PDA

View Full Version : Moran's Monday Morning Quarterback

patmoran2006
12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I had plenty of comments following yesterday's Bills game, in particular on Donte Whitner, and I got a lot of feedback that I was overreacting.

While I'll be the first to admit I have a tendancy to overreact, I don't think I have with Whitner at all.

The reality is he's played 31 games now, and he's been no more important to this secondary than McGee, Greer or even George Wilson. How many games have you seen Whitner and said to yourself "wow, this guy is a great football player?"

If had been a third, second or maybe even late round first pick it would be one thing. But the bottom line is he was the 8th overall pick in the draft, and I've seen absolutely NOTHING from him that shows me he even remotely deserves it. And don't tell me draft position doesn't matter because it does. Whitner is being paid like a franchise safety, and he's played like pretty much any other safety on any other team in the NFL. That's not good enough.

Sure, he has a lot of tackles. But how many big interceptions has he had? How many big sacks? How many big tackles for losses at critical parts of the game? How many big pass breakups? Say what you want. I say he's been extrordinarily average.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm also baffled and frankly, disgusted at the amount of negativity towards Trent Edwards. I've even heard a few people say that we need to find a quarterback like Donavan McNab this offseason.

I say that talk is crazy. Firstly, does anyone have any idea financially what that price tag would do to this franchise? Secondly, Edwards has played for the most part, fine; especially for a rookie.

Look, Jerry Sullivan in his column said it best. It doesn't matter if its Jim Kelly, Dan Marino or Alex Van Pelt behind center. December football in Buffalo is about the trenches. That's where we are woefully weak. Top that off with this fact: I don't think even if Brady or Manning were here; this offense would be that good with our collection of WR's and a chicken-**** offensive coordinator in Fairchild.

Does Edwards need to improve? Absolutely he does. He's struggled heavily at times over the past two weeks. But the first quarter yesterday was evidence of what Edwards can do when the offense is opened up and unpredictable, and guys actually make the catches. When you look at the overall team needs this offseason, I think Edwards is the least of their problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone doubts what kind of worth Jason Peters is to this team, remember what happened to the offense once he went down. I said it earlier this week and I'll say it again now; before the Bills sign a player this offseason, Peters should be locked up for the money he deserves, for a very long time. I think along with Chris Samuels (Washington) he's become as good as it gets at the position in this league.
Lost in the shuffle of so many bad things yesterday was the play of Langston Walker. He absolutely manhandled Michael Strahan. At the time I thought it was ridiculous to give someone of his track record $5 million per year. Now I'm thinking that's a bargain. When Walker plays like this, they're are few if any better tackle tandems in the NFL than Buffalo's.
What will it take for John McCargo to start getting more playing time. He's being used as a shortyardage/goal line DT and that's it. Absurd. He makes two huge goal-line stops and on the next drive I don't see him again until it's 3rd and 1 inside our 25-yard line. I don't see anyway he shouldn't be starting full-time next year. It's hard to evaluate a guy when he doesn't play enough, but it seems to me he's made plenty of big plays this year in limited playing time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Kyle Williams and Keith Ellison are nice depth players, but I don't think either should be starting next season if this defense is to take the next step. As a matter of fact, I think these two positions should be the top priority defensively this offseason.

The Bills need a DT who can play alongside McCargo, who if he does nothing else clogs up the lanes in the middle and helps a putrid run defense. At Ellison's spot, the team needs someone badly who can actually make plays. Ellison is terrible at tackling; being run over by Vince Young in the preseason was a sign of things to come.

Lance Briggs would be the obvious answer; though I doubt highly Wilson will pour that kind of money into a player outside the organization. However, It would be a signing that could put the defense over the top on its way to respectability. A linebacking tandem of Briggs, Crowell and a healthy Poz would signify one of the stronger front sevens in the league, and if nothing else this year we're learning the importance of being able to contain running backs in December.

There are no marqee wide receivers in this year's free agent market, and outside of Albert Haynesworth (who Tennessee will surely not let go) nobody on the market could help this defense more than Briggs.
I've talked about Briggs. Now I want to talk about the guy who would help the offense more than any player on the market. Dallas Clark.

It's easy to see when watching Trent Edwards play how much this offense would improve with a play-making tight end. He would open the offense up and be a reliable target for Trent, who loves to go to his tight end. As much as I want to see an improvement at wide receiver over Reed (as a starter), I think that talent could be found early in the draft. Clark is a guy that would help immensely from day one, and with Indy surely being focused on resigning Bob Sanders it's near certain he's going to be on the market shortly. The feeling here is Clark would be more valuable than any wide receiver we're capable of landing.

Cap-room wise, Buffalo could land both these prizes. It's up to Wilson and how committed he really is to having a championship contender type of team in Buffalo. Rather than signing a bunch of free agents, concentrate on just the two of them.

The advantage Buffalo has this year it hasn't in other years is they don't have crucial free agents of their own to resign. In fact, led by Anthony Hargrove (who I'd like to resigned) this the weakest overall crop of our own free agents we've had in years. There's no free agent we have hitting the market that's crucial to resign.

Couple that with the 3rd most cap-room in the league puts them in a position to go after these guys. I think this offseason should be about quality over quantity. Again, that falls on Wilson and his committment to getting two more impact guys in town.

If we could sign Briggs and Clark, again EXTREMELY reasonable given the cap situation, and find a mid-level defensive tackle who's strength is against the run, combine that with another solid draft and this is a legitimate playoff contender.

Wys Guy
12-24-2007, 10:44 AM
McCargo made two plays yesterday Pat, two. Not a play more.

He didn't just come in for those two plays either. McCargo has proven time and time again that he cannot play a full game solidly.

So many put so much emphasis on a play or two every game. Impact players, Pro Bowl caliber players, show up for 80+% of a game and typically dominate and make many solid plays in a game. McCargo is clearly not in that category or even close.

It's much easier to come in for spot duty or as part of a four or five-man rotation for two positions and put up a big play in front of a home crowd with high energy. It's entirely another to outperform you peers lining up across from you on a regular basis making yourself one of the better players in the league.

The Bills rely, and heavily, on their dumbassed rotation of highly paid players and high draftees, and that should be reaping tremendous benefits if the players were actually a fraction of what the dunderheaded brain trust said they'd be given the freshness that each of them is allowed to maintain due to this idiotic rotational system that we use.

IMO the verdict is that it is woefully lacking in both design as well as performance and that we'd be much better suited going back to a system that essentially uses two F/T starters at both the DTs and DEs with only players replacing them on occasion for a rest.

Frankly, while everyone has decreed a new defense, none, not one of the starters on our F4 was new this season nor even more than a backup rotational type or so. Even our LBs, we started with Crowell and Ellison who did start some of last season, with only our MLB spot new. Yet, we are far worse as a D. How come? It isn't all DiGiorgio sorry to report.

In terms of impact players on our team, being defined as types that show up for virtually every game and make many plays in each game, we have few if any on O or D.

On D I'd say that the closest we have is probably Whitner with Schobel's having fallen off the map proving the predictable notion that you can't be a grat DE in the NFL at 240 lbs, a big shocker for some I realize.

Not one LB we have, not one DT, and no other DE is even close. There isn't anyone in the secondary either and frankly, Whitner isn't either and you've done a great job of stating that.

Offensively, the Peters/Dockery tandem has been disappointing to say the least. Ditto there for impact players. I, many, thought that Evans was, and he may be. But if he is, then what does that say for the coaching staff from the top down. Not much.

Moorman is our big impact player. How nice, the punter.

Kerr
12-24-2007, 10:47 AM
McCargo is good. Tripps and Williams are backup material. Corey Williams would be an upgrade.

venis2k1
12-24-2007, 10:50 AM
signing a 25 year old pro bowl left tackle isnt gonna come cheap...but peters deserves ever penny. after paying dockery $49M this offseason, thats gonna be alot of scratch tied up on the left side of that line(not a bad thing though)

Dr. Lecter
12-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Offensively, the Peters/Dockery tandem has been disappointing to say the least. Ditto there for impact players. I, many, thought that Evans was, and he may be. But if he is, then what does that say for the coaching staff from the top down. Not much.

Calling Peters "Dissappointing" is a clear indiciation that you are not kidding when you say you don't watch the games.

How can you evaluate his play when you admitelly don't watch the team?

Dr. Lecter
12-24-2007, 10:52 AM
The reality is he's played 31 games now, and he's been no more important to this secondary than McGee, Greer or even George Wilson. How many games have you seen Whitner and said to yourself "wow, this guy is a great football player?"

He has been world's better than those three players. Clearly. Far and away.

djjimkelly
12-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Look, Jerry Sullivan in his column said it best. It doesn't matter if its Jim Kelly, Dan Marino or Alex Van Pelt behind center. December football in Buffalo is about the trenches. That's where we are woefully weak. Top that off with this fact: I don't think even if Brady or Manning were here; this offense would be that good with our collection of WR's and a chicken-**** offensive coordinator in Fairchild.

i just love how edwards gets a pass about the wrs and offensive coordinator but somehow JP was supposed to rise above it all

YardRat
12-24-2007, 11:04 AM
It's been unfortunate for Donte personally that he's been thrust into a situation where he's playing along with an under-athletic MLB and a revolving door at the other safety position. Last year he was a rookie. I'm looking forward to how he performs next year with (hopefully) Poz and Simpson in the line-up again.

Trent will be fine, and he's shown more than enough this year to give the team hope that he will eventually become at the very least a solid starter.

Peters should be re-signed to Dockery money, at least.

Walker has been solid against the pass and RT should no longer be an area of concern, but I'd still like to see the entire unit develop into a more dominate squad when running the ball.

We need another DT, but not just another fat-ass. Someone with size and quickness is necessary.

DiG may still be a starter next year, depending on Poz's development, and Ellison should be a back-up. Briggs would be nice, but if he isn't signed at the stroke of midnight forget about him.

Clark would be nice also, but if we have to throw the bank at him and Briggs and call it a day I don't know if I'd go for that. Still like to see a #2 WR and DT brought in via FA also.

shelby
12-24-2007, 11:06 AM
i just love how edwards gets a pass about the wrs and offensive coordinator but somehow JP was supposed to rise above it all
In fairness, this is Trent's rookie season. JP had four seasons to get it together and showed that he could not.

YardRat
12-24-2007, 11:07 AM

JP was one of the problems. That one is fixed now.

Fairchild is history. Fixed.

Hopefully we upgrade at WR and TE, and the o-line continues to improve.

Tatonka
12-24-2007, 11:23 AM
great post pat.. i agree with just about everything.

djjimkelly
12-24-2007, 11:32 AM
In fairness, this is Trent's rookie season. JP had four seasons to get it together and showed that he could not.

in fairness JP didnt ever have a pass protecting o line of this caliber

also these wrs are a joke.

also the 2006 bills would destroy the 2007 bills

we beat alot of bad teams this year i doubt we play this many bad teams in one season again for 10 years

and i refuse to buy the fact edwards was such a wish for this GM or coaching staff considering how we came to acquire him.

its way too cooincidental that JP calls out the OC between week 2 and 3 and then has issues being back on the field.

once again its not that i want JP back as qb i want someone completely new now considering this GM and staff have ruined JP for buffalo.

but trent will never be the one i saw it from the start others are getting to see it now.

i truly wish we didnt have to look for a qb in draft or FA the truth is we have to in a big way. problem is a big time wr is what we need as option 1A

feelthepain
12-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I think a big time "clutch" WR and a two way TE would do Edwards a world of good. I think your Oline will be better next year. Your secondary is very suspect and so are your LB's and your Dline is smallish...but quick. I think the Bills need more talent not youth, however if they can get both that's a good thing. Your QB may not be Brady or Favre, but he is better then anyone you've had behind center since Kelly. If your owner would just take the plunge, the Bills could be a playoff team, although I'm not crazy about your HC.

colin
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
i know our interior blocking is not as good as we'd like, and our DTs are not great, but they are not a real weakness compared to our other positions.

to me the biggest thing is we are just not big and tough at wr and lb.

those are the positions that make the most plays (wr's catch most the passes, lbs make most the tackles, and in our d they cover as well). evans is good at times, and crowell is good at times. even donte (who had some horrible mistakes in the game) is an impactful player when he charges in and stuffs a run, but on dozens of routine plays opponents get first downs, completions, or big runs when our LBs take bad angles and flat out miss tackles.

our d produces a lot of negative plays, we also jam up plenty of runs at the line and swarm over short passes. the problem is if we don't out scheme the opponent we just suck. our LBs just can't shed a block and make a play, or cut into a lane and wrap up a guy. they don't get enough depth on a regular basis and although i'll keep crowell, dipizza and ellison are both really bad players.

in the secondary we lost clements and ko, and replaced them with some pretty bad players, that's why our pass D (along with bad lb play) is so awful. we are better this year against the run, that is on the scheme being more aggressive and our D line isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is.

on O we obviously suck, but to me the biggest thing is our WRs are a friggen joke. they can't outjump anyone, they can't go accross the middle, and they don't have good hands. reed and evans dropped easy passes all year, and while they look like players when they catch a fluke or are wide open and get a perfect pass, every team we play ignores any passing threat and just plays aggressive with lots of guys near the line.

i think we need to draft, trade, or sing in FA at least one WR and one LB.

patmoran2006
12-24-2007, 01:24 PM
in fairness JP didnt ever have a pass protecting o line of this caliber

also these wrs are a joke.

also the 2006 bills would destroy the 2007 bills

we beat alot of bad teams this year i doubt we play this many bad teams in one season again for 10 years

and i refuse to buy the fact edwards was such a wish for this GM or coaching staff considering how we came to acquire him.

its way too cooincidental that JP calls out the OC between week 2 and 3 and then has issues being back on the field.

once again its not that i want JP back as qb i want someone completely new now considering this GM and staff have ruined JP for buffalo.

but trent will never be the one i saw it from the start others are getting to see it now.

i truly wish we didnt have to look for a qb in draft or FA the truth is we have to in a big way. problem is a big time wr is what we need as option 1A

JP did have a O-line is this pass protecting calibre. He had it THIS year and with far more experience than Edwards. He did NOTHING with it. The game against Jacksonville in essence ended his Bills career, and it's the way he deserved to go out; clueless, rattled and largely ineffective.

I agree the WR's are a joke, but whether I do or not they're the same for both QB's.

The 2006 Bills wouldn't destroy the 2007 Bills or any future Bills team. The O-Line is better this year and so are the running backs (far and away). The defense sucked last year WITH Clements, Fletch and Spikes.

And lastly, if the team wasn't very high on Edwards, they wouldn't have drafted him. Apparently, at least by public opinion, QB wasn't a need. We needed corners, linebackers and all kinds of ****, yet Levy still drafted Levy. That SHOULD confirm what you still don't realize; that Losman isn't a very good NFL quarterback. If you take nothing else away from this season; take solace in that the quarterback position will be far more stable with a more experience Edwards.

patmoran2006
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
McCargo made two plays yesterday Pat, two. Not a play more.
Why are you disputing something that I already said? I said in this thread and the one yesterday that he's NOT getting the playing time.

He didn't just come in for those two plays either. McCargo has proven time and time again that he cannot play a full game solidly.
Has he? Or are the coaches proving that playing a rotation system to THIS extent is stupid when you're best players are on the bench. This has driven me crazy all year long. I see Schobel and especially McCargo on the bench FAR too often.

So many put so much emphasis on a play or two every game. Impact players, Pro Bowl caliber players, show up for 80+% of a game and typically dominate and make many solid plays in a game. McCargo is clearly not in that category or even close.
You can't help but put so much emphasis on a play or two every game, when the guy is only playing a few series worth of snaps. Without even needing to look up the stats, I GUARENTEE you McCargo leads this team in tackles per losses percentage based on the amount of snaps he's seen, and I bet it's not even close.

It's much easier to come in for spot duty or as part of a four or five-man rotation for two positions and put up a big play in front of a home crowd with high energy. It's entirely another to outperform you peers lining up across from you on a regular basis making yourself one of the better players in the league.

The Bills rely, and heavily, on their dumbassed rotation of highly paid players and high draftees, and that should be reaping tremendous benefits if the players were actually a fraction of what the dunderheaded brain trust said they'd be given the freshness that each of them is allowed to maintain due to this idiotic rotational system that we use.
I agree about the rotational system. I like it to an extent, but I believe this staff abuses it. Schobel makes what, $7-8 million per year now? He should be out there 85-90% of the time, not 60-65%.

IMO the verdict is that it is woefully lacking in both design as well as performance and that we'd be much better suited going back to a system that essentially uses two F/T starters at both the DTs and DEs with only players replacing them on occasion for a rest.

Frankly, while everyone has decreed a new defense, none, not one of the starters on our F4 was new this season nor even more than a backup rotational type or so. Even our LBs, we started with Crowell and Ellison who did start some of last season, with only our MLB spot new. Yet, we are far worse as a D. How come? It isn't all DiGiorgio sorry to report.
We're not worse as a run defense. The run defense was among the worst EVER last year. Sadly, it's shown little improvement, especially down the stretch. You fail to mention perhaps the biggest reason for that, and that's a critical need for a better run-stuffing 1-gap DT than Kyle Williams.

In terms of impact players on our team, being defined as types that show up for virtually every game and make many plays in each game, we have few if any on O or D.
The majority of our best players on this team are only in their first or second season. That takes time. Maybe a small handful of rookies come into the league and leave a big mark right out the gate. How has Edwards done as a rookie QB compared to the other "big name" rookies that went ahead of him such as Russell, Quinn and Beck? He's made a big impact in that the team was finally able to send Losman to the bench permanently. Marshawn Lynch has run for over 1,000 yards as a rookie, despite missing 3 games due to injury and everybody in the stadium knowing he's the guy to key on each week. Do you think his YPC will increase if we get an actual threat of a strong passing game? Poz was 2nd in the NFL in tackles through the first few weeks before breaking his forearm. Those are all ROOKIES. Last but not least, name me 3 tackles in the NFL that are better than Jason Peters.

On D I'd say that the closest we have is probably Whitner with Schobel's having fallen off the map proving the predictable notion that you can't be a grat DE in the NFL at 240 lbs, a big shocker for some I realize.
Schobel would be better with a better NT next to him. I think Donte Whitner is very average. Angelo Crowell is far and away the most consistent defender on this team. It's not even close. I'm certain Poz's return next year will leave us fine at MLB.

Not one LB we have, not one DT, and no other DE is even close. There isn't anyone in the secondary either and frankly, Whitner isn't either and you've done a great job of stating that.
IF he were a free agent, I'd be willing to bet Crowell would fetch close to the deal Adalius Thomas got from New England in the open market.

Not sure what you're watching here. Again, Peters is one of the BEST tackles in football. I'd put him right in the Chris Samuels category. Did you see him manhandle Osi yesterday with no help before getting hurt? He OWNED Jason Taylor twice this year. He routinely lines up against the best pass rusher and doesn't get/need any help. Again, put him on the open market right now and he'd probably be the SINGLE HIGHEST paid free agent this year. As for Dockery, he's looked decent but not for the money he was paid. To be fair, the way the organization was last year NOBODY was coming to this team for just "market value". Overpaying was a necessity. I don't know if that will change this year, I hope so.

I actually think Moorman's had his worst year in at least the past three to four years...But again, if you're saying Lynch and Peters aren't are big impact players right now, you're not trying to watch the games. See what happened to the offense when Peters went out yesterday? THAT'S impact right there.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2007, 02:03 PM
The Bills gave up 291 rushing yards yesterday. Their whole D-line sucks. Including Schobel. It's time to fix the D-line. Linebacker play will improve with a better D-line. Secondary play will improve with a better pass rush from the D-line.

It all starts and ends with the line. I don't care if you have Urlacher, Briggs, Poz, and Moses at LB, with this line infront of them they would still blow.

raphael120
12-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Pathetic part is we keep drafting to fix these holes in the leaking ship and we're doing it with friggen bubble gum. We failed at fixing the Dline position in year one of the Marv era, we fixed the oline for the most part this year.

We play in Buffalo for 8 games, we don't play in a dome, and we have no big bruiser RB and no bruising FB to pave the way for the run game. Our team is built totally wrong.

We can't stop the run, and we can't run the ball effectively.

If Ralph doesn't make a commitment to finally take this team to the next level this offseason, i really can't tell you I'll be very interested in watching this team next year. We have glaring holes at WR, TE, C, DL, DE, LB. We can, in one fail swoop, fix all of those problems this offseason. With all the draft picks we have, all the cap room we have, this team is ready for the next level.

But I for one am tired of seeing this Bills team at the bottom of the league in every statistical category.

I know we have injuries, blah blah blah...but guess what, the Bills only have Peerless Price as the major injury on offense, and I'm sorry, but it's not that big of a loss, and we were just horrid. We went into this season, and I think Ralph even acknowledged this before the season started when he was quoted as sayin "I am suprised that we won 7 games."

So wait Ralph, you didn't think your team was good enough for 7 wins? What does that say about you and the way you run your team when your expectations are so damn low?

Playcalling was horrid, miserable, the only thing we're consistant at is being unbelievably inconsistant.

Dick has shown that this is what we'll get year in and year out...a slow start to the season, beating up on even worse teams than ours, losing to the better teams, and crapping the bed at the end of the season.

it happened last season and it happened this season.

Guess what Dick, you get next year and that's it. I see guys that have done a better job in 3 years than this. It's not like our franchise QB is in jail, it's not like you're not making money, because you sold out every game this season.

This team is just so frustrating that it's getting humorous anymore. When I left the Bills game last night people were laughing, no one was upset. We're just so damn used to this Bills crap it's almost like you're going to a three ring circus instead of a football game.

G. Host
12-24-2007, 05:59 PM
If anyone doubts what kind of worth Jason Peters is to this team, remember what happened to the offense once he went down. I said it earlier this week and I'll say it again now; before the Bills sign a player this offseason, Peters should be locked up for the money he deserves, for a very long time. I think along with Chris Samuels (Washington) he's become as good as it gets at the position in this league.

I realize this is old news but people are still suggesting that he be extended. If you are going to suggest it at least recognize he was already extended.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4575
by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 1/19/2007 11:32 AM ET

"I'm definitely going to show all the fans and the organization what I can do. They gave me the extension and I'm going to show that I was worth it. So I'm going to go out every game and play as hard as I can."

Those were the words of Bills offensive tackle Jason Peters shortly after he signed a five-year extension with Buffalo this past offseason. Now voted by Bills fans as the team's 2006 Unsung Hero, Peters is being recognized for his dominant efforts after becoming the anchor of Buffalo's offensive line.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2519640
Bills sign offensive lineman Peters to extension

Updated: July 14, 2006, 3:54 PM ET

The Buffalo Bills signed offensive right tackle Jason Peters to a contract extension on Friday. Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

patmoran2006
12-24-2007, 11:19 PM
I realize this is old news but people are still suggesting that he be extended. If you are going to suggest it at least recognize he was already extended.

"I'm definitely going to show all the fans and the organization what I can do. They gave me the extension and I'm going to show that I was worth it. So I'm going to go out every game and play as hard as I can."

Those were the words of Bills offensive tackle Jason Peters shortly after he signed a five-year extension with Buffalo this past offseason. Now voted by Bills fans as the team's 2006 Unsung Hero, Peters is being recognized for his dominant efforts after becoming the anchor of Buffalo's offensive line.

The Buffalo Bills signed offensive right tackle Jason Peters to a contract extension on Friday. Terms of the deal were not immediately available.
Im talking BEYOND the $3 million per year he's making right now. I know his contract was redone early in the calender year.

Dr. Lecter
12-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Im talking BEYOND the $3 million per year he's making right now. I know his contract was redone early in the calender year.

First, they can't re-do it until next year.

Second, if he is already undrer contract for five years, the max length of a deal (in terms of spreading a signing bonus, a must with him) is 5 years.

YardRat
12-25-2007, 09:40 AM

I'd forgotten about that.