• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

My Thoughts on the Giants DEBACLE

I have a variety of things I want to touch on, so if you're in the mood to read by ready for a longer post than normal.. Not necessarily in order of importance either.

STEVE FAIRCHILD
    He can't get out of this town fast enough. What a horrendous display of playcalling after the first two series. It's almost like he was satisfied with us scoring 14 points for the day. Here are a few specifics off the very top of my head that make me despise him.
    *On back to back drives in the third quarter the same thing happened. One drive Lynch went for 13 yards on the left side. The next play was the EXACT same play call (literally) that was stuffed for a 5 yard loss. On the next drive, Lynch ran to the right for four yards. Next play? YOu guessed it, the EXACT same call (literally) that was stuffed for a big loss, creating 3rd and long.
    * Lynch has 40+ yards in the first quarter, and then doesn't see another ball thrown his way for how long?
    This guy just doesn't get it in this town. more than any one player, the top priority needs to be finding a coordinator that has imagination and will play to the strengths of a team. I'm done with him, he's ****ing brutal.

FEWELL/MCCARGO
    Why in God's name doesn't this kid get more playing time? Check your TIVO's for this if you think I'm lying. On that drive that we stopped them at the goaline; McCargo makes big plays on both 3rd and 4th down and we take over.. Do you know the next time McCargo saw the field after that? On a 3rd and 1 from our red zone (Manning fumbled and lost that play, Tripplett fell on it). Why in the hell is he sitting on the bench during all those plays? He plays sparingly, and though he is showing the talent he has; it was stupid to trade up for a 1st rounder who is literally a situational DT (and that's how we're using him). Pathetic.

DONTE WHITNER
    You may not be there yet Mr. Whitner. But you are treading a very THIN line of ice of being the next big-time Buffalo Bills BUST. Though there is plenty of blame to spread around today, no single player deserves to get called out more than Whitner. He pretty much single-handedly let the Giants back into the game. First with the absolute idiotic roughing the kicker call (why is your starting strong safety on an injury depleted unit being risked on special teams to begin with?), and then taking his typical horrible angle to allow Jacobs to spring for the long TD run. He also missed numerous tackles, was out of position all day, and was absolutely schooled every time he was matched up on Toomer. Development may take time, but Mr. Whitner has been in the league for almost two full seasons now, and it's time for it to be said.. He sure as hell aint no Sanders, Polamalu, Reed or even Roy Wililams.. He looks like any other safety on any other team in the NFL. There is NOTHING special about him, and that would be fine if it weren't for the fact we picked him 8th overall in the draft. HOW MUCH BETTER WOULD THIS DEFENSE be had we used that pick on Ernie Simms (1 pick later) or Haloti Ngata (4 picks later)? Both players were guys we were considering. I laughed when Detroit took Simms one pick later at the time, I'm not laughing anymore.

JASON PETERS
    If anybody doesn't think Peters should be extended immediately, just look at how this offense looked once he went out with his injury. BEfore they sign a single free agent this offseason, he should be locked up FIRST.

DRAFT GURU???
    I hate to rain on Marv Levy's "draft genius" parade. Don't get me wrong, the crop of Lynch, Poz and Edwards looks incredible right now. But as for 2006 being such a great draft class; Uhhh, not so fast. Donte Whitner is VERY average; John McCargo for whatever reason remains a situational player taken about 25% of the defensive snaps. And Ashton Youboty can't even see the ****ing field. That is NOT good first-day production two years later, when two of those picks were first rounders. Someone explain to me what is so genius about that? Kyle Williams and Keith Ellison also are starting from that class, which leads me to my next topic...

TACKLING
    Absolutely horrific display of tackling for the second straight week. Yes, this defense is intentionally undersized and built for speed; with the design to be able to swarm the ball. But what the hell good is that if you CANNOT TACKLE worth ****? Kyle Williams was pretty much SWARMED away on runs up the middle. Ellison, tipped interception my grandmother could've caught, was irrelevent and missed tackles yet again. DiGiorgio missed his fair share to and Leonhard tackled like **** too. That was inexcusable. That defense played like they were SCARED of Jacobs today.

NUMBER #2 WR?
    All season long I've been pleading for us to get a legit #2 WR this offseason. Turns out we may need a number ONE WR this offseason. Lee Evans is a good WR, and at times he's VERY good. But he is far from an elite WR in this league. That ball he dropped that led to the backbreaking INT TD return was horrible. There's been not just drives or quarters, but GAMES where this guy can't get open. One thing is for certain; he's no Steve Smith, Moss, Owens, Harrison, Wayne, etc. He makes the big plays every now and then, but they almost always come against the chumps of this league. When has he showed up against a good team this year? It's not his fault entirely, I'm well aware of that. We DO need more quality weapons around him. But Ive been watching him very close, and he's not double teamed as much as people think, yet he still isn't getting open. Maybe with another solid WR next to him he'll be better, but he's been a huge dissapointment this year.

TRENT EDWARDS
    I was scared that this kind of game would happen to him today, yet I can't say Im' surprised. Myself and judging by today's comments, a lot of you forget that he is a ROOKIE QUARTERBACK. Generally, rookie QB's make mistakes more than they should and today he was no exception. I'm not bothered by the three picks. I"m bothered by the way he bounced back from the first interception. The ball went off Evans and was returned for a TD. I expected him to bounce back sharp but today he didn't. He went into a mental funk and threw some terrible footballs after that. HIs stats were brutal, and they weren't helped out by an inexplicible amount of drops.

It was alarming to see such night and day in one game. On the first two drives he looked like the best QB in the NFL. For the balance of the day following, he played by far his worst game ever. I'm not going to get too down on him, because I like him and think he's going to be a very good quarterback. There's not a QB who's ever laced them up who hasn't had some games like this. I'm more interested in seeing how he regroups.

I am concerned about one thing long-term though. I'm not sure he looks at all comfortable in cold weather and bad conditions. I hope to GOd that's something that he gets better with as he becomes more acclimated to Buffalo.

COVER TWO
    Throw the ****ing defense out the window this offseason, PLEASE!!! Here's a memo to Dick, Marv and Perry. Wind, Rain, Snow, Slush, Hail, etc NEGATE speed and this defense is supposedly built for "speed." Guess what, this is the Buffalo Bills, not the Arizona Cardinals. You're going to see plenty of weather like this every year and it's never going to change.

POOR PERSONNEL MOVE
    It seemed so inconsequential at the time, but not bringing back last year's long snapper (Shneck- spelling?) is really biting us in the ass now. Neil has blown two punt snaps in back to back weeks that have REALLY hurt us. I truly feel going by the Giants body language at 14-0, if that snapped to Moorman isnt' blown, and we don't let them get back into the game, that we win this game going away. Neil is a chumpstain.

LYNCH
    Why did we stop throwing the ball to him? After 14 games I thought we finally figured out that he can be a weapon. There is nothing about this kid I don't like. He's going to be a Pro Bowler.

GAME BALL
    As annoying as this game was; I have to give out at least one game ball. My ball goes to Langston Walker, who I thought OWNED Michael Strahan all day long.

SUMMARY:
    What a ****ing mess. We have NOT looked like a Buffalo team the last two weeks. Our guys have played like we're a Florida team that cringes playing in bad weather. Bad throws, dropped balls all over the place and putrid tackling. This is NOT how a Buffalo team should be built.

Basically, this team right now is where they should be. They beat up on the cellar dwellars of the league, and they get smoked by the better teams in the league. I think that's par for the course, because I think it's where our talent level is currently at.

It comes down to this offseason and how badly Wilson actually wants to win. If we don't invest in a few guys on defense much better at getting to the quarterback and tackling the runner, our defense won't see much improvement; with or without Poz and Ko Simpson. They need to get a much better 1-gap DT than K. Williams (who gets punked off by strong running teams, see last two weeks) and they need a much better playmaker at OLB than Keith Ellison. Ellison and Williams are extraordinarily average and Ralph needs to open up the walletbook to get better.

Offensively, we just simply don't ****ing catch the ball well or get open consistently. It couldn't be any more clear than that. We need playmakers on offense besides Evans and Lynch, that's simply not enough. Whether be via FA with ESTABLISHED talent or in round one of the draft (or both actually), they need to get weapons here. Hopefully that along with a O.C. who's head hasn't been in Colorado State all season will improve a unit that frankly SUCKS this year.
    Last edited by patmoran2006; 12-23-2007, 06:45 PM.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Giants SPANK Bills. My GAME THOUGHTS

and btw, is Schobel simply satisfied with the monster contract? Or is there another reason he's having a for the most part, an irrelevent year? I don't see any more or less double teaming on him than years past.

Comment

• Bufftp
      Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Re: My Thoughts on the Giants DEBACLE

QB DisasterC/ATTcomp % YDSAVGTDINT
      T. Edwards9/2634.62%1616.223
      Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
      "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
      Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
      - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
      to be led by permanent ideals -
      that is what keeps a man patient
      when the world ignores him,
      and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Bufftp
        QB DisasterC/ATTcomp % YDSAVGTDINT
        T. Edwards9/2634.62%1616.223
        Are you trying to same something? If so, so am I.

ROOKIE SEASON STATS
        Peyton Manning: 26 TD, 28 INT, 3739 yards, 52.9%, 3-13 record.
        Troy Aikman: 9 TD, 18 INT, 1749 yards, 56.7%, 1-15 record
        Trent Edwards: 7 TD, 8 INT, 1497 yards, 57.2%, 5-3 record.

Good thing Indy and Dallas didn't dump on their guy after one season. Not saying Edwards is a future HOF'er like these guys, but he's a ROOKIE! Did you expect him to have Tom Brady numbers with a lack of talent around him, nonetheless?

Comment

• Bufftp
          Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

No pat my point is TE sucked today.
          I do not think he is the answer. For that matter this staff and the last two cannot develop a QB.
          Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
          "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
          Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
          - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
          to be led by permanent ideals -
          that is what keeps a man patient
          when the world ignores him,
          and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Bufftp
            No pat my point is TE sucked today.
            I do not think he is the answer. For that matter this staff and the last two cannot develop a QB.
            I think he played badly today in the second half, as did a lot of players. He was really, really bad in fact today, but haven't said that. I haven't seen nowhere near enough to say he's not the answer long-term.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Hey, I just mentioned a lot of the same things in a new thread. You beat me by about 45 min, but it took me 1.5 hours to type mine.

I agree on nearly everything you typed. Except, I'm not as opimistic about Trent.

Very Nice Post.

Edit: "GAME BALL
              As annoying as this game was; I have to give out at least one game ball. My ball goes to Langston Walker, who I thought OWNED Michael Strahan all day long."

Nice catch. Was Strahan even mentioned once?
              Last edited by yordad; 12-23-2007, 09:55 PM.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

If you could JUST get a copy of this into Jauron's hands and have him give his reply...........
                MAN that would be good.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

I think early in the game Edwards was comfortable, poised and making the right reads. Evidence is patiently waiting to the last second to dump the ball off to Lynch on the screen, waiting for Evans to get open on the first pass of the game, adn the excellent last second checkdown to Gaines that went for about 18 yards.

After Peters went down, and especially after the first interception; for the first time this year I saw him looked a bit un-nerved. He started rushing a lot more passes (maybe out of lack of confidence in pass block, dunno) and he was forcing a lot down the field, which is very uncharacteristic of the way he's played this year.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

I like how you completely destroy Fairchild, Fewell, Whitner, and Levy in your post, but for Edwards its a well you know he's a rookie. Call a spade a spade, the kid flat out sucked today rookie or no rookie. He looked worst than unnerved after those first two drives and that really bothers me. I dont know many QB's who go from on fire to poo on a stick that fast. Yes the elements didnt, help and the playcalling blew but his passes looked like crap a lot of the time and play calling had nothing to do with that. He floated some, he short armed some, he didnt set his feet, he read the defense wrong. The one with Parrish I gotta put on Parrish though, you dont sell inside like that and then make the adjustment up the field without letting the QB know. Also Evans has gotta catch that ball that went for a TD, those two cannot be put on Trent. Point is I expect the Buffalo Bills QB to play at a certain level rookie or no rookie, I judged JP the same way and will continue to do the same to Trent. People who use excuses like he's a rookie, or the weather sucked, are just saying those because he's a favorite player of theirs.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Trent did suck today.
                      But it IS a legitimate excuse to use a rookie label when the kid is playing against a good front seven, losing his pro bowl left tackle, and a flood of drops by WR's, when there even able to get open to begin with. To top it off, we have our "best" WR basically give them 7 points.

I'm not going to throw him under the bus for having a bad game when few players if any did anything to help him out.

As for the coaches, their game plan sucked on both sides of the ball, and its an ONGOING problem.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        Trent did suck today.
                        But it IS a legitimate excuse to use a rookie label when the kid is playing against a good front seven, losing his pro bowl left tackle, and a flood of drops by WR's, when there even able to get open to begin with. To top it off, we have our "best" WR basically give them 7 points.

I'm not going to throw him under the bus for having a bad game when few players if any did anything to help him out.

As for the coaches, their game plan sucked on both sides of the ball, and its an ONGOING problem.

Yea yea yea, say what you want about legitimizing this or that, fact is that this kid has not played like a rookie until these past two weeks and was widely hearlded on these board for it, yet he regresses and all the sudden the rookie label comes out? How about we pick a way of critiquing the kid and stick with it? Ive been very clear since the beginning about how I will evaluate the kids play. Ive seen him for 3 years prior to the NFL and I think I know what to expect from him. So as for him being a rookie, that does not really matter to me, he's already proven the tag doesnt fit.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Akhippo
                          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          Point is I expect the Buffalo Bills QB to play at a certain level rookie or no rookie.
                          Thats a problem right there. Rookie play is night and day different than even second year guys. Thats just a fact that if ignored is blind ignorance. People give receivers three years, but a qb cant even get half a year?

And usually a qb doesnt look on fire accidentally. The fact that he even looked that good is a good thing. The way he was getting hit all game probably gave him happy feet. Not that that is a good thing, but he was taking shots to the chest.
                          Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• Crisis
                            • Aug 2004

The problem is we have two rookie quarterbacks and only one is actually a rookie.
                            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                            Vanek is Austrian not European
                            Originally posted by Prov401
                            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                            Originally posted by better days
                            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Akhippo
                              Thats a problem right there. Rookie play is night and day different than even second year guys. Thats just a fact that if ignored is blind ignorance. People give receivers three years, but a qb cant even get half a year?

And usually a qb doesnt look on fire accidentally. The fact that he even looked that good is a good thing. The way he was getting hit all game probably gave him happy feet. Not that that is a good thing, but he was taking shots to the chest.
                              SOME people give WR's three years to develop, and thats not when they show the same play that this kid did to start their career. This is different, Edwards was widely known going into the Draft as one of the more NFL ready QB's. He was smart, quick release, good size, enough arm strength, and had plenty of experience. He was pretty much maxed out potential wise.

Sorry I dont jump up and down or run around my house doing cartwheels when a rookie has a good game, or decide to annoit him the next franchise QB. All he's doing for me is meeting expectations. Call me ignorant if you want, but I disagree with you.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X