PDA

View Full Version : AP: Source says Levy may stay through draft

Philagape
12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
off the wire ...

A person with the Bills told The Associated Press on Sunday evening there had been discussion about Levy stepping down, but not until after the NFL draft in April.

Devin
12-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Which almost ensures modrak or guy taking over.

cordog
12-30-2007, 06:27 PM
It'll be Modrak, for sure

Nighthawk
12-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Which would be a mistake.

Meathead
12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
i like the idea of marv staying on as a consultant. that means he can still heavily influence the dynamics of the organization

between naps of course

Discotrish
12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
So there is no hope of ever improving the offensive line?

Patti

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
What a ****ing joke this franchise is.

I'm sorry. But it's true. Wins and Losses are evidence of that.

Levy is stepping down and Modrak's fingerprints are all over the Levy era AND the Donahoe era.

So we're going to reward him by making him GM????????????????

Gimme a ****ing break already with this organization.

Night Train
12-30-2007, 06:34 PM
It'll be Modrak, for sure

I see it as a longshot.

He built a house in Jacksonville 2 years ago and prefers scouting to finish his career.Turned down the GM job, prior to Marv. Doesn't wish to live in in Buffalo. In his mid 60's.

Doesn't add up.

Nighthawk
12-30-2007, 06:35 PM

Levy is stepping down and Modrak's fingerprints are all over the Levy era AND the Donahoe era.

Pat, don't you know that this team is going in the right direction? They're just rebuilding...give them time. [sarcasm]

Nighthawk
12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I see it as a longshot.

He built a house in Jacksonville 2 years ago and prefers scouting to finish his career.Turned down the GM job, prior to Marv. Doesn't wish to live in in Buffalo. In his mid 60's.

Doesn't add up.

Hope you're right.

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 06:46 PM
You have an opportunity in three HUGE WAYS to improve this franchise.

1- Tons of cap room.

2- An upgrade at offensive coordinator.

3- A Gm who in all due respect to Marv, is much more proven at the position, or at least someone with a lot more "upside".

Why does Ralph Wilson logic tell me that we're going to promote MOdrak for GM and Turk for OC. Why dont we just skip next year and mark us down for 7 wins already so we can move on to 2009.

The Jokeman
12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I see it as a longshot.

Doesn't add up.
I tend to agree with you but feel be foolish going out of the organization as could cause some unrest for Jauron. So perhaps it could lead to Jim Overdorf taking over as GM but we then name someone else to be a talent evaluator type position. Perhaps John Guy gets named something like vice president of player personnel and we then bring in someone from outside the organization to fill Guy's old role as chief pro scout.

cordog
12-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Pat, don't you know that this team is going in the right direction? They're just rebuilding...give them time. [sarcasm]

The reason he turned down the job last time was because of his friendship with TD. I think he will be the GM, and has been the actual GM for the last 2 years.

Nighthawk
12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
The reason he turned down the job last time was because of his friendship with TD. I think he will be the GM, and has been the actual GM for the last 2 years.

Agreed.

LifetimeBillsFan
12-30-2007, 07:10 PM
So there is no hope of ever improving the offensive line?

Patti

The offensive line will get better IF:

1.) they stay together and continue to work together (unless you can get an All-Pro who can step in and make everyone around him better--which the Bills are not going to be able to do this offseason--a minor upgrade in talent is not worth what is lost in continuity, which is very important to offensive line play);

2.) the Bills add a big, fast WR who can show opposing defenses that he will make them pay (or allow Lee Evans to make them pay) for putting 8-9 defenders in the box to stop the Bills' running game--5 linemen and 2 TEs can't block 8 or 9 defenders;

3.) Trent Edwards learns to stop tipping off the running plays 2-6 seconds before the snap (if he's going to call "check with me" running plays at the line of scrimmage, he has to learn how to make phony calls at the line, like P. Manning and T.Brady do all the time, to disguise the real "check with me" calls and confuse the defense)--if the defense knows what the play is going to be before the ball is snapped every time you run the ball, they are going to be able to get into position to overpower the offensive line at least 50% of the time, if not more;

4.) the Bills get an offensive coordinator who doesn't run the ball 90% of the time on first down, but mixes things up (adding the speed-draw that T.Thomas used to run so successfully would also make it easier for the offensive line to open up holes for the RBs) better so that the Bills' play-calling is not as predictable as it has been;

5.) M.Lynch becomes more consistent and does a better job of hitting the hole when it is there--Lynch's inexperience showed at times when he didn't read his blocks properly and missed the hole; Lynch is a tough runner who can make something out of nothing, but he also has a tendency to "run to contact" rather than "run to daylight"; hopefully, with a full offseason and training camp, along with the experience he gained this season, he will do a better job of finding the openings that the offensive line does create and the creases in the defense when they do appear (he got better at doing these things as the season progressed, but there is still plenty of room for him to improve in this area);

6.) Trent Edwards continues to develop and the Bills start to get more consistent and productive play from the QB position--when a QB is able to make the defense pay for stacking the box against the run by hitting his receivers in stride consistently and can audible out of bad play calls and give the team a play that has a chance of succeeding against the defensive play call, it throws the defense off-balance and gives the offensive line a better chance to do their job properly.

If the Bills improve in all of these areas, their offensive line will look a lot better. Yes, the offensive linemen have to do a better job, but the rest of the team also has to do these things better to help them out. A big problem that I saw in the games that I watched this season was that, very often, the offensive line was not put into a position to succeed at the task that they were assigned and there were times when they did do their job as well as could be expected, but they were let down by their teammates failings. The Bills offensive line was not as good as it could have been this season, but it also wasn't as bad as it appeared at times as well (better play-calling would have helped a LOT!).

DynaPaul
12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm kind of surprised that Marv is leaving. Is it health reasons or something? He's only been here 2 drafts.

guy
12-30-2007, 07:56 PM

Post Edited.

-Devin

njsue
12-30-2007, 09:21 PM
He may stay on as a consultant.

shelby
12-31-2007, 05:55 AM
Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. is scheduled to come to Buffalo this week for meetings with the team's front office. An announcement is likely to come later this week. It was not clear whether Levy would step back and retain some kind of role within the team's administration. Levy did not attend Sunday's season finale.
There is not an obvious candidate within the Bills' football department to replace Levy. Tom Modrak is the Bills' director of college scouting, but he would not be in line for the position. He was not interested in leaving his spot as the head college scout the last time the Bills went looking for a general manager.
If the Bills wanted to say within the organization, one possibility would be to enhance the responsibilities of other top executives in the front office, such as Russ Brandon, the team's executive vice president of business operations, and Jim Overdorf, the team's vice president of football administration.

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/239974.html?imw=Y)

Historian
12-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Russ Brandon?

Jesus Christ.

:rolleyes:

Night Train
12-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Russ Brandon?

Jesus Christ.

:rolleyes:

And this surprises you ? If he turns it down, Ralph will offer it to one of the ticket office girls, because he knows her face.

Mahdi
12-31-2007, 07:45 AM
I tend to agree with you but feel be foolish going out of the organization as could cause some unrest for Jauron. So perhaps it could lead to Jim Overdorf taking over as GM but we then name someone else to be a talent evaluator type position. Perhaps John Guy gets named something like vice president of player personnel and we then bring in someone from outside the organization to fill Guy's old role as chief pro scout.
This seems like the most logical and best direction for the Bills. Going out of the organization would create way too much change and could set the team back. We are only a couple of players away from really competing for a playoff spot blowing the whole thing up is not going to help this team.