PDA

View Full Version : The Bright Spot of Sunday's Ass Whupping

patmoran2006
12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Is hopefully Marv and Ralph saw with their own eyes and realize without question that compete with the playoff calibre-teams that we have to go out in free agency and make a couple of key moves to improve our receiving and front seven defensively.

Maybe 1 or 2 weeks ago the organization thought we'd be set and not need to acquire more key talent. HOPEFULLY over the past few weeks they realize that if we're going to be better than a 7-8 win team, moves are going to have to be made.

YardRat
12-24-2007, 02:57 PM
They already know they need to add a few pieces. Whether or not they are able to remains to be seen.

The biggest perceived weakness going into last off-season was the o-line, and they addressed that quickly. Hopefully this year they do the same at WR, DL, or LB.

patmoran2006
12-24-2007, 03:00 PM
They already know they need to add a few pieces. Whether or not they are able to remains to be seen.

The biggest perceived weakness going into last off-season was the o-line, and they addressed that quickly. Hopefully this year they do the same at WR, DL, or LB.
Other than an owner who doesn't give a **** (not saying that's case, we'll certainly find out this winter/spring)---- how would they NOT be able to upgrade some key positions?

They sure as hell have the cap room and unlike other years they don't have to worry nearly as much about their own key free agents.

YardRat
12-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Why does the cheap argument always come up?

The o-line needed upgrading, and it was done expensively. Especially after last year, why would anyone doubt that some money won't be thrown at a couple of guys in key positions?

May not be guys you or someone else thinks is worth it, but that arguments been settled also.

patmoran2006
12-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Why does the cheap argument always come up?

The o-line needed upgrading, and it was done expensively. Especially after last year, why would anyone doubt that some money won't be thrown at a couple of guys in key positions?

May not be guys you or someone else thinks is worth it, but that arguments been settled also.
I didn't say it wouldnt happen. I said there is no legitimate reason for it NOT to.

If this team REALLY wants to contend next year, they'll go out and sign a few big-time starters again like last year (Walker, Dockery both have been huge). The difference between this year and last is that last year in order to do what we did, we had to say goodbye to some key contributors (Fletch and Clements). This year, we don't have to do it.

Go out and fill a couple of the gaping holes via established FA talent. If they do and it doesn't work out, at least Wilson made the effort. Replace DT, WR, TE etc with a bunch of rookies again and you're basically telling the fans yet AGAIN we're looking to get around 7-8 wins next season.

NOT saying break the bank and fill EVERY hole on this team with a marqee free agent. But to take a run at Dallas Clark and a DT or LB who could actually make this front seven adequate isn't too much to ask.

YardRat
12-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Pre-*****ing is just mental masturbation, though. Of course there is no excuse not to go out and sign a couple of guys. Realistically though, Clark and Briggs may not be worth the money they are looking for, (similar to Clements).

We desperately needed help on the o-line. We got it. We needed a RB and a LB. We got them. Hell, nobody went into the season thinking we desperately needed a QB, but we got one of those also. Thank goodness for that little tidbit that went against conventional wisdom.

Have a little faith. We need help in certain areas, that's a given. We'll get it.

T-Long
12-24-2007, 03:56 PM
They've addressed the offensive line last season, which we have to give credit for. Marv did a great job of going out and addressing our biggest need. Another season, another set of needs. Go out and get a WR (in FA or draft...preferably draft), get a pass catching TE, and a linebacker. Ellison looked HORRIBLE yesterday. Digorgio did too, but I know Posz is the starter anyways.

Al the Bills Fan
12-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I think that Marv will be aggresive with free agency in the off season, I am also hopeful for this year's draft as well. I think that last year's draft was awesome for us. I think we are only a strong draft and a couple of decent free agent sigings away from being a really solid team.

I know that i am going to be called a fool for my next statement, but I feel that this year has been a good year for us. The injuries sucked, yes, but we have seen some really good things from this team. I am aware that the team still needs improving, i am not blinding with optimism but i will say that i think this team is moving in the right direction.

jmb1099
12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I think that Marv will be aggresive with free agency in the off season, I am also hopeful for this year's draft as well. I think that last year's draft was awesome for us. I think we are only a strong draft and a couple of decent free agent sigings away from being a really solid team.

I know that i am going to be called a fool for my next statement, but I feel that this year has been a good year for us. The injuries sucked, yes, but we have seen some really good things from this team. I am aware that the team still needs improving, i am not blinding with optimism but i will say that i think this team is moving in the right direction.

I'd have to agree. With a few decent FA moves, a decent draft, and players coming back off injury, we may be in a better position than some realize. Much will depend on our new OC, hopefully we do better than fairchild.

Mahdi
12-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I'd have to agree. With a few decent FA moves, a decent draft, and players coming back off injury, we may be in a better position than some realize. Much will depend on our new OC, hopefully we do better than fairchild.
Hopefully they put all their energy into the draft and forget about FA. Theres only one player I want in FA and that is Corey Williams. Other than that our needs can be filled through the draft. We have 10 or 11 picks and were pretty good at finding gems in the undrafted pool. Save the cap space for the future.