PDA

View Full Version : Bye, Bye Chains?? Hello Laser Technology.

RedEyE
04-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Proposal: Laser replaces NFL chain gang
By Larry Weisman, USA TODAY

Coaches talk to quarterbacks through speakers in their helmets. They fax photos from the press box to the field to better analyze defenses. But what happens when a team closes in on a first down? Out trots the chain gang, bearing its low-tech implements to measure 10 hard-earned yards.

Pat Summerall wants to see the game move forward. The longtime NFL broadcaster (and former player), in conjunction with First Down Laser Systems (www.firstdownlaser.com), spoke to NFL officials last week in Phoenix about a new system of a different stripe — a green stripe projected from an in-stadium bank of lasers to mark the line to gain for first downs. (The players can actually see the line on the field.) link (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2003-04-03-first-down-laser_x.htm)

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2003-04-02-inside-laser.jpghttp://www.firstdownlaser.com/images/517_lineup.jpg
http://www.firstdownlaser.com/images/322_Player%20first%20down.jpghttp://www.firstdownlaser.com/images/224_Over%20line.JPG

shelby
04-03-2003, 04:35 AM
That is :angry:ing cool!

RedEyE
04-03-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by shelby
That is :angry:ing cool!

Isn't it?

I think that it would be a positive change on the field.

.............unless of course your the guy that gets paid to move the chains.

shelby
04-03-2003, 04:45 AM
:rofl:

EM Bills Fan 80
04-03-2003, 05:45 AM
That is really sweet

Tatonka
04-03-2003, 07:55 AM
you know there would be more first downs.. if players could see it on the field..

Mr. Miyagi
04-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Yeah that would be very cool. I have always thought that the stupid chain thing is as inaccurate as they come. I mean, get with the modern world here!

By the way, what team is that in the pictures? The uni looks nice.

Ingtar33
04-03-2003, 09:56 AM
The idea wouldn't fly because the NFL has to be assured that...

a) its flawless (or at least more accurate, and as consistent as the chains)
b) it will work in all conditions... unfortunately lasers are very weather sensitive... imagine this system used during a buffalo snow storm? It probably wouldn't work.
c) it has to be glitch free (something that could take years to work out... you'll see it field tested in NFL Europe or the AFL)
d) it has to be relatively cheap and maintenance free... most owners are surprising tightwads, and wouldn't want to pay the upkeep on an "expensive" system.

It does look cool though… maybe they can find a way to make it work.

The Spaz
04-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Man the REFS are getting there arses handed to them aren't they go to replay and now this, it is good though. The Refs can't F things up alot anymore. This is really cool I hope that it happens. Go Bills!

BillsNYC
04-03-2003, 10:07 AM
i bet the ref union would never let it pass

venis2k1
04-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
By the way, what team is that in the pictures? The uni looks nice.

Thats the AFL's Dallas Desporatos

The Spaz
04-03-2003, 10:09 AM
I don't really think the Ref union has a say on this if the NFL agress with it then it stays. I think the Ref union just has input on pay, health and things of that nature. Go Bills!

venis2k1
04-03-2003, 10:14 AM
http://staging.bigbuzz.com/firstdown/firstdown2/

Check out the cool little remote the refs get to use....

venis2k1
04-03-2003, 10:16 AM
I just want to say that i think its a good idea. And that i think its ironic that Pat Summerall is pushing for this change.

The Spaz
04-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Oh man that is really cool, we should go to this system! Go Bills!

lordofgun
04-03-2003, 10:39 AM
I read about this technology. Last I knew the NFL was cold to it because they said the average fan WANTS the old guys to trot the chains out. They said it added more drama and human element to the game that they didn't want to take out...

I wish I could find the link....

The Spaz
04-03-2003, 10:41 AM
F the old men with their petty chains!:) Go Bills!

WG
04-03-2003, 10:42 AM
I think it's awesome. Anything to take the game away from the refs!

Agree w/ Ingtar that it may not fly all the time, but differ in that it could be used when possible. As long as one team didn't have an advantage for the game. Just like headsets or heaters and the like. But this would be venue dependent where both teams are playing and subject to its availability.

I could still see a need for the "chain gang" since it would also help to see along the sidelines where the "sticks" are in case the view of the line is blocked by player orientation on the field, players, or for whatever reason.

What would be even cooler is if they could implant a chip inside the football, which I'm sure is entirely possible, and then have the position of the ball on the field be determined by a sensor of some sort. That would end dubious placements. All that would have to be figured out is how to signal or figure out where the ball is at the time the play dies and the players is down.

WG
04-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I read about this technology. Last I knew the NFL was cold to it because they said the average fan WANTS the old guys to trot the chains out. They said it added more drama and human element to the game that they didn't want to take out...

I wish I could find the link....

Maybe they should get the "round girls" from boxing to come out then.

WTH wants to see a bunch of geezers wheezing as they risk angina heading out to bring the chains! :D

Don't know about the rest of you, but that's why I go to games, to watch "the old guys to trot the chains out." LOL

The Spaz
04-03-2003, 10:47 AM
LOL he said Angina...lol:)! Go Bills!

RedEyE
04-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
I just want to say that i think its a good idea. And that i think its ironic that Pat Summerall is pushing for this change.

:lol:

Doc
04-03-2003, 04:09 PM
I wonder if there is a risk of eye injury if someone looks at the laser beam accidentally?

superbills
04-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Update: Laser Blinds PLayer
By Larry Weisman, USA TODAY

In a fluke accident, Takeo Spikes of the Buffalo BIlls was declared legally blind by the Blind and Handicapped Association of America, after looking directly into the laser light on the sideline during a preseason game last week. Said Spikes after the incident, "I wish they never took away that damn angina havin', wind-suckin' chain gang. Damn technology!"

Courtesy: Wouldn't That Suck Media, Inc.

venis2k1
04-03-2003, 04:28 PM
ESPN is saying they might try this out in pre-season games THIS YEAR!!!!

TigerJ
04-03-2003, 06:03 PM
I like it. They'll have to keep the flags and chains around in case of technical difficulties, but besides looking cool, it would save time.

G. Host
04-03-2003, 08:35 PM
They would two - one for nose and one for tail and be able to get a bullseye no matter where it is. Maybe they can get the company who tracks stolen autos to be official sponsor.

But do you HONESTLY think it will prevent refs from calling a TD again when Vinny's helmet crosses goal line?

Originally posted by Wys Guy
I think it's awesome. Anything to take the game away from the refs!

What would be even cooler is if they could implant a chip inside the football, which I'm sure is entirely possible, and then have the position of the ball on the field be determined by a sensor of some sort. That would end dubious placements. All that would have to be figured out is how to signal or figure out where the ball is at the time the play dies and the players is down.

The_Philster
04-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by G. Host
They would two - one for nose and one for tail and be able to get a bullseye no matter where it is. Maybe they can get the company who tracks stolen autos to be official sponsor.

But do you HONESTLY think it will prevent refs from calling a TD again when Vinny's helmet crosses goal line?

We've got instant replay for that

Kicker22705
04-04-2003, 11:19 AM
How are they going to get a laser to go across the field. The players would be constantly obstruct the path of the laser causing there to be no line where theres a lot of traffic.

Fiber optics may be a much better option. It will definately cost a lot more money but is more versitile. Maybe they can integrate the fiber optics into the artificail turf.

it'll sort of be like those artificial christmas trees where the very ends of the pine needle light up different colors. anybody know what i'm talking about?

RedEyE
04-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Kicker22705
How are they going to get a laser to go across the field. The players would be constantly obstruct the path of the laser causing there to be no line where theres a lot of traffic.

Fiber optics may be a much better option. It will definately cost a lot more money but is more versitile. Maybe they can integrate the fiber optics into the artificail turf.

it'll sort of be like those artificial christmas trees where the very ends of the pine needle light up different colors. anybody know what i'm talking about?

I'm pretty sure they already thought of that little problem. I'm not altogether sure how the technology works, but if you look at the attached picture you'll clearly see the player blocking the path of light. Yet, the line continues on across the rest of the field. It's an enigma? http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2003-04-02-inside-laser.jpg

RedEyE
04-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Actually, looking at the pic again, the line goes over the player. They've created away to prevent the laser beam from being blocked. I am concerned about inclimate weather though.

Herdwatcher
04-05-2003, 02:52 PM
No sir, don't like it. What's next? Robot players? There would be less first downs. Everyone focused on this green line not looking at the hole. I don't know, just seems too "Jetsonized" for me.

RedEyE
04-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Herdwatcher
No sir, don't like it. What's next? Robot players? There would be less first downs. Everyone focused on this green line not looking at the hole. I don't know, just seems too "Jetsonized" for me.

:lol:
Astro is already throwing the flags, so what the hell?

Š
04-05-2003, 06:27 PM
And the refs can use the lasers to light their smokes, eh ?

http://www.oxford.net/~bobnet/hoser/album1.jpg