PDA

View Full Version : NO Whitner in Philly

DynaPaul
12-29-2007, 04:24 PM
He didn't make the trip due to an illness according to vtext.

G. Host
12-29-2007, 04:33 PM
He has had the flu all week do not surprising. Maybe we will see if Wendling has what it takes to play in the league.

Meathead
12-29-2007, 04:37 PM
oh good then maybe trent will play well

oh you said witner

never mind

http://www.mydd.com/images/user/3526/Emily_Latella.jpg

Yasgur's Farm
12-29-2007, 04:52 PM
It's got to be JP's Fault!!!

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2007, 04:56 PM
This should spell the end of Whitner's Buffalo career. He is obviously not tough enough, has no commitment and is a massive bust.

Cut him the day after the season ends.

OpIv37
12-29-2007, 05:08 PM
It's a good thing this game doesn't matter because we'd be screwed with Wendling and Leonard in the backfield.

Whitner has been awful this year but he's still the best S on our roster (which is just scary).

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2007, 05:12 PM
It's a good thing this game doesn't matter because we'd be screwed with Wendling and Leonard in the backfield.

Whitner has been awful this year but he's still the best S on our roster (which is just scary).

He has not been awful this year.

He was awful last week.

He has been very, very good this year.

shelby
12-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Don't these guys get flu shots?:wtf:

And i agree with Doc....Whitner was bad last week, but overall he's had a decent season.

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2007, 05:16 PM
BTW, Scott is starting not Wendling.

And I seem to remember panic after we heard Wilson was starting too.

im4bflo
12-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm hoping to see WENDLING! Finally! :box:

G. Host
12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Flu shots are not absolute. And "flu" is used for coach speak for lots of illnesses including "hangover from hell" and "I do not want to play this week".

im4bflo
12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Flu shots are not absolute. And "flu" is used for coach speak for lots of illnesses including "hangover from hell" and "I do not want to play this week".

Maybe it's the dreaded BRUUUCE Flu ! :sick:

OpIv37
12-29-2007, 08:11 PM
He has not been awful this year.

He was awful last week.

He has been very, very good this year.

you're on crack.

He missed the tackle on McGahee that lead to McGahee's TD. He only has 1 INT and has very few plays on the ball. He's lucky the weather kept Anderson from getting Winslow the ball because Winslow was frequently open against Cleveland. And there were several other TD's that were right over his head- one against NE stands out in my mind.

I don't know what game you watch but he's been pretty bad this year He's never anywhere near the ball, he misses tackles, he's late in coverage, etc.

The problem is that he makes one big play- like he did against Miami- and people forget about all his mistakes. Then when someone like me reminds them, they blame the system or the pass rush or something else because no one on this team is ever held accountable for their performance (or lack thereof).

There are worse safeties out there- hell, there are worse safeties on our team- but I think it's pretty clear that Ngata was the right pick at that spot at this point.

OpIv37
12-29-2007, 08:13 PM

And i agree with Doc....Whitner was bad last week, but overall he's had a decent season.

you're just wrong. Go back and look at the number of tackles he's missed- the number of times he was late getting to the ball- the number of times his man was open, etc. He's never anywhere near the ball and his stat line shows it.

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Op, if every player sucked that you say sucked and every coach sucked that you say sucked, this team would be winless. You have tagged nearly every player and coach on this team as sucking, with the possible exceptions of Peters and Lynch. (The entire defense for starters)

This team has been rarely been beat deep. He is 3rd on the team in tackles, so apparently he has made a few.

But, as usual you go back and pick out one other play in a game and use it as proof a guy "sucks" for the entire season. Do you think Ngata missed zero tackles this year?

OpIv37
12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Op, if every player sucked that you say sucked and every coach sucked that you say sucked, this team would be winless. You have tagged nearly every player and coach on this team as sucking, with the possible exceptions of Peters and Lynch. (The entire defense for starters)

This team has been rarely been beat deep. He is 3rd on the team in tackles, so apparently he has made a few.

But, as usual you go back and pick out one other play in a game and use it as proof a guy "sucks" for the entire season. Do you think Ngata missed zero tackles this year?

No but I'm willing to bet that the number of tackles Ngata missed weren't as frequent or as costly as the ones Whitner missed.

The guy was a #8 pick as a safety. He should be dominant or at least above average. Instead, Whitner screws up when it counts the most.

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Who on this team does not suck in your eyes? Seriously. Is there anybody?

The guy is also in his second year. Do you remember Moulds in years one and two? He also spent this season with George Freakin' Wilson or Jim Leonard alongside him at safety.

He had one bad game and the over-reactors are going nuts.

OpIv37
12-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Who on this team does not suck in your eyes? Seriously. Is there anybody?

The guy is also in his second year. Do you remember Moulds in years one and two? He also spent this season with George Freakin' Wilson or Jim Leonard alongside him at safety.

He had one bad game and the over-reactors are going nuts.

no, he had MANY bad games but the homers remember his INT against Miami or a big tackle in the run game and totally forget about all the plays he screws up. Moulds wasn't a #8 pick. Youth is NOT an excuse for taking bad angles, running into the punter, missing tackles in the hole, etc.

Who on this team doesn't suck? That's a very short list. Lynch, Peters, Dockery, Walker, Jackson, Lindell, Moorman, Evans, McGee- pretty much all the other starters could be upgraded.

Who on this team is dominant? Who on this team is a franchise player that consistently makes plays week in and week out? Who is the face of this team?

The answer is no one.

When a player is picked #8 overall it shouldn't take him two full seasons to stop making the kinds of amateur mistakes that Whitner makes. I'm not saying we should cut him or bench him or anything drastic like that- I'm simply saying that he has not even come close to meeting expectations so far and he's REALLY going to have to step it up if this team is going to go anywhere.

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2007, 09:02 PM
If there were only that many players that did not suck, this team would not have 7 wins.

Sorry.

And Whitner is a much, much better player than McGee.

TacklingDummy
12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Whitner must have had the flu last week too because he played like shlt.

patmoran2006
12-29-2007, 11:22 PM
This should spell the end of Whitner's Buffalo career. He is obviously not tough enough, has no commitment and is a massive bust.

Cut him the day after the season ends.
I wouldn't go that far. But tell me at this point there isn't 15+ better safeties in this league. Not exactly the production you're hoping for with an 8th overall pick.

C'mon, don't be scare to admit it. Not every pick can be a great one.

Patti120
12-30-2007, 12:31 AM
I don't think Whitner is the greatest safety in the NFL but he has been solid. He goes largely unnoticed until he misses a tackle or takes a bad angle, etc..

That means he is doing his job for the most part.

I will now prepare to get violated!

GO BILLS

Kerr
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
This is pretty much a meaningless game. I don't know why scott is starting. Wendling needs the experience. He's going to end up being a backup safety at one of the spots eventually. Instead of leornard at FS, they ought to try wendling at FS. He played both spots at wyoming.

yordad
12-30-2007, 01:24 AM
I would like to see Wendling in action. I know he is athletic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P-22hhrW4

Oh, IMO, I think McGee and Whitner are both relatively solid. We will be upgrading many other positions first. Neither is all world at this point, but they are far from the weakest links.

jmb1099
12-30-2007, 08:10 AM
you're on crack.

He missed the tackle on McGahee that lead to McGahee's TD. He only has 1 INT and has very few plays on the ball. He's lucky the weather kept Anderson from getting Winslow the ball because Winslow was frequently open against Cleveland. And there were several other TD's that were right over his head- one against NE stands out in my mind.

I don't know what game you watch but he's been pretty bad this year He's never anywhere near the ball, he misses tackles, he's late in coverage, etc.

The problem is that he makes one big play- like he did against Miami- and people forget about all his mistakes. Then when someone like me reminds them, they blame the system or the pass rush or something else because no one on this team is ever held accountable for their performance (or lack thereof).

There are worse safeties out there- hell, there are worse safeties on our team- but I think it's pretty clear that Ngata was the right pick at that spot at this point.
Ahhh so that's your angle.

jmb1099
12-30-2007, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't go that far. But tell me at this point there isn't 15+ better safeties in this league. Not exactly the production you're hoping for with an 8th overall pick.

C'mon, don't be scare to admit it. Not every pick can be a great one.
He's been fairly solid, not great. Sophomore let down. He'll be fine next year.

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 09:19 AM
I don't think Whitner is the greatest safety in the NFL but he has been solid. He goes largely unnoticed until he misses a tackle or takes a bad angle, etc..

That means he is doing his job for the most part.

I will now prepare to get violated!

GO BILLS
Guys like Langston Walker and Brad Butler; if they're NOT getting noticed that means they're playing solid.

A guy like Whitner should NOT be going "unnoticed". Guys like Sanders, Reed, Polamalu.. Do they go unnoticed?

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 09:23 AM
The bottom line is in 2 full seasons, 31 games as a starter, Whitner has exactly 2 interceptions, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumbles and 6 passes defended.

He's as "average" as it gets.