PDA

View Full Version : Build a better defense.

YardRat
12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Realistically.

With any of the players we have now, and including any 'new' players that you bring in that we might actually have a finacial shot at obtaining.

Go ahead.

The Jokeman
12-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Realistically.

With any of the players we have now, and including any 'new' players that you bring in that we might actually have a finacial shot at obtaining.

Go ahead.
If mean for next year, here's my early plan. I focused on starters since think we have adequate depth.

DLE Chris Kelsay, his contract will keep him in the starting lineup and don't see any UFA that would be better unless break the bank to get Jared Allen but you said financial shot at getting.

DRE Aaron Schobel, he's not having a Pro Bowl season but still is the best DE on the roster

DLT Larry Tripplett, most would cut him based on stats but think like Kelsay his contract prevents him from being let go.

DRT Russell Davis, Giants, I haven't really scouted DT in free agency but he his a guy was looking at last year so will keep him on my short list as is a true NT that we lack.

SLB Angelo Crowell, our best LB, I can't see letting him go.

MLB Paul Posluszny, hopefully returns to preinjury form.

WLB Landon Johnson, Bengals, has posted 80 plus tackles his first four seasons in the league. While Briggs and Dansby are better players think this guy is a more affordable option.

LCB Travis Fisher, Lions, I like McGee but I couldn't help notice he seemed to be the focus of where the Giants were throwing the ball. He's played under Fewell in the past and might be an affordable option. I'll keep McGee to return kicks of compete with....

RCB Jabari Greer, he's been solid all year. If we didn't spend big money to retain Nate Clements can't seeing us using big money to find a big name CB.

SS Donte Whitner, his play isn't as good as it was his rookie year but his surrounding cast has taken a hit so give him the benefit of the doubt.

FS Ko Simpson, if he comes back healthy he should be able to retain his starting spot

YardRat
12-23-2007, 06:33 PM
If mean for next year, here's my early plan:

DLE Chris Kelsay, his contract will keep him in the starting lineup
DRE Aaron Schobel, he's not having a Pro Bowl season but still is the best DE on the roster and don't see any UFA that would be better.
LCB Travis Fisher, Lions, I like McGee but I couldn't help notice he seemed to be the focus of where the Giants were throwing the ball. He's played under Fewell in the past and might be an affordable option. I'll keep McGee to return kicks of compete with....
RCB Jabari Greer, he's been solid all year. If we didn't spend big money to retain Nate Clements can't seeing us using big money to find another CB.
SS Donte Whitner, his play isn't as good as it was his rookie year but his surrounding cast has taken a hit so give him the benefit of the doubt.
FS Ko Simpson, if he comes back healthy he should be able to retain his starting spot
DLT Larry Tripplett, most would cut him based on stats but think like Kelsay his contract prevents him from being let go.
DRT Russell Davis, Giants, I haven't really scouted DT in free agency but he his a guy was looking at last year so will keep him on my short list as is a true NT that we lack.
SLB Angelo Crowell, he's our best LB I can't see letting him go
MLB Paul Posluszny, hopefully returns to preinjury form.
WLB Landon Johnson, Bengals, has posted 80 plus tackles his first four seasons in the league. While Briggs and Dansby are better players think this guy is a more affordable option.

Basically what you're saying is keep the T2 and upgrade the talent at a few key positions.

I agree...the scheme isn't necessarily ready for the trash heap, but we could use better players in certain spots.

I'd like to see someone come up with a switch in the scheme itself since some think we might have the players but are just utilizing the wrong system.

The Jokeman
12-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Basically what you're saying is keep the T2 and upgrade the talent at a few key positions.

I agree...the scheme isn't necessarily ready for the trash heap, but we could use better players in certain spots.

I'd like to see someone come up with a switch in the scheme itself since some think we might have the players but are just utilizing the wrong system.

The scheme does have some weakness to it but all things considered the D, with the poor talent it has, hasn't played that badly. As let's not forget that you could argue that at least 3 of the TDs scored today by the Giants rests on the Offense and special teams. An upgrade in talent will help and learning a new scheme could force us to take a few steps back.

njsue
12-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Realistically.

Go ahead.

The bills defense looks too weak. Marv Levy has to come up huge in free agency. This team needs veteran leadership which is lost due to the exit of London Fletcher IMO.