PDA

View Full Version : Pat's Post Game. 12 Points

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm not going to comment on the Levy situation for two reasons.
A) I don't know enough about it (plus I already know Modrak will be the GM)
B) There is plenty of threads for that already.

1. In a way, I'm glad that Evans got hurt and missed the remainder of the game today. I hope the "next" GM gets the memo's that our receiving corp outside of him absolutely SUCK. I mean, they could possibly be the worst in the ENTIRE NFL. Josh Reed gets open for 10-15 yards maybe 1-2 times per game, and outside of that nobody is EVER open more than 5 yards from the line. You people can bash Edwards all you want, bash Losman all you want, it doesn't matter. This receiving corp is ****ing PATHETIC and Peyton Manning wouldn't do much. That is between the WR's and ..

2. Steve Fairchild. There are no words to describe how grateful I am to Colorado State for taking him off our hands. I hope they realize they hired a female head coach though, because Fairchild hasn't a set of balls. Jesus, where do I begin? 4 straight runs after a McNab fumble? A 3rd and goal from the 16 "screen" pass to Fred Jackson? (guess he didn't learn last time). I can go on and on. 20 years from now when we're hopefully all still talking Buffalo Bills, this guy will go down as one of the biggest pansies in this franchises' history. He's THAT bad and THAT much of a coward. Which leads too....

3. Dick Jauron. I will admit, I bought into the national media not long ago about what a fantastic job he's done with this team. I was WRONG, and so was the "national" media. He's as big a coward as anybody, and I've also heard from people who would know that as much as we bash Fairchild, Jauron's headset is programmed to the offense and he has the final say in playcalling and has for almost the entire season. I am SOOOOO sick of having a head coach that calls a game to NOT get blown out every single damn time we play a decent team. At the end of the day, Jauron was a garbage game-day coach. Maybe he'd be a good assistant, but he's no game day coach. The bottom line is we beat up the bottom feeders of the league and lost (like sissies) to every decent team we played. Here's the deal. If you want 6-9 wins every year from now to eternity, then Jauron is your guy.

4. Why does John McCargo NOT play more? This guy makes more plays in limited playing time than anybody on the team (plays to playmaking ratio I"m talking). Kyle Williams is NOT good enough to start. He was getting mauled all over the field today (again). McCargo I think is good enough to start at the 1-gap. He BETTER be starting next year.

5. If you want to be happy about a INT that was ALL on McNab's awful decision then by my guest. BUt now i know why Ashton Youboty doesn't play. He sucks! He gets burned on a 3rd down stop that leads to a Philly TD. He whiffs on a sack. If anybody paid attention, it was also him that threw a lazy shoulder into the punter who ended up tackling Roscoe Parrish on what could've been a punt return TD. This guy is AFRAID of contact. He's a chump. I highly doubt he's on this roster next year.

6. I didn't know this until it was said on TV today. Josh Reed has the most catches in the NFL without a TD. That says volumes. This offense is going nowhere until we get some real receivers in here. Anyone who thinks he had a "good year" and deserves to start next year must be accepting of total complete mediocrity. He's a 3rd WR at best. Then again, I think he could do that well. It's not his fault our GMs have been so piss poor at acquiring skilled talent that he's forced to start.

7. Please dear God. Let Ko Simpson be healthy next year and Donte Whitner resemble an impact safety so Jim Leonhard sees the field as little as possible. He's brutal.

8. Speaking of Whitner. I chuckle at how people's defense on here is that he doesn't "give up the big play." Guess what, Mark Kelso didn't give up many big plays either. Did that make him an impact safety? Was he worthy of the 8th overall pick because he doesn't get beat often? Unless he turns out (and really soon) to actually make an impact for this team, I'm not afraid to say that through two seasons, he's been a bust.

9. I was a huge Trent Edwards supporter. I still am. But he has a LONG way to go. First let me defend him. I think he's strapped by a horrible offensive staff, and even more so by a putrid core of receivers. That would put ANY QB behind the 8 ball. But even with that, at times he suddenly seems a lot more "rushed" and I'm seeing him looking to dump it off to quickly as a problem. He's either dead on the money or God awful with his accuracy. I"m banking on that being because he's a rookie and I havent seen many QB's in the history of the league that weren't as rookies. Still, he needs a whole lot of improving, though I stand by this staff totally being a joke as a reasonable excuse.

10. I watched a lot of the Bears game today (bet on it). Given what this defense needs, his age and the fact he's just now in his prime; I would highly consider making Lance Briggs my primary FA target this offseason. He's worth the money. Keith Ellison is NOT physical enough to stand up against the better RB's in this league. For that matter, our LB coverage in zone schemes is brutal. Which leads to ..

11. Perry Fewel. Without getting too much into it, I wouldn't be overly hurt to see him sign elsewhere. I hate this cover two. Our front four is NOT good enough to consistently get pressure on the QB without big blitzing. Kelsay was a bad signing in that we overpaid for him, which led to having to overpay for Schobel. As a result, we're not going to do anything significant with our DE's this offseason.

12. Marshawn Lynch has been the bright spot of the season for me. As a rookie, he's everything I've asked for and more. He was in the top 5 in the NFL in rush yards per game as a rookie. He has tremendous heart, he runs with a purpose and he's well liked in the community. IN what LITTLE we actually throw him the ball, he shows that he can make big plays. Hopefully next year he'll learn that sometimes you just have to give up on a play and not take a big loss. Outside of that, this guy truly is a beast and will be one of the best RB's in the league in very little time. I can definitely see him as a 1,500+ yard rusher next year with some better talent around him.

SUMMARY: The ball is in Ralph Wilson's court. DOes he want TRULY care most about winning? This is an extraordinarily average team, middle of the road at best. We have the 3rd most cap room in the NFL entering Free agency. WE will spend on some MUCH needed help at 3-4 positions, or will we try to find bargain-basement finds? We have an opportunity to hire a bright-mind GM who will make changes. Will Wilson spend for one, or will Modrak, who's hands all are over the mediocrity here for nearly a decade, be handed the job by default? Will we spend on a GOOD offensive coordinator? Or we will go the cheapest route possible?

This offseason is CRITICAL to this organization and maybe even the future of this franchise. There are PLENTY of talented guys getting into their prime to build around (Lynch, Evans, Peters, Edwards, Crowell, Whitner, Poz, McCargo). Fans and deservedly so will be much less patient with this team in 2008. WE don't have guys like Clements and Fletcher to worry about retaining this time around. How will Wilson approach this?

patmoran2006
12-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Forgot one other point.
Rich Gannon is the best color commentator on television, period.

I learned PLENTY today by listening to him. From the Edwards giving away running plays to Josh Reed's stat about leading the NFL in touchdown-less receptions.

What a great color guy he is.

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Gannon should be a coach somewhere. The guy is flat out smart. I wouldn't be suprised if he stepped into coaching soon.

YardRat
12-30-2007, 07:00 PM
1. We need to address WR thru FA and the draft, both.

2. Good riddance.

3. It's official. We beat a playoff team.

4. A top flight DT may not be in the works if McCargo gets inserted into the starting line-up, but a second tier FA may be a possibility.

5. Youboty will probably be cut.

6. I think most feel, and have stated several times, that Reed is ideally suited for the slot. If he replaces Price at #2 to start next year, the offense isn't going to improve much.

7. Leonhard should be cut with Youboty.

8. Whitner's draft position has been a moot point since he stepped on the field as a starter game 1 of his rookie year. I really look forward to him being paired with Simpson again next year.

9. Long way to go, but at least we know he'll be under center next year and I feel a helluva lot better about that than if it was JP again.

10. Briggs would be nice, and hopefully any connection to Jauron will help, but I still think it's a pipe dream. He's going to get a gawd-awful contract this year.

11. Fewell needs to tweak a few things, but I don't think he's done that poorly considering the circumstances. The run defense has shown definite flashes, put the pass defense, especially on third down, has just flat-out sucked.

12. ML still needs to grow, also. Blitz pick-up, hitting the hole, negative plays, etc. But he's a stud and had a great rookie campaign.

SUMMARY - I don't think Modrak is money in the bank, and Ralph isn't going to open up the wallet for a name guy to come in here and start over. My guess is Ralph is content with the direction the team is going and he's going to not want to disrupt chemistry/continuity as much as possible.

It's playoffs in '08, or scrap everything and start over once again.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-30-2007, 07:47 PM
our receiving corp outside of him absolutely SUCK.

He's not much better. I wouldn't shed any tears for his departure as long as we get a good replacement... preferably above 6'3".