PDA

View Full Version : Roughing the Punter

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this call is BS most of the time?

I mean like today, when Whitner dove to block the punt he hit the punter before the punter even touched the ground.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure once you're diving through the air you can't just stop. I understand the point of make sure you can block the ball if you dive at the punter, but there's just some things that can't be helped.

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:10 PM
take the proper angle and it doesn't happen

YardRat
12-23-2007, 04:11 PM
That was a legit call...Whitner took the wrong angle, missed the ball, and smoked Feagles in the knee.

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 04:13 PM
That was a legit call...Whitner took the wrong angle, missed the ball, and smoked Feagles in the knee.

I only got one view of it, but it looked a bit like a dive. He got him, but looked like he embellished a bit.

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Alright I get the wrong angle thing now I guess.

But unless it was intentional/blatantly obvious, I think it shouldn't be called.

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 04:15 PM

But unless it was intentional/blatantly obvious, I think it shouldn't be called.

It isn't usually called unless he the punter gets blasted. I thought it was a glancing blow and that usually means a five yard running into the kicker penalty.

Historian
12-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Best acting job since Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby.

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
That was an obvious call.

How the hell Witner missed the ball was what was amazing on that play.

YardRat
12-23-2007, 04:21 PM
It isn't usually called unless he the punter gets blasted. I thought it was a glancing blow and that usually means a five yard running into the kicker penalty.

I haven't seen a replay of it since immediately after, but it looked to me like Whitner gave him a pretty good helmet to the knee.

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 04:22 PM
I haven't seen a replay of it since immediately after, but it looked to me like Whitner gave him a pretty good helmet to the knee.

I can't wait to get a DVR.

MikeInRoch
12-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Suppose Whitner had touched the ball - could the Bills have called for a review to confirm that?

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:25 PM

But unless it was intentional/blatantly obvious, I think it shouldn't be called.give me a break. The guy is in a position where he is completely defenseless. Had Moorman been roughed, would this thread be here?? No!!

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
give me a break. The guy is in a position where he is completely defenseless. Had Moorman been roughed, would this thread be here?? No!!
Shouldn't you be watching your fins?

FYI it's 28-0 now.

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 04:31 PM

FYI it's 28-0 now.

I actually wasn't going to stoop to somewhat personal attacks, so thanks being the designated a-hole.

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:32 PM

FYI it's 28-0 now.I am watching them. I don't recall pulling your chain

LtBillsFan66
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
lol Donte couldn't have nailed him any harder.

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I actually wasn't going to stoop to somewhat personal attacks, so thanks being the designated a-hole.I notice you didn't answer my question

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 04:34 PM

FYI it's 28-0 now.

56-10

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:37 PM
lol Donte couldn't have nailed him any harder.
I was thinking the same thing. So obvious.

Nice spike by Lemon. :rofl:

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
56-10Thank you

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Thank you

I hate it when people bring up useless crap when their team can be crapped upon even more heavily.

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I hate it when people bring up useless crap when their team can be crapped upon even more heavily.
You must not be watching the Fins game.

It looks like varsity vs. freshmen.

LtFinFan66
I hate it when people bring up useless crap when their team can be crapped upon even more heavily.At least we only gave up 28 in the first this time. They had 42 at the half in Miami

LtFinFan66
You must not be watching the Fins game.

It looks like varsity vs. freshmen.See his post before that Einstein

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Please no personal attacks.

Dolphin football is a personal attack against good football.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't know if I've seen a more obvious roughing the kicker call in my 25 years of watching football. Helmet to knee contact by Whitner.

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Please no personal attacks.

Dolphin football is a personal attack against good football.Giants only beat us 13-10. What now??

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
I notice you didn't answer my question

You answered your own question.

Hard Nose Football
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
What, are you in 7th grade?

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
You answered your own question.No, you avoided when I asked if this thread would be here had Moorman been roughed. Man, your post is an idiot

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Now I'm no rocket surgeon here, but this looks like an answer to your own question

Had Moorman been roughed, would this thread be here?? No!!

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
What, are you in 7th grade?Well, I figured you were bringing up stuff totally unrelated to this thread so I figured I would do the same.

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Now I'm no rocket surgeon here, but this looks like an answer to your own questionNo, I gave my opinion. I was looking for your opinion

G Wolly
12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
No, I gave my opinion. I was looking for your opinion

It probably wouldn't since this is a Bills forum.

LtFinFan66
12-23-2007, 06:26 PM
It probably wouldn't since this is a Bills forum.that post made zero sense.

Philagape
12-23-2007, 06:35 PM
It was a good call, and it is a good rule. When a punter has his leg above his head, he's literally defenseless. The rusher has to come in from the side. Tasker should give lessons on it.

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 06:49 PM
It was a good call, and it is a good rule. When a punter has his leg above his head, he's literally defenseless. The rusher has to come in from the side. Tasker should give lessons on it.

Yes, it is a good rule. I saw it only once and it looked like Whitner barely touched him.

And I have seen Moorman wiped out earlier this year and NO call was made.

DraftBoy
12-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes, it is a good rule. I saw it only once and it looked like Whitner barely touched him.

And I have seen Moorman wiped out earlier this year and NO call was made.

When was that? I didnt see every game, so I may have missed it.

As for today's call, Whitner drilled Feagles, that was a no brainer call

Typ0
12-23-2007, 07:55 PM

this call is made every single time. You cannot hit the punter if you don't touch the ball and it's probably the most consistent call in the history of the league. The defender cannot be called for roughing the kicker when the contact takes part as a function of a block. Other than that it's called every time.

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 07:56 PM
this call is made every single time. You cannot hit the punter if you don't touch the ball and it's probably the most consistent call in the history of the league. The defender cannot be called for roughing the kicker when the contact takes part as a function of a block. Other than that it's called every time.

Not every time. I haven't seen roughing the kicker in a long time actually.

DraftBoy
12-23-2007, 07:59 PM

That was one of the first if not the first times we did it all season, I think

Typ0
12-23-2007, 08:05 PM

you haven't seen it because it's called every time and never happens.

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 08:05 PM
That was one of the first if not the first times we did it all season, I think

I'm sure it is. It was a stupid play. I was just saying that it looked like he glanced off the punter as he was going under and that the punter acted like a soccer player. Good for him, he got the desired call. I've seen Moorman get the running into the kicker penalty before and I've seen him get bumped and not get a call.

I asked because of what I saw on the one replay I saw close up.

I need a freaking DVR.

Oldbillsfan
12-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Shoulda hemeted Feagles in the nads for that penalty. The Bills gave the lead away with stupid penalties like that and turnovers.

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 08:06 PM
you haven't seen it because it's called every time and never happens.

Thanks Mr. expert. If I need any further advice I will be sure to call you. You obviously see every play of every game in the NFL.

By the way you contradicted yourself in your own post.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2007, 08:10 PM
It was a stupid play by Whitner. Period.

Typ0
12-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks Mr. expert. If I need any further advice I will be sure to call you. You obviously see every play of every game in the NFL.

By the way you contradicted yourself in your own post.

of all the games you either played in or seen how many times have you seen the kicker get ran into and the flag not thrown?

chernobylwraiths
12-23-2007, 08:26 PM
of all the games you either played in or seen how many times have you seen the kicker get ran into and the flag not thrown?

I think I've seen one this year.

And I'm not denying the flag, I was wondering if it was roughing or running into. That is quite a different penalty.

Billzz
12-23-2007, 08:35 PM
I think I've seen one this year.

And I'm not denying the flag, I was wondering if it was roughing or running into. That is quite a different penalty.

Watch the Greenbay game from today and the 3 blocked kicks and how many times the punter ended up on his behind.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Looked like the inside thigh to me.

DraftBoy
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Watch the Greenbay game from today and the 3 blocked kicks and how many times the punter ended up on his behind.

If you get the ball you can crush the punter

Billzz
12-23-2007, 09:04 PM
If you get the ball you can crush the punter

How much did he miss the ball by?

DraftBoy
12-23-2007, 09:10 PM
How much did he miss the ball by?

He could of missed it by a milimeter for all I care, he took a bad angle that they teach you not to take in HS and committed his body knowing he would of rocked the punter. It was a bonehead play and if you ask him that Id be shocked to hear him say it wasnt.

Billzz
12-23-2007, 09:12 PM
He could of missed it by a milimeter for all I care, he took a bad angle that they teach you not to take in HS and committed his body knowing he would of rocked the punter. It was a bonehead play and if you ask him that Id be shocked to hear him say it wasnt.

I didn't see the play clearly enough to know if he was close or not. As far as the angle the punter could of shifted his body or stepped up further then he expected. It's kinda like an accident where you make a decision in a fraction of a second and give him a pass because of that.

DraftBoy
12-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I didn't see the play clearly enough to know if he was close or not. As far as the angle the punter could of shifted his body or stepped up further then he expected. It's kinda like an accident where you make a decision in a fraction of a second and give him a pass because of that.

Whitner made a dumb decision he put his entire body on the line knowing that he was going to hit the punter, it wasnt a misstep or shift in the punters body. There are ways to block punts (ask Tasker) without drilling the punter, Whitner apparently needs more practice doing so.

Discotrish
12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Whitner made a dumb decision he put his entire body on the line knowing that he was going to hit the punter, it wasnt a misstep or shift in the punters body. There are ways to block punts (ask Tasker) without drilling the punter, Whitner apparently needs more practice doing so.

Plus, it wasn't as though we desperately needed that particular punt blocked.

Patti