PDA

View Full Version : For those that want MMartz as OC...

Jeff1220
12-28-2007, 12:32 PM
MARTZ ON THE OUTS IN MOTOWN?

A league source tells us that the Detroit Lions could be parting ways with offensive coordinator Mike Martz after the season.

Though there's no clear indication at this point as to what the Lions will do, Martz has yet to perform like the genius who took the Rams to the Super Bowl eight years ago.

And the fact that Martz widely is expected to try to parlay one good season in Detroit into another chance at becoming a head coach could be working against him. Why should the Lions be patient with Martz while he tries to get his offense rolling, only to see him bolt if/when it finally happens?

We're also told that the powers-that-be in Detroit aren't happy with Martz's recent proclamation that quarterback Jon Kitna should return as the starter in 2008.

It's simply not Martz's call. And, in our view, it's a fairly transparent effort by Martz to punch his own ticket via the consistency that will come from another season with Kitna at the helm.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

justasportsfan
12-28-2007, 12:36 PM
If MArv brings him here, he'll want to take a closer look at JP. Could mean more qb controversies.

djjimkelly
12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
If MArv brings him here, he'll want to take a closer look at JP. Could mean more qb controversies.

lol shhh i know he loved him coming out of college

djjimkelly
12-28-2007, 12:43 PM
also i heard georgia techs head coach mentioned to be new OC for lions on late hits on sirius last night. they almost spoke about it like it was a done deal

whats his name i forget used to coach dallas

G Wolly
12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Maybe Schonert would be the best choice. He's already been in this "administration" and since he currently is the QB coach I figure he would have some sense of what Trent is capable of doing, when it's the right time (ex. NOT a deep play on 3rd and 3)

Jeff1220
12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
also i heard georgia techs head coach mentioned to be new OC for lions on late hits on sirius last night. they almost spoke about it like it was a done deal

whats his name i forget used to coach dallas
Chan Gailey?

djjimkelly
12-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Chan Gailey?

yeah thats him they was mentioning him as the OC for lions

trapezeus
12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
no need for martz. he has done less with more at WR. He's only had 2 good years with the rams.

plus with no dome and his love for JP, i don't want him here. he'll be an expensive name who can't get the job done.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I got the perfect name for you guys for OC how about Jim Fassell former Giants coach head coach worked with McNally when he was on the Giants staff. Was fired by Billick because Billick wanted to call the plays himself. I don't think he's coaching anywhere now. Has lots of respect around the NFL. The choice is up to Jauron though.

Mahdi
12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
no need for martz. he has done less with more at WR. He's only had 2 good years with the rams.

plus with no dome and his love for JP, i don't want him here. he'll be an expensive name who can't get the job done.
To be fair to Martz,,,, I think the reason the Lions offense struggled is that Kitna gets sacked and pressured way too much,,, i think most in the league. With a good OL that offense would be one of the best.

That being said.... The weather in Buffalo calls for a more balanced offense that Martz does not specialize in. Schoenert would probably be the best option or a college OC.

Owen DeBoard
12-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Id pass on Martz because he is too pass happy. He also gives up on the run too quick. With Lynch and Jackson I dont think Martz is a good choice.

yordad
12-28-2007, 07:53 PM
If MArv brings him here, he'll want to take a closer look at JP. Could mean more qb controversies.Bingo. One of my biggest reasons for wanting Martz. It would be a perfect match. :bf1:

theanswer74
12-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Does everyone have a short memory? Unless we fire Bobby April, I doubt Mike Martz is coming here. April was very upset that he was the fall guy back when he was fired by Martz.

yordad
12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Does everyone have a short memory? Unless we fire Bobby April, I doubt Mike Martz is coming here. April was very upset that he was the fall guy back when he was fired by Martz.I wasn't aware our offensive coordinator could fire our special teams and assistant head coach?

It is business man. You act like April would quit. These guys are grown men.

Sorry for the facetiousness.

Lexwhat
12-29-2007, 04:24 AM

Yea right. Jauron/Marv would not hire Martz unless there is a prior understanding that Edwards is our #1 QB.

Edwards is Jauron/Marv's guy.

Night Train
12-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Does everyone have a short memory? Unless we fire Bobby April, I doubt Mike Martz is coming here. April was very upset that he was the fall guy back when he was fired by Martz.

It's amazing how dumb the joystick community is. You are dead on.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-29-2007, 07:31 AM
parlay one good season in Detroit

That should read "parlay one good half season in Detroit." Let's not forget 0-7 since midseason.

Edwards is Jauron/Marv's guy.

So was Craig Nall... now where is he? Kicked to the curb after one injury.

Jan Reimers
12-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Martz was great when Warner had the magic, Faulk was in his prime, and he had a bevy of great WRs.

How great he'd be with our limited weapons is another story.

Generally, great players make great coaches.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2007, 08:13 AM
I think Martz would do a better job than what we have now.

I'll be the first to say that Bobby April as OC is a huge mistake.

Jan Reimers
12-29-2007, 08:17 AM
A stump would be better than we have now.

I just think anyone expecting Martz to cure our offensive woes is sadly mistaken.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2007, 08:22 AM
A stump would be better than we have now.

I just think anyone expecting Martz to cure our offensive woes is sadly mistaken.

I agree that Martz isn't going to catch the balls.

I think Fairchild's biggest issue was managing a game. He looked like he worked so hard on the first 10 plays and than ran out of time to finish prep for the game.

I was really hoping for Norv Turner who's a great play caller. People don't realize that this is what makes the great OCs great.

ryjam282
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I said it the last time we talked about this a few years ago. Martz would be a good pick by us. We have a similar offensive layout to what he had in St. Louis. Our WR's are smaller guys with very good speed and Lynch is definitely a very good receiver out of the backfield. It has the makings of a greatest show on turf type of O. I like the idea.

Kerr
12-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Martz hardly uses TE's. His offense is not the ideal offense for a TE. We need to get the TE involved in our offense again.

trapezeus
12-31-2007, 09:48 AM
I wasn't aware our offensive coordinator could fire our special teams and assistant head coach?

It is business man. You act like April would quit. These guys are grown men.

Sorry for the facetiousness.

grown men who know how to fight in business sense. If april sees someone who comes here and disrupts his sense, he'll ask for a raise or ask to leave. With the way he's been regarded over the last 3 or so years, someone would find him to be a steal at any price.