PDA

View Full Version : Top-Ten Reasons to be Encouraged for the Bills in '08

Midwesternbillsfan
12-27-2007, 06:08 PM
The season always goes too fast, and there's no doubt that has to do largely with the fact that it's ended by December for Buffalo since Bill Clinton was still president. Still, there are some positives to take from 2007 and to be greatly encouraged for 2008. Here are my top-ten- though there are more (and I don't even mention some positions, like upgrades at CB. Anyway):

1. We broke in a rookie at QB AND still managed to at least creep to mediocrity. Edwards will have nine starts under his belt heading into 2008 (more experience than Losman had by the start of his 3rd season), which will be instrumental to him actually having a good season next season without having to qualify it by his inexperience in this league.

2. Marshawn Lynch (1,010 yards in just 12 games; 7 TD's) is a star-in-the-making, a possible perennial Pro Bowler who will only get better w/more experience and offensive continuity, which the Bills will have, returning the same QB (Edwards) and offensive line. And the Bills haven't had as good of a backup as Fred Jackson looks to be since 1995 (Darick Holmes backing up Thurman).

3. The offensive line decreased sacks absorbed from 47 in 2006 to 26 (through 15 games) in 2007. The line will improve with more cohesion, which will result from continuing to play together. And I'd be shocked if the run-blocking suffered regression; it stands to improve, too, actually.

4. The Bills' offense, particularly our passing offense, will almost unassailably be better in 2008: Edwards will no longer be a rookie, Evans had an undeniably down year but is better than he displayed and might be heading into a contract year (the Bills may be unwilling to pay him Andre Johnson-type money now (8 years, $60 million) and this isn't the most opportune time for Evans to sign a new contract, either; the Bills reserve the right to franchise Evans after '08 if they so choose and his play warrants it), the Bills WILL make palpable changes at second wideout and TE (size will finally be a consideration), and any new offensive coordinator will likely represent an improvement over Steve Fairchild.

5. The Bills' pass rush (22 sacks through 15 games) will not be any worse. In fact, despite being contractually locked in at DE, a pass-rushing DT to alleviate pressure and double-teams from Schobel has to high on the team's offseason "want" list. After all, even if his contract wasn't renegoiated and he was already unhappy and obsolete in Philadelphia, we didn't trade Spikes and Holcomb for Darwin Walker for no reason... We still covet a disruptive DT.

6. Ellison is done as a starter, that much is certain, which means a bit more size at WLB. Dan Connor or Keith Rivers- provided at least two other needs are taken care of before the draft- would amount to excellent value w/our 1st round pick. Either teamed with Paul Posluszny and Angelo Crowell would potentially be an elite LB'ing corps.

7. Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner were largely responsible for the Bills finishing 7th in 2006 in terms of allowing the least number of pass plays of 20 yards or more. This year, the Bills have been greatly susceptible to big chunk of yards earned in the passing game and Whitner has also had to handle more run responsibilities than in '06. With the 5'8" Jim Leonard and the neophyte George Wilson out of the lineup in '08, maybe the Simpson-Whitner duo, which many thought before the season had as much promise as young safety combo in the league, save for Indianapolis' Antoine Bethea and Bob Sanders, will live up to its billing. They're still young; it's still eminently possible.

8. The Bills' accumulation of injuries greatly affected the effectiveness of our special teams. Our amount of injuries (15 players on IR) was unprecedented and the trickle-down effect meant that the Bills had fewer players they could designate to only play on ST's. And that's not even mentioning having to hire guys "off the streets" and ask them to contribute immediately on ST's, which was evident on the on-sides kick recovered by the Cowboys in the Dallas debacle. Injuries are a part of the game and will be again in 2008. But the NFL 'gods' should be more merciful next year.

9. $33 million dollars in cap room; that's roughly the amount the Bills had in 2007 and this time around the Bills don't have to worry about losing one player in FA (or on the trade blocket) who's currently a starter; reserve DE Anthony Hargrove is our most significant FA. Even operating under the constrictive 'cash to the cap', a failure to bring in a couple of decent FA's who will start immediately (like Dockery and Walker) would be devoid of rationalizations. If Ralph Wilson tries to impress upon the Bills this offseason some belief that all that Buffalo was lacking in '07 from being a playoff team was experience and good health, he'll righteously have hell to pay. Fortunately, I don't think Marv Levy and Dick Jauron are similarly misguided.

10. The Bills have 10 draft picks, including the possibility of 4 in the top-75, which means that the Bills can both receive exceptional value and immediate impact from their picks, as well as even more draft-day flexibility than afforded Buffalo in 2006 and 2007; Levy and Jauron still showed no equivocation to make a move for the player they coveted. The Bills' draft will be as compelling and entertaining to follow as any team's, save for the Dolphins and their first overall pick and two 2nd's. But they're a mess, anyway...

So those are mine... please add to the list if you want to...

G Wolly
12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
My top reason for looking forward to next September.

Healthy Poz

Midwesternbillsfan
12-27-2007, 06:16 PM
My top reason for looking forward to next September.

Healthy Poz

Definitely. DiGiorgio has performed yeoman's work this year but his size has been an issue at least on occasion; we witnessed a few of those occasions on some Giant TD runs Sunday. DiGiorgio gives us better depth than we realized we had with him, though.

YardRat
12-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Very nice post.

Edwards, Lynch, Evans and others give the team a solid young core to build around. The offensive line still has some growing to do, and could use an upgrade at center.

A big, sure-handed, receiver should be a top priority, and I'm hoping the team addresses the position both in FA and with a high pick in the draft.

I hope we re-sign Hargrove and get another DT.

I'm not sold on Poz over-taking DiG just yet, but having him on the field regardless of whether it's John or Ellison he replaces definitely gives the unit more athleticism. Hopefully he's a quick enough study to get a grasp on the mental aspect of MLB, because that's the position he will be most effective in, IMO.

Leonhard should be hard-pressed to even make the squad next year...A healthy Simpson will go a long way to shoring up the defense against both the pass and the run.

YardRat
12-27-2007, 06:34 PM
#11 - We play the Jets and Dolphins twice next year again :D

Night Train
12-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Poz is only as good as the DT's in front of him. I'm a big fan but pinning all the hopes on him shows how short the middle of this D is. I wouldn't mind a Dan Conner to play next to Poz in Round 1, followed by a big DT in Round 2.

We need McCargo to play more and a new face next to him who doesn't get blown out like Kyle Williams and Larry Tripplett, who are pathetic against the run.

I do like your other thoughts. I like Marshawn Lynch a lot. Fred Jackson is a good situational player, ala Kevin Faulk but not a full time answer if Lynch goes down. He can't block worth a damn in pass protection.

TE and WR are a need. It would be nice to ID the WR in Free Agency. Developing a Rookie WR takes 2-3 years. TE's can make an immediate impact if they can show the ability to slide off the LOS and catch the short slant.

A bigger Center is needed.

Midwesternbillsfan
12-27-2007, 06:51 PM

We also play the AFC West and NFL West next year. It's impossible to gauge the direction of teams one year to the next (this year is exhibit A for Buffalo, even if our current SOS is still 115-110; still easier than what it seemed to be coming into the season). But I believe the schedule will ultimately be relatively favorable for Buffalo. We'll have tough games as always (Patriots twice, Chargers, Seahawks and Browns at home; Cardinals, Broncos, and Jaguars on the road). But our schedule still breaks nicely... ostensibly.

By the way, I don't post on here often (I'm usually just a lurker) but I did start another thread last week insisting that I would make Corey Williams- DT/Green Bay- and D.J. Hackett- WR/Seattle- our two primary FA targets. Williams is 6'4", 313 pounds w/quickness and has 7 sacks each of the last two years. He is a perfect fit for the disruptive, pass-rushing DT our Cover 2 defense still lacks... and he is competent against the run and likely will be made available; the Packers have depth at DT w/Pickett at the one-tech and Colin Cole and Johnny Jolly providing depth... and that doesn't yet include '07 1st round pick Justin Harrell, who seems to fit into their plans in 2008. As for D.J. Hackett, durabilty has been an undeniable issue for him in his career (he missed his entire rookie season in '04 with a sprained hip flexor; he's missed ten games in '07 with a high ankle sprain- it was reaggravated when he returned to the lineup). But he has an excellent combination of speed and size (6'2, 208"), his hands are exceptional, he single-handedly made Darrell Jackson expendable in Seattle (okay, so Jackson's hands had something to do with it), and his production when healthy indicates that he has the potential to be an excellent #2, if not a 1B to Evans' 1A. In just barely over 4 games in '07, Hackett had 28 receptions, 343 yards, 3 TD's and two 100-yard games. He could be a real find... with an incentive-laden contract.

djjimkelly
12-27-2007, 08:52 PM
i agree with

#8 partially
#9 but till this owner shows willing to spend cant be truly

LtBillsFan66
12-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Sweet list mwbf!

Oaf
12-27-2007, 11:31 PM
4. The Bills' offense, particularly our passing offense, will almost unassailably be better in 2008:

Although the reason for that may be only because we can't get any worse, our FO will have to make a concerted effort to improve here. That means Ralph will either have to shell out serious cash in the FA or draft a TE or WR in rounds one and/or two, even if that means reaching a bit.

Midwesternbillsfan
12-28-2007, 07:32 AM
i agree with

#8 partially
#9 but till this owner shows willing to spend cant be truly

As for #9, I don't see how Buffalo being $33 million under the cap- unless the Bills re-work and/or extend the contracts for Lee Evans, Angelo Crowell, AND Jason Peters and I'm not even sure then- comes close to the minimum salary cap (85% of the full cap, projected to be at $119 million; you have to spend to the minimum to receive shared revenue in full, aka the salary cap in full) without being somewhat active in FA. The NFL rookie pool for Buffalo will probably amount to $5; they'll still need to chip $10 million off against the cap somewhere else (in FA and extensions for current players) to just meet the minimum cap. So Ralph Wilson and the Bills may be "coerced" into action, though I believe that Levy and Jauron intend to find a starter or two in FA, anyway, recognizing there is still a relative talent deficiency on this roster. Corey Williams and D.J. Hackett are feasible options, IMO.

blackonyx89
12-28-2007, 11:12 AM

That's an wasy 2 wins.

:bf1:

venis2k1
12-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Bryant Johnson, from the cards is a player i would like to see us target in FA. He is young, talented, big proven WR.

djjimkelly
12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Bryant Johnson, from the cards is a player i would like to see us target in FA. He is young, talented, big proven WR.

this would be a true sleeper golden pickup for bills

the guy went to penn state if i remember correctly so hes used to the colder weather.

perfect fit for what bills need and wouldnt break the bank and could truly be a #2 hell maybe a #1 after 2008. becuz i have a weird feeling evans wont be retained( we havent resigned one of our own first rounders since moulds) its just a trend i dont see changing sadly

i hope im wrong on evans becuz with a legit wr opposite him he could do some crazy things

Mr. Pink
12-29-2007, 10:14 AM
this would be a true sleeper golden pickup for bills

the guy went to penn state if i remember correctly so hes used to the colder weather.

perfect fit for what bills need and wouldnt break the bank and could truly be a #2 hell maybe a #1 after 2008. becuz i have a weird feeling evans wont be retained( we havent resigned one of our own first rounders since moulds) its just a trend i dont see changing sadly

i hope im wrong on evans becuz with a legit wr opposite him he could do some crazy things

I'm kinda glad Evans has had a down year, it drives his asking price down. No leverage for that big pay day. Hopefully it's not a trend though.

And look at our number 1 picks since Moulds...Antowain Smith, Antoine Winfield, Erik Flowers, Nate, Mike Williams, Willis, JP...Who would you resign out of that group? The only guy that should have been resigned is Winfield.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Great thread, you should post more often!!

I think our issue at both DE spots is a bigger problem than people realize.

I have been Schobel's biggest critic and he's not getting double teamed!!!!!!! It's a joke out there. I was worried about his weight last April.

My personal opinion is that Schobel tested positive and had to stay off the roids which contirbuted to his 20 pound weight loss.

Let me ask you this. How much better would the DT play look if the DEs had played better?