PDA

View Full Version : Center of Attention

ghz in pittsburgh
12-26-2007, 06:00 AM
I have changed my mind about this in the last two weeks. I said before that they will spend big bucks on a TE or a big WR, and draft Fowler's replacement in the draft for offense this off-season. Now I think they may need to find Melvin's replacement in FA right now.

I noticed that both the Giants and Browns spaced out their D-Linemen more than usual, forcing the Bills O-Linemen to do likewise; then they attacked the gap between the center and guards. I really believe they are after Fowler who has trouble to neutralize strong guys coming out of his stands.

Center is the weakest link of our O-Line.

Center is also the cheapest spot to spend your dollar (maybe until the Bills make history aka Dockery). $3.3 million per can buy one of the top FA center in the market.

Now think about it for a second. If the Bills fail to make any other move on offense other than a top center, they are alreay way ahead. Fisrt, they should be able to run the ball better, even at redzone. Lynch's TD runs are mostly behind Peters and Dockery, or a sweep outside of RT. Just imagine that he can also go behind center, making his point of attack across the line.
Second, it could buy our QB one more second on passing plays, giving our receivers one more second to make their moves.

Run and Stopping the run are the fundamentals Marv and Jauron believe in. The Bills have certainly improved those areas in 2007 from 2006. But they did not improve enough to make playoff, not enough against physical teams. On offense, they are getting close. But they need to complete the deal so that they can run in December, in snow, in rain, and against strong D-Line. This is where a top flight center can do more than a big WR, or a TE.

YardRat
12-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Is there a FA center out there you think is worth that though?

Kerr
12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Jeff Faine is probably the only worthy Center in FA to go after. He's done a fantastic job for the running game and protection of brees. Everyone else after him is probably bench material. Either that or draft the best center in the draft(nick mongold type) who could start right away.

yordad
12-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Jeff Faine is probably the only worthy Center in FA to go after. He's done a fantastic job for the running game and protection of brees. Everyone else after him is probably bench material. Either that or draft the best center in the draft(nick mongold type) who could start right away.There is only one guy in the whole draft that MIGHT be an upgrade. And, the FAs are not studs. Trade Fowler and JP to the Jest for Mangold.

It is a stretch, but it is my only suggestion. Unless of course the new coordinator wants to start Losman.

Goobylal
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
There is only one guy in the whole draft that MIGHT be an upgrade.
Um, who?

BidsJr
12-26-2007, 08:50 PM
There is only one guy in the whole draft that MIGHT be an upgrade. And, the FAs are not studs. Trade Fowler and JP to the Jest for Mangold.

It is a stretch, but it is my only suggestion. Unless of course the new coordinator wants to start Losman.

The really cool thing would be if we could run the Bills like Madden 2008!

:wtf:

Mr. Pink
12-27-2007, 06:24 AM
There is only one guy in the whole draft that MIGHT be an upgrade. And, the FAs are not studs. Trade Fowler and JP to the Jest for Mangold.

Because the Jets would almost do this trade.

And I don't think it's time to write off Kellen Clemens yet.

Not even in Madden do I think this trade would work.

Tatonka
12-27-2007, 08:14 AM
so we keep talking about getting better at center.. but there is really one option, jeff faine, who was a bust prior to going to new orleans.. and no one else...

Charo
12-27-2007, 08:26 AM
draft a wr and a center.

Tatonka
12-27-2007, 08:28 AM
thats the point.. the centers in this years draft are not nick mangold.

madness
12-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Because the Jets would almost do this trade.

And I don't think it's time to write off Kellen Clemens yet.

Not even in Madden do I think this trade would work.

Swap first round picks and it's a lock. You could win the SB in Madden and your 1st rounder would still have more value then the team that finished dead last in the league. It doesn't make any sense but it's so hard not to take advantage of it.

bigbub2352
12-27-2007, 08:50 AM
I agree 100% about Fowler, but i think the answer will lie in the draft not FA, Faine is average at best not much of an upgrade of Fowler, but i do believe u can pull the C out of the draft and they turn out ot be solid as hell, i havent done much research on C yet on the draft but i am sure the top 3 C's comin out will be better than Fowler, so roll the dice and draft one

jpdex12
12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=601 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Free Agents

Albright, Ethan
</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Redskins</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Amano, Eugene</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Titans</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Davis, Rob</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Packers</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Denney, John</TD><TD width=198>RFA</TD><TD width=182>Dolphins</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Dorenbos, Jon</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Eagles</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Faine, Jeff</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Saints</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Hodel, Nathan</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Cardinals</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Katula, Matt</TD><TD width=198>RFA</TD><TD width=182>Ravens</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Kuehl, Ryan</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Giants</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Ladouceur, L.P.</TD><TD width=198>RFA</TD><TD width=182>Cowboys</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>McCollum, Andy</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Rams</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>McKinney, Set</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Browns</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Mruczkowski, Gene</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Dolphins</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Myers, Chris</TD><TD width=198>RFA</TD><TD width=182>Broncos</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Newberry, Jeremy</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Raiders</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Paxton, Lonnie</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Patriots</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Romberg, Brett</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Rams</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Smith, Wade</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Jets</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Stepanovich, Alex</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Bengals</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Tucker, Ross</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Redskins</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Wade, John</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Buccaneers</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=221>Warren, Greg</TD><TD width=198>RFA</TD><TD width=182>Steelers</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Wiegmann, Casey</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Chiefs</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--END ADVPRINT -->

Top 5 seniors in Draft according to Kiper

1. Cody Wallace, Texas A&M
2. Steve Justice, Wake Forest
3. Kory Lichtensteiger, Bowling Green
4. Jeff Cavender, Boise State
5. Dallas Griffin, Texas

Mahdi
12-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Jeff Faine is probably the only worthy Center in FA to go after. He's done a fantastic job for the running game and protection of brees. Everyone else after him is probably bench material. Either that or draft the best center in the draft(nick mongold type) who could start right away.
Nick Mangold is a great pass protector but he cant run block very well. At least thats what ive seen so far. He lacks power. He is a white Fowler.

Mahdi
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I wouldnt mind Casey Wiegmann

raphael120
12-27-2007, 10:35 AM
No I think you stick with the WR and TE route.

Think about how much more the defense is going to respect our passing game. Then we can run at will, and it dont matter if your center blows chunks because we'll have someone open downfield most of the time, having a TE that can read the defense and get in the open zone will alieviate a lot of that.

Tatonka
12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
i agree that we need a TE and a WR.. i just dont see any answer at center to be honest.

Mahdi
12-27-2007, 11:40 AM
I would take Jeremy Newberry in a second.... this guy is the main reason Oakland has been running the ball so well this year. Before he got there they couldnt run the ball at all. He is a real mauler @ 6-5 315 and he's only 31.

njsue
12-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I have changed my mind about this in the last two weeks. I said before that they will spend big bucks on a TE or a big WR, and draft Fowler's replacement in the draft for offense this off-season. Now I think they may need to find Melvin's replacement in FA right now.

I noticed that both the Giants and Browns spaced out their D-Linemen more than usual, forcing the Bills O-Linemen to do likewise; then they attacked the gap between the center and guards. I really believe they are after Fowler who has trouble to neutralize strong guys coming out of his stands.

Center is the weakest link of our O-Line.

Center is also the cheapest spot to spend your dollar (maybe until the Bills make history aka Dockery). $3.3 million per can buy one of the top FA center in the market.

Now think about it for a second. If the Bills fail to make any other move on offense other than a top center, they are alreay way ahead. Fisrt, they should be able to run the ball better, even at redzone. Lynch's TD runs are mostly behind Peters and Dockery, or a sweep outside of RT. Just imagine that he can also go behind center, making his point of attack across the line.
Second, it could buy our QB one more second on passing plays, giving our receivers one more second to make their moves.

Run and Stopping the run are the fundamentals Marv and Jauron believe in. The Bills have certainly improved those areas in 2007 from 2006. But they did not improve enough to make playoff, not enough against physical teams. On offense, they are getting close. But they need to complete the deal so that they can run in December, in snow, in rain, and against strong D-Line. This is where a top flight center can do more than a big WR, or a TE.

I agree totally!

Michael82
12-27-2007, 04:33 PM
No matter how many times we discuss it, I still drool at the possibility of adding Dallas Clark to the team. :drool:

HHURRICANE
12-27-2007, 05:01 PM
I would be shocked if Fowler doesn't remain our center next year.

Oaf
12-27-2007, 11:34 PM
I would take Jeremy Newberry in a second.... this guy is the main reason Oakland has been running the ball so well this year. Before he got there they couldnt run the ball at all. He is a real mauler @ 6-5 315 and he's only 31.
Newberry is not a bad idea. We've done surprisingly well with former Raider lineman too.

Kerr
12-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Newberry wouldn't be bad to bring in for competition.