• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

RIP Cover 2 - A Monster Blunder

I can't sit in the stands anymore and watch another team just run over us, because they can. In my 40+ years of attending games, I can't recall a worse run D outside of 1971 (1-13) .

Kyle Williams, Larry Tripplett, Jason Jefferson, John DiGiorgio should never be on the field. Why John McCargo spends most plays standing on the sidelines is baffling to me.

I didn't drink a drop today and wished I had consumed a 12 pack. ( Of course, I'd need about $200 to do that at the Ralph )

I'm sure Perry Fewell is a nice fellow but we need a legit Defense to stop the run or we'll never sniff the playoffs. Since Jauron isn't going anywhere and the Bills will probably promote Turk or AVP on Offense, a Defensive coordinator and some massive DT's are a must.

The 2 year cute gimmick is over. Bury it.

The team isn't without talent but the square peg will NEVER fit into the round hole. The scheme doesn't work at all.

Get huge up the middle and watch our D suddenly get better. The whole point is to stop the run first. You can't argue it..It's SCIENCE !
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

Re: RIP Cover 2 - A Monster Blunder

great post bro

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

Has nothing to do with the scheme of why we absolutely suck against the run.

Has everything to do with the lack of talent and ability of the front four against the run. Problem is there's so much money tied up in this garbage players that we really can't do anything about it.

Comment

• Akhippo
        • Nov 2002

I would take the Vikings approach to a team any any any day of the week. They are winning with T Jackson and a bunch of no name WR's.

I almost spit out my drink watching a replay of one of the Giants long runs. Both of our backers dove for the feet of the lineman coming out to block. Is that part of the cover two. What the hell was that.
        Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• Night Train
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Akhippo
          I would take the Vikings approach to a team any any any day of the week. They are winning with T Jackson and a bunch of no name WR's.
          and a couple monsters in the middle...one named Pat Williams..
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Akhippo
            • Nov 2002

I dont mind Levy, but everybody hammers Donahoe about his GM skills. Why did we pay both DE's SO much money for no productivity. Josh Reed getting all his money for nothing special. Osi U. is worth Schobel money. He brought the heat all game long, didnt run past the QB and put our Pro bowler on his back.

Plus opposing lines dont even have to double team anybody on our line, that why when we blitz the fifth guy just has to pick him up.
            Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• djjimkelly
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
              Has nothing to do with the scheme of why we absolutely suck against the run.

Has everything to do with the lack of talent and ability of the front four against the run. Problem is there's so much money tied up in this garbage players that we really can't do anything about it.

thats becuz every team in nfl depnds on only the front 4 lol

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                thats becuz every team in nfl depnds on only the front 4 lol
                You win the game in the trenches. If you can control the line of scrimmage, you win 9 times out of 10.

So yes, every team in the NFL depends on the front 4 or 3, depending on scheme.

Comment

• Bmax
                  • Aug 2003

The Biggest Bills Blunder besides drating Walt patalski and Mike Williams was not resigning Pat Williams...

When the bills were able to stop the Run they had Ted Washington or Big Pat...

Like Pat said after we let him and a couple of other players go... "Man they real dumb up there".....

Thanks Donahoe .....

Marv and Ralph saw it just like we all did..

Remember when we switched to the Tampa 2 We signed Triplett and tried to Sign Pickett-He chose Green Bay......

So it's not that they didn't try at first..I think the Biggest mistake was over estimating the talent of Kyle Williams....He is a nice wave guy....He spells your main guy....

A guy Like Tank Johnson could help .and of course Hanyesworth.. but they are not likely.....DRAFT OR SURPRISE FA OUR BEST BET...

My guess is that they make this position priority #1 B.. after WR-Big wr ....

Tampa and Indy did alright when they had DEF Linemen like Freeney,Sapp,Mcfarland, Mathis ......

Bmax

Comment

• Akhippo
                    • Nov 2002

I dont care what system they call it. You need big guys up front that can gobble up defenders. You need ends that can bring the heat. If our DTs can bring the heat and the ends gobble up defenders thats a plus. But when you have both that can do neither, you are in trouble.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Night Train
                      I can't sit in the stands anymore and watch another team just run over us, because they can. In my 40+ years of attending games, I can't recall a worse run D outside of 1971 (1-13) .

Kyle Williams, Larry Tripplett, Jason Jefferson, John DiGiorgio should never be on the field. Why John McCargo spends most plays standing on the sidelines is baffling to me.

I didn't drink a drop today and wished I had consumed a 12 pack. ( Of course, I'd need about $200 to do that at the Ralph )

I'm sure Perry Fewell is a nice fellow but we need a legit Defense to stop the run or we'll never sniff the playoffs. Since Jauron isn't going anywhere and the Bills will probably promote Turk or AVP on Offense, a Defensive coordinator and some massive DT's are a must.

The 2 year cute gimmick is over. Bury it.

The team isn't without talent but the square peg will NEVER fit into the round hole. The scheme doesn't work at all.

Get huge up the middle and watch our D suddenly get better. The whole point is to stop the run first. You can't argue it..It's SCIENCE !
                      So what 'scheme' is the current roster better suited for?

Should we put in a 34 defense with three undersized lineman and a LBing corps of Crowell, DiG, Ellison, and Wire in the starting line-up? How about a variation of the Eagle defense with two corners whose strengths aren't man-to-man and safeties who can't keep up with receivers in a zone scheme let alone matched up one-on-one?

Or would you rather we just started from scratch and scrapped better than half of the starting line-up and try re-building once again? Who's going to go, because they don't fit the new scheme? Whitner? McGee? Schobel, Denney, and Kelsay?
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• djjimkelly
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                        You win the game in the trenches. If you can control the line of scrimmage, you win 9 times out of 10.

So yes, every team in the NFL depends on the front 4 or 3, depending on scheme.

sorry it depends on front 7

regardless of 3-4 or 4-3

watch some other teams play more and get the sunday ticket and then tell me how many teams only rush 4 like we do id say 80-90% of the time

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by YardRat

Should we put in a 34 defense with three undersized lineman and a LBing corps of Crowell, DiG, Ellison, and Wire in the starting line-up? How about a variation of the Eagle defense with two corners whose strengths aren't man-to-man and safeties who can't keep up with receivers in a zone scheme let alone matched up one-on-one?

Or would you rather we just started from scratch and scrapped better than half of the starting line-up and try re-building once again? Who's going to go, because they don't fit the new scheme? Whitner? McGee? Schobel, Denney, and Kelsay?

sadly i dont think we have many pieces to run a 3-4 . but with a few adjustments in position and some serious juice/gym work somethings could be done

our de's are too small to be 3-4 ends a couple of our LBs POZ and crowell could make switch without a doubt but i dont think we have a guy on our D line who could play as a 3-4 d lineman.

however schobel could play OLB bryce paup kevin greene style i have no doubt about that.

also u would have to decide what to do with mccargo either bulk up or slim down.

if he'd bulk up he could play NT slim down a little a nice DE in 3-4 id go with bulk up

i think denney could actually play DE in a 3-4 scheme.

hargrove could surprise at DE in a 3-4 scheme he already moves inside on certain plays for us now

so that leaves kelsey tripplet and i wont even name any other dlineman as they dont deserve to be spoken about.

id release tripplett to make switch and god knows with kelsey becuz he just resigned but he would not fit in a 3-4 anywhere. but he could play DE in rotation

that would leave us needing 1 to 2 LB's.

it could be done im baffled marv didnt make change 2 years ago.

we would have problems getting a starting 7 year 1

but it could look like this

LE denney
                          NT mccargo
                          RE hargrove extra DE kelsey

OLB schobel
                          MLB crowell
                          MLB POZ
                          OLB some free agent or draft pick

id also sign a big time DE

digirgio and ellison are WAY to small to play in a 3-4 scheme

we can only wish

Comment

• Night Train
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                            The one where there isn't a 8 foot hole in the middle on the line on the running play.

You mentioned the DE's and others, not me. DT's with size who hold their ground,clog running lanes and force the run outside, where the pursuit cuts them off. I didn't say rebuild the entire D.

Get tougher up the middle.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                              The one where there isn't a 8 foot hole in the middle on the line on the running play.

You mentioned the DE's and others, not me. DT's with size who hold their ground,clog running lanes and force the run outside, where the pursuit cuts them off. I didn't say rebuild the entire D.

Get tougher up the middle.
                              well the main up the middle hasn't played since week 3 and it shows

Comment

Working...
                              X