PDA

View Full Version : Can't you miserable people look at a Positive?

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Marshawn is the 5th Bill to rush for 1,000 yards his rookie season!

:rockon:

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I think he's only about 150 yards away from setting the franchise rookie record, held by Cribbs.

Philagape
12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
The team gets spanked at home, and it's the people who are miserable ....

Don't Panic
12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Great accomplishment... not even Thurman did that. We have our franchise RB in place and can rest easy knowing that a major component of our offense is in place. He will only get better with time and we as a team will benefit greatly from that.

X-Era
12-23-2007, 03:47 PM

Theres a ton to be happy about IMO. but theres also lots more work to be done.

YardRat
12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm not miserable, but I'm going to participate anyway...

If I heard right sometime last week, Edwards/Lynch are only the third QB-RB rookie combo to rush for 1000 and pass for 1000 yards in the same season in NFL history.

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Theres a ton to be happy about IMO. but theres also lots more work to be done.

I understand, but week after week theres countless threads "OMG this" and "Boo that"

I know, we have a lot to improve on, and once again there's always next year.

But can we just save the bellyachin' for Mondays and look at the positives?

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Whatever happened to Terry Miller?

Historian
12-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Same place as Greg Bell...

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Whatever happened to Terry Miller?

He quit after 3 pro years

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Same place as Greg Bell...
At least Greg Bell helped us get Cornelius Bennett.

im4bflo
12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
The beginning of the game rocked! :rocker:
Why we can't keep a lead when we score early? :idunno:
They were playing for their lives, but we hung pretty well, until the 4th.
Great running, Marshawn was a treat to watch.
Bad ST turnovers helped the giants, otherwise we may have won.
EXCELLENT goal line stand!!! That had everybody out of their seats!
:gobills:

Discotrish
12-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I understand, but week after week theres countless threads "OMG this" and "Boo that"

I know, we have a lot to improve on, and once again there's always next year.

But can we just save the bellyachin' for Mondays and look at the positives?

This would be a great season for the End Times to break out. Bills stink, Pats are great. Bring it!

Patti

shelby
12-24-2007, 08:21 AM
BEAST MODE BABY!
:bf1:

Wys Guy
12-24-2007, 08:32 AM

Jackson is a better RB than Marshawn.

At the beginning of the season you all had your heads falsely filled with the notion that Lynch is a home run threat and something other than what he was in college or is proving to be in the pros. He's nothing more than a grind it out kind of RB that has no "home run threat."

Jackson is the better rusher plain and simple, but because Marshawn is "Dick and Levy's guy" he will be forced into the starting role regardless. His big, bad 1K season was built entirely on number of carries whereby he had to get the tough yards.

His average behind Peters and Dockery, supposedly a mammoth road grading tandem, was 3.0 prior to this week.

Everyone's clearly free to think about this team as they wish, but it is pretty much bereft of playmakers, and still has incredibly weak lines in spite of any talk to the contrary. That's only a recipe for continued poor play.

It's amazing that we won 7 games this season, truly.

After everything that this team spent on offense this past offseason, the performance that it has gotten should be shameful, utterly shameful. Of course it won't be to them and they'll be right back with the Gerber spoon with the brown stuff on it telling you that it's creamed filet mignon, which many will buy and even down while keeping a straight face while convincing themselves that it's yummy. LOL

But the fact is that this offense is worse than last season's. The D is a mishmash of nothing that is only capable of focusing one thing such as either stopping the run or the pass, but not both.

Many will herald guys like McCargo for making two big stuffs yesterday or in other games, but the fact of the matter is that when you allow a 38-7 run on the merits of 291 rushing yards, over 200 in the 2nd half alone, and half of it to a player that has never even played, then there is absolutely no excuse or out to suggest that the entire front-7 sucks.

Last season's 7 wins were more impressive.

Wys Guy
12-24-2007, 08:40 AM
The beginning of the game rocked! :rocker:
Why we can't keep a lead when we score early? :idunno:
They were playing for their lives, but we hung pretty well, until the 4th.
Great running, Marshawn was a treat to watch.
Bad ST turnovers helped the giants, otherwise we may have won.
EXCELLENT goal line stand!!! That had everybody out of their seats!
:gobills:

Other than his 28-yarder, Marshawn averaged barely over 2 ypc.

It's no wonder everyone thinks he's good. This season's performance by him was below average. He's not proven to be the homerun runner that many said he was and wasn't in college either.

Either way, I have no idea how anyone can possibly say that he had a good game. If that's all he gives us going forward then it will be woefully short.

It's no wonder so many have such odd expectations for this team sometimes.

As to the goal-line stand and the start at the beginning, too bad there's 48 more minutes and a number of other drives, eh.

Honestly, fans here utterly overemphasize two or three big plays each game amidst a sea of incredibly mediocre or even poor performance every week and continually allow exceptions to set the standard.

I don't care what he did yesterday, McCargo is not good. I don't care what Lynch did on one single run, what he brings over the course of an entire game, consistently it can be added, is wholely inadequate for this team to power itself to a championship. Jackson seems to be a better RB at this point in time.

Either way, how anyone can rate yesterday's game as anything but pathetic is beyond me. A 38-7 run in a game that our opponent literally tried to hand us the game via 4 TOs (much as in the Dallas game) and yet this is the best we could do?

Lastly, in terms of "selling out another home game," It'd be nice to not sell out three games every season due to the opposing team's fans buying the tickets. Even on TV it was clear that there were a ton of Giants fans there.

This team has regressed from last season both offensively and defensively and even on special teams. Defensively it was to be expected, but offensively the coaching staff should be openly ashamed of themselves.

Jan Reimers
12-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Truly ludicrous.

Wys Guy
12-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Great accomplishment... not even Thurman did that. We have our franchise RB in place and can rest easy knowing that a major component of our offense is in place. He will only get better with time and we as a team will benefit greatly from that.

Thurman never had the opportunity. He only had 207 carries in his rookie season being forced to split carries with Riddick, Mueller, and even Harmon back in a day when Marvy-Marv didn't like to start rookies.

If he had had 240 carries thru 15 games like Lynch has had, he'd have had 1,030 or so yards based on his YPC average which was nearly a half-yard higher than Lynch's.

The Bills had 528 rushing attempts that year contrasted with 387 this year. so unless the Bills run the ball 141 times next weekend, the rushing game was far more successful back then as well.

Once again, instead of perhaps doing what are/were in both the team's as well as Lynch's best interests, the team focused on "trying to create a hero" as something for this miserable O to hang their hats on for next season before the remnant loses interest completely.

Lynch, in the interests of his longetivity and utility to the team, should have been yielding some carries to Thomas early on, who really didn't play any worse all in all, and clearly to Jackson, whom many already think may be the best RB on the roster right now.

If the team has spread the ball around some, perhaps Lynch wouldn't have gotten hurt. But this team's management is in such desperation to see some of their draft picks take root amidst a sea of disappointing free agent acquisitions that just as in the Donadope era they seem to be forcing the issue on some things just to validate their vacuous methodologies to the NFL talking heads. There's no way that we even come close to achieving last season's pathetic point total as a team and we've already allowed 26 more points this year than we did last year in spite of a slate full of pathetic offenses.

Lynch will "only get better with time" brenton, but how much "the team will benefit greatly from that" remains to be seen. He'll need to have more than a marginal improvement to be a playmaker and impact player, something that he clearly wasn't this year.

And will the team's coaching brain trust actually see that perhaps it makes sense to compete the job opening it up for Jackson? If not, will they run a "two-headed monster" approach ala Jax for example that benefits the team, or will they continue to attempt to make themselves look better on paper by forcing Lynch to carry the ball astronomical numbers of times while leaving perhaps a better talent on the bench mostly?

In spite of similar records, this team overall has regressed this season in most ways. Where they did improve, rushing D for example, at least on paper overall if not against average or better teams, they lost far more in the passing defense as a result of their overemphasis on the rushing D, which was really only "good" vs. pathetic and/or one-dimensional Os for the most part.

Either way, I'm not at all confident that these clowns are going to make the correct decisions. Have they yet?

Mr. Pink
12-24-2007, 10:22 AM
I dunno which of these two RBs is clearly better. I'm not entirely sold on either yet, to be honest. I like what each brings to the table separately though and think the tandem can be something us fans can look forward to for 5 years or so.

Thunder and Lighting, remember that tandem back in NY...Tiki and Dayne? Or Warrick Dunn and Duckett? That's what these two are. One is a slasher scat back type and the other a bruiser.

Going by NFL standards the scat back type usually wins out in the end, as a historical reference point.

Wys Guy
12-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Truly ludicrous.

Your opinion.

He's clearly more agile, faster, and has averaged more yards-per-carry.

Seems to me that the onus is on those taking your position to disprove that rather than to merely accept an opinion based on just that, an opinion with few or no facts to back it up.

Has Lynch actually made a major impact this season other than

Jackson has proven to at least be Lynch's equal in the one game that he started and in the two games that he actually had a substantial amount of carries, besting Lynch's game average in both of those, in spite of starting in only one.

His ypc is then again ~ 40% of what Lynch's is.

I sense the typical "he was a 1st rounder therefore he must be better" kind of approach here that is largely what has plagued this team for nearly a decade during the most superficially run stretch that this franchise has ever seen.

And let's not counter with the tiresome notion of how another good RB has had a season in which he rushed for only 3.9 ypc.

BTW, Merry Christmas to you too Jan!!!

:smile:

Wys Guy
12-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I dunno which of these two RBs is clearly better. I'm not entirely sold on either yet, to be honest. I like what each brings to the table separately though and think the tandem can be something us fans can look forward to for 5 years or so.

Thunder and Lighting, remember that tandem back in NY...Tiki and Dayne? Or Warrick Dunn and Duckett? That's what these two are. One is a slasher scat back type and the other a bruiser.

Going by NFL standards the scat back type usually wins out in the end, as a historical reference point.

Given the status of each, IMO there should be a full and open competition between the two next year. How do we know that we don't have the next "Priest Holmes" in our midst?

Baltmore took the same errant approach when they had preannointed Jamal Lewis as "better" simply due to his draft status prior to not making a bid to keep Holmes around who had clearly outperformed Lewis in spades the rest of that season that he replaced Lewis for injury.

A good GM/HC would consider that perhaps their best player isn't necessarily the highest drafted; Some names from the past; Terrell Davis, Tom Brady, and Priest Holmes.

Of course we don't have either a good GM or a good HC, so hey, we are left with what happens.

Mr. Pink
12-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Given the status of each, IMO there should be a full and open competition between the two next year. How do we know that we don't have the next "Priest Holmes" in our midst?

Baltmore took the same errant approach when they had preannointed Jamal Lewis as "better" simply due to his draft status prior to not making a bid to keep Holmes around who had clearly outperformed Lewis in spades the rest of that season that he replaced Lewis for injury.

A good GM/HC would consider that perhaps their best player isn't necessarily the highest drafted; Some names from the past; Terrell Davis, Tom Brady, and Priest Holmes.

Of course we don't have either a good GM or a good HC, so hey, we are left with what happens.

When you have a 1st round pick guy, you have to give him the chance to shine. Economics and Business play a huge role in what you're doing. It's the way of the league. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss and other times you have enough time to correct a mistake.

Chicago getting rid of Thomas Jones to hand it over to number 4 pick Cedric Benson - miss. Huge miss.

Atlanta drafting Duckett in round 1 while already having Dunn. Miss on the pick, corrected mistake by keeping Dunn and letting Duckett go. But it took time for it to play out.

Giants same thing. Drafted Dayne, mistake. Let Tiki keep the job in the end and jettisoned Dayne, fix. Again, it took time to play out.

Don't forget the Ravens also had Chester Taylor behind Jamal. One cannot really fault Baltimore for keeping with Jamal, seeing he did run for 2000 yards in season. And as much as people bag on the guy around here, they didn't do a bad job in replacing Jamal this season.

Look at Dallas now...Barber is gonna take over the role as the number 1 runningback sometime in the near future...but it's taken time for them to get over Julius Jones - again. based on draft position.

This isn't saying what is gonna happen here by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just examples of some similiar type situations elsewhere in the league and the fact that even if Jackson is the better player today, debatable, depends on what type running back you prefer, he won't be the starter for at least 3 seasons.

im4bflo
12-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Obviously, the answer to the thread is NO!

shelby
12-24-2007, 11:10 AM
No kidding.
Ripping on Lynch is madness.

Jan Reimers
12-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Your opinion.
BTW, Merry Christmas to you too Jan!!!
:smile:
I would say that your calling Jackson a better running back than Marshawn is an opinion, too, and one shared by very few.

But I'm not going to argue about something that really can't be proven, except to say that the coaching staff - who are much closer to the situation than we are - has chosen to run Marshawn enough so that he has gained 1010 yards in just 12 games.

My opinion is that Jackson couldn't take the pounding that Marshawn has, or simply wouldn't have the numbers, and is much more effective as a change of pace back. Yards per carry and other stats are often misleading when comparing a part time player to an every down player.*

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and I hope to see you at a game or a Bills' get-together next year.

*Marshawn has a much higher QB rating than either JP or Trent, but that doesn't make him a better QB.

G Wolly
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks for being "that guy" who ruined another positive thread.