PDA

View Full Version : Schonert wants OC job

Philagape
12-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Bills QB coach Schonert interested in taking over as offensive coordinator

By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Having spent 12 seasons tutoring NFL quarterbacks, including Bills rookie Trent Edwards this year, Turk Schonert believes he's ready for an even bigger challenge: offensive coordinator.
The Bills quarterbacks coach on Wednesday acknowledged he's interested in replacing Steve Fairchild, who's leaving Buffalo to take over as coach at Colorado State.
"Oh, absolutely," said Schonert, who added he's yet to formally discuss the job with head coach Dick Jauron.

I went to look for a link and my internet got cut off :mad:

Night Train
12-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Makes sense, actually. Both he and Edwards graduated from Stanford, have high IQ's and supposedly get along well.

If Edwards believes in him, that's the key. He deserves the shot.

G. Host
12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
It is from Times Union
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=650342&BCCode=BNNEWYORKSTATE&newsdate=12/26/2007

Schonert has receiver Lee Evans' vote.

"Yeah, that would be good. I like Turk," Evans said. "Ideally, you want the same system so you don't have to start from a complete Ground Zero. ... It will be a good move."

Edwards also favored Schonert, but added the decision should be left to Jauron.

"I feel in this situation, my opinion really doesn't matter all that much because I haven't been out there playing at this level for that long," Edwards said. "I've enjoyed the system I'm in right now and have learned a lot over these past 17 weeks. And if we can stick with that, that would be great, too."

YardRat
12-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I like the idea of Schonert being elevated to OC, and AVP going to QB coach. Wouldn't mind having a proven guy, but if we're going with a newbie I'd rather it be Turk.

theanswer74
12-26-2007, 04:56 PM
It seems Schonert and Alex Van Pelt have similar backgrounds, Schonert has more experience.

I just wish Evans would shut up about continuity and all that BS. It almost sounds to me like he is ok with how terrible the offense has been. Im not saying I want TO or Moss like attitude, but this guys "stay the course" attitude is depressing.

Crisis
12-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Can't be any worse than Fairchild.

TigerJ
12-26-2007, 05:52 PM
If the Bills go internal (and I'm in favor of that) Schonert is the logical choice. Again, I don't think Fairchild had a bad system at all. I like his system. He just got a little too cautious with his young QBs and tied their hands when trying to protect them. That has more to do with his personality than his system.

Hard Nose Football
12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I'd wait and see who gets fired at the end of this year.

This team is screaming for an old warhorse on the sideline. Someone who will make good decisions on the fly. Can't say that Turk or AVP would do that.

Kerr
12-26-2007, 06:42 PM
I would not oppose it. Hopefully schonert learns a thing or two from fairchild's gameday mistakes. Btw schonert should have been given the duties to call plays last week and this week as an audition. I have no idea what the point of keeping fairchild as OC last week and this week when you've got schonert as a potential candidate itching to gain a shot. This one is on jauron. For all the yale bull**** you hear about jauron, this just takes the cake. Fairchild's job has nothing to gain or lose calling the giants and eagles game.

djjimkelly
12-26-2007, 07:32 PM
we need fresh blood not a continuation of this crap scheme

Nighthawk
12-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Umm, no thanks!

Billz_fan
12-26-2007, 07:50 PM
He fits what the Bills like in coaches. He won't get paid alot. He will get it.

Wys Guy
12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Bills QB coach Schonert interested in taking over as offensive coordinator

By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Having spent 12 seasons tutoring NFL quarterbacks, including Bills rookie Trent Edwards this year, Turk Schonert believes he's ready for an even bigger challenge: offensive coordinator.
The Bills quarterbacks coach on Wednesday acknowledged he's interested in replacing Steve Fairchild, who's leaving Buffalo to take over as coach at Colorado State.
"Oh, absolutely," said Schonert, who added he's yet to formally discuss the job with head coach Dick Jauron.

Well he's certainly earned it!

:rolleyes:

Meathead
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
worst.

:link:.

excuse.

ever.

jamze132
12-27-2007, 01:41 AM
I don't think the scheme is the problem, it's the pathetic playcalling and lack of execution that plagued us. Hopefully the next OC will have a brain that has the ability to make the right decisions when the playclock resets to 40 sec.

SquishDaFish
12-27-2007, 06:07 AM
It seems Schonert and Alex Van Pelt have similar backgrounds, Schonert has more experience.

I just wish Evans would shut up about continuity and all that BS. It almost sounds to me like he is ok with how terrible the offense has been. Im not saying I want TO or Moss like attitude, but this guys "stay the course" attitude is depressing.

Theres nothing wrong with what Evens is saying there. He is right. He has seen what changing systems has done. We have to stop changing systems every 2 years.

DynaPaul
12-27-2007, 01:17 PM
It'd be nice to keep the same system but what I'm worried about is can Turk be a sharper OC than Fairchild? We need a guy who can read and react fast during the game and not call the same dumb plays. Also, we need to stick to football basics and not try to trick the other team. Sure, you throw a nice wrinkle in there once in awhile but you don't do something stupid like call a reverse when the field is full of snow and ice or a delay on 3rd and 20.

Mr. Miyagi
12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm always in favor of promoting from within, especially ones who already are familiar with the system so our offense doesn't have to go through the learning curve all over again.

justasportsfan
12-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't mind promoting someone from within either , if the system in place was a good one. It isn't, we suck. I'd go somewhere else.

Mr. Miyagi
12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't mind promoting someone from within either , if the system in place was a good one. It isn't, we suck. I'd go somewhere else.
How can you say it's our system that sucks and not just the playcalling? You have the playbook or something?

justasportsfan
12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
How can you say it's our system that sucks and not just the playcalling? You have the playbook or something?

I watch the games. Our system is based on what Fairchild has learned through the years. It's his playbook. It stinks.

I have a copy of it http://www.danglaeserbooks.com/si/9200.html

Night Train
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM

:rofl:

njsue
12-27-2007, 03:39 PM
He deserves the chance. Plus the players are stepping up for him!

G. Host
12-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Schonert should get shot to interview but Jauron ought to look outside organization.

Competition is good is always what he says.

Meathead
12-28-2007, 01:27 AM
is don coryell dead yet

G. Host
12-28-2007, 01:46 AM
is don coryell dead yet

I do not think so. He did an interview in 2007 I believe.

And I do not think we have the WRs to implement his offense anyways.

mybills
12-28-2007, 06:34 AM
I watch the games. Our system is based on what Fairchild has learned through the years. It's his playbook. It stinks.

:rofl:

BillsFever21
12-30-2007, 04:53 AM
He fits what the Bills like in coaches. He won't get paid alot. He will get it.

They usually end up with one of the most desperate ones that will do the job for less then almost every other coach at their respective positions. With that said I doubt he ends up with it.

BillsFever21
12-30-2007, 04:59 AM

I remember when tons of people around here wanted Tom Clements as our OC. Even before Mike Mularkey was hired. When it was all said and done their wish came true.

How about Tom Clements when he was our OC under Mike Mularkey. How do we know his system didn't suck? Maybe it was just him?

Your system is what the coaches make of it. If the blame isn't on the coaches then some of the blame has to go to the players. If that was the case and these players are not any good in that system then why stick with that either?

This is Fairchild's system that he came up with. He would know it better then any other person and he couldn't make it work. This wasn't a system he took over and couldn't lead to success. Why could Turk take over his system and without ever being considered before make it work?

Historian
12-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Schonert should get shot to interview but Jauron ought to look outside organization.

Competition is good is always what he says.

The job is a good as his, because his salary is in line.

It's this team's tragic flaw, and will not be corrected until Ralph is in a burial vault.