PDA

View Full Version : McNally must go as O-line coach

PromoTheRobot
12-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Mouse McNally came to the Bills with the rep of being one of the top O-line coaches. But he has done nothing since he's come here. YOu could argue he didn't have the talent, but they gave him two huge FA linemen this year and still nothing. CBS showed a graphic saying the Bills on average had 60lbs and 4 inches on the Philly D-line. You have that much size advantage and you can't move the pile? That's coaching.

PTR

hydro
12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
If there is anything on this team we don't need to worry about, i would say its the o-line. I agree we didn't get much of a push on running plays but pass protection this year was the best i have seen in a while for buffalo. I would like to see us get a different center but other than that i think we need to focus on other positions.

PromoTheRobot
12-30-2007, 04:18 PM
If there is anything on this team we don't need to worry about, i would say its the o-line. I agree we didn't get much of a push on running plays but pass protection this year was the best i have seen in a while for buffalo. I would like to see us get a different center but other than that i think we need to focus on other positions.
Pass protection was adequate at times. Run blocking was horrible. When you are that big and you can't gain one yard should tell you something ain't right.

PTR

McBFLO
12-30-2007, 05:26 PM
If I remember correctly, the graphic that CBS showed was for the "front 7" for the defense. Obviously we'd have a size/weight advatnage if they're including the linebackers.

I think we should clean house and bring in Russ Grimm as our head coach.

mysticsoto
12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Mouse McNally came to the Bills with the rep of being one of the top O-line coaches. But he has done nothing since he's come here. YOu could argue he didn't have the talent, but they gave him two huge FA linemen this year and still nothing. CBS showed a graphic saying the Bills on average had 60lbs and 4 inches on the Philly D-line. You have that much size advantage and you can't move the pile? That's coaching.

PTR
I have to disagree with you here. That is not coaching. I have mentioned this before. The line has been coached well for protecting the QB in pass situations, but they clearly haven't been hitting the weights enough and b'cse of that don't get the push that they should. I blame this on the training regimen that has been installed for them. They may be taking it lightly to stay healthy during the season. Now in the offseason, they better hit the weights hard and come back as strong as their size might dictate them to be. The strength/physical trainer should create a regimen for each lineman to follow and come in next season in much stronger shape!!!

G. Host
12-30-2007, 10:18 PM
The line is big and soft not strong.

realdealryan
12-30-2007, 10:25 PM
The pass protection was good enough to protect Bledsoe this year. But the same big heavy guys who are hard to move from a pass rushing standpoint can't move themselves in a run blocking situation, apparently.

Marshawn got to the second level untouched through a big hole ONE TIME today. And he went for like 60 yards.

LABillsFan
12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
It started when Rusty Jones was let go of, I said it then that it was not a good move and I'll say it again. Conditioning has a lot to do with it.

MikeInRoch
12-31-2007, 12:53 AM
You are right. We should get rid of a coach who made a pro bowl left tackle from an undrafted FA.

Spiderweb
12-31-2007, 02:39 AM
I have to disagree with you here. That is not coaching. I have mentioned this before. The line has been coached well for protecting the QB in pass situations, but they clearly haven't been hitting the weights enough and b'cse of that don't get the push that they should. I blame this on the training regimen that has been installed for them. They may be taking it lightly to stay healthy during the season. Now in the offseason, they better hit the weights hard and come back as strong as their size might dictate them to be. The strength/physical trainer should create a regimen for each lineman to follow and come in next season in much stronger shape!!!

Strength? Might the issue also be that we're using zone blocking schemes with a line that should be mainly using power schemes?

Bulldog
12-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Might the issue also be that the Bills passing game sucks balls? Teams stack the line and dare Buffalo to beat them through the air. And most times, they couldn't.

njsue
12-31-2007, 08:05 AM
It started when Rusty Jones was let go of, I said it then that it was not a good move and I'll say it again. Conditioning has a lot to do with it.

Thank you!

Phelge
12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I think a few of the coaches have been mailing it in for more than a few weeks.

raphael120
12-31-2007, 11:26 AM
I'd like to know how many times everyone else saw our Olinemen on their asses.

Almost every single play I saw someone knocked on his ass.

Just pathetic..our Oline is soft.

mysticsoto
12-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Might the issue also be that the Bills passing game sucks balls? Teams stack the line and dare Buffalo to beat them through the air. And most times, they couldn't.

To be fair, the original assessment of the line was talking about 4th and inches and how they are frequently unable to get those inches despite being much bigger than the Dlines put in front of them. With the size of the Oline, we should be able to make those every time...and yet, we don't. I do agree that losing Rusty was a huge cause of our current problem. Yet another reason Mularkey set us back for years to come...

Wys Guy
12-31-2007, 04:26 PM

Huh?

We ran fewer plays than any team in the league, even the Niners.

We were only ahead of the Niners in 1st downs.

We were 27th in time-of-possession ahead of five other putrid offensive teams and only marginally better than we were last year.

That doesn't happen if the OL is something you don't have to worry about. Either that or our QBs, RBs, and WRs suck hind teat. Ya can't have it both ways though.

LABillsFan
12-31-2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=85904&highlight=rusty+jones

Just thought I would dig this up. It was a while ago.

justasportsfan
01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Bump.

Now that Houck was fired from Miami , should we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Houck

Thoughts?

mysticsoto
01-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Bump.

Now that Houck was fired from Miami , should we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Houck

Thoughts?

I'd be against it. While I think Houck is a decent coach, I'd prefer to keep continuity here. For the most part, the entire Oline played together this entire season and with a little weight training, I think they can improve their run blocking. McNally may have chosen to concentrate on one thing and make them good at it. Now let's see if they can improve the other side and become great.

Given that you want Olines to be together for a long time, I would make sure I draft their future center this year - someone with potential, but needing a year or two would be perfect. I'd like Velasco in the 5th right now...