not need the same situation that happened to JP happen to Edwards. Keep the coaches the best as possible and let the kid play and get experience.

mybills
12-24-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm sure it will, YR. He seems to have the quick learning down. Plus being a rookie the nerves must play a part in it, so that will go away after time as well. It sucks that there's only one more game, because like I said, I've been watching these things. I can't wait till next year.

shelby
12-24-2007, 06:49 AM
He looked outstanding in the first quarter. Then the wheels came off.
But this is his first season and he needs experience playing in bad weather.
i'm sure the staff will focus on the areas he needs to improve.
He's not the uberQB that some had hoped for, but give him time to develop before throwing him under the bus.

mybills
12-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Who's throwing him under the bus?

The King
12-24-2007, 07:03 AM
I think a large part of the problem yesterday was that the GIANTS did their homework. They knew Jackson couldnt contain their LB's and forced a ton of pressure the pocket collapsed on Trent the entire second half. Less time to throw causes less time to think, he was just trying to unload the ball before eating turf. While I think he looked terrible, 2INTS off your WR's hands will flat out kill your team.

Although Ill bring up a high point as well, that dump off to lynch before he got sacked in the first was amazing.

Jan Reimers
12-24-2007, 07:08 AM
A big, rangy 2nd WR and an athletic, pass catching TE will make him a much better QB.

Wys Guy
12-24-2007, 08:45 AM
and I hope it's just a rookie thing that he'll get past.

1. He tends to laser from 5-10 yds away, and it bounces off his intendeds chests or hands every time.
2. He throws too low, and it gets deflected. Then he realizes it, and over throws the next pass.

I've been watching for improvements on both of these in every game, but I've yet to see corrections. I gave it a pass against Miami, cuz they just suck, and against Cleveland, due to the crappy weather, but after today it's still happening. Big deal, it was raining for most of the game, and neither kinds of passes have anything to do with the weather anyway, so I won't accept any excuses for them. I just hope the coaches pick up on it and help him improve on both.

I'm waiting for him to throw some TDs. He's got 7 in 8 starts with 4 of those having been against Miami, 3 in 7 starts otherwise with two of those having been yesterday.

Another season of this and he'll be third string here. A remote degree of consistency would be refreshing.

YardRat
12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm waiting for him to throw some TDs. He's got 7 in 8 starts with 4 of those having been against Miami, 3 in 7 starts otherwise with two of those having been yesterday.

Another season of this and he'll be third string here. A remote degree of consistency would be refreshing.

Consistency comes with experience. Of course, obviously there are those that consistency at a productive level is harder to achieve and some never get it.

BillsFever21
12-24-2007, 09:49 PM
A big, rangy 2nd WR and an athletic, pass catching TE will make him a much better QB.

Wouldn't it make any QB better? I guess if you have great weapons at every position just about anybody can succeed.

Typ0
12-24-2007, 10:09 PM
we need receivers that can catch. Evans doesn't even play like a #1 receiver. He's got to make plays and catch more balls that he's dropping. It's nice that he can go deep and grab a bomb but we need much more production out of that position.

HHURRICANE
12-24-2007, 11:59 PM
I've decided that I will not argue about stuff that people are not willing to see with their own eyes.

The opposing QB completed 7 passes in the same bad weather. Our best O-lineman got hurt. We had many dropped passes.

If the weather had been different or the opposing QB had performed better proving that the conditions were a menagerie than I would be all over Edwards.

Tony Siragusa didn't go back on the field because of the wind and he's paid to sit out there.

I'm not sure what you people are expecting. The team got behind and we were not going to win the game in that weather through the air. PERIOD.

Even the annoucers said it.

It's like having a track meet in a pool. It isn't worth the analysis.

Funny how Trent looked great until the front moved in. If he sucks next week in decent conditions than everyone, including me, should be all over him.

Michael82
12-25-2007, 12:26 AM
The opposing QB completed 7 passes in the same bad weather. Our best O-lineman got hurt. We had many dropped passes.

If the weather had been different or the opposing QB had performed better proving that the conditions were a menagerie than I would be all over Edwards.

Sorry, but the opposing QB is Eli freaking Manning. He's a piece of crap and many people already consider him a bust. When the opposing QB is Brady, Manning, Favre, Romo, or Brees...then I will agree with you. But right now, it doesn't apply because both QBs looked like ****, but neither is that good anyways right now. One is a rookie, and one is an overrated bust.

Michael82
12-25-2007, 12:27 AM
If he sucks next week in decent conditions than everyone, including me, should be all over him.

Sorry, but if he sucks again next week in bad, wintry conditions than I will be all over him. Are you forgetting that we play in Buffalo? We can't have a warm weather or dome QB. It won't work here. :shakeno:

Philagape
12-25-2007, 08:25 AM
There are very few QBs who can play well in that kind of weather, and there are even fewer who can do that AND play well the rest of the season. We're talking HOF caliber. People who are clamoring for an arm that can handle those kinds of winds would be sacrificing the rest of the season.

Forward_Lateral
12-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Why can't Jim Kelly find the fountain of youth?

LtFinFan66
12-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Give him a pass against Miami because they suck:rolleyes:. What an idiot of a post.

justasportsfan
12-25-2007, 03:56 PM
SAme excuses ,different qb.The only thing missing is that no one made excuses about JP's arm in bad weather.

HHURRICANE
12-25-2007, 04:09 PM
SAme excuses ,different qb.The only thing missing is that no one made excuses about JP's arm in bad weather.

Pick any game in the last 4 years that was close to what Trent played in the last 2 weeks. Give it to me, I'm curious.

justasportsfan
12-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Pick any game in the last 4 years that was close to what Trent played in the last 2 weeks. Give it to me, I'm curious.
the dolphins lasy year. 21-0. I was at the game. It was freezing ands the winds were blowing .

If you play for the bills , weather should never be an excuse. It comes with the territory. He had a so-so game. No one is blaming him. Not even me. Maybe he'll get better ,maybe he wont in this conditions but please stop making weather excuses.

Even Flutie didn't have a problem in this weather and his arm was weak.

HHURRICANE
12-25-2007, 04:25 PM
the dolphins lasy year. 21-0. I was at the game. It was freezing ands the winds were blowing .

If you play for the bills , weather should never be an excuse. It comes with the territory. He had a so-so game. No one is blaming him. Not even me. Maybe he'll get better ,maybe he wont in this conditions but please stop making weather excuses.

Even Flutie didn't have a problem in this weather and his arm was weak.

Yes, it was windy but about half of what Trent saw on Sunday. No precip either.

The sad part is that you know the conditions weren't close but you'd rather argue your point than listen to reason.

justasportsfan
12-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes, it was windy but about half of what Trent saw on Sunday. No precip either.

The sad part is that you know the conditions weren't close but you'd rather argue your point than listen to reason.

BS! I was there it was raining. It doesn't matter , rain or no rain weather should enver be an issue for a bills qb. If it is, find one that can play here or make excuses for us every December. This not the Dolphins. We usually don't collapse or choke in December weather. You sound like a finfan.

Sheez, the excuses continue.

HHURRICANE
12-25-2007, 04:34 PM
BS! I was there it was raining. It doesn't matter , rain or no rain weather should enver be an issue for a bills qb. If it is, find one that can play here or make excuses for us every December. This not the Dolphins. We usually don't collapse or choke in December weather. You sound like a finfan.

If he can't play in bad weather I won't be using the last 2 games to make the determination.

yordad
12-25-2007, 04:37 PM
If he can't play in bad weather I won't be using the last 2 games to make the determination.But, wouldn't you use the last two games to begin to make that determination? You act as if they are irrelevant.

Typ0
12-25-2007, 06:31 PM

Justa you keep saying this like all weather is either good or bad. I have been here for ten years and last sunday was the worst swirling and heavy winds I've ever seen. Neither QB could throw the ball in 40+ MPH winds that were constantly changing directions. The difference was the Giants ran right over our defense. Just because you were at the Miami game last year doesn't mean squat...you weren't here this past sunday and you have no idea what types of comparisons you are making.

justasportsfan
12-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Justa you keep saying this like all weather is either good or bad. I have been here for ten years and last sunday was the worst swirling and heavy winds I've ever seen. Neither QB could throw the ball in 40+ MPH winds that were constantly changing directions. The difference was the Giants ran right over our defense. Just because you were at the Miami game last year doesn't mean squat...you weren't here this past sunday and you have no idea what types of comparisons you are making.

I am not blaming Trent for the bad game. You guys are so defensive about it. He wasn't good in this condition. Thats the fact. Again , I'm not blaming him. He has to learn how to deal with such conditions or we find someone who can.

Losman4Life
12-25-2007, 10:58 PM
He does have an odd throwing motion, but QBs should throw hard from 5-10 yards. LBs are so fast that a lightly thrown ball would get picked easily.

I think his balls do get tipped more often than I'd like, and I think THAT is due to his "dart-like" throwing style. He admittedly doesn't get a lot of trajectory on a lot of passes.

He sucks and he had a lot of INT's from tipped passes and deflections in college too, and just like all the injuries these bad mechanics have carried over to the pro level.

mybills
12-26-2007, 05:44 AM
You guys are getting way off topic. The 2 things on topic are not even weather related. It's been happening even in sunshine, and I just want to see him improve on both. It's too early to be bashing him about weather anyway, he doesn't even have enough experience in good weather, let alone bad weather.

He's a quick study, so I'm pretty sure he'll only improve. I hope there isn't an ounce of wind, rain, hail, snow or anything this week, so I can watch for those 2 things to see if there's any improvement. Otherwise, I will wait till next year to see. :idunno:

HHURRICANE
12-26-2007, 09:07 AM
You guys are getting way off topic. The 2 things on topic are not even weather related. It's been happening even in sunshine, and I just want to see him improve on both. It's too early to be bashing him about weather anyway, he doesn't even have enough experience in good weather, let alone bad weather.

He's a quick study, so I'm pretty sure he'll only improve. I hope there isn't an ounce of wind, rain, hail, snow or anything this week, so I can watch for those 2 things to see if there's any improvement. Otherwise, I will wait till next year to see. :idunno:

Well, we agree.