PDA

View Full Version : Giants Moving Past Loss to Niners

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-03-2003, 12:46 AM
I keep getting reminded of it," Barber said. "I'll be walking down the street and someone will come up to me and say, `You guys got robbed.' It happens all the time. Wherever I go, when people recognize me, that's all they talk about, that game. It's New York. They care here.

"I say, `We'll grow from that, we'll learn from that.' It gives you an anticipation for the season, it makes you excited to get back out and prove yourself."

Like Barber, many Giants have vowed to use the disheartening defeat as motivation as they begin to prepare for the 2003 season. Those that do take their cue from coach Jim Fassel, who told them the day after the game, "I still hope you have the dirt from 3Com Park in your mouth, and will keep it there for awhile." Three months after the game, the bitter taste hasn't receded for many of them.

It surfaced for Michael Strahan when he saw 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia and wide receiver Terrell Owens this offseason. Shaun Williams experienced it when he studied tape of himself playing in the game this week in Giants Stadium. For others, it is inescapable because of the questions and comments they frequently get.

And let's face it, that was not the kind of game that will quickly escape the memory bank. With 4:27 remaining in the third period, Matt Bryant's 21-yard field goal gave the Giants a 38-14 lead. But the 49ers then went on a frenzied rally, scoring 25 unanswered points, including a 13-yard pass from Garcia to Tai Streets that gave them a one-point lead with a minute left.

The Giants responded by driving from their own 48 to the San Francisco 23. Bryant set up for what could have been a game-winning 41-yard field goal. But Trey Junkin's snap was low and outside. Holder Matt Allen grabbed the ball and ran to his right before throwing a desperation pass toward Rich Seubert - who was interfered with by Chiki Okeafor, an infraction that was ignored by the officials. The next day, the NFL announced that a penalty should have been called.

Of course, that didn't help the Giants then, and it certainly doesn't diminish the painful memory today.

http://www.giants.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=173261&right_include=/includes/eisens_archive_module.cfm