PDA

View Full Version : How to fix this team?

historypete
12-23-2007, 03:36 PM
First off I gotta say I'm not as angry this week that we lost as compared to last week. I figure at least by losing we are improving our draft status, although it may only be a slot or two. Plus, there is only so much *****ing I can do about Fairchild and the Tight Ends.

So instead I think its time to move on to how we fix this team, because its clear, and really it has been all year, that we have major holes.

The first thing we have to do is get rid of some of the dead weight on this team. Players who I'd cut are Larry Triplett, Peerless Price, Anthony Thomas, and Robert Royal. Gaines in on a 1 yr contract so letting him go isn't a big deal to me. I'd even think of letting Ryan Denney go because who knows if that foot is going to be a long-term thing. And whether you like it or not JP will not be here next year, so I try to move him for a 3rd round pick, hopefully we can get something more but I doubt it.

I make Van Pelt my O-Coordinator. I just have a feeling he'll be a great coordinator, just like Jason Garrett has turned out to be.

I'd resign Anthony Hargrove and Bryan Scott. I think Scott has been solid and would a better depth player than Leonard. I also give Evans a contract extension. He had a poor game today but he is one of our few offensive weapon, and his best days are ahead of him.

Now, there are many ways to upgrade this team, but this is the track I would take. I beleive we have a good, young offense with a solid core to build around. We have a good offensive line, but are weak at center. On defense we also have a good core, but need help at the DT position and WLB because Ellision isn't going to cut it. We probably need S and DB help because Youboty has been a dissapointment.

Here is the disclaimer of the post: This is only possible if Ralph is serious about fixing the weaknesses of this team. I think giving up almost 300 yards on the ground today might prompt him to open the wallet.

So, in FA I would target the defense specifically. I think we have a good shot at landing Briggs because of his link to Jauron and Fewell. With a LB core of Crowell, Poz, and Briggs I think that is solid.

To shore up our DT I go after Haynesworth. I hope Tenn. doesn't franchise him, but we desperately need a big, fat, strong, mean DT. I don't really care if the guys stepped on someones head at this point, we need someone on that D-line with a mean streak who can help McCargo.

These would be our big FA aquisitions, and that might be all.

Now to upgrade the offense I think I would focus all my efforts on the draft. We need a big WR target who can catch the ball and win Red Zone Battles. This will help Lee get open more, move Reed and Parrish back to their 3 and 4 WR positions, and give Trent another option.

Then we go for TE by either moving back up into the 1st or moving up in the 2nd if we can. A playmaking TE, the likes of a Clark or Witten, would allow us to attack the middle of the field if teams want to play cover 2. With the cast of characters we have now at TE they are only capable of catching a ball within 5 yards of the LOS.

With the other picks I move around to fill some need areas. LB and CB depth, Center is a big need. We also need to pick up a Vet QB who can come in and provide solid backup to Edwards.

I'm not completely sold on Edwards like some, but I think he has a ton of potential. Overall, I'm happy with what I've seen from him as a rookie with only 8 games of experience. These games are providing him with great experience and I'm glad he is making mistakes because he can learn from them. If we can get him some added weapons I think this offense could be dangerous next year given Fairchild will be gone, and the next coordinator might actually try to find positive matchups for our players.

What do you guys think, I want some feedback. I know I've probably overlooked some things, especially on the FA side.

Don't Panic
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with about 90% of it... the bottom line is we need LBs who can stop a guy from breaking the 2nd tier, a WR and TE to compliment Evans, and our interior linemen to run block better. Those three things happen and I think we're in good shape.

colin
12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I agree with about 90% of it... the bottom line is we need LBs who can stop a guy from breaking the 2nd tier, a WR and TE to compliment Evans, and our interior linemen to run block better. Those three things happen and I think we're in good shape.

i agree.

our DL was good on some plays. our LBs are pretty awful, and with the DL shooting up the field, they need to make plays. lots of missed tackles.

X-Era
12-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Im not a huge fan of your plan. Briggs is a solid ILB, no clue if he or Pos can move to OLB to replace Ellison. Terrell Suggs is a better option with the added pass rush ability. Do you know hes not even 25 yet? scarrrrrry!

Im actually growing more fond of our TE's they are decent blockers and Gaines has proven he can make plays. Id like a youngster but only someone who is able to block as well as catch. Thats not gonna be Dallas Clark, hes just too small.

Tripplett is average but isnt terrible. Unless we plan to get a solid, no kidding upgrade we should keep him. Haynesworth has character issues and Marv just wont go there.

I have no problem with Van-Pelt but Id rather see a true proven OC. I guess Im burnt out with trying out guys. Id like to be very solid right from the start.

As far as any questions on Edwards, I think its too early to be 100% sold on him and as such, we should be thinking about our backup option if Edwards starts to stink. Colt Brennan intrigues me but is another guy who may not be able to play in the snow. Matt Ryan is the guy I would pick but wont make it out ofthe 1st round IMO. Maybe Daniels.

I think the draft needs to net us a true bonafide threat at WR and early. After that I agree with LB, CB, TE, DT, and/or G, C

Don't Panic
12-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Briggs plays WLB... same as Ellison.

historypete
12-23-2007, 04:06 PM
My only problem with Suggs is that he is a 3-4 LB not a 4-3 because he rushes the pass out of that formation. In a 4-3 he'd be more of a coverage, run-stuffer not a pass rusher like he is with Baltimore.

As for Briggs he is an OLB not an ILB. I think Poz in the middle with Crowell and Briggs would be a good combination.

I completely diagree with you about our TE's. They can only catch the ball if it is a short route. Their blocking, especially Royals, leaves a lot to be desired in my opinon. I think that is the one position, along with WR that desperately needs improvement.

YardRat
12-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I think the offense needs more work than the defense.

Get a legit #2 WR through FA, then draft another #2 or potential #1 high in the draft. Draft a center and a DT. Go after a TE in FA to start, but keep Gaines and Royal as back-ups.

We do need to get more athletic at LB, but I don't see us shelling out the money for Briggs. Poz needs to get smarter to play the middle, otherwise he'll be moved outside and DiG will stick.

Simpson will be back next year, and that will be huge with him in the line-up with Wilson as a back-up. Leonhard flat-out sucks and should be cut.

historypete
12-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree the Offense needs more work than the defense. Even if we only address the DT position in FA I will be happy, but we truly need that big WR and TE.

jamze132
12-23-2007, 04:14 PM

i agree.

our DL was good on some plays. our LBs are pretty awful, and with the DL shooting up the field, they need to make plays. lots of missed tackles.
Getting Pos on the field and Dig off should immediatly fix that huge problem. While we are at it, we might as well get another LB to replace Ellison.

The Jokeman
12-23-2007, 04:16 PM
My only problem with Suggs is that he is a 3-4 LB not a 4-3 because he rushes the pass out of that formation. In a 4-3 he'd be more of a coverage, run-stuffer not a pass rusher like he is with Baltimore.

As for Briggs he is an OLB not an ILB. I think Poz in the middle with Crowell and Briggs would be a good combination.

I completely diagree with you about our TE's. They can only catch the ball if it is a short route. Their blocking, especially Royals, leaves a lot to be desired in my opinon. I think that is the one position, along with WR that desperately needs improvement.
Thank you. Someone that understands that an OLB in a 3-4 has different responsibilities then a OLB in a 4-3.