PDA

View Full Version : Marv stepping down as GM

Novacane
12-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Just ran across the screen on channel 4.

hydro
Alert just went over CBS that multiple sources say that he will step down as GM.

Devin
Oh wow.

Nighthawk
12-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Just ran across the screen on channel 4.

Oh, please...please...be true!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Pink
I just saw this too WOW

shelby
Whaaaaaaaaaat?
NO!!!!

Nighthawk
Oh wow.

Not oh wow, you should have said...OH YEAH!!!! Hope may be on the way!!!!

HHURRICANE
Not good if true.

Michael82
12-30-2007, 03:38 PM
WTF?!?! :shocked:

Mr. Pink
12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
it looks like we might be starting yet another, year 1 of a rebuilding process.

And some want to say oh yeah?

HHURRICANE

Yeah, his drafts have sucked. WTF?!

Michael82
This is not good. Not good at all. :(

As the Buffalo Bills 2007 season came to a close in Philadelphia today, multiple sources tell News Four Sports Director Dennis Williams and Sports Anchor Paul Peck that Marv Levy will be stepping down as General Manager. The announcement could come as early as this week.
After internal discussions within the Bills organization, the mutual decision was made to let Marv step back into retirement after two years on the job. The long hours required for the position of General Manager were reportedly wearing on the 82 year old Levy, and the feeling was Marv had done what he needed to do.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=7558011

YardRat
12-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Uh-Oh.

hydro
12-30-2007, 03:41 PM
HEY OP!!!!! Its your time man, send in your resume'!!!!!!!

G Wolly
12-30-2007, 03:42 PM
and the feeling was Marv had done what he needed to do.

And that was.....?

Meathead
12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
i am very sad right now

Dr. Lecter

Yeah, because his drafts have sucked. Not to mention this team is finally has a plan and it is going to be blown up.

capitolneal
This is not good

jamze132
Well poop.

I seriously hope whoever is brought in doesn't clear house and start over.

So who is out there worthy of GM?

Philagape
12-30-2007, 03:44 PM
The long hours required for the position of General Manager were reportedly wearing on the 82 year old Levy, and the feeling was Marv had done what he needed to do.

What did he expect?

He never should have taken the job.

This franchise is a joke.

Jaybird
12-30-2007, 03:44 PM
why do i feel like DJ will get the call, can he handle both???

blackonyx89
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM

He made some good moves. Poz and Marshawn. Overall, I give him a C-. Get a guy in there who can work with the Head Elf (Wilson) and you might get in some better talent in here.

:brush:

LABillsFan
Donahoe? :snicker:

Meathead
its gonna be modrak

casdhf
12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
We're pointed in the right direction again. Thanks, Marv.

Discotrish
Maybe Jauron can ride his coattails...out the door.

Patti

LABillsFan
Maybe Matt Millen will be fired :snicker:

Ebenezer
He brought a lot of stability and vision to a team that was completely lacking. Since he is over 80 this is not a surprise and the team better make the correct choice on a successor.

hydro
He made some good moves. Poz and Marshawn. Overall, I give him a C-. Get a guy in there who can work with the Head Elf (Wilson) and you might get in some better talent in here.

:brush:

If you were confused, i was refering to OpIv37.

Ebenezer
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
its gonna be modrak
I wouldn't doubt it. I bet he has been making many of the personal decisions the last two years.

hydro
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
its gonna be modrak
:puke:as much as i would hate to admit it, i could see that.

LABillsFan
12-30-2007, 03:48 PM
its gonna be modrak

Well at least there's some reason to believe he isn't the worst choice. He's got a good draft coming up with all the picks and he does have a good record with the Bills. I just wonder how this impacts the rest of the team.

Meathead
12-30-2007, 03:51 PM
marv accomplished a great deal in installing a completely new atmosphere at obd especially considering how broken it was under tom the don

its highly likely that image he created will linger for some time because the organization surely will want it to

thats also the reason i suspect it will likely be modrak to take over full time gm duties. he was already the gm on talent issues and much of the business issues. having learned under marv how to create the proper climate he would be the ideal choice to continue to implement it here

shelby
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow. i am very, very sad.

Illmatic15
12-30-2007, 03:53 PM
wtf why did he even take the job 1 and a half years ago

Meathead
i suppose overdorf could also be a viable candidate. or perhaps they maintain the same structure with co-gms as modrak is the talent genius. still my bet would be modrak

Michael82
I'm in total shock. I never saw this coming. :ill:

capitolneal
12-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Tom Modrak is still here, you know we had a glut if gm types over the yrs. starting with Bill Polian, Butler, AJ Smith, etc, we should of retained Polian many moons ago he is the Man.
Kind of wonder where we would be

hydro

Same here Mikey! At least now there will be something to talk about seeing as the season is now over.

Night Train
This is not good. Not good at all. :(

No offense ( irony ) but you'vegot to be freakin' kidding me. New GM means possible new coach which means no more crap Cover 2 and zero TD's like today.

Ralph is the only wildcard towards failure here and this gives us real hope for the future..as in playoffs.

Discotrish
12-30-2007, 03:56 PM
wtf why did he even take the job 1 and a half years ago

Maybe 18 months ago it seemed like he still had a lot of his lifespan left.

Patti

Michael82
12-30-2007, 03:56 PM
its gonna be modrak
That's my prediction too.

jamze132
12-30-2007, 03:59 PM
That's my prediction too.
Expect an anouncement later this week for Cowher to be the GM. LOL

Michael82
12-30-2007, 03:59 PM
No offense ( irony ) but you'vegot to be freakin' kidding me. New GM means possible new coach which means no more crap Cover 2 and zero TD's like today.

Ralph is the only wildcard towards failure here and this gives us real hope for the future..as in playoffs.
Maybe Marv is stepping down because they are going to offer Bill Cowher the job and full control? :idunno:

Hey! we can dream, cant we? :D

Michael82
12-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Expect an anouncement later this week for Cowher to be the GM. LOL
:rofl: I was thinking the same thing. patmoran would have a heart attack, he would be so shocked! :rofl:

OpIv37
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM

I'm actually starting a new job on Jan 10, so the timing's REALLY bad for me. I'll keep my phone close by though- for the right offer it might be worthwhile.

hydro
12-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm actually starting a new job on Jan 10, so the timing's REALLY bad for me. I'll keep my phone close by though- for the right offer it might be worthwhile.

:rofl: I am pulling for you :up:

Dr. Lecter
12-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Why do people want Cowher as GM?

hydro
12-30-2007, 04:06 PM

I haven't actually figured that out myself.

Dr. Lecter

OK, but after the first loss by the team (or bad play by the team) I will start a petition and numerous message board threads to get your ass fired.

SquishDaFish
I would love Cowher for both. Assistant GM(w/Modrak)/HC. I would die if that happened.

Dr. Lecter
12-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I would love Cowher for both. Assistant GM(w/Modrak)/HC. I would die if that happened.

How many success stories are there in NFL history with a guy being a coach and GM?

Michael82
12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
The sad part is that Marv waited too long. If only Bill Parcells was still out there. I would have loved to see him continue to build the team, with some of the current pieces in place.

Hard Nose Football
12-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I would like to think that Marv wouldn't step down unless they knew who the replacement was going to be. I bet they promote from within, and I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't Modrak.

G Wolly
12-30-2007, 04:12 PM
How many success stories are there in NFL history with a guy being a coach and GM?

Mike Holmgren (http://sports.jrank.org/pages/2112/Holmgren-Mike-Head-Coach-General-Manager-Seattle-Seahawks.html)

Night Train
12-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Maybe Marv is stepping down because they are going to offer Bill Cowher the job and full control? :idunno:

Hey! we can dream, cant we? :D

It's my dream. Isn't that why we suck air ?

Dr. Lecter
12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Mike Holmgren (http://sports.jrank.org/pages/2112/Holmgren-Mike-Head-Coach-General-Manager-Seattle-Seahawks.html)

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>2002</TD><TD ALR6w="0" jvZBR="0">Resigns from general manager position, but remains head coach of Seahawks</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Philagape
12-30-2007, 04:15 PM
The sad part is that Marv waited too long. If only Bill Parcells was still out there. I would have loved to see him continue to build the team, with some of the current pieces in place.

As if Ralph would have ponied up the money.

Ebenezer
12-30-2007, 04:28 PM
stabilizing forces happen all the time in business...where the team goes from here will prove whether or not ML was a success.

G Wolly
12-30-2007, 04:28 PM
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>2002</TD><TD ALR6w="0" jvZBR="0">Resigns from general manager position, but remains head coach of Seahawks</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

At one point he WAS both. Then he came in as only the head coach and turned the Seahawks into a better team.

Kerr
12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
WTF?! I never expected this move. Thanks Marv, good luck.

It could be modrak or someone else. I hear Marty is looking for a Front Office job.

This also means DJ's job may not be safe nor everything else with a new coaching staff. Just have to hope for the best.

Ebenezer
12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
if it is a guy from outside the team you can just blow it up and start over...it will be Modrak.

Dr. Lecter
12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
At one point he WAS both. Then he came in as only the head coach and turned the Seahawks into a better team.

And the team was not acheiving full potentional until he settled on one job.

Night Train
12-30-2007, 04:33 PM
it will be Modrak.
He wants to live in Jacksonville where he just built a new house,scout and is 64 years old.

Your not convincing me at all.

Kerr
12-30-2007, 04:35 PM
He wants to live in Jacksonville where he just built a new house,scout and is 64 years old.

Really? Link?

Michael82
12-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Okay, then how about their cap guru? Overdorf? :ill:

Night Train
12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Really? Link?
It was in all the Buffalo papers last year that he just moved into his new house in Jacksonville and wouldn't relocate to Buffalo. He's on the road scouting college players all year.

Find your own link.

Kerr
12-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Find your own link.

Woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning? Sheesh.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Maybe we'll get really lucky and John Guy will take the job!

Michael82
12-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Maybe we'll get really lucky and John Guy will take the job!
:puke:

That guy is the biggest problem on the team. He's the director of Pro Personnel and decides who FAs we sign. :ill:

Night Train
12-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning? Sheesh.

What I stated was printed by the Bills beat reporter, Mark Gaughan. Modrak loves scouting and should stay. I like him.

This is our golden opportunity to do it right and not take the lazy alternative. New GM AND Coach.

tampabay25690
12-30-2007, 04:44 PM

MIKEY come on.

Devin
12-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I am sure they have someone in line Marv wouldnt just leave. Guy/Modrak I am sure.

PromoTheRobot
12-30-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm not optimistic. Unless Ralph shoots the lock off his money belt, and even then. The problem is any decent GM candidate won't come to Buffalo. The reputation of the owner and the city are huge obstacles.

PTR

Michael82
12-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I am sure they have someone in line Marv wouldnt just leave. Guy/Modrak I am sure.
If it's Guy, we are screwed. The Pro Personnel hiring has been the worst over the last 3-4 years. The rookies are what had built this team. John Guy sucks! :ill:

chernobylwraiths
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Maybe now Jim Kelly can buy the team and bring in his own man!

:D

The Jokeman
12-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I would hope Modrak would take the position but I wonder if he would take it to be honest. As with his current position he can do something he loves, as other noted he really enjoys scouting talent. Not to mention he lives in Florida so I'm not taking for granted he'll accept the position of GM. As let's not forget when Donahoe was fired the same day the team announced Modrak would keep his old role which may imply at that time he didn't want to be GM.

Night Train
12-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Yes. The biggest Bills related story of the day is moved away from the Bills forum. Good call.

Where is it now? The spam zone ?

Johnny Bugmenot
12-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Um... there's that guy out in New England... by the name of Bill Belichick... seems to be doing pretty well handling both positions right now.

Dr. Lecter
12-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Um... there's that guy out in New England... by the name of Bill Belichick... seems to be doing pretty well handling both positions right now.

Scott Pioli is VP of Player Personel, performing most of the tasks of a GM.

So, you are wrong.

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Psstt..
Dont get excited.. The next Gm is.. Tom Modrak.

THe carousel of complete and utter mediocrity continues with a guy who's prints all over a decade of sucking.

henrybacker
12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Good riddance. He was unqualified for the job and in over his head. His outrageous contracts were an embarassment.

He made some good moves. Poz and Marshawn

I love this position. When you trade McGahee, Spikes, and let Fletcher walk, is there any doubt the first two picks you were going to make would be Lynch and Poz? Not too mention poz has shown NOTHING to say he will be great or a bust just yet.

chubluv
12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
:shocked:

mysticsoto
12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Good riddance. He was unqualified for the job and in over his head. His outrageous contracts were an embarassment.

I love this position. When you trade McGahee, Spikes, and let Fletcher walk, is there any doubt the first two picks you were going to make would be Lynch and Poz? Not too mention poz has shown NOTHING to say he will be great or a bust just yet.

It has already been clearly said that Overdorf handled the contracts...not Marv!!!

lordofgun
12-30-2007, 10:20 PM
?? He fought to keep Cordell Stewart as their QB. :puke:

The Jokeman
12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
?? He fought to keep Cordell Stewart as their QB. :puke:
He also supposedly fought with Donahoe to draft Jevon Kearse instead of Troy Edwards.

BillsFever21
12-31-2007, 12:16 AM
:puke:

That guy is the biggest problem on the team. He's the director of Pro Personnel and decides who FAs we sign. :ill:

He is not the one who makes the decision on what FA's we sign. There are many factors involved.

He gives a scouting report on NFL players that are used towards signing FA's. The GM will then use his reports as a guide. The needs on your team, desired money and if the player even wants to join your team all plays a part on FA signings.

I highly doubt John Guy just makes up a list of the only players we can sign and then the GM just picks off of that list no matter what. A position like John Guy is used most for scouting older players to determine what they have left in the tank, unknown players to see if they have any potental in your sytem or even a highly drafed bust to see if they have any potential to possible turn into a useful player.

Even with all of them reports he doesn't decide who we sign. The GM will use his scouting reports and some of the input towards hiring but the GM ultimately decides who they go after. Then there are certain players that are just obviously good players that doesn't need John Guy to inform them they would be a good signing.

This doesn't mean I think John Guy should be the GM or that he is even good/bad at his position. It's just to dispute that he decides on who we sign and that is it.

I feel the biggest problems that contribute for our lack of good signings are most importantly Ralph and his self imposed budget limitations which in return helps towards us being a losing team. All of that impacts how FA's feel about coming to Buffalo.

All deciding factors on who a FA signs with are money, success of the team, their possible future success or all of the above. It all starts with the money that sends a trickle down effect through the rest of the system.

When more times then not that Ralph proves he won't dish out the money that takes us out of consideration for somebody only worried about money. For those who are not worried only about money the lack of the success of our team will be a deciding factor.

Even when our team shows some potential at that moment a lot of players will still be cautious about signing with us because they know most likely Ralph won't spend the money needed to keep that team around and/or help build it into a contender.

We have shown a few times in the last 8 years that Ralph will not do whatever it takes to build upon a team showing potential. Three different times our team showed marked improvement in a season in which most teams would be considered on the rise only to take a step back the following season or not make any major improvement after that.

So in the end it all starts with money and with Ralph being cheap. It either takes money to sign a player. It takes good players to build a winning team and it takes a winning team for players to want to come to Buffalo. Until the perception of our organiztion changes it will continue to be a hurdle to try and overcome.

BillsFever21
12-31-2007, 12:43 AM

I love these quotes too. Big deal if we picked up Lynch and Poz. They were to replace starters that were sent packing over money. They were just to replace positions we already had filled and not to significantly improve on what we already had.

I also don't see how somebody can label Poz in the group of the great moves. What has he done yet to prove to be a brilliant move? The three games he played before being injured was enough proof? It doesn't mean he was a bad move just as much as it can't prove he was a good move. It takes more then three games to be labeled a steal and what to remember the Marv tenure by.

Marv was way in over his head. He got punked in the draft and with trades. He was unable to use his resources available to get the most value out of his moves.

Whether it was drafting Whitner with the #8 pick instead of picking up extra draft picks for fear he would not be there a few spots later when there were still 2 blue chip QB's and a DT on the board that teams wanted. He could've easily been had a few spots later if they HAD to have him. Even drafting him over Ngata was a mistake.

Then there was trading failing to get the most out of the Takeo Spikes trade by trading for a player you didn't want to give the money to in the first place. At least he was able to trade him again but a 5th round pick along with the embarrassment our organization received by setting a precedent isn't enough.

There were more negatives then positives in the Marv tenure. If all Marv will be remembered for is Lynch and Poz then his tenure will be more of a failure then once thought. Poz hasn't proved a dime yet and it's not like Lynch was some unknown player he pulled out of his hat. He was the 2nd ranked RB on everyone's board. It didn't take a genius to draft him. He has yet to show he will be a gamebreaker either.

Spiderweb
12-31-2007, 02:51 AM
....and this should be a "surprise"? Marv is three days older than dirt (Wilson is four)
and kidding aside, the position requires mental acuity and physical stamina that few, if any, 82 year olds can muster. This isn't a knock on Marv, its simply father time.

Marv did what Ralph wanted him to do. He steadied the ship when the Donohoe mess imploded on our Bills. Also, it was thought by many that Marv accepted the job because he still held "dreams" of coaching one more time. In fact when Marv waffled on the question of coaching again (after having been hired as Bills GM), it was Ralph himself who stepped up the squash that talk.

We'll miss you Marv. Take care and God bless.

shelby
12-31-2007, 05:09 AM
Marv, to me, has personified the heart and determination of this team since his head coaching days.
i have a lot of respect for him.
Good luck to you Marv, you will be missed!

njsue
12-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Thank you Marv Levy. :up:

Bling
12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
I will give the old man props. I didn't think he would actually draft decently. Lynch and Edwards have been great pickups. And Poz looked nice. He exceeded my expectations.

henrybacker
12-31-2007, 02:53 PM
What would the people say about our GM if his name was not Marv Levy for the previous two seasons and instead was Joe Schmoe and made the EXACT same moves/non-moves?

justasportsfan
12-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Looks like The Marv "would rather be somewhere else than right here,right now" :ill:

henrybacker
01-02-2008, 07:39 AM
this forum of homers was obviously rocked to their core by Marv quitting.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2008, 10:46 AM
this forum of homers was obviously rocked to their core by Marv quitting.
You're a hater. Goodbye!

http://epguides.com/WeakestLink/cast.jpg

henrybacker
01-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Seriously, this is the weakest thread ever considering the importance of the matter. Me thinks there is a lot of crow eating and that has led to the lack of posts.

Dr. Lecter
01-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Seriously, this is the weakest thread ever considering the importance of the matter. Me thinks there is a lot of crow eating and that has led to the lack of posts.

Why is their crow eating?

Marv got the team moving in a much better direction than TD. No more overly high prices FAs. 2 drafts in a row that look like they are outstanding. The team appears to have depth that has experience. The team plays as a team, instead of a group of individuals.

No crow eating here.

Nighthawk
01-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Why is their crow eating?

Marv got the team moving in a much better direction than TD. No more overly high prices FAs. 2 drafts in a row that look like they are outstanding. The team appears to have depth that has experience. The team plays as a team, instead of a group of individuals.

No crow eating here.

The team is crappy on offense, crappy on defense and is still a losing team. Yeah, lots of progress there!

henrybacker
01-04-2008, 06:53 AM
No more overly high prices FAs. 2 drafts in a row that look like they are outstanding.

-I sincerely believe that you think this is true while to me it is blatantly not true. I am not going to take the time to try to convince you of the obvious. Simply list Marv's free agent signings and state which ones were overpaid and which ones were good signings. Then enjoy edwards next year when 2 years in a row top QB's were passed up in the draft, one for a safety, and one for a rb (at a hole you created by trading your rb). You now have a defense that can't stop anybody and an offensive line that can't run block to save their life for a quality RB in Lynch. 2 2nd round picks traded away to move up a few spots in the order to select McCargo and Poz. As if there weren't spots that could be addressed by those 2nd round picks. (cough *TE,WR,CB)